ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer....the sequel

Bringing this back for my holiday tips so far:

3 Floyd’s Alpha Klaus, my personal favorite to celebrate the holy day, is available at Meijers for $12. Fantastic beer at a fantastic price.

Another fav that’s local is Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Peppermint Porter. I found that at Kroger for way less than I spent at my local liquor store.

I’ve got these two along with Against the Grain 35K, Founders KBS, and Country Boy Hazelnut Stout for the family gathering.
Merry Christmas, fellow beer snobs.

Still waiting to try Alchemist's Heady Topper so I can be pissed there was ever such a fuss over a beer.

Waited for years. Then, finally got a chance and was disappointed. Of course, when I started pining for it, the discussion was Hopslam or Heady Topper as best. Now, I have to wonder if the can I got was somehow not representative.

Bringing this back for my holiday tips so far:

3 Floyd’s Alpha Klaus, my personal favorite to celebrate the holy day, is available at Meijers for $12. Fantastic beer at a fantastic price.

Another fav that’s local is Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Peppermint Porter. I found that at Kroger for way less than I spent at my local liquor store.

I’ve got these two along with Against the Grain 35K, Founders KBS, and Country Boy Hazelnut Stout for the family gathering.
Merry Christmas, fellow beer snobs.
Alpha Klaus is a beer I look forward to. I was too busy this year and missed it, but thankfully pulled the last six pack off the shelf at a local liquor store last week. That and Black Butte (anniversary version) are my fav porters, for different reasons.

70k Amburana from Against the Grain is one of the best stouts I have had.

Reactions: Rebelfreedomeagle
It’s cool that y’all have such a long thread on beer. Wish I could contribute, but I am in the tiny minority that doesn’t like beer. Can’t stand the taste. The most tolerable I’ve had was Belgium beer. Still not good, but Iess bitter.

It’s cool that y’all have such a long thread on beer. Wish I could contribute, but I am in the tiny minority that doesn’t like beer. Can’t stand the taste. The most tolerable I’ve had was Belgium beer. Still not good, but Iess bitter.
Merry Christmas ... try a super juicy New England style IPA or a double Imperial ... but your best shot will Bourbon barrel aged flavored Stouts .. try them with coca nibs and vanilla , or aged with berries or maple .. you will enjoy , but they are only for sipping , not drinking like a Budweiser .

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Merry Christmas ... try a super juicy New England style IPA or a double Imperial ... but your best shot will Bourbon barrel aged flavored Stouts .. try them with coca nibs and vanilla , or aged with berries or maple .. you will enjoy , but they are only for sipping , not drinking like a Budweiser .
Thx, maybe I will. And I sip everything.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Anyone brew their own? I've gathered a ton of info and have some supplies needed but haven't taken the plunge. I'm gonna give it a go eventually. It would be a good retirement hobby.

Been drinking this one lately. Very nice, a bit lighter than an IPA and not breaking the bank at $8.99 a six.
Been reversing course back to the more bitter Lagunitas IPA and yesterday Liquor Barn (formerly Deps) had a Brewdog closeout for $12.99 a case.
shopping

large.png

Been reversing course back to the more bitter Lagunitas IPA and yesterday Liquor Barn (formerly Deps) had a Brewdog closeout for $12.99 a case.
shopping

large.png
They brew some good beers. Brown Shugga is really tasty but I think it only comes out around Christmas time.

Reactions: jameslee32
Anyone brew their own? I've gathered a ton of info and have some supplies needed but haven't taken the plunge. I'm gonna give it a go eventually. It would be a good retirement hobby.

If I liked beer more, I would. I've considered making my own bourbon/liqueur but start up costs were prohibitive.

Had a Big Bad Baptiste last night. Always good. That Epic stout, regardless of version, is solid. A couple of weeks ago, had a version of 75k in a can that was undrinkable and a waste of the >$20 I paid for a 4 pack. I don’t know if it was a bad batch or if Against the Grain just screwed up. Not sure I will pay for something from them that I don’t know again.

Had a Big Bad Baptiste last night. Always good. That Epic stout, regardless of version, is solid. A couple of weeks ago, had a version of 75k in a can that was undrinkable and a waste of the >$20 I paid for a 4 pack. I don’t know if it was a bad batch or if Against the Grain just screwed up. Not sure I will pay for something from them that I don’t know again.
truth is there is a lot of bad beers out there ... so many new breweries , large investments , and there beer is just meh' .. truth is Ive gotten bored with the craft beer scene .. its not got much more to offer IMO .. I still dig a great NEIPA or a double / triple imperial IPA , or a BA stout , or pastry stout .. but after many years drinking high end highly rated stuff from all over the world in the end its just a beer . and its good . lol

I posted 75k, but it’s 70k. The original is a great stout and the Amburana version may be one of the best stouts I have tasted. But, I get it, it’s just beer. That is why I try to keep West Sixth’s Pennyrile in my fridge at all times. Not too expensive and solid drinkable beer for all occasions.

I haven't had anything from west sixth that is worthy of mention. Just a very average place . And same with Country boy .. a few average to slightly above average beers , nothing at all that rises to a 4.2 or 4.4 on a scale of 1-5

Jackie O's in Athens Oh is a GREAT producer of stouts , check them out , or Listermanns or Street Side in Cincy , both very very good .

Just had a Mango Carte. Texas Roadhouse of all places had it on tap. Deee licious.
Had those on draft at the Peddler's Pavillion off of 30A. Easily crushable on a hot summer day but so is Summer Shandy at a much cheaper price. Just as good too.

Waiting on my pizza and drinking a Pennyrile. That W6 beer is a reliable solid pale. Not sure I enjoy many normal priced beers more. Maybe Wicked Weed Pernicious? Bow Echo is another I like.

Enjoying a few Golden Road Mango Carts. Some beers I've been enjoying lately: Bourbon County Stout 2019, Founders French Toast Bastard, Stone Tangerine and Pineapple IPA, and my fave of all time Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT