ADVERTISEMENT

Film Fans - Greatest Movies

Not sure if Good Time has been mentioned, but wow:

Pattinson was really impressive and continues to distance himself from the Twilight series. Along with Uncut Gems, I'm really looking forward to what the Safdie Brothers do in the future. They're almost like a darker version of the Coens.
On your Pattinson point, he got crapped on for the sparkly vampire nonsense, but he really is a fantastic actor. I predicted after The Lighthouse came out that he'll win an Oscar at some point during the 2020's. He's also really good in The Lost City of Z.

On your Pattinson point, he got crapped on for the sparkly vampire nonsense, but he really is a fantastic actor. I predicted after The Lighthouse came out that he'll win an Oscar at some point during the 2020's. He's also really good in The Lost City of Z.
I will add, though it wasn't a movie, the best thing I have ever seen-be it a movie or mini series or in a theater is Band of Brothers. My PawPaw was 101st Airborne. Not Easy Company but he was there. My Family has quite a few items he sent home from the Eagles Nest, so that series strikes a major chord with me.
Love Band of Brothers and WW2 history. Very cool about your grandfather. Both of mine were in the war too - one at Iwo Jima, one of the largest battles in the Pacific Theater. Been meaning to watch The Pacific - the follow up to Band of Brothers. Any fans of The Pacific here?

Last edited:
I understand that it's blasphemy and I will receive a lot of blowback, but I think Christian Bale might be the next Daniel Day Lewis. The guy's commitment to a role is really impressive.
No blowback from me! Bale is one of the best. One of my favorite a-little-under-radar roles of his is American Hustle. He plays a con-man and gained like 60 pounds for the role. Of course I love his Batman, but also American Psycho, 3:10 Yuma, the Prestige and The Big Short. I’m sure I’m forgetting some other good ones.

No blowback from me! Bale is one of the best. One of my favorite a-little-under-radar roles of his is American Hustle. He plays a con-man and gained like 60 pounds for the role. Of course I love his Batman, but also American Psycho, 3:10 Yuma, the Prestige and The Big Short. I’m sure I’m forgetting some other good ones.
Christian Bale did The Machinist where he had to look like an anorexic person then turned around and started doing Batman. The movies were released a year apart so he had to have put his body thru some absolute hell to bulk up for Batman.

Christian Bale did The Machinist where he had to look like an anorexic person then turned around and started doing Batman. The movies were released a year apart so he had to have put his body thru some absolute hell to bulk up for Batman.
Yeah, I know about that, but still haven’t seen the machinist. Crazy stuff. Hope all the extremes he’s put on his body hasn’t hurt his long term health

Watched my first Harry Potter film all the way through last night - the first, The Sorcerer’s Stone. I had probably 2/3 of this movie in scattered pieces over the years, but the kids finally snarred me into watching from start to finish.

I can see the appeal for younger kids. I’m sure if I was a young teen or pre-teen and read the books I would love it like most of them do. However, I’m in my 40’s and not nostalgic about the stories. I thought it was fine - I wasn’t blown away nor did I think it was terrible. I felt it was mostly entertaining, but at times the child acting felt a little stiff. I would give it a 6-7/10

Reactions: christophero
Yeah, I know about that, but still haven’t seen the machinist. Crazy stuff. Hope all the extremes he’s put on his body hasn’t hurt his long term health
I don’t see how it could possibly help. It’s just not healthy to gain or lose weight as quickly as he sometimes does. I imagine he takes performance enhancing drugs and who the **** knows what’s in that stuff. Supplements and the like are practically one step away from being unregulated.

Reactions: point1zero
I don’t see how it could possibly help. It’s just not healthy to gain or lose weight as quickly as he sometimes does. I imagine he takes performance enhancing drugs and who the **** knows what’s in that stuff. Supplements and the like are practically one step away from being unregulated.
The weight gain part doesn’t seem hard. I’ve gained 7-8 pounds both of my last 2 week-long vacations, lol. Problem is getting back off! Takes about 3-4 weeks. So unfair!

The weight gain part doesn’t seem hard. I’ve gained 7-8 pounds both of my last 2 week-long vacations, lol. Problem is getting back off! Takes about 3-4 weeks. So unfair!
Not that hard to do. Drink lots of water. Lay off the sugar and fast food. Throw in some intermittent fasting and you can quickly drop weight without even working out. Excercising will take the weight loss to another level.

Who’s watching what this last weekend before football season kicks off? The top of my watchlist includes:

Inside Llewelyn Davis
Drive

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
My wife wants to watch some of the Friday the 13th movies tonight.

My favorite one is Part 2.
Did you get around to this and if so how’d it go, lol?!

btw, just let me know if you still want to talk about that other thing we were discussing a few months back.

Did you get around to this and if so how’d it go, lol?!

btw, just let me know if you still want to talk about that other thing we were discussing a few months back.

We watched parts 2 and 3 and it was fun.

I've been watching The Jinx documentary. I'm on episode 3. We took a pause and watched "All Good Things" which is the movie version. Both are pretty good.

Regarding the other thing, I've been dealing with some multiple but unrelated health issues. I haven't even felt like doing many of fun things I love to do.

We watched parts 2 and 3 and it was fun.

I've been watching The Jinx documentary. I'm on episode 3. We took a pause and watched "All Good Things" which is the movie version. Both are pretty good.

Regarding the other thing, I've been dealing with some multiple but unrelated health issues. I haven't even felt like doing many of fun things I love to do.
Dang man, sorry to here that! Hope it’s nothing too serious and you’re 100% again soon! And just let me know if/when you’re ready about the other thing.

Reactions: bigdaddy741
Finished Llewyn Davis tonight. The Coen Bros almost always deliver and they did here for sure. As a big music fan and guitarist, I was thoroughly impressed not only with Oscar Isaac’s great acting performance, but with his musicianship as well. I had no idea he was that musically talented! If the character Davis’ plight wasn’t so tragic it would be a comedy. This movie had me laughing out loud numerous times between the down-and-out hardships of the lead character. On a single viewing I’d give it a 9/10.

Watched my first Harry Potter film all the way through last night - the first, The Sorcerer’s Stone. I had probably 2/3 of this movie in scattered pieces over the years, but the kids finally snarred me into watching from start to finish.

I can see the appeal for younger kids. I’m sure if I was a young teen or pre-teen and read the books I would love it like most of them do. However, I’m in my 40’s and not nostalgic about the stories. I thought it was fine - I wasn’t blown away nor did I think it was terrible. I felt it was mostly entertaining, but at times the child acting felt a little stiff. I would give it a 6-7/10
The Potter series gets really good by the 3rd film, Prisoner of Azkaban.

Reign of Fire

Reactions: BC_Wader
Finished Llewyn Davis tonight. The Coen Bros almost always deliver and they did here for sure. As a big music fan and guitarist, I was thoroughly impressed not only with Oscar Isaac’s great acting performance, but with his musicianship as well. I had no idea he was that musically talented! If the character Davis’ plight wasn’t so tragic it would be a comedy. This movie had me laughing out loud numerous times between the down-and-out hardships of the lead character. On a single viewing I’d give it a 9/10.

I love Coen brothers movies but I haven't seen that one.

I'm definitely going to now.

They are brilliant film makers.

The "Greatest Movies" are quite subjective.

That's why this thread was started.

Some of us have watched all the classics for the last 100+ years, others have not.

We want to know YOUR opinion regardless of the range of movies you've seen.

Hopefully, we can influence you to step outside your comfort zone and watch movies you typically would not watch.

You can become a true Cinefile if that is your desire (and that is my goal)

Or you can simply comment on your favorite movies, genre, etc.

My hope is that some of you try some older, great movies and appreciate them for what they were WHEN THEY WERE MADE!

If you are young some things may seem cliched but they have an origin.

Who’s watching what this last weekend before football season kicks off? The top of my watchlist includes:

Inside Llewelyn Davis
Drive
Watched The Outpost and Malice in the Palace yesterday during the rain. Both were great and both on Netflix.

Have taken a little break from movies to binge season 7 of Alone. I love that damn show for some reason, lol. Finished it up last night. Also, finally watching the latest few Walking Dead episodes. I used to really love that show (up through the first 6-7 seasons). But it’s getting really hard to hang with it now, recycled plots, fewer original characters and all. But I’m still curious how it all plays out so I guess I’ll keep trying.

Wondering how many movies I’ll watch once FB (and then BB too) get going? I usually re-watch the FB game mid-week. Then when FB & BB are going at the same time it’s almost all sports viewing. I’m gonna try to stick with watching some films though, but I t’s just easier April through August. You guys please help keep me motivated!

Have taken a little break from movies to binge season 7 of Alone. I love that damn show for some reason, lol. Finished it up last night. Also, finally watching the latest few Walking Dead episodes. I used to really love that show (up through the first 6-7 seasons). But it’s getting really hard to hang with it now, recycled plots, fewer original characters and all. But I’m still curious how it all plays out so I guess I’ll keep trying.

Wondering how many movies I’ll watch once FB (and then BB too) get going? I usually re-watch the FB game mid-week. Then when FB & BB are going at the same time it’s almost all sports viewing. I’m gonna try to stick with watching some films though, but I t’s just easier April through August. You guys please help keep me motivated!
I said from the beginning that if they decided to kill of Rick or he leaves the show then I was done. And I was. Rick was the show.

Alone is pretty good when I watch it. Not a regular viewer but it's good. Now that is surviving! Unlike that stupid ass Survivor where if they get voted out there is a hot meal and a shower right around the corner. I never saw the appeal of that show. Ever. Even the first season with Richard Hatch was terrible.

I said from the beginning that if they decided to kill of Rick or he leaves the show then I was done. And I was. Rick was the show.

Alone is pretty good when I watch it. Not a regular viewer but it's good. Now that is surviving! Unlike that stupid ass Survivor where if they get voted out there is a hot meal and a shower right around the corner. I never saw the appeal of that show. Ever. Even the first season with Richard Hatch was terrible.
Yeah, I’m almost with you. I think it’s still ok, just not great like it was. Without Rick it’s just not the same. Plus I don’t get why such a long time jump after he left. Rick’s supposed to be back for a TWD movie. How they explain where the hell he’s been that is even remotely believable? Please don’t give that tired “he’s had amnesia” storyline!

Last night… first ever viewing of Requiem For a Dream. I always thought the male lead was Ethan Hawke, and was surprised to see Jared Leto, lol! Great acting performances all around. Don’t do drugs kids! Really good film.

Tonight… just finished The Evil Dead. I wasn't sure I had seen it, but it felt familiar so I guess so - looong ago. Evil Dead 2 I definitely remember well and it’s freakin’ great. Super funny too. I plan to watch it again soon.

Last night… first ever viewing of Requiem For a Dream. I always thought the male lead was Ethan Hawke, and was surprised to see Jared Leto, lol! Great acting performances all around. Don’t do drugs kids! Really good film.

Tonight… just finished The Evil Dead. I wasn't sure I had seen it, but it felt familiar so I guess so - looong ago. Evil Dead 2 I definitely remember well and it’s freakin’ great. Super funny too. I plan to watch it again soon.

I might be in the minority but I prefer the first Evil Dead over ED2.

The remake is pretty good too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT