ADVERTISEMENT

Film Fans - Greatest Movies

Watched The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo over the weekend too. I thought this was pretty great. Too bad the American adaptations of the sequels were never made as planned. Anyone seen the European versions? Worth checking out?

Reactions: chroix and megablue
Watched The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo over the weekend too. I thought this was pretty great. Too bad the American adaptations of the sequels were never made as planned. Anyone seen the European versions? Worth checking out?
They were pretty good. Didn't the author die of mysterious circumstances?

I’ve been trying to see this years Best Picture Nominees. I’ve seen 5 of the 10 nominees. I like Top Gun the best obviously, but it won’t win. The Banshees of Inisherin was fantastic and it could actually win.

All Quiet On The Western Front
The Banshees of Inisherin
Elvis

Everything Everywhere All
The Fabelmans
Tar
Top Gun: Maverick
Triangle of Sadness
Women Talking

Reactions: J_Dee
Maverick is the only one I've seen. I liked it, but didn't think it was as great as people say. I really liked the West Side Story remake from a year ago. Get Out is probably my favorite movie of recent times.

Reactions: point1zerorock
Just wanted you all to know that I recently watched Sidekicks for the first time and thought it was great. Figured that comment belongs in a thread about greatest movies.

Reactions: christophero
Watched Bridget Jones's Diary. Very funny. Rene Zellwegger is very likeable, and Hugh Grant just has incredible comic timing. Well written British romantic comedy.

Aside from trying to catch the Best Picture nominees I’ve been trying watch movies on the “1001 Movies to See Before You Die list.” I feel like I’ve see a ton of movies including a lot of critically acclaimed films (all the Best Pictures and AFI Top 100 and many more), but have only seen 1/3 of that list, lol.

Here are a dozen personal favorites (lesser-known) that some may not have seen or even heard of:

House of Games
Winter's Bone
The Kite Runner
Never Cry Wolf
Bang the Drum Slowly
Sarah's Key
The Commitments
Pope of Greenwich Village
Jacknife
The Killing Fields
Donnie Darko
A Serious Man

Short scene from Donnie Darko, a cult film !! 😎

Last edited:
Reactions: It'saDoneDeal
Here are a dozen personal favorites (lesser-known) that some may not have seen or even heard of:

House of Games
Winter's Bone
The Kite Runner
Never Cry Wolf
Bang the Drum Slowly
Sarah's Key
The Commitments
Pope of Greenwich Village
Jacknife
The Killing Fields
Donnie Darko
A Serious Man

Short scene from Donnie Darko, a cult film !! 😎

Bonus film suggestion: HARD TICKET HAWAII ... b-grade cult classic !!! He's just a thrower !! 😎https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_Ticket_to_Hawaii
I’ll have to check some of those out. I’ve only seen Winter’s Bone and The Killing Fields which were both very good (and tragic). Donnie Darko has been on my short list a long time but I always choose something else, lol.

Reactions: megablue
I’ll have to check some of those out. I’ve only seen Winter’s Bone and The Killing Fields which were both very good (and tragic). Donnie Darko has been on my short list a long time but I always choose something else, lol.
I have seen WB and TKF many times and I agree, both tragic, but good for the soul.
Thanks for the interest and the reply. If you watch any on the list, I hope you enjoy them. I've seen all several times.

Reactions: point1zerorock
There's something about "The Banshees of Inisherin" that I didn't like, but I can't put my finger on it. I said, I can't put my.....
I couldn't commit to 10 movies. I've been watching movies by Harold Lloyd and Buster Keaton recently. "Safety Last!" and "Steamboat Bill Jr." are brilliant. The first "Thin Man." Any of several Ernst Lubitsch movies. Bogie and Bacall -- pick one. Any of several movies with Jack Lemmon "The Apartment," "Mister Rogers," "The Odd Couple." Scorsese's "Taxi Driver" is difficult to watch, but compelling. "Apocalypse Now." The first two "Godfather" movies. An underappreciated Kubrick film, "Paths of Glory." "A Hard Day's Night," for sentimental reasons. "Kiss Me Kate" for its brilliant songs and choreography. "Chinatown." Any Coen Brothers movie.

Some favorites. Totally random.
Get Out
The Forrest
Inception
Dawn of the Dead
Goodfellas
SW original trilogy
Raiders, Jaws
Alien, Aliens
The Dark Knight
The Shining
Blade Runner
Shawshank
Arrival
King Kong 1933

There's something about "The Banshees of Inisherin" that I didn't like, but I can't put my finger on it. I said, I can't put my.....
I couldn't commit to 10 movies. I've been watching movies by Harold Lloyd and Buster Keaton recently. "Safety Last!" and "Steamboat Bill Jr." are brilliant. The first "Thin Man." Any of several Ernst Lubitsch movies. Bogie and Bacall -- pick one. Any of several movies with Jack Lemmon "The Apartment," "Mister Rogers," "The Odd Couple." Scorsese's "Taxi Driver" is difficult to watch, but compelling. "Apocalypse Now." The first two "Godfather" movies. An underappreciated Kubrick film, "Paths of Glory." "A Hard Day's Night," for sentimental reasons. "Kiss Me Kate" for its brilliant songs and choreography. "Chinatown." Any Coen Brothers movie.
Lots of good ones there in the second 1/2 of your post. Haven’t seen many of the first several you mentioned. You’re right about Paths of Glory. Didn’t Douglass get the original director fired paving the way for Kubrick?

Two lessor known outstanding movies:

Hard Eight- starring Phillip Seymour Huffman, G. Paltrow, John C. Reilly, Samuel Jackson
Red Violin- starring Colm Feore, Samuel L Jackson

Last edited:
Reactions: chroix
Just watched The Black Phone. Just a fantastic horror movie.
Been meaning to watch that. I got to meet Ethan Hawke (and Steve Zahn) a few weeks ago. They were in Shelbyville (where I work) filming a new moving called “Wildcat.” Nothing to do with our Wildcats unfortunately, but it was cool meeting them. They were both super friendly. Got to watch them film a few scenes too. Really cool!

My movie viewing is down a lot since the new year. Joined a band and have been practicing my guitar a ton in my spare time. This is usually the time of year (UK off-season) that I’m watching a ton of movies.

Did find time for Before Sunrise after meeting Ethan Hawke (see above post). And also caught Best Pic nominee Triangle of Sadness. It was pretty crazy especially the storm scene on the boat. Pretty hilarious!

Hawke plays such an evil character in the film, and wears a mask for most of Black Phone. In the making of feature he says normally he tries to get into the head of a character, but there is just no justification for what this guy does. They really nailed the late 70's vibe. The movie took its time, so you got to know the kids. And it's pretty non gory for a film of this type.

Last edited:
Hawke plays such an evil character in the film, and wears a mask for most of Black Phone. In the making of feature he says normally he tries to get into the head of a character, but there is just no justification for what this guy does. They really nailed the late 70's/early 80's vibe. The movie took its time, so you got to know the kids. And it's pretty non gory for a film of this type.
Great movie. More psychological horror than straight up. I loved it but is there a better child abduction movie than Prisoners? I think not.

Agreed; if not for the supernatural phone elements it was more thriller than horror. Prisoners was good too. I like that director.

I watched Gracie, a feel good soccer movie based on a true story. Girl loses her soccer playing brother in an accident and decides to try out for the boy's high school team. Loosely based on the family of actress Elizabeth Shue, who plays the mother. It was pretty entertaining, good family film.

Hawke plays such an evil character in the film, and wears a mask for most of Black Phone. In the making of feature he says normally he tries to get into the head of a character, but there is just no justification for what this guy does. They really nailed the late 70's vibe. The movie took its time, so you got to know the kids. And it's pretty non gory for a film of this type.
I've been wanting to watch this film but wasn't sure if my wife would like it. She hates gore, violence and torture in movies. Might take a chance. If it gets too bad then I can always finish it by myself later.

Black Phone was decent, but not really good enough to be mentioned here IMO. I found Ethan Hawke's character rather silly and not really menacing. I also didn't love that it seemed more along the lines of a "coming of age" movie than it was horror. Sure, the premise is horrific, but the execution is just kinda meh as far as horror movies go. I mean you take out some of the jump scares, and it's really more of a drama.

I've been wanting to watch this film but wasn't sure if my wife would like it. She hates gore, violence and torture in movies. Might take a chance. If it gets too bad then I can always finish it by myself later.
That's one thing it's good at: it's not gory or scary. It's a very good horror-lite type of film.

Well that's perfect for my wife. Thanks!
Maybe. It does deal with kids getting abducted, but if she can deal with that she might be ok. I watched the Descent with my sister, said it was scary fun and then she was tramatized for a week ha.

Reactions: UK82
I got on a Budd Boetticher kick last month and watched Ride Lonesome, The Tall T, Decision at Sundown, and Buchanan Rides Alone. All pretty fantastic late 1950's westerns with Randolph Scott starring. They're all less than 80 min. and most of them should be on YouTube for free.

You can't replace Wayne and Ford westerns, but those two icons really overshadowed an entire genre and now there's countless westerns that should've received more attention.

Maybe. It does deal with kids getting abducted, but if she can deal with that she might be ok. I watched the Descent with my sister, said it was scary fun and then she was tramatized for a week ha.

This is a good disclaimer, coming from some horror fans who have a strong tolerance for this stuff lol. What's tame to me, is not tame to others.

I prefer the European version. The staging is better, the actors look more like ordinary people. It's cut faster. The evil guardian is more slimy and his violence is more shocking.

You like a lot of my favorites. Let me recommend 20th Century with Carole Lombard and John Barrymore. And The More the Merrier with Jean Arthur and Joel McCrea. And (almost) any of the Preston Sturges movies from the 40s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT