ADVERTISEMENT

Film Fans - Greatest Movies

point1zero

Sophomore
Apr 9, 2009
What are your Top 10 Films? Been on a mission the last few years to watch all 92 Best Pictures and AFI’s Top 100. There’s some overlap, but I’ve got just 8 Oscar winners to go and 3 AFI films left to see.

Some of my favorites in no particular order:

No Country For Old Men
Goodfellas
Shawshank
The Godfather
The Godfather ll
Pulp Fiction
The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars: A New Hope
Rocky
Jaws
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Gladiator

What are your Top 10 Films? Been on a mission the last few years to watch all 92 Best Pictures and AFI’s Top 100. There’s some overlap, but I’ve got just 8 Oscar winners to go and 3 AFI films left to see.

Some of my favorites in no particular order:

No Country For Old Men
Goodfellas
Shawshank
The Godfather
The Godfather ll
Pulp Fiction
The Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars: A New Hope
Rocky
Jaws
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Gladiator

I watched the AFI 100 greatest films and it opened me up to so many great movies I probably would have never watched.

I started the mission on the late 90s before streaming so it took me years to finish.

I found several at the local library on DVD and I would DVR all I could from Turner Classic Movies.

The hardest one to find, and this the last one I watched, was "The Jazz Singer"

I finally found a Chinese DVD of it on eBay for about $9.

Which 3 do you have left?

Anyone watched any of this years Best Picture nominees? I’ve seen 3 of the 8 - Nomadland, Mank and The Trial of the Chicago 7. Easily liked Nomadland best of the three. Hope to catch the Sound of Metal before Oscar night.

My top 10, in order

Pulp Fiction
Goodfellas
The Shawshank Redemption
Memento
The Third Man
The Maltese Falcon
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
The Dark Knight
Tombstone
All The President's Men

I watched the AFI 100 greatest films and it opened me up to so many great movies I probably would have never watched.

I started the mission on the late 90s before streaming so it took me years to finish.

I found several at the local library on DVD and I would DVR all I could from Turner Classic Movies.

Impressive! Yeah, it’s taken me years too, but I really stepped on the gas this past year with Covid. I DVR’d sooo many from TCM too, lol! I’ve only got Sullivan’s Travels and Nashville left to go. Just finished Intolerance.

Reactions: bigdaddy741

Oh, and you know the AFI list from 1998 was updated in 2007? Might want to double check you seen them all as a handful were replaced.

Impressive! Yeah, it’s taken me years too, but I really stepped on the gas this past year with Covid. I DVR’d sooo many from TCM too, lol! I’ve only got Sullivan’s Travels and Nashville left to go. Just finished Intolerance.

Looks like you are watching the 10th anniversary AFI list.

The original and the anniversary have most of the same movies. I think there are about 10 different movies between the two.

I recommend watching the movies on the original list after you finish the anniversary list.

I finished them both eventually.

I’ve seen Sound of Metal and Mank. Gary Oldman should win best actor hands down he is brilliant
How was The Sound of Metal? (without spoilers!). Are you a hard rock fan like me? Oldman was great (As always) in Mank. Don’t agree with Mank’s political views, but still a good film and great performance by Oldman.

Looks like you are watching the 10th anniversary AFI list.

The original and the anniversary have most of the same movies. I think there are about 10 different movies between the two.

I recommend watching the movies on the original list after you finish the anniversary list.

I finished them both eventually.
Yeah, I’ve only not seen 2 more from the original list - Stagecoach and Birth of a Nation. So I should have them both knocked out pretty soon.

My top 10, in order

Pulp Fiction
Goodfellas
The Shawshank Redemption
Memento
The Third Man
The Maltese Falcon
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
The Dark Knight
Tombstone
All The President's Men
Great list. Haven’t seen Once Upon a Time yet. Or Momento (I know!)

The sound Metal is very good. With a very good performance by the lead but don’t show up expecting a killer soundtrack

Reactions: Chase4UK
Is Shawshank the most over rated movie of all time? It’s gotta be up there. Not a bad movie but it would barely make my top 10 of the movies that came out the same year
It’s sure not over-rated in my opinion, but to each his own. I could pick that one up from anywhere and watch it and enjoy. Great lazy Saturday afternoon film. 1994 was a great year for film though. Pulp Fiction and Forest Gump that year so I wouldn’t fault one for having Shawshank 3rd, but certainly no lower. Those 3 could easily be in some people’s top 10, all from 1994!

Reactions: BC_Wader
I've tried to force myself to watch Citizen Kane about 3 times and just couldn't do it.

Broaden your watching to make sure you've caught movies like Badlands (Martin Sheen 1973), Gallipoli (Mel Gibson 1981), True Romance (Tarantino's best script he sold to raise money for Pulp Fiction 1993), Breaker Morant (A Few Good Men before AFGM 1980), The Thin Blue Line (Documentary 1988), and I Walk the Line (Gregory Peck 1970).

Those are all in my personal top 25 but most people missed them.

Also, just about everything made from 1968 to 1975 was pure gold in America. We'll never have a time like that anywhere for movie making again.

Reactions: point1zero
Stagecoach is good.

Birth of a Nation. Whew! I could say A LOT about that one. It was considered racist over 100 years ago....
Yeah, I’m prepared to cringe when I get to Birth of a Nation. Just finished Intolerance, DW Griffith’s other epic and sounds so much different than what I’m hearing of BOAN. He said in interviews it’s not an apology for BOAN though. Did you know DWG is from Oldham Co. KY? I just found that out. One of films most important pioneers born 20 minutes from where I’m sitting.

I've tried to force myself to watch Citizen Kane about 3 times and just couldn't do it.

Broaden your watching to make sure you've caught movies like Badlands (Martin Sheen 1973), Gallipoli (Mel Gibson 1981), True Romance (Tarantino's best script he sold to raise money for Pulp Fiction 1993), Breaker Morant (A Few Good Men before AFGM 1980), The Thin Blue Line (Documentary 1988), and I Walk the Line (Gregory Peck 1970).

Also, just about everything made from 1968 to 1975 was pure gold in America. We'll never have a time like that anywhere for movie making again.

I've seen all of those except for The Thin Blue Line but I do want to watch it.

I've seen Citizen Kane twice and while I appreciate it, it is not very entertaining.

If we had watched it when it first was released we probably would enjoy it's groundbreaking features.

Reactions: nom de plume

Researching “why Citizen Kane is so important” helped me a lot. I’ve seen it 3-4 times now and gain more appreciation each time. It’s full of so many “firsts” that are now common in film - non linear story line, deep focus, etc - it’s hard to deny just how innovative it was at the time.

Not in my top 10 or 25 probably, but since researching the “Why...” I certainly appreciate the firm more and more with each viewing.

Oh, and thanks for the suggestions! I’ll check them out once I finish AFI and Oscar. I’ve only seen Gallipoli among those titles.

The past couple of months I've been checking out TCM and some FX channel that shows some older movies...

Here's a list of movies that I found to be pretty good that I would have never watched had I not seen them on these two channels

Dodge City (1939) - Amazed by the color of this movie.
Under Fire (1983) - GREAT music score.
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - I love Stewart and Hitch together. All their movies are good. Rear Window & Rope too. Have yet to see Vertigo.
The Incident (1967) - um... like the subway scene in the Joker but a whole movie
Speedway (1968) -Elvis as speedracer
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry (1974) - you watch this for the ending.
The Seven-Ups (1973) - I like 1970s New York movies.

Dragged Across Concrete and Bone Tomahawk are two movies I'd recommend. The director of these two movies is what Tarantino thinks he is.

In no particular order:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Jaws
Maltese Falcon
Apollo 13
Smokey and The Bandit
Caddyshack
The Untouchables
Goodfellas
Godfather 1 and 2
Nice list. Seen them all. Not sure I can put Smokey and Caddyshack high on a “greatest films” list, but they are sure fun, lol!

The past couple of months I've been checking out TCM and some FX channel that shows some older movies...

Here's a list of movies that I found to be pretty good that I would have never watched had I not seen them on these two channels

Dodge City (1939) - Amazed by the color of this movie.
Under Fire (1983) - GREAT music score.
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - I love Stewart and Hitch together. All their movies are good. Rear Window & Rope too. Have yet to see Vertigo.
The Incident (1967) - um... like the subway scene in the Joker but a whole movie
Speedway (1968) -Elvis as speedracer
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry (1974) - you watch this for the ending.
The Seven-Ups (1973) - I like 1970s New York movies.

Dragged Across Concrete and Bone Tomahawk are two movies I'd recommend. The director of these two movies is what Tarantino thinks he is.
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree about Jimmy Stewart and Hitchcock. Vertigo keeps gaining acclaim on these “greatest” lists so you should definitely check that one off. I don’t have it as high as the critics, but it’s up there for me. Very innovative for its time.

The Great Escape
Stalag 17
Jaws
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Open Range
Trading Places
Star Wars (original)
Smokey and The Bandit
Toombstone
Caddyshack

Honorable mention: Animal House

Reactions: ShoesSwayedBlue
Researching “why Citizen Kane is so important” helped me a lot. I’ve seen it 3-4 times now and gain more appreciation each time. It’s full of so many “firsts” that are now common in film - non linear story line, deep focus, etc - it’s hard to deny just how innovative it was at the time.

Not in my top 10 or 25 probably, but since researching the “Why...” I certainly appreciate the firm more and more with each viewing.

Oh, and thanks for the suggestions! I’ll check them out once I finish AFI and Oscar. I’ve only seen Gallipoli among those titles.
If you get the the special edition Citizen Kane DVD it has a commentary track from Rodger Ebert that is amazing.
And speaking of awesome film commentary tracks the universal monster movies are done by David Skal I think, it’s like a mini film school.

For those that don’t know, Mank - a leading Best Picture contender - is about the development of the screenplay for Citizen Kane. Gives insight into how the landmark film came together and the eccentric people behind it.

I've watched most of the Top 100 list, all good films. Probably 25 would make my personal Top 100 list of "most enjoyable" films. Nothing against the other 75, there are people much more knowledgeable than me but I know what I like.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Dr Strangelove
Lonesome Dove (i know, it’s a tv movie)
Gone With the Wind
Unforgiven
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Cool Hand Luke
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Band of Brothers (i know)
The Grapes of Wrath

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT