ADVERTISEMENT

Film Fans - Greatest Movies

I bought it for $2 via Disc to Digital on Vudu.

I bought 3 others the same way. Cimarron, Gigi, and Going My Way.
I bought 8 DVD’s for $9 bucks at the Thrift shop earlier today. Several BP nominees, plus a few other acclaimed films I’ve wanted to see/see again that I haven’t found streaming anywhere

Winter’s Bone
28 Day’s Later
Babel
Munich
Eternal Sunshine *
A History of Violence *
LA Confidential *

* have seen

I bought 8 DVD’s for $9 bucks at the Thrift shop earlier today. Several BP nominees, plus a few other acclaimed films I’ve wanted to see/see again that I haven’t found streaming anywhere

Winter’s Bone
28 Day’s Later
Babel
Munich
Eternal Sunshine *
A History of Violence *
LA Confidential *

* have seen

I've seen all those and they are all very good/great.

My favorite out of that group is Babel.

In addition to the BP winners I mentioned earlier I also bought these:

Godfather Trilogy*
LOTR Trilogy*
The Big Heat
Carlito's Way*
Scarface
Letters to Iwo Jima
Flags of Our Fathers
The Great Raid
Mean Streets
Once Upon a Time in America
Unbroken
Paycheck

* have seen

I bought several I've never seen. Some of them I've seen parts of but never watched all the way through.

In addition to the BP winners I mentioned earlier I also bought these:

Godfather Trilogy*
LOTR Trilogy*
The Big Heat
Carlito's Way*
Scarface
Letters to Iwo Jima
Flags of Our Fathers
The Great Raid
Mean Streets
Once Upon a Time in America
Unbroken
Paycheck

* have seen

I bought several I've never seen. Some of them I've seen parts of but never watched all the way through.
Never seen Scarface, huh? That’ll be a good one to check off. It’s really good, but I’m worried you may find it over-hyped. Hard not to. I’ve been meaning to check out Mean Streets for quite a while now. I’m interested in your take.

The companion war films Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of our Fathers are both very good. I had particular interest as my grandfather fought at Iwo Jima. It was a massive offensive that many don’t realize rivaled the Normandy invasion in size and scope. While I like both, I actually like Letters from Iwo Jima - told from the Japanese perspective - quite a bit better.

Reactions: bigdaddy741
I watched In the Mood for Love last night. This film is universally critically acclaimed and cited often as on of the top films of this century and even of all-time.

I’m afraid I’m missing something and need to rewatch. I liked the film - especially the cinematography - and I also liked the plot. I think it was a good movie. I fail to see why it’s an all-time great. Maybe I’ll have more appreciation for it after a second viewing. For now I’d give it a 7/10.

Reactions: christophero
I watched In the Mood for Love last night. This film is universally critically acclaimed and cited often as on of the top films of this century and even of all-time.

I’m afraid I’m missing something and need to rewatch. I liked the film - especially the cinematography - and I also liked the plot. I think it was a good movie. I fail to see why it’s an all-time great. Maybe I’ll have more appreciation for it after a second viewing. For now I’d give it a 7/10.

I'd never heard of it so I looked it up.

The reviews on IMDB sure do love it.

I'd never heard of it so I looked it up.

The reviews on IMDB sure do love it.
Get back to me whenever you watch it and tell me why it’s great and not just good. Not hating on it. It’s good, but I don’t see it as an all time great.

Trying to see all of Kubrick’s major films I haven’t seen. Watched Eyes Wide Shut finally. I was definitely into Nicole Kidman’s scenes and the scenes at the mansion 😉. Seriously, I thought it was going along pretty good, building a lot of suspense and intrigue and whatnot. Was ready for a strong finale, but it was a rather anti-climactic ending. No big surprise or twist.

Even with a flat ending, i’d still give it a 7/10. It was still a beautiful film to watch (and I’m not talking about only the nudity!). Kubrick always has such beautiful set pieces, lighting and cinematography and this film was no exception. Obviously the party scenes (both of them), but even on the streets of NYC and in the lead characters home. And a cool and unnerving score.

I think The Killing is my last major Kubrick film to see.

Did Alfalfa sing the theme song?

Watched Moonlight last night and I though it was really good. My biggest problem with it is I think Act 3 is slow and much weaker than Acts 1 and especially Act 2. Even though it's a great movie I'll probably never watch it again. It tears me apart to see kids get bullied and abused and this film is full of that. The reason it bothers me so much is because I know it is reality for so many kids. I was ready to give this movie a 9/10 until the third act but that knocks it down to an 8/10 for me.

Reactions: point1zero
Watched Moonlight last night and I though it was really good. My biggest problem with it is I think Act 3 is slow and much weaker than Acts 1 and especially Act 2. Even though it's a great movie I'll probably never watch it again. It tears me apart to see kids get bullied and abused and this film is full of that. The reason it bothers me so much is because I know it is reality for so many kids. I was ready to give this movie a 9/10 until the third act but that knocks it down to an 8/10 for me.
It is indeed powerful and sad. I agree with an 8 or 9 out of 10. I probably will watch it one more time at some point. I like to punish myself

• Haha
Man, I’ve not had 2 hours free these last few evenings to start a movie. Something I saw last weekend I didn’t mention was Man with a Movie Camera. This short film (about an hour) is on the Sight & Sounds greatest list. It was extremely innovative and helped set the tone for modern film-making. I recommend watching it. Here’s except from Wikipedia.

“Man with a Movie Camera is famous for the range of cinematic techniques Vertov invented, employed or developed, such as multiple exposure, fast motion, slow motion, freeze frames, match cuts, jump cuts, split screens, Dutch angles, extreme close-ups, tracking shots, reversed footage, stop motionanimations and self-reflexive visuals (at one point it features a split-screen tracking shot; the sides have opposite Dutch angles).”

Man, I’ve not had 2 hours free these last few evenings to start a movie. Something I saw last weekend I didn’t mention was Man with a Movie Camera. This short film (about an hour) is on the Sight & Sounds greatest list. It was extremely innovative and helped set the tone for modern film-making. I recommend watching it. Here’s except from Wikipedia.

“Man with a Movie Camera is famous for the range of cinematic techniques Vertov invented, employed or developed, such as multiple exposure, fast motion, slow motion, freeze frames, match cuts, jump cuts, split screens, Dutch angles, extreme close-ups, tracking shots, reversed footage, stop motionanimations and self-reflexive visuals (at one point it features a split-screen tracking shot; the sides have opposite Dutch angles).”

It sounds like the kind of movie that was innovative but would not be liked or appreciated by a casual movie fan.

Kinda like Citizen Kane. It's very innovative but people who aren't cinephiles usually find it boring. They've seen it all before due to when they started watching movies and therefore do not appreciate the techniques that were new at the time and moved filmaking forward.

To be clear, I'm not disparaging those people. I used to be one myself, lol. The original AFI list is what opened my eyes. I was 23 when it came out and I expected a bunch of action movies made in the 70's or later to dominate the list. I had seen very few movies made prior to that. That list put me on my quest to watch all 100 movies and it has been an awesome journey. It has led me to watch movies from eras that I love but would have never watched.

Does anyone use the Letterboxd app? Been playing with it a little. Found a list I’d heard of before - “1001 Movies to See Before You Die.” Actually, it’s over 1250 movies as it’s every film that’s ever made the list. Was surprised I’ve only seen 29%. I guessed I would be closer to 50%! Oh well, more good movies to watch.

I just downloaded the app.

It looks pretty cool at first glance.
So far I think Flickchart is more “fun” and ranking MY personal all-time favorites, but this seems more useful for tracking.

Follow me if you like. My user name is Rockstar78

Started the lengthy Oliver! last night. One of only two remaining Best Pictures I haven’t seen. Hope to finish it up tonight and then on to Cimarron to finish all 93!

12 Angry Men
Rounders - one of the best
The Matrix - nuff said
Highlander - cult classic
The Chronicles of Riddick - amazing production and story
Moneyball - heartwarming and well written
Best of the Best - Had a grittiness about it that felt real
Artificial Intelligence
The Big Short
Glengarry Glenross
Grease

Finished up 1968’s Best Picture Oliver! tonight. I was very underwhelmed the first half of the film. I have a hard time getting into musicals that are not set in an entertainment industry plot - such as Chicago, All That Jazz and Cabaret. Those I like. Despite an appreciation for the elaborate choreography that goes into these types of films, random singing and dancing such as in this film, West Side Story and the like is just not for me. I dozed off twice in the first hour.

All that said, I really enjoyed the second half of the film, especially the convincing and menacing performance of the film’s primary villain - a young Oliver Reed (Proximo in Gladiator). The corny musical numbers are less frequent and the drama ratchets up notably and effectively.

Most Best Pictures are pretty darn good films, so with the excessive length and underwhelming first half I have to rank this one towards the bottom of my BP ranking. However, the strong 2nd half keeps it out of the very bottom few. I give it a 6/10. Good, not very good or great, but good IMO.

12 Angry Men
Rounders - one of the best
The Matrix - nuff said
Highlander - cult classic
The Chronicles of Riddick - amazing production and story
Moneyball - heartwarming and well written
Best of the Best - Had a grittiness about it that felt real
Artificial Intelligence
The Big Short
Glengarry Glenross
Grease

Great list.

Rounders is one of those I rank higher than most.

Reactions: LowCountryCat
I've tried to force myself to watch Citizen Kane about 3 times and just couldn't do it.

Broaden your watching to make sure you've caught movies like Badlands (Martin Sheen 1973), Gallipoli (Mel Gibson 1981), True Romance (Tarantino's best script he sold to raise money for Pulp Fiction 1993), Breaker Morant (A Few Good Men before AFGM 1980), The Thin Blue Line (Documentary 1988), and I Walk the Line (Gregory Peck 1970).

Those are all in my personal top 25 but most people missed them.

Also, just about everything made from 1968 to 1975 was pure gold in America. We'll never have a time like that anywhere for movie making again.
Finally saw Badlands not too long ago. I really liked it and posted about it earlier in this thread. I like your other recommendations and will add them to my list.

I'm at the beach this week with my family so I haven't watched a single movie.

I'll get back to my Best Picture quest next week.

We thought about going to a movie as a family but there isn't anything we all want to see. Some of them have already seen Black Widow.
The new Escape Room movie would probably be approved by everyone.

Just finished 1931’s Cimarron and with it I’ve also finished my goal of seeing all 93 Best Pictures winners! Some of the last few films were tough to slug through, but I’m glad I hung with it. AFI list completed. Oscar list completed. On to more of the best of the 2000’s and The Sight and Sound’s greatest lists. And in just over a month, lots of Wildcats football!!

As for the 4th ever Best Picture Cimarron, I have a mixed opinion. There are positives, but there are also plot holes, underdeveloped themes and a rather abrupt ending. Perhaps, it’s just a bit too ambitious, trying to cover some 40 years of a rapidly changing era. Unfortunately, there are also many cringe-worthy racial stereotypes towards native and African Americans. Fortunately, the lead characters grow and shift their attitudes on race, etc by the end. That’s no major spoiler as this film isn’t really a social commentary.

There are enough positives to not trash this film entirely, but I agree with most contemporary critics who say it has not aged well and is deserving of it’s ranking near the bottom of all Best Pictures. I give it a 5/10.

I'm at the beach this week with my family so I haven't watched a single movie.

I'll get back to my Best Picture quest next week.

We thought about going to a movie as a family but there isn't anything we all want to see. Some of them have already seen Black Widow.
The new Escape Room movie would probably be approved by everyone.
Dang moneybags, second trip this summer? Hahaha, just kidding! I’ve got a second trip planned too. Gotta catch up from 2020, right!

AI is easily my favorite Spielberg movie of the 2000s Minority Report was good too. That's about all I've liked from him since 2000.

Why don't comedies make many lists? John Candy and Bill Murray should be on anyone's list a couple of times.
Not sure why comedies have been snubbed at the Oscars the last few decades. They were nominated fairly often in the Golden Age. Parasite was very funny, but also very dark. Birdman had some good comedy. Before that you probably gotta go all the back to Annie Hall (1977).

Several comedies are in my all-time top 25 including:

- This is Spinal Tap
- Monty Python & the Holy Grail
- Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure
- Elf
- Back to the Future (adventure/comedy)

Reactions: christophero
Finished a re-watch of the acclaimed All About Eve last night. I wasn’t a big fan after my first viewing about 2 years ago. I liked and appreciated it much better after the second viewing, but still far less than the level of critical acclaim it has garnered. Reminds me how I feel about Double Indemnity. Didn’t care for it much the first time, liked it much better the second time, but still not to the level of the consensus opinion.

It’s admittedly a good plot, just a little slow unfolding. I like that this film has a bit more realism, especially in the dialogue, than most films of the same era. Bette Davis was great throughout, but nearly disappeared in the final few scenes. George Sanders is lovably hate-able as the snooty theatre critic. I felt Anne Baxter was Eve was fine, but the easily weakest of the 3. I probably move it from a 5-6/10 to a 7/10.

Just back from vacation and hoped to get back to watching some movies, but now a serious health issue with the wife’s grandma. Whenever I can get back to it some films at the top of my watchlist are:

Drive
Inside Llewelyn Davis
Blue Velvet
Tree of Life

Would also like to hear what are some of the best films of 2021 are so far.

Just back from vacation and hoped to get back to watching some movies, but now a serious health issue with the wife’s grandma. Whenever I can get back to it some films at the top of my watchlist are:

Drive
Inside Llewelyn Davis
Blue Velvet
Tree of Life

Would also like to hear what are some of the best films of 2021 are so far.

I assume you haven't seen any of them.

I've only seen Drive but it's pretty damn good.

Also, I just haven't been in the movie watching mood the last 2 weeks but it'll come back.

I assume you haven't seen any of them.

I've only seen Drive but it's pretty damn good.

Also, I just haven't been in the movie watching mood the last 2 weeks but it'll come back.
Same. Was on vacation last week and upon our return my wife’s Grandma had a serious accident and passed away yesterday. Glad you’re still around though! Keep checking in

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT