ADVERTISEMENT

Film Fans - Greatest Movies

I was mildly disappointed in The Green Night.. and that was a movie I was practically tugging myself over for months..

Big fan of Barry Keoghan, A24.. but the movie was a little pretentious for me. The scene in the cabin still have me perplexed. It was beautifully shot, excellent score and acting.. but story wise, fell a little short.

Still better than any Starwars or Comic book movie tho.. so its at least not on that level.
Made the mistake of watching The Green Knight on a tiny screen with poor audio on a long distance flight (Ad Astra too). Hope to catch again soon on my home theatre.

Still haven't seen Nightmare Alley. Lynch makes some great subdued horror.

The problem with the horror genre is its THE most off-putting genre. Right off the bat, kids can't watch it. And anyone who gets scared easily, has past trauma, even some mental illness.. also can't watch it. Horror practically eliminates half of the population right off the bat.

But its had an AMAZING box office and streaming count during the pandemic. I remember seeing like 16 of the top75 streamed movies at one point were horror. And several in the top15.

Still haven't seen Nightmare Alley. Lynch makes some great subdued horror.

The problem with the horror genre is its THE most off-putting genre. Right off the bat, kids can't watch it. And anyone who gets scared easily, has past trauma, even some mental illness.. also can't watch it. Horror practically eliminates half of the population right off the bat.

But its had an AMAZING box office and streaming count during the pandemic. I remember seeing like 16 of the top75 streamed movies at one point were horror. And several in the top15.
Interesting insights. Had seen some headlines that horror was doing well at the box office, but had not read much deeper on it. Guess the last new true horror flick I saw was Get Out last year. That and rewatching Evil Dead a few months back, lol.

Anyone seen this year’s Best Picture winner Coda? I know a lot of people haven’t seen as it’s only on Apple TV. I caught on a long flight.

I thought it was very good. Really unique and interesting plot. Fantastic acting across the entire cast. Just a very human-centered story. If scene 5 of the other Best Picture nominees and I’d put near the top. I probably liked Dune better, but this would probably be second with Nightmare Alley not too far behind.

Anyone seen this year’s Best Picture winner Coda? I know a lot of people haven’t seen as it’s only on Apple TV. I caught on a long flight.

I thought it was very good. Really unique and interesting plot. Fantastic acting across the entire cast. Just a very human-centered story. If scene 5 of the other Best Picture nominees and I’d put near the top. I probably liked Dune better, but this would probably be second with Nightmare Alley not too far behind.
What is Nightmare Alley?

What is Nightmare Alley?
2021 remake of a 1947 film of the same name by director Guillermo del Toro (Shape of Water, Pan’s Labyrinth). Features a star-studded cast - Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchett, Willem Dafoe and many others. Noir/mystery genre about a man (Cooper) who joins the circus and hones his talents into becoming a fortune teller of sorts. On HBO Max currently. Well worth the watch in my opinion!

OMG Blazing Saddles is on TCM tonight. Definitely a turn your brain off and laugh movie. Absolutely no way this movie could get made today.

I was about to watch The Batman last night until I realized it was 3 hours! Maybe this weekend. Looking forward to it though.

Finally got to watching The Batman. I liked it a lot. Very dark, good characters, strong plot and great cinematography. Just a little long. I can’t put it above The Dark Knight and probably not ahead of Batman Begins or Batman (1989), but it’s probably next. Justice League was pretty much a disaster and the 90’s Batman films were just ok to poor. Will be hard to top the Christopher Nolan trilogy, but still interested in seeing where they take it from here.

So I finally saw The Crying Game. And I didn’t know what the “surprise” was until I saw.… eh hem… it. Oh boy, they got me good I have to admit.

Last edited:
Without a DOUBT:

large_oJSE6vHE7Xt0wlAuUH88uVNBqSI.jpg

Reactions: christophero
Best of the Best
Karate Kid
Die Hard
Lethal Weapon
Back to the Future
Better off Dead
Grosse Point Blank
Real Genius
Top Gun
Highlander

Best of the Best
Karate Kid
Die Hard
Lethal Weapon
Back to the Future
Better off Dead
Grosse Point Blank
Real Genius
Top Gun
Highlander
Growing up in the 80’s, Karate Kid, Top Gun and especially Back to the Future are very high on my all-time favorites list. Better Off Dead is a fun comedy. Probably a top 20 comedy for me. Die Hard is of course an action classic. Gonna miss seeing Bruce is anything new.

Wife bought me the most recent “1001 Movies to See Before You Die” book for my birthday. I feel like I’ve seen a ton of movies over the years, including a lot of oldies and foreign films, but I’ve only seen about 1/3 of the films in this book. Was kinda surprised and disappointed. On the bright side, there’s apparently over 600 great movies left for me to enjoy for the first time over upcoming off-seasons!

I didn’t know until years later that big chunks were shot on a sound stage after the 3 night stand in NYC - not all original footage was useable

And they got their asses robbed of like $180,000 fm a safety deposit box while in NY
Surprised their crazy scary manager guy didn’t execute everyone from the filmmakers to the security staff!

Reactions: CastleRubric
Green Knight was terrible. Just don't like movies like that.
The more I watch Dune on HBO, the more I like it.
I totally agree about Dune. I think it’ll continue to grow in acclaim. The Green Knight getting a lot of hate on here. I’ll didn’t hate it, but wasn’t blown away either. I’m withholding judgement until I can view again. Saw it on a tiny screen and poor headphone audio on a plane.

Anybody watching Severance on Apple TV? Loving this show 7 episodes in. Ben Stiller’s directing (and Aoife McArdle’s) caught me by surprise in a good way. Very stylistic, even hypnotic. Reminds me a lot of Kubrick actually - 2001: ASO and parts of The Shining. Also the rigid and symmetric camera shots and angles harken of late 20’s, early 30’s German Expressionist film.

Beyond the great directing and set designs, the plot is pretty fantastic in my opinion. I often feel “severed” myself between work and home. My wife will ask how my day went and I’ll often struggle to remember or share what even happened that day, lol.

The acting has also been top notch - especially lead Adam Scott. John Tutoro is great and Christopher Walken is pure gold as always. Patricia Arquette is a convincing villain in the vein of a corporate Nurse Ratchet. I definitely recommend this series, even if you don’t have Apple TV. Pay the $4.99 for a month and watch this series (as well as the Eric C. Conn series)!

Last edited:
Reactions: davtay
  1. Casablanca
  2. The Godfather I & II
  3. The Maltese Falcon
  4. The Lord of the Rings trilogy
  5. The Outlaw Josey Wales
  6. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  7. The Empire Strikes Back
  8. Braveheart
  9. 12 Angry Men
  10. Darkest Hour

Horror films:
  1. The Conjuring
  2. The Exorcist
  3. The Omen
  4. Poltergeist
  5. The Changeling
  6. Jaws
  7. Nosferatu (1922)
  8. The Descent
  9. The Exorcism of Emily Rose
  10. Insidious

1. Casablanca
  2. The Godfather I & II
  3. The Maltese Falcon
  4. The Lord of the Rings trilogy
  5. The Outlaw Josey Wales
  6. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  7. The Empire Strikes Back
  8. Braveheart
  9. 12 Angry Men
  10. Darkest Hour

Horror films:
  1. The Conjuring
  2. The Exorcist
  3. The Omen
  4. Poltergeist
  5. The Changeling
  6. Jaws
  7. Nosferatu (1922)
  8. The Descent
  9. The Exorcism of Emily Rose
  10. Insidious
Great lists! I have many of the same in my top 10 and all but 1-2 in my top 100. I need to work on my horror game. Only seen about half of those, but love the ones I’ve seen.

Adventureland is a good one. From the director of Superbad, but more of a sweet 80's coming of age story than a raunchy comedy. I grew up near the Adventureland park on Long Island it is based on(the director worked there in the 80's), although they shot it in Kennywood near Pittsburgh. Nice cast, Kristian Stewart, Ryan Reynolds, Jessie Eisenberg, Bill Hader, Kristen Wiig.

Reactions: point1zerorock
Goodfellas. The Shining. The Dark knight trilogy. Inception. Raiders. Star Wars OT. Superman 78. Blade Runner. Alien. Aliens. Shawshank. Jaws.
That list is superb, lol! All of those are in my top 40 or so. My top 12 is:

Star Wars OT (Empire, New Hope, Jedi)
Raiders
Back To The Future
Jaws
The Godfather
Shawshank
Pulp Fiction
Goodfellas
Rocky Saga (1,3,4,2)
The Dark Knight
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood

Adventureland is a good one. From the director of Superbad, but more of a sweet 80's coming of age story than a raunchy comedy. I grew up near the Adventureland park on Long Island it is based on(the director worked there in the 80's), although they shot it in Kennywood near Pittsburgh. Nice cast, Kristian Stewart, Ryan Reynolds, Jessie Eisenberg, Bill Hader, Kristen Wiig.
Superbad is fantastic, probably a top 20 comedy for me. Need to rewatch Adventureland. I remember thinking it was fine, but it didn’t make a huge impression on me either. I’ll try to check it out again.

Adventureland definitely grows on you with each watch. It's got a low key charm. Really good director's commentary, as it is loosely based on a true story. Superbad was hilarious. Knocked Up as well. Godfather one and two and the Rocky films too. Vertigo is a great one. Fellowship of the Ring, my favorite book.

Last edited:
RIP Ray Liotta. Prolific career and legendary performance in Goodfellas. Was great in Field of Dreams as well and so many others (had some misses too). In a tribute to Ray, what are your top 5 Liotta films? I’ll go…

1. Goodfellas
2. Field of Dreams
3. Unlawful Entry
4. Copland
5. The Many Saints of Newark

Just watched the first two episodes of the new Star Wars series Obi-Wan. I think it’s a decent, though not spectacular start to the series. Maybe a little below lofty expectations, dragging in a few spots, but overall pretty good. I’ll definitely hang in there and let the plot and characters develop.

It’s evident right off the bat that Ewan McGregor is in a whole other class in the acting department. He is/has always been the real deal. Some of the other characters feel a little forced so far, no pun intended. But, I’m hopeful and confident this series can go from good to great by conclusion.

Last edited:
I've been out of sorts this week but need to visit this thread more often.

I recently bought the 4K version of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance for a rewatch, and now I can't decide if the greatest western is that, Rio Bravo, or Once Upon a Time in the West. True toss-up.

Also, Beverly Hills Cop II - it's actually pretty entertaining. Not sure why I never watched the sequel up until recently. Murphy is just riffing per usual and more Judge Reinhold ain't a bad thing.

Reactions: point1zerorock
Repost from the Too Gun: Maverick thread-

Saw the film tonight. Very good until the 3rd act (final mission), then fantastic! This is the best action movie I’ve seen since possibly the best pure action film ever - Mad Max: Fury Road (2015). Do yourself a favor and go see this while still on the big screen where it’s more than a movie - it’s a cinematic experience.

The aerial combat scenes, especially in the final act, are nearly heart-stopping. Amazing visuals and first class stunt-work with nearly all practical effects (very little CGI from what I’ve read) which is almost hard to believe given what was captured on screen.

Like the original, the plot is very straight-forward. They play plenty of fun homage to the original, especially in the first half hour, then set about making the film stand on its own. While at times a little cheesy, even the non-combat scenes and acting deliver more than adequately. I give the film 9/10. Great fun! A must see in the cinema.

Trying to see all of the IMDB top 100 films. Watched #79 Once Upon A Time In America over the weekend. Took two days for this nearly 4 hour film. I think it’s good but a bit over-rated. Surprised it’s so high on this regular fan ranking.

I don’t mind long films, but this was excessive length, IMO. Could’ve done with much less of the flashback youth story line. Felt like this could’ve been 15-20 minutes instead of an hour. Otherwise I thought it was pretty good. De Niro and James Woods were are solid together. Outside of being lengthy and a bit melodramatic at times, I felt it was solid. I give it a 7/10.

Have now viewed 76 of the 100 films on the IMBD list. Going to try to catch Chaplin’s The Great Dictator on HBO next.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT