ADVERTISEMENT

Fayette County Schools - Going to Gender Neutral Bathrooms

Jun 2, 2005
Fayette County Parents - ready for your middle school girl to share a bathroom with a boy? The secret is out..that’s what Fayette County Schools is building currently and plans to for all new construction as reported by ABC 36 news. Fayette County Schools leadership (Superintendent and School Board) are destroying our kids.

So the bathroom itself is basically an extension of the hallway but the stalls themselves are enclosed floor to ceiling? Seems safer than having the entire bathroom closed

I like individual bathrooms, especially because of my affinity for chili and buffalo wings.

If schools want to go this route, fine. The issue, as always, is who is paying for it. Same with NYC restaurants feeling pressure to split their bathrooms up, in already very tight spaces where square footage is everything. Who is paying for this? And should restaurants (and schools) have the right to say "we don't want this"? I believe so.

As a Fayette County parent, I can tell you that this is a non-issue. Bathrooms are used only for vaping and other illicit activities. No one actually pisses or shits there.
Great! Now they can go into a locked room to due those illicit activities! The huge benefit of this new design is floor to ceiling doors so you have your own room, “privacy”, till the girl walks out the stall and is standing next to that boy she sits next to in class. Guess benefit there is while washing their hands after they both used the toilet, it’s a great time to ask for homework or maybe exchange numbers. What middle schooler would feel awkward in this situation? Wish they would have had these when we were in school! Whoever created the idea of having separate bathrooms for male and female were total idiots.

Reactions: hmt5000
I just used one of these this weekend at an airport.

You have a completely private, individual stall/toilet, and the sinks are shared. This is actually a huge upgrade in many ways. I mean, if you can suffer the embarrassment of washing your hands next to a woman.
Yeah and you also aren’t a middle school girl or middle school boy. Pretty sure you wouldn’t had thought this was so cool if they had then when you were in school..or if you had a middle school girl. Now that I think it over, why even put doors on the stalls? Hopefully next design, they take that next, bold step!

Reactions: drawing_dead
Not a perfect system. Having a boy following your daughter into the bathroom and, perhaps, into the private stall as she enters would be a real problem. As it exists now, a teacher/security would likely see a boy go into the girl’s bathroom and would be on alert. Now, that boy can walk into the common area of the bathroom behind the girl. Seems having a girls room with private stalls and a boys room with private stalls would be safer.

Yeah and you also aren’t a middle school girl or middle school boy. Pretty sure you wouldn’t had thought this was so cool if they had then when you were in school..or if you had a middle school girl. Now that I think it over, why even put doors on the stalls? Hopefully next design, they take that next, bold step!
You are incredibly dramatic 😂

Reactions: McDrama and H-D cat
I could say the same about you.

We need special bathrooms for people? Why can't they use the one based on the science that dictates what gender you are? Seems awfully dramatic to make changes so someone can have the bathroom they want.
The article said that gender neutral bathrooms would be for new constructions so it wouldn't be like they're tearing down all the bathrooms they have now and replacing them with this new format.

I could say the same about you.

We need special bathrooms for people? Why can't they use the one based on the science that dictates what gender you are? Seems awfully dramatic to make changes so someone can have the bathroom they want.
I could care less what bathroom someone uses. If they are gender neutral or separated by men and woman, I really don’t care. But to act like switching to gender neutral is going to ruin our kids is laughable and dramatic.

When I was in high school, teachers had to lock the bathrooms cause kids would go in there to do all kinds of crap. Was such a hassle to get them unlocked when I was touching cotton in an emergency situation. With this new setup, these kids won't have to go through the struggles that my classmates and I had.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
I honestly don’t care about bathrooms, but I always feel so bad for women who have to use bathrooms after men. Nothing worse than dropping a deuce at a coffee shop only to suffer the guilt of some innocent hipster girl having to walk in after.

Also, it might make be a bad person, but I don't touch public toilet seats. This means I risk peeing on the seat. I usually get a huge wad of toilet paper and clean it off after, but let's be real...most guys probably don't

Reactions: HagginHall1999
When I was in high school, teachers had to lock the bathrooms cause kids would go in there to do all kinds of crap. Was such a hassle to get them unlocked when I was touching cotton in an emergency situation. With this new setup, these kids won't have to go through the struggles that my classmates and I had.

The boys room on the 2nd floor of my high school didn’t have doors on the stalls because kids kept pulling them off the wall. School said screw it we aren’t buying new doors if you’re just gonna keep tearing them down.

I honestly don’t care about bathrooms, but I always feel so bad for women who have to use bathrooms after men. Nothing worse than dropping a deuce at a coffee shop only to suffer the guilt of some innocent hipster girl having to walk in after.

Also, it might make be a bad person, but I don't touch public toilet seats. This means I risk peeing on the seat. I usually get a huge wad of toilet paper and clean it off after, but let's be real...most guys probably don't

Some dumb ass dudes spray the seat because they don’t know how to lift it (it’s complicated). Women should not have to follow that.

I feel like you’ve never had a job that involved cleaning up a women’s rest room
Have had a summer job involving cleaning women's rooms. Trust me, there's nothing men could do that could be worse than what happens in the women's room. It was a running joke that whoever drew the men's room was going to have the luckier night.

The article said that gender neutral bathrooms would be for new constructions so it wouldn't be like they're tearing down all the bathrooms they have now and replacing them with this new format.

I'm more or less OK with that, but at this point, just make bathrooms non gender at all. One stall and a sink. I wouldn't even do a common area for sinks at this point. This hits all the criteria: genders get their own space, parents and kids can feel safe from whatever might concern the, and it reduces the chance of "funny business" by making it one person per stall.

Reactions: MatteoV25

Thought I was the only one. I actually don't touch any toilet seats. I just make sure to wipe the seat off after every use. I'd rather some one elses buttchecks run the risk of sitting on my urine, (which I make sure wouldn't happen) than run the risk of my hands touching someone else's by lifting the toilet seat.

Something about touching the underside of a toilet seat, that gets splashed on, never sat well with me.

Reactions: KAB Cats
When the left is unable to rationally defend their madness, their argument of last resort is always “Why do you care so much? Why does this bother you?”
Well, I mean in this particular case, why does it bother you?

I’m actually terrified of most public restrooms. They are, by and large, disgusting and have zero privacy. Truck stop gas stations and airports are the worst.

The immediate reaction seems to always center around some sort of LGBTQ argument. Personally, I don’t give af about that either way. Whether you’re a teen girl going thru that time of the month or a grown adult man that ate too much hot sauce for lunch, people deserve privacy in the bathroom. Individual stalls where your neighbors can’t see in or hear everything you’re doing.

Those of you who insist on whining about this are just desperate to complain about something.

Had 'gender neutral' restrooms in an office I used to work at, all the women used to complain about piss being on the toilet seats, cant imagine how bad that will be in Middle School. Eventually they did go back to making one for men and the other for women.

I just watched the video. Where does it say the bathroom is an extension of the hallway?
"There will be no doors separating the bathroom area from the hallway." This sentence is in the article.
What safety concerns do you have?
We all know what happens in school bathrooms. At least this way, the only things that teachers can't see are acts that are done in personal stalls.

"There will be no doors separating the bathroom area from the hallway." This sentence is in the article.

We all know what happens in school bathrooms. At least this way, the only things that teachers can't see are acts that are done in personal stalls.

The sinks are in the hallway?

Have had a summer job involving cleaning women's rooms. Trust me, there's nothing men could do that could be worse than what happens in the women's room. It was a running joke that whoever drew the men's room was going to have the luckier night.

Freshman year at uk I worked in the student center. We had locker rooms and bathrooms for employees in the basement. Came in one day and all the bathrooms were locked. Turned out the toilet in the women’s room had clogged, and instead of telling maintenance they just kept using it until it was overflowing.

“This means both boys and girls would share the same bathroom. The bathroom will have floor to ceiling stall doors and a communal sink area. There will be no doors seperating the bathroom area from the hallway.”

This does not mean the bathrooms are an extension of the hallway. It simply means there are no doors to the common area of the bathroom.

The sinks are in the hallway?
You just find a way to debate anything huh? The bathroom and hallway are open to each other, if you don't want to call it an extension then don't. Your need to constantly try to correct people is exhausting.

You just find a way to debate anything huh? The bathroom and hallway are open to each other, if you don't want to call it an extension then don't. Your need to constantly try to correct people is exhausting.

Sorry if you don’t find the distinction important, but you acted like teachers can stand in the hallway and see what is going on in the bathroom. That must have been important to you, as you specifically addressed it. The report does not support your conclusion.

So the bathroom itself is basically an extension of the hallway but the stalls themselves are enclosed floor to ceiling? Seems safer than having the entire bathroom closed

Reactions: drawing_dead
Sorry if you don’t find the distinction important, but you acted like teachers can stand in the hallway and see what is going on in the bathroom. That must have been important to you, as you specifically addressed it. The report does not support your conclusion.

...ok. Back to your old stalker ways I see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT