ADVERTISEMENT

Fayette County Schools - Canceling STEM at James Lane Allen due to lack of staffing (funding)

Jun 2, 2005
First arts program at Cassidy cut. Now, STEM at James Lane Allen cut. Fayette County Schools should be rolling in the $$. Where is it all going? DEI programs and high administrative overhead? It’s ridiculous everything that has happened since our superintendent and current/prior board has been in position. And it’s only going to get worse.

from Mrs. Kathy Keinath, STEM teacher at James Lane Allen Elementary:

"It has been an amazing experience being your children's STEM instructor. We have done many great things. They have all driven Sphero's and programmed them. They have learned to add things to a Padlet. They have used Google doc, slides and created wonderful stop- motion movies about different topics. We have hatched chicken eggs, watched ladybug larvae turn into ladybugs and watched caterpillars turn into butterflies. They have learned about different kinds of animals, their habitats and life cycles. They have build bridges and stacked 100's of cups. We are even flying Drones on these last few days. There are lots of other things we've done. Sadly this won't be happening next year.
The district did not provide enough staffing to continue STEM, so I will be back in a grade level classroom. Thank you for this opportunity to teach all of your children."

Last edited:
No science, technology, engineering, or math? Wtf are they setting kids up for then?

artworks-2z3F7gv0YyZs809c-zimxvg-t500x500.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: BigBlueDave
STEM is a 'specials' class. Kids will still get Science and Math during regular instruction. Technology standards are supposed to be met by classroom teachers. They also get to keep Art, Music, Gym, and Library. This is the exact same situation as Cassidy. It's all about student enrollment.

STEM is a 'specials' class. Kids will still get Science and Math during regular instruction. Technology standards are supposed to be met by classroom teachers. They also get to keep Art, Music, Gym, and Library. This is the exact same situation as Cassidy. It's all about student enrollment.
Is there still funding for upgraded restrooms?

Why is student enrollment decreasing? Are parents that can afford it saying they have had enough and going to other options while those who can’t afford it are stuck? Is that an issue if so?

Reactions: 80 Proof
Have no idea what STEM or DEI is.

Kids will be alright. Teach them how to paint or weld.
No need to know what dei was.
It has been rebranded. They will tell you with a straight face that dei does not exist.

Unity, Belonging and Efficacy are the preferred nomenclature.

There are 70 stipends or salaries that were not on the chopping block first.

• Wow
Reactions: LowerLevelSeatA
Why is student enrollment decreasing? Are parents that can afford it saying they have had enough and going to other options while those who can’t afford it are stuck? Is that an issue if so?
That's where I'm at. I grew up in public schools and have several family members that were public school teachers. I do not intend to send my kids to the mess that is occurring at FCPS, despite the high costs of private school.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
I don't think it's decreasing per se at James Lane Allen. There are at most 4 homerooms per grade level, most have three. With the way the schedule works I'd venture to guess that the Specials teachers had 'extra' periods without kids due to five specials and 19 homerooms. That's 30 possible spots in the schedule for 19 classes, leaving 11 periods without kids. Take out one planning per 'day' and that leaves 6 empty periods. As much as I like some free time when it rarely happens, that's a lot of downtime and I'm sure the homeroom teachers wouldn't be a big fan of that.

Far beyond anything you could imagine. I really wish folks like yourself, and the OP would run for School Board, and clean house over there. It's a cesspool of waste.
I'm not jumping into that cesspool. Shit is going to implode, and whoever is on the board at that time is going to get raked. Anyone trying rid of that imbecile superintendent is going to get raked as well.

Reactions: LowerLevelSeatA
I don't blame you. But it will take some folks with backbone to "clear that mess".

I don't blame you. But it will take some folks with backbone to "clear that mess".
Yes it will. It's going to have to be fully broken before the asshats around here will admit that it needs to be fixed though.

This cluster is a great example of why KY needs vouchers. And to get them, the constitutional amendment must pass. Way more important than who the next President is. This is our kids.

Honestly I think you guys need to get a levy passed with 50 million in funding from the taxpayers. These school are just too broke, there’s just not enough money!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT