ADVERTISEMENT

Drew’s gonna be the guy

People aren't saying it, but a lot of the naysayers don't like the religion part of it being brought into UK.
Cal brought religion most Kentuckians are fine with that if the coach is a winner. Uk fans are fine with an atheist if he wins. Drew is a mid tier coach and there are plenty of better options in that tier people who will bring at least some excitement

They are targeting Hurley, then Donovan, then Drew.

If this is now the news and is accurate, it only means both Hurley and Donovan said nope, even with cash offer on the table.
Donavan the timeline may have scared Barnhart off since he would have had to wait awhile, I don’t know how Hurley could already said no.

I will also say, Drew shouldn’t be the only call in that group. Pearl or even Pitino or Beard (extremely long shots on those two) could also be included in that group.
Hell no to Pimptino. Abortions....hookers....banging chicks on restaurant tables....NCAA infractions.....71 years old....and a GD UofL tattoo on his back.
You're nuts if you think he's getting a call.

Religion is very integral to Drew's approach. Baylor, being integrated with religious faith, suited him perfectly.
He has been a head coach for 23 years, with 22 at Baylor.
Loyalty is a very good thing. It might be really hard for him to leave the program he’s built over the years.
In that sense, Baylor really is a perfect fit for him. The Bible-thumping doesn’t go over as well at secular state schools.

Maybe Mitch should also be at Baylor.

It won't matter if any coach comes in here and wins. Regardless at first if we want him or not. Some people didn't want Cal when we first got him. I'd rather have a bible thumper who can keep kids than someone keeping kids for only one year. Madness...

Reactions: JustinH2006
And it will be a Mitch good ole boy special. Our program is broken maybe on life support. Drew will surely kill it. The guy will get man handled in the sec. No real pursuit of oats we will be back here in two years trying to hire oats or another guy. And Barney will saddle us with another massive contract for another terrible fit. Please get this clown outta Lexington before he kills the program.
Damn, doomsday much? Did you kick a dog after you typed that? Give whoever he hires a chance at least.

If you're UK with their history and resources you've got to go for the home run hire. If you make your best offer and they say no then move on.

How does one reconcile this kind of religious focus as a state university? I'm not hitting on religion, but just saying it'll be a weird match up to have someone so open about how much he centers his team and school around Christianity at Baylor somehow coming and doing the same thing at a public university like Kentucky. I mean there are a TON of situations state schools have that would completely conflict with his religious belief system and approach to coaching.

I just don't see him leaving Baylor if religion is in fact his #1 focus on how he coaches and mentors.
The university hasn't had a problem with Barnhart who, by all accounts is as devout as Drew. In fact, the President and Board love Barnhart. He does raise a LOT of money and there have been very few scandals under his watch.
Tony Bennett at UVA is deeply religious and hasn't had a problem at a very liberal university. Buzz Williams at TAMU is apparently a religious guy too.
And what's wrong with bringing godly values to the sports environment anyway?

The problem is we can’t handle it. No way am I giving this Ass clown 3 years. The guy isn’t what you guys think. He is an awful fit and sure fire way to kill the program

Who’s your pick? I’m not saying Drew is the end all be all, just who I think Mitch picks. Couple other better options but I’m not sure they’re coming.

The university hasn't had a problem with Barnhart who, by all accounts is as devout as Drew. In fact, the President and Board love Barnhart. He does raise a LOT of money and there have been very few scandals under his watch.
Tony Bennett at UVA is deeply religious and hasn't had a problem at a very liberal university. Buzz Williams at TAMU is apparently a religious guy too.
And what's wrong with bringing godly values to the sports environment anyway?
Well, you don't need God for good values. Just want to lay that out there first and foremost. People who don't have or need religion in their lives aren't heathens.

And this is a bit different than Mitch who's the AD. And is Bennett really as deeply religious / evangelical as Drew is? I'm just saying they can do what they want as a private team. Public schools have a whole lot of "stuff" (I'll leave it at that - you know what I'm getting at) that really bucks the system of a religious zealot.

This is just about one thing for me - I don't want to know about his religion. Just coach the team. Keep that stuff to yourself. But I guess the way it sounds like it's going with leaks is that we're about to find out.

Reactions: bookerfan66
And it will be a Mitch good ole boy special. Our program is broken maybe on life support. Drew will surely kill it. The guy will get man handled in the sec. No real pursuit of oats we will be back here in two years trying to hire oats or another guy. And Barney will saddle us with another massive contract for another terrible fit. Please get this clown outta Lexington before he kills the program.
Good God you are a drama queen

Just found out the Drew would bring Billy Armstrong with him if he comes. Billy was Will Wades assistant and got the show clause. Bill is at link academy with 5-6 pros. He’s jasper johnsons coach. That make me warm to the idea of Drew.

Reactions: Fox2monk
No chance! Apparently UK is throwing around dollar amounts not too many sane individuals could pass up!

Drew is about a $4-$5 million type guy to me.
That’s what I’m saying. Starting at 11M for Hurley. Who knows that may be enough on its face. UConn is operating at a reported 30M loss. They may not match dollar for dollar. Maybe he won’t care or maybe we raise the offer until he says it’s too much to turn down. After that, we still have Billy D and possible Oats. I haven’t heard if we will talk to him or not.

And other sources say they're offering Hurley 11 million as just a starter.

Who do you believe and who do you not?
I know right, it’s gonna be crazy. Look in the end of its Drew we will still be good. We may not be excited but it’s not a bad hire at all. I do hope we force Hurley though. That would be a power play and all the blue bloods and especially IU and UofL would shit a brick.

And $11 million is a lazy effort?
I don’t believe Barney has made any real effort for Hurley or it would be all over the national press. This feels like Barney is putting info out to our insiders to give the appearance no one else wanted the job. The entire time it was drew

I'll bet it's Drew, he's the safe bet. Barney doesn't have the balls to swing for the fences.

I don’t believe Barney has made any real effort for Hurley or it would be all over the national press. This feels like Barney is putting info out to our insiders to give the appearance no one else wanted the job. The entire time it was drew
Well what you “believe” and what has actually happening are two vastly different things and the fact remains you don’t know crap about what’s happening behind the scenes.

People aren't saying it, but a lot of the naysayers don't like the religion part of it being brought into UK.
It isn't about the religion. It's about Mitch doing what's comfortable for himself and not what's best for UK. Drew has 8 double digit loss seasons in the last 12. He has 15 in his 21 years there. We wanted to get rid of Tubby and Cal for double digit loss seasons.

He's lost in the 2nd round in 4 of the last 5 tournaments and didn't get out of the opening weekend in 6 of the past 11. With 2 NIT appearances and 2 Sweet Sixteens in those other 5 seasons. The 1 outlier is that championship after the Covid year. We're more likely to get the bad than the outlier year with him.

Hurley’s been asked about the UK job by multiple people and said it was a non factor. Said he barely got his wife to move from N Jersey. They aren’t coming. Got almost 7 mil this year and will get another raise.

Billy D sounds interested but it feels like Barney isn't even going to reach out. What a joke.

"Billy Donovan said Kentucky had not contacted him about the head coach position.Spoke highly of UK and said he’s flattered, but brushed the last 48 hours off as speculation.“My total commitment and focus is here.”Quipped later: “Has John even left yet?.”

Billy D sounds interested but it feels like Barney isn't even going to reach out. What a joke.

"Billy Donovan said Kentucky had not contacted him about the head coach position.Spoke highly of UK and said he’s flattered, but brushed the last 48 hours off as speculation.“My total commitment and focus is here.”Quipped later: “Has John even left yet?.”
How does that sound like he is interested? People are bonkers around here right now.

• Haha
Reactions: flacat22

Whether he has been contacted by UK or not (likely through back channels) he has to say that because until today UK wasn't allowed to contact anyone. Calipari's contract had a clause that forbid UK from "officially" contacting other coaches about the job. The little "Has John even left yet?" is VERY telling to me. It says he is aware that Calipari hadn't notified UK officially.

Couldnt be more wrong...

Couldn't be more wrong...Drew began his coaching career as an assistant for Valparaiso under his father Homer Drew. Following his father's retirement in 2002, Drew would serve as the head coach of Valparaiso for one season before being hired by Baylor in 2003. Drew took over Baylor as a program in ruins, following decades of mediocre-to-poor performance and a public scandal that resulted in numerous NCAA sanctions. After four seasons rebuilding the program, Drew turned Baylor from a program with only one NCAA tournament appearance since 1950 into a perennial tournament contender appearing in 10 of 13 tournaments since 2008. In 2021, Drew would lead Baylor to a Big 12 championship, 28–2 record and their first ever NCAA championship. Drew's turnaround at Baylor is considered by many to be one of the best in the history of college sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT