ADVERTISEMENT

I just don't get the pushback on Drew

Tubbyfan78

Junior
Feb 9, 2021
I'm not saying he's my first choice either. However, the guy is a damn fine ball coach. Whatever success he had at Baylor will be amplified at UK. I see us back at the UK standard. I'm not saying it's like the Pitino years or Cals first 6 but he can certainly make final fours and win titles. We'll see guys grow and stick in the program for more than one year and see a guy who is prepped and primed on game day. He's a very good hire. Again, he's probably 4th for me, but still a guy I can get behind. My list would be;
1. Hurley
2. Donovan
3. Oats
4. Drew
No shame in being 4th behind those names.

He’s been a head coach at a power five program for over 20 years and has only one final four. He has a good resume but there are a lot of holes in terms of consistent NCAA tournament runs, which is 99% of what we’re looking for

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
He had one good year out of 21.

I think 21 years is plenty of time, especially for such an amazing coach. He has a .500 conference record, and only 3 conference titles.
Thats just patently false. He's had a ton of great years and started as a no name coach at arguably the worst job in college sports. He has more titles than Rick, Cal, Tubby, Joe B or Rupp when they got here. He'll win at different level here. It's just not the same job.

No way to know his success would be amplified at UK, could be worse than his overall record now.

He may thrive in his current environment that has him on a pedestal, coincides with his religious beliefs, where his family is, daughter attends, been at 20 yrs, etc.

UK is a diff animal and even diff than when Cal came here. The pressure to produce will be more than I’d want to deal with if I was him.

Reactions: bookerfan66
It’s not rocket science.

1. His title is a little suspect because COVID year. Not fake. Just a little suspect.

2. Outside his title he’s averaging one Elite Eight every decade as his ceiling.

Why is it so hard to understand that that’s not a picture that excites Kentucky fans?

It’s nothing personal. As a guy he looks like a great guy. In fact, despite my many flaws I’m a serious Jesus freak and I see Drew’s religious aspect as a major positive. He’s just not inspiring as a potential head coach here from a basketball perspective. I continue to believe that we could be perfectly happy with landing him if and only if the more potent basketball names in front of him are called first and offered seriously and turn us down.

He had one good year out of 21.

I think 21 years is plenty of time, especially for such an amazing coach. He has a .500 conference record, and only 3 conference titles.
But it’s Baylor. Who plays in the same conference as Kansas. In a state where it historically has taken a back seat to Texas, Texas Tech and Houston. You pair his coaching/recruiting pedigree with Kentucky’s resources — I think we’re insane to not be excited about the possibilities.

Plus, I just watched Tristan Newton and Cam Spencer kick butt for 6 rounds in the NCAA Tournament. You’re telling me we wouldn’t be excited for a potential Reed Sheppard/V.J. Edgecombe backcourt next year?

The pushback is because there are currently better options, one of which could potentially usher in a golden age.

None of this is hard to understand.
Except you don't know if he has contacted those options. I'd bet my house Barnhart has through back channels contacted all of them. I'm saying if we land on Drew that's not a bad thing. Obviously you didn't understand my post as I clearly has him my 4th choice. However, he's a hell of a 4th choice.

But it’s Baylor. Who plays in the same conference as Kansas. In a state where it historically has taken a back seat to Texas, Texas Tech and Houston. You pair his coaching/recruiting pedigree with Kentucky’s resources — I think we’re insane to not be excited about the possibilities.

Plus, I just watched Tristan Newton and Cam Spencer kick butt for 6 rounds in the NCAA Tournament. You’re telling me we wouldn’t be excited for a potential Reed Sheppard/V.J. Edgecombe backcourt next year?
Reed is gone and no guarantee VJ follows him.Duke was his second choice.

Reactions: Cayts69
If we exhausted every option above Drew, then it would settle a lot of nervousness. Mitch has to at least call every option and throw an offer. But to skip over the top tier and not even have the conversation with them based on assumptions is wreckless and incompetent. This would be my preferred list.

1. Wright
2. Hurley
3. Donovan
4. Oats
5. Pearl
6. Drew
7. Beard

It's mainly a lack of knowledge about what he started with at Baylor and their basketball history.
Nah, it's seeing 3 straight first weekend exits as a top 3 seed and only 2 trips past the first weekend in the last 9 tournaments. Having good teams then getting upset early over and over after 1 stellar run sounds a lot like what we've been seeing with Calipari. Maybe he'll have great success if he's our coach. He certainly has shown he CAN do it, he can build competitive teams and he's won a title. He'll have the resources to build great rosters. But his tournament record overall is not up to what you'd expect given the teams' resumes going into March. I'm not mad if he's the hire, but he wouldn't be at the top of my list like he's rumored to be at the top of Mitch's.

No way to know his success would be amplified at UK, could be worse than his overall record now.

He may thrive in his current environment that has him on a pedestal, coincides with his religious beliefs, where his family is, daughter attends, been at 20 yrs, etc.

UK is a diff animal and even diff than when Cal came here. The pressure to produce will be more than I’d want to deal with if I was him.
You can throw what he has done at Baylor out the window. To be honest I don’t trust Barnhart to find any home run hire like the fans and boosters want. Barnhart is to religious for my liking. He doesn’t have the win or bust attitude that’s needed right now.

If we exhausted every option above Drew, then it would settle a lot of nervousness. Mitch has to at least call every option and throw an offer. But to skip over the top tier and not even have the conversation with them based on assumptions is wreckless and incompetent. This would be my preferred list.

1. Wright
2. Hurley
3. Donovan
4. Oats
5. Pearl
6. Drew
7. Beard
I completely disagree on Pearl. He's the only coach Cal ever outcoached and he did it 3 times. I agree he needs to call Wright, Hurly and Donovan but you can't convince me he hasn't reached out to those guys in some way. You can't expect to know every conversation that takes place. I love Oats too but I see him on a similar level so if he takes Drew over Oats, I disagree but I get it.

Nah, it's seeing 3 straight first weekend exits as a top 3 seed and only 2 trips past the first weekend in the last 9 tournaments. Having good teams then getting upset early over and over after 1 stellar run sounds a lot like what we've been seeing with Calipari. Maybe he'll have great success if he's our coach. He certainly has shown he CAN do it, he can build competitive teams and he's won a title. He'll have the resources to build great rosters. But his tournament record overall is not up to what you'd expect given the teams' resumes going into March. I'm not mad if he's the hire, but he wouldn't be at the top of my list like he's rumored to be at the top of Mitch's.
He's not at the top of my list either but he's not average like some here are saying. It's a little easier to win at UK than Baylor.

Reactions: Tubbyfan78

You can make that exact same statement about every coach on that list so it's meaningless. Every coach has performed better here than his previous job except the drunks.

Except you don't know if he has contacted those options. I'd bet my house Barnhart has through back channels contacted all of them. I'm saying if we land on Drew that's not a bad thing. Obviously you didn't understand my post as I clearly has him my 4th choice. However, he's a hell of a 4th choice.
Yeah, this echoes my sentiments.

Before this, our wish list was guys with a Final Four on their resume and we got Sutton, Pitino, and Cal, all who made a Final Four. We took Tubby and Billy with only Sweet 16 finishes on their resumes. If you told us at previous points that we could have a guy who won a national championship and had three Elite 8s, we'd be pretty stoked.

Drew isn't flashy. He's certainly not my first choice but if that guy is a guaranteed fall back after Hurley and Donovan decline, yeah he's as good as we could possibly get and should be pretty thankful for it. We can't make someone want to come here if they don't have the interest.

Reactions: Tubbyfan78
You can make that exact same statement about every coach on that list so it's meaningless. Every coach has performed better here than his previous job except the drunks.

It’s not meaningless. Look into the person of Scott Drew and things that are important to him.
UK will eat him alive if he doesn’t produce, he hasn’t even been hired yet and half the fan base already is grumbling.

Reactions: Catfan2226
It’s not meaningless. Look into the person of Scott Drew and things that are important to him.
UK will eat him alive if he doesn’t produce, he hasn’t even been hired yet and half the fan base already is grumbling.
It is meaningless because it could happen to any coach. Hurley, Donovan, Oats could all fold under the pressure. In fact, I'd argue they're more likely because their fiery personalities. Those guy could easily piss off the fan base with their abrasiveness. You're just implying Drew will fold because you can't come up with a better reason.

It is meaningless because it could happen to any coach. Hurley, Donovan, Oats could all fold under the pressure. In fact, I'd argue they're more likely because their fiery personalities. Those guy could easily piss off the fan base with their abrasiveness. You're just implying Drew will fold because you can't come up with a better reason.

I’ll be more than happy to be proven wrong if he’s hired.

i dont understand why anyone wants him. the year he won was the crazy covid year. other than then he is locked in at 14 losses and a first or second round exit. he plays slow it down basketball. he is as far from a coach the majority of us would pick as you can get. no way people who like him have actually watched any baylor basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT