ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch shouldn’t have to break the bank for Drew right?

Mar 30, 2024
I’m fine with hiring Drew since the “tier 1” coaches aren’t coming here. Honestly, there isn’t a slam dunk coach out there and that’s not anybody’s fault. But we shouldn’t have to pay Drew $8m/year for 8 years surely. If so, get an up and comer like Golden we can fire in a few years if it doesn’t work out. I hope Mitch has learned his lesson with these contract negotiations. Worse thing that could happen would be to get into another situation where we’re locked in for a decade with an underachieving coach.

I honestly don’t think hes worth even 4 mil a year. Should be a chance to save money to get who we want for sure

Reactions: BlueVoodoo
If you think he’s going to hire his buddy and not funnel him the most money he thinks he can get away with you’re delusional.

His friend, someone else’s money. UK will get fleeced.

I think Drew makes slightly over $5 mil at Baylor. So maybe he leaves for 6-8 ?

I honestly don’t think hes worth even 4 mil a year. Should be a chance to save money to get who we want for sure

I don’t think fans realize this ain’t going to be a short time job no matter the results. He will be here 10+ years unless he starts drinking and locking players in bathroom stalls.

Reactions: rodgersl
You don’t watch much basketball do you?
His first four years at Baylor he had a losing record every season.

The next four he had 10+ losses 3 of 4 years and a losing conference record 2 of 4.

The next five seasons he had 10+ losses 4 of 5 years, and finished .500 in conference two of those seasons.

The next four seasons he had 10+ losses 2 of 4 seasons with a losing conference record 1 season.

The next four seasons he DID win a championship, then proceeded to still lose 10+ games 2 of 4, and never make it out of the first weekend of the tournament except for the championship season.

He’s has two admittedly good years in his entire career. Both of them during Covid. Since then he’s lost 11 games twice, and never made it out of the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. He should be a desperation hire. Not a top choice.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
I don’t think fans realize this ain’t going to be a short time job no matter the results. He will be here 10+ years unless he starts drinking and locking players in bathroom stalls.
If he is here 10+ years his performance at Kentucky is going to need to be noticeably better than anytime in his career save that one season, or he and Mitch will have turned Kentucky into Indiana. Luckily Mitch is close enough to retirement that he won’t ever have to face the music on this one.

If he is here 10+ years his performance at Kentucky is going to need to be noticeably better than anytime in his career save that one season, or he and Mitch will have turned Kentucky into Indiana. Luckily Mitch is close enough to retirement that he won’t ever have to face the music on this one.

Yeah it’s a risky hire for that reason. Mitchs MO is allowing coaches to stay on past their expiration date (and this is his buddy) so everyone better hope this guy does here what he’s never done before.

Agree, you have to hope MB retires sooner than later and UK gets A top notch AD in place of him to pull the plug if it’s lukewarm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT