ADVERTISEMENT

Do you go to Church?

[QUOTYouord_Crow, post: 1886190, member: 12982"]There is a reason why it isn't done debate style.[/QUOTE]
Yep. It was not set up for your approval or mine. Just our acceptance

I guess I'm supposed to worry if you dont believe what I believe. Your arrogant little slams are weak and show that you truly just want to mock and belittle. Your questions are neither sincere nor new Just rehashed by you from someone you heard say them.

You are not asking in sincerity but to mock. You feel superior but approval from those likeminded as you is not impressive. There have always been doubters and mockers like you . I am so thankful for my faith and experiences . Some random guy like you just confirms that. You truly dont worry me. you however make me realize how sad times are now especially

Nope- not mocking at all- I've written long, intelligent posts. Valid questions, I would not devote several paragraphs and 30 minutes of posting a single post if I were "mocking" but again... Thanks for the insult... And confirming what I suspected to be true.
You're most recent "response" is a cowards way out . You paint me as some big bad mean athirst who is just making fun of the lowly Christian. Cmon man... Give me a break. Just because they are hard questions. Questions that make you think. Questions that require thought as opposed to quick, recycled jargon... Does not make mean I am mocking you.

It really is sad. I truly mean this, I feel sorry for you. Not in a mean way, not in a mockery way... I genuinely feel sorry for you.

But it is frustrating, aside from the one dude who keeps on being overly aggressive in this 10+ page thread, myself as well as Beavis and others have been pretty respectable. Our questions --- you cannot answer. So you tuck tail, and play the victim. I truly thought you seemed like an ok guy. An intelligent guy. And maybe you are , but this thread is proving otherwise. Not that I don't think you are intelligent... I just think, well I guess I think you just can't form an opinion or an answer that gravitates away from a simple minded answer you have ready to supply.

You seek out ways to NOT answer- example being- all of my valid questions in his thread. My posts taking up several paragraphs, good questions... Questions that adhere to your philosophy. Dialogue that could enrich this discussion ... You choose to ignore and paint me as the bad guy.

I am sorry for you dude, I really am. But honestly ? Perhaps I should be grateful. Grateful that you can have such profound faith in something you can't seem to have a high caliber discussion about.

These are sad days indeed. I am sorry you can't seem to grasp the very religion you claim to be the truth to salvation and heaven- and the catalyst to hell. Not everyone can dude. And that's ok. Perhaps you should not have jumped into this debate/ discussion because it is obvious you are in over your head. Other Christians in the thread have done a semi respectable job in explaining their views. It's just you, who can't seem to.

You continue to duck and dodge (and completely misunderstand) our posts. Are you doing this on purpose? Or are you just not equipped to answer? At least admit it dude, I'm not equipped to answer things or questions in regards to Marine Biology, the difference being I would admit that lol.

Take care man, and as I have said before. I do not judge you for this. I certainly don't think less of you. How could I? That would be cruel of me to hold you accountable for something you can't seem to grasp... Even though it is your own religion. It's just very strange to me.

Says who, you? Multiplied millions believe it.
But only multiplied thousands alive in 33 AD, or whatever year it was. (Which I've specified all along.) It's ok to say "I don't know" when someone asks you a question. I do it all the time. But I ask this question every time one of these threads come up, and no one else has ever given me an honest answer yet, either. So you are not alone

Reactions: TommyDevito
"Want to say sincerely that I pray for God to bless and help you and yours. Not meant in sarcastic way either." Cawood86

No, it may not have been meant in a sarcastic way, but it was meant in an arrogant and condescending way.

His questions are legitimate, they simply lack an answer. You could supply the answer but you refuse to accept it. You see, you have to have FAITH in your reasoning ability and trust your inner voice when it tells you "come on Cawood, get a grip, there is no god".

Reactions: TommyDevito
But only multiplied thousands alive in 33 AD, or whatever year it was. (Which I've specified all along.) It's ok to say "I don't know" when someone asks you a question. I do it all the time. But I ask this question every time one of these threads come up, and no one else has ever given me an honest answer yet, either. So you are not alone

Staying out of this for the most part. Good question beav, Romans chapter 11 verse 25 should provide your answer. FCC.

Honestly some of you are asking questions that Christians don't know the answer to. There is an aspect of faith without a doubt. We'd like to ask God ourselves.
What we do know is:
1) There has to be a God. Life is simply to complex and creative to believe otherwise.
2) There was a historic Jesus. He was killed. Nobody knows where his body is. Lots of people believed he rose from the dead by their actions.
3) When we gave our life to Christ, while far from perfect, our lives changed for the good. There is something supernatural about it.

Staying out of this for the most part. Good question beav, Romans chapter 11 verse 25 should provide your answer. FCC.

So the below is the answer?

25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

Honestly some of you are asking questions that Christians don't know the answer to. There is an aspect of faith without a doubt. We'd like to ask God ourselves.
What we do know is:
1) There has to be a God. Life is simply to complex and creative to believe otherwise.
2) There was a historic Jesus. He was killed. Nobody knows where his body is. Lots of people believed he rose from the dead by their actions.
3) When we gave our life to Christ, while far from perfect, our lives changed for the good. There is something supernatural about it.

1. There doesn't have to be. Life is only as complex as what we currently know Wkycat.
2. Debatable.
3. So before the alleged life of Christ, the world was awful? How did the alleged Christ's death affect Peruvians or the Chinese? What changed for them? Are you speaking for the betterment for white people? If that's the case, yeah. white people got a good deal out of the Christian religion.

Not joining int he pissing match, but to many people that don't believe are just as guilty of "picking and choosing" the verses they want answers to as the other side is of picking and choosing the verses they choose to believe.

The only question I have seen that I would chime in on, is about all the people who were raised in other religions and not introduced to Christianity. No where does it say that everyone goes to hell if they don't believe in God. What it says is that if they REJECT Him. To reject Him you must first have to be told of Him which is why Christians are asked to witness and testify to the masses. The same reason babies, mentally incapable etc aren't condemned to hell. You must consciously have been exposed and reject.

Sorry man. Thought you meant the world changed.

Willy, You don't believe Christ was real? I can understand some not believing he was the son of God, but not that he never lived.
I think some on here have a problem with organized religion and I do as well. I don't care for the large stadium churches, or televangelists. It kind of misses the purpose in my mind. Im not catholic so the whole hierarchy of the Catholic Church seems wrong.

I had a friend tell me that religion is for people who don't want to go to hell, and spirituality is for those that's already been there.

I don't understand why some seem to think a person can't believe in science, and also religion. I do, I believe all of what's been posted in this thread about science is true to the best of the posters knowledge. It doesn't change that I also believe in God.
As I posted earlier, I was similar to many of you, I considered myself a Christian, but by name only. Personal things happened in my life. Things that I alone was not able to change, and trust me I tried. It didn't change until I turned it over to God, that is the truth. Some of you may say I'm weak, and I guess I was, but never the less that's the predicament I was in. And you may think God played no part in it, and as an outsider or nonbeliever I can understand that too. But I also know that once I made that small proclamation my life changed, now I had to do it, but my faith gave me the strength in my moments of weakness to carry on.
Anyway, carry on gentlemen

People that believe other religions, and those of us who don't believe any, couldn't give two shits about your heaven. They have their own version and I don't need one.

Only one god, one heaven? Talk about arrogant some more, hypocrite.

Willy,
I think some on here have a problem with organized religion and I do as well. I don't care for the large stadium churches, or televangelists. It kind of misses the purpose in my mind. Im not catholic so the whole hierarchy of the Catholic Church seems wrong.

It doesn't miss the purpose Bill, it reveals it. Is god impressed by Six Flags over Jesus, or is that for the pleasure of man?

Willy, You don't believe Christ was real? I can understand some not believing he was the son of God, but not that he never lived.

I had a friend tell me that religion is for people who don't want to go to hell, and spirituality is for those that's already been there.

I don't understand why some seem to think a person can't believe in science, and also religion. I do, I believe all of what's been posted in this thread about science is true to the best of the posters knowledge. It doesn't change that I also believe in God.
As I posted earlier, I was similar to many of you, I considered myself a Christian, but by name only. Personal things happened in my life. Things that I alone was not able to change, and trust me I tried. It didn't change until I turned it over to God, that is the truth. Some of you may say I'm weak, and I guess I was, but never the less that's the predicament I was in. And you may think God played no part in it, and as an outsider or nonbeliever I can understand that too. But I also know that once I made that small proclamation my life changed, now I had to do it, but my faith gave me the strength in my moments of weakness to carry on.
Anyway, carry on gentlemen
Anything that brings a man peace with his own mind can make a dramatic improvement in his life. I would imagine that is the great appeal to religion. To just be able to hand it all over to someone else so you don't have to be afraid any more. Children often adopt imaginary friends for much the same reason. Whatever the mind needs to fill the void it may very well conjure out of a necessity to survive.

Since the very first image was scrawled on a cave man has sought to attribute things to some other power so that he might be comforted in understanding even if the sun does not get stolen by another jealous god every evening or some bird doesn't hatch the moon out of its arse. These stories provide comfort to those that simply want an answer, any answer, in order to be at peace.

Last edited:

I'm on the fence on that one. I know. It may be extreme. But outside the 4 authors that are commonly used to validate his existence (most of which have been extrapolated with a Christian bias) is scarce compared to the hundreds and hundreds of Roman writers who never spoke of Jesus. Don't want to open a shit storm on that one. That's my general feeling Bill.

It doesn't miss the purpose Bill, it reveals it. Is god impressed by Six Flags over Jesus, or is that for the pleasure of man?

I meant the purpose of worship and faith. I understand fully well why they set up mega churches.

Anything that brings a man peace with his own mind can make a dramatic improvement in his life. I would imagine that is the great appeal to religion. To just be able to hand it all over to someone else so you don't have to be afraid any more. Children often adopt imaginary friends for much the same reason. Whatever the mind needs to fill the void it may very well conjure out of a necessity to survive.

I know, I'm just telling you sometimes things no matter how hard we try are out of our control. I can't do justice to what I'm trying to say on here, and you Guys are taking it wrong.

People that believe other religions, and those of us who don't believe any, couldn't give two shits about your heaven. They have their own version and I don't need one.

Only one god, one heaven? Talk about arrogant some more, hypocrite.

Was that directed at me?

I'm on the fence on that one. I know. It may be extreme. But outside the 4 authors that are commonly used to validate his existence (most of which have been extrapolated with a Christian bias) is scarce compared to the hundreds and hundreds of Roman writers who never spoke of Jesus. Don't want to open a shit storm on that one. That's my general feeling Bill.

I understand willy.

We get it. It is a feeling. You cannot explain it rationally but you are convinced of it. So therefore it must be god or what your geographic location has dictated you will believe your version of god is.

People get obsessed over small things because big things are overwhelming. The mind shrinks things down to a level it can deal with. Hence obsession with things as it blocks out the large unimaginable parts you cannot deal with. Time conceptually is terrifying and the eternal expanse of death is a horror all unto its own. To offer up a cop out to where you are not responsible for your fate and also that death will not be eternal nothingness seems like a great bargain I would imagine. Surrender to your geographically convenient religion and you don't have to deal with the very most terrifying aspects of having lived.

To some that is necessary and I understand. Wherever it is that you happen to live. You cannot explain your beliefs so perhaps you might want to go back to scrawling them on cave walls.

We get it. It is a feeling. You cannot explain it rationally but you are convinced of it. So therefore it must be god or what your geographic location has dictated you will believe your version of god is.

No lordcrow, that's not what I said. It's not a feeling, a feeling passes. I can explain it rationally, but I also realize that no matter what I say someone is going to miss the big point and find something to poke holes in it.
I was trying to give a different angle other than bible scripture as to faith.

I'm not trying to change your or anyone's mind, I was just sharing my story.

People get obsessed over small things because big things are overwhelming. The mind shrinks things down to a level it can deal with. Hence obsession with things as it blocks out the large unimaginable parts you cannot deal with. Time conceptually is terrifying and the eternal expanse of death is a horror all unto its own. To offer up a cop out to where you are not responsible for your fate and also that death will not be eternal nothingness seems like a great bargain I would imagine. Surrender to your geographically convenient religion and you don't have to deal with the very most terrifying aspects of having lived.

To some that is necessary and I understand. Wherever it is that you happen to live. You cannot explain your beliefs so perhaps you might want to go back to scrawling them on cave walls.

Mine had nothing to do with being scared of dying. I was simply sharing my story, and somehow you turned that into scrawling on a wall lol

Yes, we do. My family and I are active in our little church, which is celebrating it's 170th birthday this year. LCC probably only has about 75 active members, so we are quite tiny. We know everyone by their first names. I'm a deacon, work on Evangelism and am on the church board; my older son plays drums for the Praise Team, sings and is a junior deacon. Our youngest became an acolyte this year and brings in the Light of Christ on Sundays. Hubby was more active in various activities before his work shift changed - but he would run the sound board for the Praise Team, and help out in other ways. We all believe in service to others. We don't tell anyone to pay 10% tithe - we ask that you give IF YOU CAN and WHAT YOU CAN - but if you can't, then give your time, if you are able.

And, as someone else posted: I do believe in science, and believe that faith and science go hand in hand. I do not believe in discriminating against anyone based on their status; married, divorced, widowed, single parent for whatever reason, lifestyle, etc, or their financial standing. I do believe in the power of prayer and I do believe, most of all, in the teachings of Christ.

Going to this little church restored our faith - and probably saved our marriage, as we started attending during a dark time in our lives. The prayers and support we received gave us what we needed to reevaluate and recommit. Our older son, who was not going to go to college, nor had really any ambition in any way is now going to Campbellsville University to study Music Ministry - he just got his acceptance letter, PLUS he was accepted into the School of Music there.

So, yes - we do go to church. And our faith is strong.

Reactions: ukdesi
Here, Bill. I hope this makes you feel better:

battlestar-galactica-cave-paintings1.jpg

Not joining int he pissing match, but to many people that don't believe are just as guilty of "picking and choosing" the verses they want answers to as the other side is of picking and choosing the verses they choose to believe.
Hey man, we're not the ones who called it "inerrant".

Reactions: Beavis606
I struggled with this for years. For example, the Flood Narrative. We know that by all accounts, the Epic of Gilgamesh, is an earlier historical document, predating the flood narrative of Genesis 6. This Sumerian document was a common narrative in many of the surrounding religions. Job, the righteous sufferer is another.

However, years ago, I realized that language interpretation was the biggest point of the Bible. Not that it was interpreted wrongly, but that the way we describe ideas changes. To people 5000 years ago, concepts, ideas just literally didnt exist. (I am going somewhere with this) There wasnt this idea of self awareness, or science, or anything. Anything that caused the winds to move, was God. If the sun burned your crops, God, if the soil was infertile, it was God. I dont even think we can begin to understand that mindset.

To put another way, our entire system of thought in the Western world. I.e. the very thought process we use (all of us) is based of Aristotelian logic. When we look at something, the way our minds interpret data, see things, make break downs, connections, literally comes from the logic Aristotle devised. Thats how powerful Aristotle's impact on the human race was. He literally changed our entire species thought processes.

Now before Aristotle, (mid 300 BC), categorical break downs did not exist. So when the J source, the E source, the Deuteronomist, and the Priestly writers were writing the old Testament (or Moses, whatever), these thoughts didnt exist. Stories where passed down orally, writing was still fairly new, language was at it basic from This is the first part into understanding the contradiction. They didnt have words like schadenfreude or keyboard. Concepts were simple.

Now, in Sumer, or modern day Iraq, (remember 6th grade geography) the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers were considered the fertile crescent. This spilled out past the sweet crop land of the delta. Now, we do have historical data and evidence of a great flood in this area. So did the Sumerians pass down a story about a great flood and then it was written into form? most likely. So since this the entire known world, when the text states the area flooded, it was the world. And since God causes all weather, it was God flooding the area. So a farmer had a boat and a bunch of animals.

So when this all said and done, its not hard to believe the flood narrative.

Now, some believe the flood covered the whole world, and maybe its an oral tradition from Pangaea, or who knows, this small stuff like whether or not we interpret a history book (essentially what the Bible is) with our modern thought process glasses or not or the old glasses, most of this misses the point.

Even if we talk about Jesus' bday being the winter solstice, or ripping off the Greek's Dionysus, the point comes down to some of this stuff isnt hard to fathom.

Religion and Spirituality are there as a guide for the human race on how to better people, men, and women. Christians believe that Jesus, came down from God, and was sacrificed to save our souls, and through belief in Him and the Resurrection, we are saved. This is where faith comes in. All the talk about science and no God, it starts with the fact you have consciousness (I know, Descartes 1600s), but this is the start.

Ultimately, we as a race will find the link between science and faith, however, in my belief, we lack the correct wording to accurately describe the infinite and all its beauty. To me, this connection and energy of the entire universe, all its atoms, wormholes, suns exploding, all that totality, is just the word God. As humans, in these weak fragile shells, we can feel disconnected. Look at this thread. You have one guy going on mission trips, dedicating his life to helping others, tithing, sacrificing to make other humans better, and yet in this thread, he is persecuted, called an idiot, a hypocrite, whatever, but at least that guy is milestones above Z and whomever, because he actually puts his money where his mouth is and goes out and attempts to make the world a better place. I am not a fundamentalist (obviously), but at the end of the day, that dude is making the world a better place. So the fact that someone seeks to experience the infinite connection of the Universe is a good thing. Jesus happens to be the doorway or keyhole to that experience.

I cant fault another man for what religion they believe. An old Japanese koan states, the view from the mountain top is the same, but how you get there is different.

So, why we can extrapolate other information from this statement, it misses the point. And the whole point of religion is to experience the infinite and be the best human you can be. Do people exploit that? sure. All men carry a level of hypocrisy. Gandhi and King both had affairs, but that did not diminish the work they did.

We can literally go through the list, Adam and Eve- the Mitochondrial Eve, sun stood still- a drought, four corners- all the world they knew, Moses, red sea- drought (remember, weather was attributed to God, so a walk way through the read sea during drought, could be attributed to helping Moses) but its getting caught up on things that dont matter. What matters is your connection to God. Nothing else.

you know, I can't always agree with you - but this was beautifully written. Thank you

Jesus wasn't some big name celebrity that everyone knew of. He was just a man living in a fairly isolated portion of the world. So it's not inconceivable that in his own lifetime he was not well know, and definitely not newsworthy.

Jesus wasn't some big name celebrity that everyone knew of. He was just a man living in a fairly isolated portion of the world. So it's not inconceivable that in his own lifetime he was not well know, and definitely not newsworthy.

I understand what you are saying, but alluding back to Beav- You'd think a guy turning wine into water and feeding villages on 2 fish and a loaf would be something newsworthy. Plus, social upheaval over Jesus being the Son of God Vs Roman Gods such as Zeus? Roman writers love a good drama.

Some of you people in this thread need to just stop trying to destroy my (what you call "delusions"). Ah crap....I don't actually have to read this junk....carry on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT