ADVERTISEMENT

Do you go to Church?

Yeah, it's really mind boggling that people believe ancient, copied, translated, copied, changed text is a medium an all knowing god of the universe would use to communicate his message.

CHINESE WHISPERS!!!!!111!!!11!!11!!1!
It doesn't even have to be a game of telephone, though. It can be the same sequence of words yielding multiple interpretations.

The only way to find the correct interpretation, of course, is to make a down payment of 10% of your income. Then you'll get your super secrete Orphan Annie decoder ring and the key to immortality will be revealed to you every Sunday morning at 10AM (simulcast en Espanol, of course)

Oral traditions and multiplied embellishments over decades are how the Jesus character evolved into superman.

BS. I can read. And it doesn't say what you want it to say.

51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split 52 and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. 53 They came out of the tombs after Jesus’ resurrection and went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

The version you use here is translated incorrectly. Any version that translates the original Koine Greek to imply a resurrection here (zombies terrorizing the town as you put it) is inaccurate and most importantly - it does not harmonize contextually with the remainder of the scriptures.

To be clear I believe MOST religions have estimable points.

I try to live my life by the best parts of those religions.

To be even clearer, I believe religion is a man made concept. One crafted from fear, necessity and opportunity, in that order.

Edit:Took out all those damn commas.

Last edited:
The version you use here is translated incorrectly. Any version that translates the original Koine Greek to imply a resurrection here (zombies terrorizing the town as you put it) is inaccurate and most importantly - it does not harmonize contextually with the remainder of the scriptures.

Tell me which exact translation is the real word of god, will you please?

New International Version
and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life.
New Living Translation
and tombs opened. The bodies of many godly men and women who had died were raised from the dead.
English Standard Version
The tombs also were opened. And many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised,
New American Standard Bible
The tombs were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised;
King James Bible
And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
Holman Christian Standard Bible
The tombs were also opened and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised.
International Standard Version
tombs were opened, and many saints who had died were brought back to life.
NET Bible
And tombs were opened, and the bodies of many saints who had died were raised.
Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Tombs were opened, and many bodies of the Saints who were sleeping arose.
GOD'S WORD® Translation
The tombs were opened, and the bodies of many holy people who had died came back to life.
Jubilee Bible 2000
and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who slept arose
King James 2000 Bible
And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints that slept arose,
American King James Version
And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
American Standard Version
and the tombs were opened; and many bodies of the saints that had fallen asleep were raised;
Douay-Rheims Bible
And the graves were opened: and many bodies of the saints that had slept arose,
Darby Bible Translation
and the tombs were opened; and many bodies of the saints fallen asleep arose,
English Revised Version
and the tombs were opened; and many bodies of the saints that had fallen asleep were raised;
Webster's Bible Translation
And the graves were opened, and many bodies of saints who slept, arose,
Weymouth New Testament
the tombs opened; and many of God's people who were asleep in death awoke.
World English Bible
The tombs were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised;
Young's Literal Translation
and the tombs were opened, and many bodies of the saints who have fallen asleep, arose,

The overall majority here simply use the English word "raised" or "arose" and the minority improperly imply some sort of actual resurrection took place here. It didn't. That is why the majority stop well short of saying "raised to life".

To be fair - many translators do consider this one of the most difficult scriptures to translate (and transliterate) from the original Greek into English because of how the Greek word for "raise" may be used in different ways.

The context here does not support a literal resurrection nor does it harmonize with the remaining scriptures. What it does support is simply corpses being thrown out of their tombs in an earthquake and passersby naturally going into the city to tell about it.

See, this is the problem with saying a book is the ultimate authority on all matters of truth: Two people can read the same string of words and interpret them differently.

With all due respect jamo0001, isn't this a bit of a cop out? Wouldn't this type of thinking cause people to throw their hands up and just walk away, never really knowing which is right or which is wrong?

I'm not suggesting this applies to you - but wouldn't you agree it applies to many in this thread? It seems the majority here are simply incapable of defending themselves.

With all due respect jamo0001, isn't this a bit of a cop out? Wouldn't this type of thinking cause people to throw their hands up and just walk away, never really knowing which is right or which is wrong?
How is it a cop out? We have the same issue with the US Constitution, hence having to maintain a massive judicial bureaucracy in order to interpret it in various situations.

There's a lot of commentary on this verse. One says it's a fulfillment of Daniel 12:2 talking about resurrections of the dead. I'm not interested in reading them all at the moment and I'm not planning on learning ancient Greek. Nor do I trust anybody's opinion.

I would expect god to make his message understandable by everybody. As already mentioned, that's another reason to reject it as purely man-made.

There's a lot of commentary on this verse. One says it's a fulfillment of Daniel 12:2 .

Daniel 12:2 has a fulfillment that is still in the future and has implications for all mankind. It has nothing to do with Matthew 27, which already happened 2,000 years ago and only affected a small amount of people in and around Jerusalem.

Thanks for your opinion on that commentary. I know there are many others to the contrary.

You still haven't answered the overall issue regarding flawed translations. Is there one named translation that is accurate for all books of the Bible or even just the NT? I think not. Not only are language translations involved, but also textual variants. Just wanted your thoughts about it. I'm off to bed.

Oral traditions and multiplied embellishments over decades are how the Jesus character evolved into superman.

There is not one extant manuscript (and there are 5,000 of them!) of the Christian Greek scriptures, nor one competent translation that relies on oral traditions.

Lol, I think you have the wrong robert Johnson. This one was a black blues singer that could barely read or write. Legend has it, he went down to the "crossroads" and sold his soul to be a talented musician/singer. It's been said the devil took his eye, as down payment. He started the curse of 27 which was proceed by the likes of cobain, Joplin, Hendrix, and Morrison are just a few.

lol, I just realized your subliminal South Park reference

Lol, I think you have the wrong robert Johnson. This one was a black blues singer that could barely read or write. Legend has it, he went down to the "crossroads" and sold his soul to be a talented musician/singer. It's been said the devil took his eye, as down payment. He started the curse of 27 which was proceed by the likes of cobain, Joplin, Hendrix, and Morrison are just a few.

lol, I just realized your subliminal South Park reference

No. The same Robert Johnson W2B. I know the story. Here's the real truth. He unfortunately carried the Ginger gene, thus making the contract with the devil null and void. Mr Johnson was granted celestial amnesty and now tells that very story to people up in Heaven. They think it's a hoot.

Lol, I think him and Brandon Ashley that played for Arizona are a rare speciman. The day wil hopefully come when we see a natural redheaded Mexican or Asian lol. I know that Asians apparently don't have the ginger gene.

Reactions: Willy4UK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT