ADVERTISEMENT

D-League: Got to keep up that Fast Paste Edition

Re: D-League: Time for Nine Edition

Originally posted by maverick1:

Dammit Willy -- brother here I am not only still TRYING to still be mad but also actively trying to find MORE reasons to be even madder, and you drop freakin insight like this on me.

Thank you. I sincerely mean that.
No man, thank you. It's a comfort to have a Mav post when they pop up. Thank the rest of the awesome folks that post in this thread too

If they we win, I'm sure we aren't having this discussion, and you'd have updated those tittays But, from now on I will have a new approach

Trying to process the consequences of the loss to me personally. Spent all day yesterday reflecting, reasoning, and in the end, it didn't help at all. I guess the loss of tittay updates by Mav will haunt me forever. What's the last one of the grieving process....acceptance? Ain't happening.

I am in a funk. Going to be 40 minutes late to work...

Thanks Cal.

If I show up 1.5 hrs after the start of church service, I expect it to be over, and I expect to get a plate of food.

The sun was glorious yesterday. That shit is over now. This is the worst Monday I can remember. Gonna storm all week. Figures. Can't wait for the 2nd greatest night in UK history...

Would you draft WCS? Where? Can't wrap my mind around that dude.

funKYcat's Draft PrognostUKtions

Gone - and should be gone.
WCS - Top 10 pick
KAT - #2 pick unless Okafor breaks a leg tonight or something. (Spoiler, his NBA measurements are going to be surprising. I think he is considerably shorter than what the roster says)

Probably Gone
Lyles - too many skills and too heralded of a prospect to stay, probably.

Probably Gone - but should stay
Booker - defense was exposed and shooting was suspect lately. Will end up on a good team that doesn't need him yet.
Aa. Harrison - Should stay for one more year and move up the board. 2nd rounder unless he impresses at the combine
An. Harrison - Uses bad words. NBA won't stand for potty mouths!
laugh.r191677.gif
2nd round. Stay and be a hero.

Probably Staying - and should stay
Dakari - has been hot garbage lately. Other than being large, what would a team see in him?
Poythress - Stay and become a UK legend. Get that MBA or Masters paid for, too.
Lee - He can jump real high ... that's about it
Tyler - Can't see anyone taking him yet.

Staying
Willis - It's coming. He's gonna be a big part of the ext two teams. Needs to hit the weight room.
Dominique - Gonna be a good leader. Reminds me of Ravi and Junior Braddy
Floreal - Gonna posterize some unsuspecting early season opponent next year and be on SCtop10

I don't pay that close of attention to recruits until after the draft unless they're like John Wall-types of players. So I couldn't tell you one thing about the new guys. Hopefully Cal can swing his nuts around a few more times and pick a couple of the really big guys up.

My take on tonight's game. I want neither team to win. I want Wisconsin to lose in horrifying fashion. As much as I dislike Duke as a result of being a UK fan, it would do my heart well to see them blow out the team in red. I just want to see them sad again.

My reasoning is that we are not really rivals with Duke, in my opinion. Most recruits are usually Duke leans or UK leans, but rarely both. We don't play them all that often, and when we do, it's usually awesome. If you take away a certain 2.1 seconds of the history of the world, Duke isn't all that bad. They're still top 5 hated on my list, but they're no UL, Indiana or UNC.

1. UL
mad.r191677.gif

2. UNC
3. Indiana
4. Wisconsin (temporarily, I suspect)
5. Duke.

Looking back at this tourney, the red flags were there. Other than West Virginia, this team gave 0% effort and heart. That's what got us beat. Next year, Cal better find a better group of motivated guys. WCS took waaaay too many games off. Didn't even show up this tourney. The Harrisons, who I love, but did not have the pop in their step. Dakari, again, did not have that pop in his game. We depended on freshman and we got beat. Our veterans did not show up.

So, if that isn't fixed next year then we will be having the same problems. Last 2 years we have been hampered by guards and SFs taking our bigs to the hole for lay ups. That needs to stop.
This post was edited on 4/6 9:28 AM by Willy4UK

Funky - I agree with your breakdown of who stays and who goes.

As far as tournament play, it seems like Towns, Andrew, and Aaron played pretty well, although Aarons shooting just never seemed to really come around like everyone expected.

Ulis was ok. Lee, and Dakari were role players at best.

Booker & Lyles really disappointed me. They seemed nervous most every game.

WCS - someone shoud have found his dudes is lit mode and kept it turned on. Aparently it's only good 20% of the time.

In other news, I do not like the side effects of sleeping pills, which include insomnia and depression. Kinda the 2 things I thought it would help.

Originally posted by maverick1:
Originally posted by funKYcat75:
Also, there are two reasons Lexington's news team is better than yours.

11136763_10153260818973447_40396059921649699_n.jpg

1, 4, 6, 7, 2, 3, 5
Thoughts of each person, from left to right, not including #1.

Chickfila girl - I have no boobs to speak of, but here is some free food.
Creeper in the back - The view back here ain't so bad either.
Plaid shirt guy - I wish my junk still worked ...
Two other gals - We're a 7 and 8 respectively, but might as well be a 0 compared to that.
Guy in jacket - if i close my eyes, no one can say I was staring at her jugs.

Originally posted by Willy4UK:

Looking back at this tourney, the red flags were there. Other than West Virginia, this team gave 0% effort and heart. That's what got us beat. Next year, Cal better find a better group of motivated guys. WCS took waaaay too many games off. Didn't even show up this tourney. The Harrisons, who I love, but did not have the pop in their step. Dakari, again, did not have that pop in his game. We depended on freshman and we got beat. Our veterans did not show up.

So, if that isn't fixed next year then we will be having the same problems. Last 2 years we have been hampered by guards and SFs taking our bigs to the hole for lay ups. That needs to stop.
f'n rack

But I don't get it because this team showed that fire and effort early in the season, then it tapered off to what we saw near the end. Like they were bored, or their minds were on other things. Willie especially. Good for him. He cared a lot about cancer kids and art, but his play dropped pretty dramatically as the year went on.

AND FOR CHRIST SAKES CAN WE NOT RUN??? That's the one huuuuuuge advantage we have against pretty much any team. We can saddle up the ponies and just run AND bruise your weak little honky ass out of the gym. We have the bench and athleticism to do that. We did it a handful of times this year, but not when it counted. Run and lob. Run and kick it out. Hell, just kick it out of the post every now and then...we didn't even do that. We had no offense. Give it to black hole KAT - who is awesome, and played great, but was not concerned with moving the ball just like the rest of his teammates - or just wait for Hero Twins to be Heroes. We played very selfish. Can't beat great teams like Wisconsin with 2 players.

But credit to Wisconsin. They made us play their game and we just took it up the rear like some hoes. I wish we would have been the aggressor.

SIGH

f'n Reds Ass time
mad.r191677.gif

STOOOOOOPS - any hope there? Is Drew Barker gonna be quarterback or nah? Will we have offensive line or nah?

Originally posted by -LEK-:
Is it odd I saw the chick-fil-a box and thought of mav?
As long as you didn't close your eyes and smile we cool.

Mash- That's what sucks about this year's team. We didn't really have any penetrating scorers this year. Meaning, AAron and Booker were mainly outside first, then see if there were any holes. None that really could create their own shot. Cal has to get that fixed next year. Newman and Brown are creators. Give them the ball when you need 2 points and it gets done. Oh and the last 2 years I have never seen a team so big miss so many 1 footers. That's crazy. So hopefully Skal is money from inside 10 feet.

Plus if Cal is having to get on them about effort 35 games into the season, then there's a problem.

Originally posted by Mashburned:

Originally posted by Willy4UK:

f'n rack

But I don't get it because this team showed that fire and effort early in the season, then it tapered off to what we saw near the end. Like they were bored, or their minds were on other things. Willie especially. Good for him. He cared a lot about cancer kids and art, but his play dropped pretty dramatically as the year went on.

AND FOR CHRIST SAKES CAN WE NOT RUN??? That's the one huuuuuuge advantage we have against pretty much any team. We can saddle up the ponies and just run AND bruise your weak little honky ass out of the gym. We have the bench and athleticism to do that. We did it a handful of times this year, but not when it counted. Run and lob. Run and kick it out. Hell, just kick it out of the post every now and then...we didn't even do that. We had no offense. Give it to black hole KAT - who is awesome, and played great, but was not concerned with moving the ball just like the rest of his teammates - or just wait for Hero Twins to be Heroes. We played very selfish. Can't beat great teams like Wisconsin with 2 players.

But credit to Wisconsin. They made us play their game and we just took it up the rear like some hoes. I wish we would have been the aggressor.

SIGH

f'n Reds Ass time
mad.r191677.gif

STOOOOOOPS - any hope there? Is Drew Barker gonna be quarterback or nah? Will we have offensive line or nah?
Rack Willy and rack Mash.

GDit I'm still pissed nearly beyond the capacity for rational thought -- and now apparently Rivals is touching up again cause this is the third time I've tried to post. Not gonna be a good day.

Upset as all hell, but getting sick of the bashing.

Cal has gotten us 4 final fours in 5 years and a Championship. Who the touch wouldnt trade that for everything.

Its pretty remarkable that we are all talking about the worst loss as a fan and bummed we "only" made a final 4.

Screw all the haters.

Harrisons coming back is what my gut tells me. Then again, had that taco bell breakfast and it was touching terrible.

Seriously, what the hell was Cal thinking? I re-watched the final 13 min or so late Saturday night/Sunday morning and did some very basic analysis of how we ran our "offense." I'm sure my numbers are slightly off -- I was sleep deprived, touching pissed, bleary eyed, etc... but they're not THAT far off, if any.

Everybody, except for Cal apparently, "knows" that we went into stall ball with 5 to go -- but here's how bad it actually was:
With 12:30 to go we were down 52-46. For the next eleven possessions we averaged taking the first shot from our offense with 21 seconds to go on the shot clock. [/B]The raw numbers I jotted were 18, 23, 26, 24 ,12, 29, 22, 25, 15, 22, and 16 seconds. There were no fast breaks to skew these numbers. During this time we went on a 14-4 run to take a 60-56 lead. Wisconsin was gassed and our foot was on their throat.During the next five possessions we averaged taking our first shot with 3.8 seconds left on the shot clock. The raw numbers were 2, 2, 9, 2 and 4 seconds. Three of these possessions resulted in shot clock violations (three in a row in fact). Also, during three of these possessions a Harrisi stood lock-legged dribbling near mid-court (well, two near mid-court and once about 12 feet from the 3 pt line) until 8-9 seconds left on the shot clock.During these five possessions Wisconsin went on a 7-0 run to take a lead they never relinquished.
(At first I kept track of when we "started" working for a shot during these 16 possessions. While it's clear to any impartial observer that we were "stalling" after going up 60-56, it's kind of subjective when we actually "started" our offense -- this is why I focused on when the actual shot was taken.)

Cal can bullshit all he wants about not stalling, but he's as full of shit as Pitino ever was. These numbers don't lie. This type of abrupt and total change in offensive philosophy -- FROM SOMETHING THAT WAS DEMONSTRABLY WORKING -- doesn't happen by accident. Cal ordered this tactic and thus shit the bed, plainly and simply. Now I'm NOT suggesting the fix was in -- although I love a good conspiracy as much as anyone and nothing in this life would surprise me any more. Rather, Cal simply made a stupid, idiotic, indefensible decision that cost us a chance at college basketball immortality.

Naked I came out of my mother's womb, and naked I shall return hither: Cal giveth and Cal hath taken away.

I feel like we just naturally shit the bed. It wasn't so much a game tactic; we just played like we were scared to lose. Nothing we did was much different than the other uninspired games we played, and we played a lot of them. Just not against teams like Wisconsin. That Deker (sp) kid is something else.

But f it. Yea we made the final 4. Let us hang a banner and look forward to switched them titties up in the 2-0-1-6.

To top of this glorious Monday: I'm still waiting for TWC to hook my shit up. 10-12 scheduled. Sat here till 11, then left a big note on the door "Hey TWC, I'm just one minute down the road. Please call and I'll be there ASAP. Thanks". Didn't happen. Came back around 12, called em up, verbally sparred with robot woman, finally talked to a human , said they called my phone multiple times. I told them they did not. They told me I probably didn't answer because its a funny number that I wouldn't recognize. I told them I specifically left a note on the door so they would call me and not leave. She told me to make sure my phone was on. Sigh. She said they'd be back within the hour, no problem. 3 hours later...

Dqoizjnsofiqnspdownqlspcwyhepcansixxjej

Upset as all hell, but getting sick of the bashing.

Cal has gotten us 4 final fours in 5 years and a Championship. Who the touch wouldnt trade that for everything.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Wasnt directed at you Mav, it was directed at people outside the fanbase. Screw Cal, but he is ours. Arguably the best coach in cbb in last 5 years.

funKYcat's Draft PrognostUKtions

Gone - and should be gone.
WCS - Top 10 pick
KAT - #2 pick unless Okafor breaks a leg tonight or something. (Spoiler, his NBA measurements are going to be surprising. I think he is considerably shorter than what the roster says)

Probably Gone
Lyles - too many skills and too heralded of a prospect to stay, probably.

Probably Gone - but should stay
Booker - defense was exposed and shooting was suspect lately. Will end up on a good team that doesn't need him yet.
Aa. Harrison - Should stay for one more year and move up the board. 2nd rounder unless he impresses at the combine
An. Harrison - Uses bad words. NBA won't stand for potty mouths!
laugh.r191677.gif
2nd round. Stay and be a hero.

Probably Staying - and should stay
Dakari - has been hot garbage lately. Other than being large, what would a team see in him?
Poythress - Stay and become a UK legend. Get that MBA or Masters paid for, too.
Lee - He can jump real high ... that's about it
Tyler - Can't see anyone taking him yet.

Staying
Willis - It's coming. He's gonna be a big part of the ext two teams. Needs to hit the weight room.
Dominique - Gonna be a good leader. Reminds me of Ravi and Junior Braddy
Floreal - Gonna posterize some unsuspecting early season opponent next year and be on SCtop10

I don't pay that close of attention to recruits until after the draft unless they're like John Wall-types of players. So I couldn't tell you one thing about the new guys. Hopefully Cal can swing his nuts around a few more times and pick a couple of the really big guys up.
Pretty much concur with this take. However, here is what I believe the reality to be...

Gone: KAT, WCS, Harisi, Lyles

That leaves us with: Ulis, Booker, Johnson, Lee, Poythress, Willis, Hawkins & Floreal

Which means five incoming frosh. Like funky, I have no idea about the prospects out there in recruiting land. But I do know we desperately need a scorer at the 5 spot and a scorer at the 4 spot.

In my mind, Johnson regressed this season and i don't see him as a legit scoring threat next season...or any other season for that matter. He is big but he can't jump and his footwork is beyond slow. Clumsy is a better word to describe his footwork...on both ends. Cal tried hard to make him into a threat this year...it didn't happen. Not sure it ever will. He is a career reserve big man in my mind.

I love Lee and thought he should have gotten more playing time this season. Seems like one mistake and Cal pulled him out. He didn't do that with any other player on the team. Now don't get me wrong...Lee is not a scoring threat either. But he works hard, finishes at the rim, runs the floor on both ends, rebounds and he has a good report with Ulis. When given a chance to play he has been given very productive minutes. Call me crazy but I think Lee will be a huge impact player next season. But we still need a legit scoring threat in the paint. I trust Cal is working hard to ensure just that.

I also think Willis will be a contributor next season. Some rumors about him transfering but I don't get why he would do that. He had to know coming in that he would struggle to find playing time early. His Junior and senior years should provide some legit PT. He played well in the Bahamas and he played well when he got PT during the reg season. He shoots good, passes good and runs the floor well. He is suspect on D...but has improved there and can guard 3 positions fairly decent.

I like Hawkins, but i would rather Cal bring in another PG.

More in a minute...

I also concur with mav's take on Cal ishing the bed with about 5 minutes to go and up 4. That is the time during the game that your depth really comes into play. We were on a roll, Wisconsin looked tired (even with fortyelevendozen TV timeouts) and we had em on the ropes...and then we let them off the hook by dicking around and slowing the game down. Cal can coach-speak that however he wants...but we should have gone balls to the wall and ran them into the ground.

More in a minute...

Wasnt directed at you Mav, it was directed at people outside the fanbase. Screw Cal, but he is ours. Arguably the best coach in cbb in last 5 years.
Oh I know brother, I just thought it was funny that our posts crossed paths in the ether
3dgrin.r191677.gif

And you're right, I wouldn't trade Cal for any other coach -- he's the perfect fit for UK and nobody could have done a better job saving us from the BCG dumpster fire.

Buuuuuuuuuuuut..................dammit, WTF???? The management of those last five minutes was laughably bad
laugh.r191677.gif
. I mean it was like -- to use an upcoming Master's analogy -- my main man Mick Manboobson having a two stroke lead, going driver-driver on 17 & 18, and gripping and ripping duck hooks into the woods both times. Where was his touching head?

phil%20mickelson%20boobs3_zpsu12qkgsl.jpg

"Do these slacks make me look hippy?"[/I]

Next i would like to examine some philosophical differences I have with Cal. Here is where I think Cal really messed this team up...

I said from the very beginning of the season that I hated the platoon system. I still do. It was perfect for the Bahamas because it was a really good way to evaluate everyone. But the biggest problem I had with it in the regular season is that it gives virtually no incentive for busting your azz. You are basically going to play the same amount of minutes regardless. Now, late in the season Cal mixed things up a bit and didn't go full blown platoon. But, one of the biggest problems on this team throughout the season was effort. We had enough depth to force guys to play hard every minute. If you don't play hard...then sit your azz next to headband boy on the bench. Do that from the word go...especially in the cupcake games and you set the tone for the whole season. The other problem I have with it is the flow of the game. especially for a hot player. A guy gets hot and hits a few shots...and now he sits on the bench because his 5 minutes are up. But mostly i hated it for the PT motivation.

Now, once Cal decided on the platoon system i think he should have pressed full court all game long and look to run on every possession on offense. Even on made buckets...run the ball up the court and look for an easy bucket. And make or miss not only run the ball down the court looking for a fast break...but also have an "early offense" or what some call a "secondary break". If you don't have the fast break basket...then run a couple of quick screens or reverse the ball quickly and do the same on the opposite side of the court. Don't have an easy shot at that point THEN you back it out and set up the offense. Use the platoon to your advantage. In my opinion the only reason Cal used the platoon system was to appease PT. Which is a cop out.

I also think we should have implemented a match-up zone in the half court. We switched everything on picks anyway (which i hate...more on that later) so why not protect our bigs some by playing some match-up zone? And trap out of it every now and again.

This leads me to our offense. I still don't know what we run. There is a whole lot of dribbling around the perimeter...a few "on-the-ball" screens (that aren't run crisply by either player and usually lead to nothing but more dribbling)...and then there is a freaking TON of standing around. If nothing else just run a simple motion offense...3 out and 2 in...with constant moving, screening, ball reversal, etc...It's so easy to teach and pretty easy to execute and it puts the pressure on the Defense to guard every position for the entire possession.

I also hate "switching everything" on defense. I don't care if WCS has the athletic ability to guard a PG. I still don't want that big tree out there guarding some shrimp 30 feet from the basket. Big men guarding PG's leads to unnecessary fouls and leaves a shot-blocker/rebounder 30 feet from the basket. And it leaves a guard...even if he is 6'6" he is still a freaking guard...guarding a big in the paint. It is horrible for rebounding as well. Teach these kids how to get over picks...teach the bigs how to effectively hedge the pick...teach them how to determine which players they can go behind the pick on. You want to get these guys ready for the NBA...well guess what...THEY DON'T SWITCH EVERYTHING ON PICK AND ROLLS IN THE NBA!!! Ever see Chris Paul switch on a pick and roll and wind up guarding Tim Duncan? Of course you haven't.

Finally...there is no excuse for the way this team got out rebounded this year. None. Not just the Wisconsin game either. There were many games against inferior opponents that we got out rebounded. And much smaller teams out rebounded us. We gave up waaaaay too many offensive rebounds this year. With our size and athletic ability...no way that should have happened. it goes back to the "motivation factor". Us getting outrebounded was nothing but being out hustled. Again, correct that ish early in the season by sitting guys next to headband boy on the bench if they give up an offensive board. But noooooo...we had to have our shiny little platoon system.

I am glad we have Cal. I still remember the Billy G days and to a lesser extent the Tubby days. So I'm all in with Cal and his recruiting. I just wish he wouldn't be so hard headed on some very key issues and wish that he would implement, to use his own word, "tweaks" to his overall philosophy.

Believe it or not...I am done. Carry on, jackals.

My wife is starting to get some information from the HR dept. where she worked.

First, she found out that they will only release her work dates to any potential employer. Not her reason for being fired or even that she was fired.

Second, she is not barred from applying to other jobs within the hospital. In fact, there is a Pediatric Nurse Practioner job open working for an MD that she knows. It would be doing palliative care for kids. If she can get hired to it within the month, then all of her seniority, sick leave and other stuff gets re-instated. I hope I'm not getting my hopes up too much, but we both feel it is worth a shot.

Third, last week I tried to find out who her union rep is. Got a call back today. They are finally looking into things. The guy told me that they are dealing with several of these and made it sound like they had not been notified in a timely manner. I have no idea if that changes anything, but it at least feels good to think that there may be someone on our side.

Fourth, since I work for the same employer, our benefits were combined. I have spent most of the day talking to the benefits people to understand exactly how/when certain things end and others begin. It is a real cluster.

Fith, I had never really looked at her CV. I'm not usually one to brag, but:

Outstanding Sophomore Investigator, National Neuroendocrine Tumor Foundation (September 2007)

Outstanding New Investigator, National Neuroendocrine Tumor Foundation (September 2006)

Outstanding Performance as a Clinical Preceptor (August 2004)

Outstanding Performance as a Clinical Preceptor (August 2003)

Those are just a few of her awards.

Edit: And last nights dream involved me on the recieving end of a Cleveland steamer from some woman. WTF. Was not what I wanted.

This post was edited on 4/6 5:17 PM by UKGrad93

Lot's to be proud of 93..With that kinda resume things will work out just fine just hang in there...

Still stewing over game. Forget the bogus foul calls, what gets me is the freebie 4 points they got..2 on the out of bounds thing and 2 for the shot clock violation. We were up 4 with about 5 or so minutes to go, take away those 4 freebies that makes us up 8 with the ball. Granted we didn't do squat the next 5 possessions. The game playing out the same way still gives us a 1 point win! Cal begged for them to look at the replay but to no avail. As for some claiming he slowed the ball down, they asked him that at the news thing and he said he did not call for them to slow it down..

I think we loose Towns and Lyles for sure, and would not be surprised to see the rest return. I know coach said "maybe" 5 were leaving but it's just a gut feeling..

1476183_635179513171808_2109153197_n.jpg

This is believe it or not, a serious question. I thought about posting a thread, but I know how that would go. We have one of those soft toilet seats, white colored, and it has turned blue. All google searches say women can do this with pregnancy or hormone changes. Have any of you old married dudes ever seen this? According to my limited carnal knowledge of the past month, I'm 99.999999999999% sure she's not knocked up.

What the hell is wrong with females? (Sorry, Blu) this is possibly the strangest thing I've ever read on the Internet, other than 93's steamer dream. (Cleveland Dreamer?)

This is believe it or not, a serious question. I thought about posting a thread, but I know how that would go. We have one of those soft toilet seats, white colored, and it has turned blue. All google searches say women can do this with pregnancy or hormone changes. Have any of you old married dudes ever seen this? According to my limited carnal knowledge of the past month, I'm 99.999999999999% sure she's not knocked up.

What the hell is wrong with females? (Sorry, Blu) this is possibly the strangest thing I've ever read on the Internet, other than 93's steamer dream. (Cleveland Dreamer?)
I am anxiously awaiting replies cause I've honestly never heard of this phenomenon before.

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

I'm familiar with the "mask of pregnancy" but not the "ass of pregnancy."

Odd you brought that up. My sister in laws soft seat did the exact same thing and r u sittin down? She had twins! Something to do with a females ass sweat estrogen having a reaction to the seat cover...Jus sayin...You gawkin at that news hottie with 10 pt rack prolly caused ya to "dribble" a bit and you know how those things can swim..

This post was edited on 4/6 5:56 PM by 55wildcat

This post was edited on 4/6 5:59 PM by 55wildcat

Throw a little spermatoza on a plastic sandwich bag and watch it turn color..You would be surprised.

Originally posted by Desperado_1955:
I guess the loss of tittay updates by Mav will haunt me forever. What's the last one of the grieving process....acceptance?
Brother here's one final tittay update for ya...

kate%20upton%20uk%20pasties2_zpsryhixcyq.jpg

T'was a helluva ride but, alas, in the immortal words of Tom Cruise in Cocktail, "everything ends badly, otherwise it wouldn't end"

After intense analysis, much pondering and careful consideration I have come to the conclusion that the loss to Wisconsin falls squarely on the shoulders of the entire D-league photoshop team...which pretty much consists of mav & funky. If they had implemented my plan for a real-time Tittay Changer Countdown Clock then i have no doubt UK would have won the game...and tittays would still be a changin'.

Thanks mav & funky...thanks a lot.

Originally posted by Kaizer Sosay:
After intense analysis, much pondering and careful consideration I have come to the conclusion that the loss to Wisconsin falls squarely on the shoulders of the entire D-league photoshop team...which pretty much consists of mav & funky. If they had implemented my plan for a real-time Tittay Changer Countdown Clock then i have no doubt UK would have won the game...and tittays would still be a changin'.

Thanks mav & funky...thanks a lot.
I blame myself. Much like WCS admitting that he could have played harder, I too could have done more.

I feel shame.

Originally posted by Kaizer Sosay:
Next i would like to examine some philosophical differences I have with Cal. Here is where I think Cal really messed this team up...

I said from the very beginning of the season that I hated the platoon system. I still do. It was perfect for the Bahamas because it was a really good way to evaluate everyone. But the biggest problem I had with it in the regular season is that it gives virtually no incentive for busting your azz. You are basically going to play the same amount of minutes regardless. Now, late in the season Cal mixed things up a bit and didn't go full blown platoon. But, one of the biggest problems on this team throughout the season was effort. We had enough depth to force guys to play hard every minute. If you don't play hard...then sit your azz next to headband boy on the bench. Do that from the word go...especially in the cupcake games and you set the tone for the whole season. The other problem I have with it is the flow of the game. especially for a hot player. A guy gets hot and hits a few shots...and now he sits on the bench because his 5 minutes are up. But mostly i hated it for the PT motivation.

Now, once Cal decided on the platoon system i think he should have pressed full court all game long and look to run on every possession on offense. Even on made buckets...run the ball up the court and look for an easy bucket. And make or miss not only run the ball down the court looking for a fast break...but also have an "early offense" or what some call a "secondary break". If you don't have the fast break basket...then run a couple of quick screens or reverse the ball quickly and do the same on the opposite side of the court. Don't have an easy shot at that point THEN you back it out and set up the offense. Use the platoon to your advantage. In my opinion the only reason Cal used the platoon system was to appease PT. Which is a cop out.

I also think we should have implemented a match-up zone in the half court. We switched everything on picks anyway (which i hate...more on that later) so why not protect our bigs some by playing some match-up zone? And trap out of it every now and again.

This leads me to our offense. I still don't know what we run. There is a whole lot of dribbling around the perimeter...a few "on-the-ball" screens (that aren't run crisply by either player and usually lead to nothing but more dribbling)...and then there is a freaking TON of standing around. If nothing else just run a simple motion offense...3 out and 2 in...with constant moving, screening, ball reversal, etc...It's so easy to teach and pretty easy to execute and it puts the pressure on the Defense to guard every position for the entire possession.

I also hate "switching everything" on defense. I don't care if WCS has the athletic ability to guard a PG. I still don't want that big tree out there guarding some shrimp 30 feet from the basket. Big men guarding PG's leads to unnecessary fouls and leaves a shot-blocker/rebounder 30 feet from the basket. And it leaves a guard...even if he is 6'6" he is still a freaking guard...guarding a big in the paint. It is horrible for rebounding as well. Teach these kids how to get over picks...teach the bigs how to effectively hedge the pick...teach them how to determine which players they can go behind the pick on. You want to get these guys ready for the NBA...well guess what...THEY DON'T SWITCH EVERYTHING ON PICK AND ROLLS IN THE NBA!!! Ever see Chris Paul switch on a pick and roll and wind up guarding Tim Duncan? Of course you haven't.

Finally...there is no excuse for the way this team got out rebounded this year. None. Not just the Wisconsin game either. There were many games against inferior opponents that we got out rebounded. And much smaller teams out rebounded us. We gave up waaaaay too many offensive rebounds this year. With our size and athletic ability...no way that should have happened. it goes back to the "motivation factor". Us getting outrebounded was nothing but being out hustled. Again, correct that ish early in the season by sitting guys next to headband boy on the bench if they give up an offensive board. But noooooo...we had to have our shiny little platoon system.

I am glad we have Cal. I still remember the Billy G days and to a lesser extent the Tubby days. So I'm all in with Cal and his recruiting. I just wish he wouldn't be so hard headed on some very key issues and wish that he would implement, to use his own word, "tweaks" to his overall philosophy.

Believe it or not...I am done. Carry on, jackals.
Spot on btw.

Oh, and
roll.r191677.gif
@ "headband boy"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT