ADVERTISEMENT

D-League: Got to keep up that Fast Paste Edition

funKYcat75

All-American
Apr 10, 2008
Free Mash
Welcome back Herod.

#BBN all over Florida this week.

Damn, I tan well. It's like the thing I do the best other than making cute offspring.

This has been an expensive ass week. Didn't want to drive all the way down here, but watching my little girl in awe at Shamu(s) was worth every minute/penny. I don't care if they muse cattle prods on those whales. It's an awesome show.

This post was edited on 4/5 7:14 PM by funKYcat75

Re: D-League: Time for Nine Edition

Originally posted by funKYcat75:
Welcome back Herod.

#BBN all over Florida this week.

Damn, I tan well. It's like the thing I do the best other than making cute offspring.

This has been an expensive ass week. Didn't want to drive all the way down here, but watching my little girl in awe at Shamu(s) was worth every minute/penny. I don't care if they muse cattle prods on those whales. It's an awesome show.
And here's one for you, funKY. Think of this when you walk her down the aisle at her wedding.

This is in your future. Trust me.

Lemme guess. Made ya get all sentimental whenever it played. My ex-BiL can't listen to that song to this day without tearing up!

So...here's one a LITTLE bit more appropriate, in yer honor!

FunKY Worm

If I were making a soundtrack of my own life...THIS would make the cut! Bootsy Collins with the Space Bass

Wind Me Up

Continuing on with the soundtrack of my life...this one is one of my favorite rock tracks (yes, black guys CAN rock out when they want to!) Sonic's Rendezvous Band.

City Slang (live version)

This is my favorite country song and also one of my sentimental favorites of any genre. Charlie Rich. I grew up in the Music City area so I was raised up on country, R&B, blues AND jazz. And gospel! I can't carry a tune in a bucket. But, goodness gracious, my Dad could. And he sang this one a lot.

Did You Happen to See The Most...

I can do an entire thread on jazz. So I won't do it here. But THIS is how I introduced all my nieces and nephews to jazz fusion. Earth, Wind, and Fire. I love the Ramsay Lewis original (also with EWF), but the live version is special to me!

Sun Goddess

OK. One more. Here's a gospel favorite of mine. Our church choir tears this up on 3rd Sunday...but I love this version because the choir here is integrated, plus the soloist is SERIOUS in her praise! The Gateway College Choir. Enjoy!

Praise Is What I Do

Last one for tonite. Lalah Hathaway. Neo-soul. Was going to put this one on my soundtrack of you Cats going 40-0 but don't want to wait! Another driving music track...

Let Go

Welcome back, herod.

Warning: The rest of this is very long...

Willy, we are in your back yard this week. Once again, we made the trek to WallyWorld. I was going to try to get together with you for a beer or two but we are only here for a few days and we are booked solid. Sorry man, but the Kaizerettes win out. Will have to try it some other time.

Things that still amaze me about WallyWorld:

- The number of adults that come to this place without kids and dress up in full-on Mickey Mouse gear. Baffles the mind. I get the fact that there are a lot of things for adults to do here...but dressing up in Mickey gear and treking through the parks??? I just don't get it. What am i missing here?

- The number of overweight people walking around the parks is astounding. You would think all of that walking would shed some pounds. But I guess if you are walking around while eating a chocolate Mickey Mouse ice cream cone and washing it down with a corn dog and a Coke...it all makes sense.

- The overall rudeness of people. This is supposed to be a happy place. A place for kids to be joyous. A place for parents and kids to bond and have a good time together. Yet people are constantly cutting line, shoving, etc..

Lemme give you just one example:

I was in line this morning at our resort to get some blueberry muffins for the family. I was behind two women who were waiting behind the people making their muffin/bagel/pastry selections. So if you are keeping score at home...I am 4th in line.

In walks a foreign couple that steamrolls to the front of the line. They are talking to each other loudly in what appears to be a mixture of Portuguese and Klingon and getting ready to grab some muffins. Anyway...I am tired, haven't had my coffee yet and am in full-on "not taking any ish mode". So I say, "Excuse me!" And I motion to the line and then to the end of the line which begins behind me. The couple gives me a rude look and they resume their Portuguese/Klingon conversation even louder and keep moving towards the muffins...at the front of the line.

So, being the international statesman that i am I walk forward and tap the man on the shoulder and i say even louder, "EXCUSE ME!" And then once i have their full attention I say in a softer, yet still firm tone, "You may not speak English...but I know you know what 'cutting line' means" And i once again motion to the fact that there is indeed a line...and that their place is behind me in that line. The couple looks at me rudely again. But then they proceed to their rightful place...BEHIND ME IN THE DAMN LINE.

The two ladies in front of me were thanking me left and right. Saying they were so glad that i spoke up and that they wouldn't have had the nerve to do so. And they both offered me their place in line. I declined their offer and said that I would wait in line just like everyone else should. As it should be. As it always has been. As it shall forever be. NO CUTTING LINE DAMNIT! Not in the grade school lunch line...not at the grocery store...not even at the freaking WallyWorld muffin line.

Unfreakingbelievable.

Warning: long post - it's 3 am and I can't sleep. Again. I don't want to whine, but I'm finding this forum to be an outlet for me to compose my thoughts. So I understand if you skip this.

Willy - in regards to my wife, I'm certain now that it is/ was stress. I said depression, but she didn't have the right symptoms. What I have seen is that she has taken on more and more until it finally broke her. She had certain days that she was scheduled to see patients, but she was taking patients on her off days(office/paperwork days). Also on those days she fielded a lot of phone calls. She had become the go to person in her division.

Add to that helping our daughter with homework and running a Girl Scout troop. - too much. I've noticed that I was doing more and more housework and we were constantly eating out. Mostly normal stuff.
Maybe around Christmas her boss added to her responsibilities to make sure the office was properly staffed or something like that. About a year ago the higher up leadership changed and I noticed that she seemed to complain about work more. It's hard for me to sort out. She was well liked by the doctors and nurses that she worked with and the patients and families. Several workplace awards etc...

No billing fraud, no threat of a malpractice suit. Nothing, but an inability to sustain the pace. She did not want to be the weak link and didn't ask for help. Some of this I could see, but she shielded me from a lot of it. My feeling is that her boss, a doctor, should have noticed some of this. I'm actually kinda pissed that he didn't.

So she was fired for not complying with the hospital policy regarding her clinical notes being on time. She had been warned last spring and was able to catch up, but then fell behind again this spring. She met with HR about it a few weeks ago and did everything they asked, then on Monday - fired.

We are both a wreck. Not sleeping and not eating. I want to do something. I have a strong sense of justice that people need to step up and do the right thing. Wife says she has no recourse. Maybe it's denial, but I think the right person could get this turned around. We had a year where both our fathers died and this has hit us worse. I'd do anything to get her back right again. I just keep telling her that everything is gonna be ok. We've gone thru the finances, it will be tight, but mostly doable on my salary alone. Well have to use some savings maybe, but we have enough. Just can't save at the high rate we were at.

I work for the same company that my wife did, but much different area. I talked to my boss and supervisor yesterday. They reassured me that my job is safe. I just had a good review. There is an employee counseling service. I have an appointment tomorrow. Maybe that will help me. Is like to get my wife in to see someone. I think between the job stuff and a few weeks ago she was minutes away from a really bad car accident - it's just too much.

About twice a month, she was sent to an off site clinic about 70 miles away. Her and another nurse would drive a company car. They were driving and came upon an accident scene. They were the first civilians. Oh the sherif there. He asked if they had any medical training. They were put into action. Semi vs SUV and another car. Life flight called in. My wife had to make the call on who went in the chopper. Had she left 1-2 min earlier, she may have been dead. She had to leave that scene and go see her patients.

I'm trying to follow the good advice that you have all given. Told her the d league is pulling for her.

Thanks for letting me dump here.

@KS - if history demonstrates one consistent and undeniable fact - people, all people are assholes.

glad you got your muffin.

KS- No worries bro. Family comes first. One of these days, we'll grab a beer and enjoy ourselves a tasty brew. You're dead on about grown adults w/o children dressing up in Mickey. Just last December a buddy came down from Lex (Austin met him) and we went to Disney (I know, two grown ass men in Disney) and we were in Space Mountain line and there was a bizarre guy in front of us. He was a grown ass man 40-ish in age, but this guy was wearing a Lilio and Stitch floppy eared hat. He also had a huge Stitch toy in his arms. He would talk to it and then pet it and then kiss it, all while standing in the line. I mean everyone was weirded out watching him. It was truly bizarre. whew... Dude prolly has 12 kids hacked up in his mom's basement. I'm sure of it.

93- I'll try to help and support as much as I can. You're right, we are rooting ya'll on....

I figured it stress. Now, which one. I usually look at the timing of the stress (how long has it been going on). There's Adjustment disorders, Acute stress disorder, there's PTSD. I will try to be as less invasive as I can about this (this is a message board and I don't know her past. So I am hypothesizing here), but it may give you some insight. If you're wondering why your wife may be trying to do all this on her own and not letting you in. Well, it could be the level of stress. Especially if she has had any trauma in her life, whether emotional or physical, people traumatized can develop stress which will lead to a need to "control". The reason they go that route is because they could never prevent the trauma from happening in the first place so they try to control everything else because the one thing they could not control is the trauma that initially happened. Now, I'm not sure if this is the case with your wife, but she seems like the type to try to do it all and I'm wondering why she feels the need to manage everything. I can see why she is worn down. Eventually fatigue sets in. Definitely get you and her to a counselor. May be good for the both of you.

Totally forgot that Willy lives down here. With him and KS in town we could have had a meeting of the DLeague board of directors without Mav as God intended it.

Headed home in the morning. A little run down of the adventures ...

1. Daughter has some sort of virus. Fever, cough, etc. Always fun on a 12 hour (more on that later) drive.
2. Wife wakes up Sunday with her lip about four sizes too big. Allergic reaction to something. Still don't know what it is. Better now.
3. No long contrucition waits on i75, but somehow left Lexington at 7:40 and didn't get to Jacksonville until 12: freaking 30. I have no idea why or how it took that long, but it was the most miserable drive of my life. Never ending.
4. Supposed to meet her family at a rental place near Daytona. Turns out it's an big shithole and we're lucky we stayed the night short of our destination.
5. Her family gets refunded and the company (AirBNB) finds a new place in Orlando, for some reason. Nice place though.
6. Hit up SeaWorld yesterday using some of their family passes and I'm sure that we're going to get arrested by Shamu for trying to use non-transferable passes. Made it through.
5A. Forgot this one, tried to go eat at Cheesecake Factory around 8:00 on Monday night ...... nah .... Let's try 10:30 ........ I felt like a Portuguese eating that late. (Maybe that's why they needed that muffin)
7. While we're at FishLand the family's ferrets are massacred at their house by a rogue dachshund with nothing to lose.
8. Got up this morning and I'm pretty sure the pool access door has been open all night. Waiting for the boys to get up before I start unravelling that mystery .....

I'm sure there is still somehow more to come.

Wow, 2 of you on National Lampoon's Vacation.

Were hitting that scene in July.

-Grad, counseling. Do it. You will get through it. Dont get mad at her, just love her.

-Willy, where in Florida? Orlando? We are doing clearwater this summer and then disney one night.

@ Mav - I would think that with you being an optomotrist, you'd be good at seeing the stuff hidden on that court
wink.r191677.gif

@ KS - Damn right about waiting your turn in line. No Cutters. Good for you for standing up. Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!

You are always within 30 steps of a trash can at Disney.

@Willy - Willy, the more I read your words, the more sense it makes. She has dealt with some events as a nurse that were out of her hands (watching kids die from cancer). She has always wanted to organize events. I never saw it as being related to trauma. I just assumed that some people are more leaders & some are followers. WIth the girl scout troop, she basically said that the women that did it the first year were terrible (she was right), so she took it over. I can see were the fatigue came from. I've been working like a mad man around the house as she lost energy and we started eating out a lot more.

I'm sad/mad/pissed off that she worked in healthcare, but nobody recognized that she was struggling. The response from her boss & HR is that maybe there would have been a change if she had come to them earlier for help. But now, SOL.

I think I'm experiencing some kind of survivors remorse. It hit me this morning when I left for work, but she was staying at home.

Originally posted by UKGrad93:

@ Mav - I would think that with you being an optomotrist, you'd be good at seeing the stuff hidden on that court
wink.r191677.gif

@ KS - Damn right about waiting your turn in line. No Cutters. Good for you for standing up. Get up, stand up: stand up for your rights!

You are always within 30 steps of a trash can at Disney.

@Willy - Willy, the more I read your words, the more sense it makes. She has dealt with some events as a nurse that were out of her hands (watching kids die from cancer). She has always wanted to organize events. I never saw it as being related to trauma. I just assumed that some people are more leaders & some are followers. WIth the girl scout troop, she basically said that the women that did it the first year were terrible (she was right), so she took it over. I can see were the fatigue came from. I've been working like a mad man around the house as she lost energy and we started eating out a lot more.

I'm sad/mad/pissed off that she worked in healthcare, but nobody recognized that she was struggling. The response from her boss & HR is that maybe there would have been a change if she had come to them earlier for help. But now, SOL.

I think I'm experiencing some kind of survivors remorse. It hit me this morning when I left for work, but she was staying at home.
Grad, Willy is money. On it. Listen to him. One day at a time. FCC.

93- will add a bit more later. At mandatory meeting today.

Funky- no prob man. We'll have another opp in time.

LEK- i live 2 miles from Disney. Maybe we meet up

FCC- Appreciate the kind words. Just wanna help!

Totally forgot that Willy lives down here. With him and KS in town we could have had a meeting of the DLeague board of directors without Mav as God intended it.

"POINT OF PARLIAMENTARY PROCEDURE!!!"

Funky is the new Kooky with the Ol Florida trip = shitty luck deal.

Sorry - at least we keep it in the D family.

9. Just spent two hours at a Steak and Shake attached to a gas station ....

Originally posted by -LEK-:
Willy, that's what I'm thinking, but we're staying on resort
No prob. I live close to all those resorts. All of them. I know it's a family thing, but if you get a free night when you're here, let me know bro.

Funky- That is one of the shittiest burgers I have ever seen.

93- Hope your day is better. Worried about you man.

At that point I was just so pleased to have any form of food in front of me, I just ate it. They were short handed or whatever. I did eat my weight in fries, doh.

At that point I was just so pleased to have any form of food in front of me, I just ate it. They were short handed or whatever. I did eat my weight in fries, doh.
Had trouble determining if that was dog shit or meat.

Those fries. You need 9 million of them to even fill you up. But they are gooooood

Hey Willy. Hope 93 checks in soon. I'm concerned about him and his wife too. Do they have children? How old are all, him and wife included? Been thinking about them all day. FCC.

Originally posted by Willy4UK:
Those fries. You need 9 million of them to even fill you up. But they are gooooood
laugh.r191677.gif
true, very true. But you're right -- fresh, hot and salted S&S fries, especially when they're slathered in cheese sauce, are touching great.

Hey guys. Thanks for all your support. Things have improved this afternoon. Not perfect, but improving. I talked to a counseler in the employee assistance program - that was really helpful. She thought the firing was very poorly handled and was somewhat puzzled by it. I also happened to run into an aquitance that is a psychaitrist here. He seemed to think that the whole thing was complete BS. Dude reminds me of Dr. House (sort of looks like him, walks with a cane, etc..).

The counselor reassured me that my wife has highly desirable skills, etc... Also mentioned that my wife should have been immediately directed to their services, which are available to her free for 90 days. She also said my wife could possibly get re-hired at the hospital.

As all of this was happening, my wife was honoring a commitment that she had made to speak at the college of nursing here. I was able to meet my wife when she finished. She was smilling, because they asked her for her CV and I'm pretty sure they will at least offer her a job instructing.

So FCC, since you asked, my wife and I are in our 40s, our daughter is 10. We are trying to keep her routine as closse to the same as it was. She has been able to sleep a little later though (which she likes).

I also mentioined the KY Wildcats to the counselor. Her response was, "you mean the ones that are going to win it all".

ADVERTISEMENT