ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Cal:We may never platoon again, but players will always come first

I'm sure opposing coaches used "Cal will platoon you!" to convince players to go elsewhere, but the bottom line is, platooning itself is not what scared recruits away. It's that so many kids came back and gave us a solid 10-player rotation, leaving nobody with more than 20-25 minutes or so.

"Platooning" was just the strategy he employed with such a talented roster. Does anyone think if he had done 2-3 person subs instead of 4-5 person subs and everybody's minutes stayed the same that recruits would have looked at it any differently? Any recruit that looks at our roster, sees Hawkins and Willis as the 8th and 9th guys on the depth chart and thinks Cal is going to platoon with them, isn't smart enough to go to college anyway.

I think 3rex is being sincere here so with that, I say this:

"Players First" is simply Calipari's marketing strategy. The goal for all coaches is the same- win games and keep their job. The selling point on how to do that ranges from "playing for the name on your jersey" to promises of "if you come here you'll be the guy". For Calipari, his players first marketing strategy tells kids in this day in age that my focus is on YOU. That comes across as selling out the name on the front of the jersey, but if you look at Cal's teams at UK they have been all about selfless, sacrificial, teammate focused basketball because it makes individual ball players better. It promotes the individual skill of each player to contribute to the benefit of the entire team. In the mean time he ensures that his players are achieving their academic priorities and becoming better citizens with charity work and embracing the erratic fan base worship. He takes the "players first" mantra and twists it to become about a bunch of individual young men improving themselves to become one cohesive unit. The marketing element appeals to the kids psyche but in turn it turns them into better people and basketball players. That's they way I see it.

Thanks. Appreciate the answer. If that is what it's all about, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, then I can certainly see why it appeals to recruits, especially the top guys.
One other question as you seem like you know your stuff.
Do you think that philosophy is far removed from the other successful coaches in the NCAA, or would it be considered radically different?
Thanks again for the civil reply. Much appreciated.

Players first, players first, players first, players first....it's been rammed it down our throats.

It's not aimed you, instead it's aimed at high school hotshots.

Players First is essentially a marketing slogan Cal came up with to brand his program for recruiting purposes. And, whether you like it or not, he's gonna KEEP saying it over and over because every year there's a new batch of potential recruits that he wants to hear it over and over....

several things. surprised you have to ask since they are so obvious:
  • not playing mind games with players, holding them back. lets them play through mistakes. lots of coaches, bench players...hold them back until they "know" their system -> Self
  • Cal changes the offense each year to highlight the talent he has. its not about Cal's system and forcing players to adapt. Cal adapts to the players. -> Pitino
  • Cal makes players in games work on what they need to work on. Cal could have let Davis, Towns play on the perimeter where they are better, but having them work on an area where they need work, makes them better, more prepared for the next level. They could dominate being used in other ways.
  • Cal gets them information and then supports whatever decision they make. Whether its a good one or not...he stands behind them. You don't see Cal coming out in the middle of the year throw his players under the bus for having a bad game. -> Boehiem
Cal does right by the players first. I recommend to find a way to accept and deal with it or just not be a fan of UK for the considerable future. It doesn't appear that you are all that support of the program/university anyways.

this, on the other hand, is just made up and is not entirely truth, in my opinion.

Cal is an excellent coach and does a fabulous job, but if you truly believe that "it's not about Cal's system and forcing players to adapt," then you don't pay attention. We do not pressure full court, no exceptions, Cal doesn't believe in it. We don't play zone, no exceptions, Cal doesn't believe in it. That's fine & Cal's success is well documented, but no way you're gonna try to tell me that Cal doesn't have the players run HIS system.
As for your next point, if he indeed intentionally puts players in places on the floor where they are not their best, then that would be a problem. Then again, if you truly think that Davis would have been better playing on the perimeter, as you state, then I can't help you.

I remember Cal saying early on here something to the tune of...if we help them reach their dreams they'll help us reach ours. I have no problem with the player's first slogan. Anyone with a shred of common sense can figure it out whats going on here and personally, I'm okay with it. I like Final Fours.

I remember Cal saying early on here something to the tune of...if we help them reach their dreams they'll help us reach ours. I have no problem with the player's first slogan. Anyone with a shred of common sense can figure it out whats going on here and personally, I'm okay with it. I like Final Fours.

Agreed.

That other person isn't though. He liked the (And I mean no disrespect to these players) Bobby Perrys, Sheray Thomas, Woo, etc, type players that gritted it out for UK for 4 years and such. They are Kentucky basketball. They didn't ever go to a Final Four, but they are better than those one and two and done types Cal has brought into our program.

The problem is, even that "other poster's" hero Ricky P won his natty title at UK with two 2 and dones on the roster in Walker and Mercer...both of who would be 1 and dones in the present era. Better players win more games at UK, and that seems like that is what is best for the front of the jersey, that we get the best players on the back of the jersey to have a chance at winning it all or at least being in the Final Four convo most years. That other poster will attack Cal's coaching and ability a lot this coming season, as I expect UK to struggle some due to losing so much. It will be humorous to watch that guy bitch about not winning almost every game because we do not have as many talented players on paper as we do some years.

this, on the other hand, is just made up and is not entirely truth, in my opinion.

Cal is an excellent coach and does a fabulous job, but if you truly believe that "it's not about Cal's system and forcing players to adapt," then you don't pay attention. We do not pressure full court, no exceptions, Cal doesn't believe in it. We don't play zone, no exceptions, Cal doesn't believe in it. That's fine & Cal's success is well documented, but no way you're gonna try to tell me that Cal doesn't have the players run HIS system.
As for your next point, if he indeed intentionally puts players in places on the floor where they are not their best, then that would be a problem. Then again, if you truly think that Davis would have been better playing on the perimeter, as you state, then I can't help you.

you are so lost its unreal. sure there are things cal wont do...like play zone. because its stupid in todays game. but how they play pick and roll, etc is game by game adjustments they make. on offense...it has changed EVERY year. its not about just running a high low no matter what like some coaches do.

you should watch anything davis play sometime. he is pretty good. all facing up, playing away from the basket. his job is to get the players better....you dont get better by going to your bread and butter every day. got to expand your game. Cal talked a ton about it this past year. did you pay attention?

Agreed.

That other person isn't though. He liked the (And I mean no disrespect to these players) Bobby Perrys, Sheray Thomas, Woo, etc, type players that gritted it out for UK for 4 years and such. They are Kentucky basketball. They didn't ever go to a Final Four, but they are better than those one and two and done types Cal has brought into our program.

The problem is, even that "other poster's" hero Ricky P won his natty title at UK with two 2 and dones on the roster in Walker and Mercer...both of who would be 1 and dones in the present era. Better players win more games at UK, and that seems like that is what is best for the front of the jersey, that we get the best players on the back of the jersey to have a chance at winning it all or at least being in the Final Four convo most years. That other poster will attack Cal's coaching and ability a lot this coming season, as I expect UK to struggle some due to losing so much. It will be humorous to watch that guy bitch about not winning almost every game because we do not have as many talented players on paper as we do some years.

as I said in my response to you above...you seem to talk about RP an awful lot, even in threads that have nothing whatsoever to do with him.
Me, I never do.

Your 1st paragraph is 100% hogwash.

My gosh we get it!!

3rex knows better than Cal, 3rex knows better than Cal,3rex knows better than Cal.......it's rammed down our throats

You are all about bitching and moaning. That's fine. And you do an excellent job.

But I'm for winning games and competing for National Titles.

Well done, sir. I only have one suggestion; you left off something like the following:

"(I did read the article and your post before commenting)"

Again, just a suggestion for the future. Carry on. :)

It's the players team first. I'm sorry but if they do not have that ownership then you can forget about final fours. Cal knows how to coach and he is great at reflecting on what works and what doesn't. Get off his ass

To be honest, I think what the 'players first' approach does (which therefore is different than most of the philosophies of the majority of college coaches) is send the clear message that I want you to be and I can help you become the best professional basketball player you can be to help YOU fulfill your dreams. Few coaches, if any others, would ever be so proud or vocal of such a goal. Cal embraces it, knows what it takes to get to the next level, is honest about it with these kids, and realizes their success breeds more success for him and whatever school he chooses to coach for. The missing factor of the surface marketing ploy is the reality that Cal transforms these ego driven kids' mindset to truly get them ready to be a professional not only in basketball, but in other walks of life. That's why the stress on academic success and community involvement is so critical but rarely discussed outside of the "BBN'. Others see a self serving coach catering to self serving players. I think Cal is at peace with the product he has created and the misunderstood marketing plan that he uses to drive the machine.

Reactions: 3rex
you are so lost its unreal. sure there are things cal wont do...like play zone. because its stupid in todays game. but how they play pick and roll, etc is game by game adjustments they make. on offense...it has changed EVERY year. its not about just running a high low no matter what like some coaches do.

you should watch anything davis play sometime. he is pretty good. all facing up, playing away from the basket. his job is to get the players better....you dont get better by going to your bread and butter every day. got to expand your game. Cal talked a ton about it this past year. did you pay attention?

You're trying to tell me that Anthony Davis would've been better on the perimeter...and

Playing a zone is "stupid."

and I'm the one who's "so lost its unreal."

oookay..

I think a lot of the posters here are too critical and judgemental on other posters who's opinions and beliefs are different.

Not at all in this case, that poster deserves more than he has received. He hates UK's coach and loves Rick Pitino and loves it when UK loses so he can trash Calipari. You are tellling me that guy deserves respect? That is a troll my friend, plain and simple.

Not at all in this case, that poster deserves more than he has received. He hates UK's coach and loves Rick Pitino and loves it when UK loses so he can trash Calipari. You are tellling me that guy deserves respect? That is a troll my friend, plain and simple.

and he continues to prove my point made twice above...

he has RP on the brain

This article tells me that the platooning hurt us in recuirting this spring. I still think it was the right thing to do with the team we had.

We had little choice...but many posters can't hold more than one concept in their heads.

Given the unexpected returning players

Option A: Platoon
Option B: 2-3 of our 5 star McD players ride the pine.

Either way...Cal is going to get abused by the other recruiters. IMHO....he threaded the needle. Getting 7 in the NBA while platooning was probably the best outcome.

What he couldn't do is switch his pitch of preparing players (and allowing them to decide) just to selfishly enhance the 15-16 team by talking a couple into staying. Short term fix but long term damage.

Recruiting is like a 20 player chess game where everyone moves their piece at the same time...much more complex than our fans make it sound.

Reactions: catfaninsc
my gosh, we get it!!!

Players first, players first, players first, players first....it's been rammed it down our throats.

You are for the name on the back of the jersey. That's fine. And you do an excellent job.

But I'm for the name on the front.

(didn't read the article)

But obviously some of the recruits don't get it. Cal's reminding everybody. He's recruiting. He's always recruiting. When are people going to get this after 6 years.

As far as the platooning goes, my thought is that 2 things can be true at the same time.

One, that it was the right move to make for this past season, and that Cal was right in doing so.

The other being that it could hurt in recruiting, at least for one season.

I wouldn't expect it to hurt at all beyond this year because the word will not be thrown around every time we play.

While I'll admit that Cal has his tendencies, Cal does pressure full court from time to time and the offense has changed almost yearly according to our personnel, so I'm not sure which team you've been watching.

Ever heard Cal say, "I'm still trying to figure out my team and how were going to play" ??? What do you think he means by that statement?

Any "pressure" I've seen full court has been, for the most part, token type pressure. No pressure m2m or zone trapping pressure. Look, I'm not saying he has to. He certainly knows what he's doing. I was just saying that the notion that he changes depending on the personnel, is not really true in my opinion. He brings them in & teaches them HIS style. Because it works.
And I've watched most all of the games. There's not a marked difference in what we do offensively as a whole. He may tweak some things, like deciding to feed the ball to KAT every time down the floor if he sees something working. But the overall offensive philosophy is the same.

poor 3rex. a real pathetic showing.
Why can't you guys comment on the topic without insulting those who have a different opinion than you?
I agree with 3Rex, I'm tired of the "players first" theme. What about "UK first", they're the ones paying his multi-million dollar salary? And yes, I get it. He makes those comments so future recruits will want to play for him. So go ahead, and call me "pathetic" also.

I think a lot of the posters here are too critical and judgemental on other posters who's opinions and beliefs are different.

That depends on each individual poster, but generally I think differences of opinion are tolerated - it's a message board, after all, that's all it is is arguing different viewpoints. What you are seeing in this thread is something different than mere intolerance of opposing views. When someone always is contrarian, always complains about the coach, always voices disapproval with how the program is run, seems to disappear when things are going well, reappears when we lose or there's opportunity to rub salt - when, in summary, a poster says things consistently you'd expect from a fan of a rival program, well, yeah, people notice that and don't tolerate it well. Which seems totally normal and predictable to me. Just culling the herd......

Reactions: UKWildcats#8
There was an article on Yahoo that drew a number of conclusions based on the info from Cal's blog. The article can be found here: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab...ing-hurt-kentucky-s-recruiting-163937974.html. The author is Jeff Eisenburg so be warned if you don't want to click it. Bottom line is Cal was essentially saying he may not platoon again as he doesn't anticipate the same circumstances materializing again. The author draws a few negative "should'a, would'a" type conclusions.

Really all I have to say is that coach said what he said. So many players that are able to produce is unprecedented. It was a great problem to have and may have had a few repercussions that he and nobody else could have foreseen. They are dragging this out in the open so as to minimize the impact on future classes. I still think that the burden does not reside totally with the coaching staff in that the recruit and their responsible parties do have some responsibility to fully vet everything a coach is saying. Certainly, they are going to paint the picture as much in their favor as they can and facts may be of secondary concern. Lessons learned all round.

I do want to mention commentary made by Matt Jones on the same subject. I dismissed these on another thread. His comments had more legs than I realized based on comments from coach himself. I was wrong and Matt was closer to the mark than I gave him credit for.

Why can't you guys comment on the topic without insulting those who have a different opinion than you?
I agree with 3Rex, I'm tired of the "players first" theme. What about "UK first", they're the ones paying his multi-million dollar salary? And yes, I get it. He makes those comments so future recruits will want to play for him. So go ahead, and call me "pathetic" also.

How is Cal not UK first? He has had the most success at UK since Adolph Rupp. Explain yourself. So what if he cares about his players more than terrible fans that only care about winning games and care nothing about the players' lives or education (only some of us, not all of us).

The guy has given people like 3rex and you 4 Final Fours in 5 years and a national title for you to brag about...that you did nothing to help win. If winning a bunch and having UK relevant and the college basketball program year in and year out is not putting the university first then idk what is.

Did Coach G and Tubby go UK 1st? How did that work out? Did Pitino? LOL if you think he did.

Last edited:
My guess is that "Platooning" did not hurt our recruiting this Spring, especially after 7 left for the NBA. If anything hurt our recruiting imo, it was a combination of UK fatigue followed by our failure to win #9. During the season, even nationally, all other teams were just a footnote to OUR season.
Everyone knew we had the best team, but we came up just short. The educated fan understands that it happens. However, the regular season success and the justified hype accompanied with it produced a little push back. Maybe not obvious, and maybe not even conscious, but there is a natural tendency to root for the underdog. There is also a natural tendency to pile on when a heavy favorite falls. Recruits are not immune to these natural tendencies.

i think you're out of your depth here. the best thing would probably be get lost. because everything that's being discussed has been the coach's plan from day one. and cal ain't leaving. so go ahead and side with a whole lotta dumb on this. i.e. guy highjacks thread on first response and take season recap to flame about cal running the program wrong. get your ish out of here. you are also quite very pathetic if you think think this jackassery can help the best recruiter ever. you guys are the ones complaining. or i should say flaming.

you may be a nice person and not know what you're talking about. in which case, don't single me out again. i'm well aware of the subject matter.

i think you're out of your depth here. the best thing would probably be get lost. because everything that's being discussed has been the coach's plan from day one. and cal ain't leaving. so go ahead and side with a whole lotta dumb on this. i.e. guy highjacks thread on first response and take season recap to flame about cal running the program wrong. get your ish out of here. you are also quite very pathetic if you think think this jackassery can help the best recruiter ever. you guys are the ones complaining. or i should say flaming.

you may be a nice person and not know what you're talking about. in which case, don't single me out again. i'm well aware of the subject matter.

pretty sure you don't know the definition of highjacking a thread. The OP referred to "players first." I commented with my thoughts on "players first."
Your not liking my response does not equal highjacking.

Just another quick question.

How does "Player First" not also imply "Team first" or vice versa? I think we have folks putting WAY too much stock in coach speak. Using the name on the back and name on the front analogy, they are both attached to the same jersey. If every single one of our players raises the level of their game, the team benefits. Plus, I've never seen coach do anything to favor a player over the team. I've never seen a player being the best version of themselves hurt the team. This whole discussion just seems to be gibberish on both sides.

I will say this. If our players and coaches had been the absolute best version of themselves against Wisconsin we'd be hoisting a different banner. How is that NOT team first?

Just another quick question.

How does "Player First" not also imply "Team first" or vice versa? I think we have folks putting WAY too much stock in coach speak. Using the name on the back and name on the front analogy, they are both attached to the same jersey. If every single one of our players raises the level of their game, the team benefits. Plus, I've never seen coach do anything to favor a player over the team. I've never seen a player being the best version of themselves hurt the team. This whole discussion just seems to be gibberish on both sides.

I will say this. If our players and coaches had been the absolute best version of themselves against Wisconsin we'd be hoisting a different banner. How is that NOT team first?

ok, i'll take a crack at this. :)

Actually, I agree with much of what you say, but let me thrown out one example, knowing i'll get killed. But I would like your take on it.

There was a perception by some, rightly or wrongly, that Coach Cal at times seemed to bend over backward to pump up Andrew, whether in post game press conferences, or other opportunities. Which is certainly understandable. After all, he is trying to get the best out of his guy. But it might be said that Andrew may have become too much of Cal's guy, and it clouded his thinking at times and led to Andrew being on the floor, and/or given the ball in situations, where Ulis may have been a more viable option.
Now, would that be an example, if bought into, that Cal's desire to do right by the player, increase his draft stock, etc., conflicted with his obligation to the team.

Honestly not meant as a flame in any way. Just would like to hear what you think.

ok, i'll take a crack at this. :)

Actually, I agree with much of what you say, but let me thrown out one example, knowing i'll get killed. But I would like your take on it.

There was a perception by some, rightly or wrongly, that Coach Cal at times seemed to bend over backward to pump up Andrew, whether in post game press conferences, or other opportunities. Which is certainly understandable. After all, he is trying to get the best out of his guy. But it might be said that Andrew may have become too much of Cal's guy, and it clouded his thinking at times and led to Andrew being on the floor, and/or given the ball in situations, where Ulis may have been a more viable option.
Now, would that be an example, if bought into, that Cal's desire to do right by the player, increase his draft stock, etc., conflicted with his obligation to the team.

Honestly not meant as a flame in any way. Just would like to hear what you think.

Not taken as a flame. Good honest question. I have two thoughts to offer.

First, consider the twins and look at last year ('14) at their abrupt and significant turnaround, particularly Aaron. According to rumor, those guys talked to dad and supposedly were told don't worry about the NBA. Just play your best ball was the supposed message. What a huge change in both of them. Coaches have many ways of handling their players, but I suspect that gesture on the part of their dad didn't go unnoticed by Calipari. Talk them up, take off a little pressure, they do better. Pure speculation on my part, but I've seen kids react to small things in big ways.

Second, the twins and Ulis are COMPLETELY different ball players. Ulis is an extremely skilled very finesse oriented guard, whom I absolutely love to watch, by the way. While tough as nails, he doesn't play his best ball when he's being beaten up physically and he's proven that several times. Conversely, the twins are tanks and frankly down right intimidating. In that way, they're a little like MKG in that the worst thing you can do is piss them off. Depending on how Cal perceived the situation, he may have thought brawn was indicated. Maybe he wanted to retain a measure more experience. Maybe he just forgot in the heat of the moment. Who knows and he surely makes many millions and has much more time in that seat than I (currently 0 summarizes both my salary and experience as a D1 head basketball coach). The least likely explanation is that he was worried about Aaron's draft stock. The best thing for Aaron (and the rest of the team) would have been to make that final and beat the living hell out of Duke. While hindsight may or may not have supported a substitution, I will never believe Cal allowed the game and history to slip away for the draft status of one player. I do not believe that the very thought of such would have crossed his mind then or ever.

I'll be honest, I don't think that Cal has the market cornered on stressing individual performance to strengthen team performance. Remember the Army jingle? Be the best you can be, join the Army (you the individual, join the team)? If you've ever had the honor to work with a Navy Seal, you see this all over them. I've worked with two. In both cases, it was "I can handle this for us." or "I'm really good at <whatever>, let me do that" They were supremely trained and skilled and as such were nearly the perfect team player. These guys are such team players, some even interpret it as arrogance. I can tell you though, they are hammers. Its not exactly the same for sure and the stakes are far lower than our military, but I see the same pattern in Cal as a leader pushing his players to be their best so that the team can be its best.

Anyway, if you care to read through it, that's my take.

Unless Kentucky is going to a 3-on-3 Hoop-It-Up Tournament, Cal doesn't have the depth this year to platoon. Your last year team had two-years of OAD's with depth and talent that won't be seen for many years, if ever.

pretty sure you don't know the definition of highjacking a thread. The OP referred to "players first." I commented with my thoughts on "players first."
Your not liking my response does not equal highjacking.

you highjacked cal's season recap and you know it.. you got mega slammed and now tiptoed into a safe corner. you're questions are dumb and was just flaming and you know it. got you guys analyzing what "player's first" even means. lol. i'd be laughing too if i was cal. it's a recruiting statement. been going on for year's now. get a clue.

if you aren't aware of cal releasing any pressure on players at uk, you're lying.

if you're not aware of cal wanting to maximize their draft potential by developing skills that are lacking, you're lying.

if you're not aware of cal wanting every aspect of these player's lives made easy, you're lying.

these are the types of things one can draw from the "player's first" comment. it's common sense, you know that. you flamed out and now just won't admit it. pretty simple.

Last edited:
Again, what was the alternative? Not play star guys at all or 5 min a game? Wow, that would have helped our pitch a lot!!

He did the best with the circumstance of key guys coming back, he thought the Harrisons and WCS would leave. The only reason a lot of you are p*ssing and moaning about it is because we didn't win it all...take the title last year and this year is a throw-away and no one gives a sh*t about recruits we didn't get.

But we didn't win the title. So, this is what you have. Winning a title eases a lot of tensions and fulfills a void in hardcore fans such as are on this board. When a team does not win the championship, especially when they were favored to do so, only maximizes that tension and void. Compound that with the fact that we were such huge favorites, such historically huge favorites, and you get fans who are clamoring to reach what was lost.....a championship. That's just the way sports are and the ways its always going to be here. And I wouldn't want it any other way cause it means that expectations are there and that we are consistently competing for titles and that's what we all want.

See, 3rex, I told you that everybody thinks you're flat out stupid.
Look, this is how it is. If you want the best of the best to come to UK, Calipari is going to have to make "players first" abundantly clear. You can't tell kids with dreams and aspirations that they're a stepping stone to achieve your dreams and aspirations, so Calipari restructured the program to work in this manner, and everybody's benefited from it. Fans happy, because UK is on a historical run, players happy because they achieve their dreams, Cal's happy because he keeps a dream job, makes tons of money, builds onto his legacy, and gets the chance to help a ton of families.
That is an awful lot of benefits at the expense of constantly selling the "players first" product.
If you don't like what he's saying, cool, don't read what he says. Don't continuously argue with everybody else over it. If you're a fan, you're satisfied with the product that Calipari produces, so stop complaining, because it's an incredibly small price to pay.

Not taken as a flame. Good honest question. I have two thoughts to offer.

First, consider the twins and look at last year ('14) at their abrupt and significant turnaround, particularly Aaron. According to rumor, those guys talked to dad and supposedly were told don't worry about the NBA. Just play your best ball was the supposed message. What a huge change in both of them. Coaches have many ways of handling their players, but I suspect that gesture on the part of their dad didn't go unnoticed by Calipari. Talk them up, take off a little pressure, they do better. Pure speculation on my part, but I've seen kids react to small things in big ways.

Second, the twins and Ulis are COMPLETELY different ball players. Ulis is an extremely skilled very finesse oriented guard, whom I absolutely love to watch, by the way. While tough as nails, he doesn't play his best ball when he's being beaten up physically and he's proven that several times. Conversely, the twins are tanks and frankly down right intimidating. In that way, they're a little like MKG in that the worst thing you can do is piss them off. Depending on how Cal perceived the situation, he may have thought brawn was indicated. Maybe he wanted to retain a measure more experience. Maybe he just forgot in the heat of the moment. Who knows and he surely makes many millions and has much more time in that seat than I (currently 0 summarizes both my salary and experience as a D1 head basketball coach). The least likely explanation is that he was worried about Aaron's draft stock. The best thing for Aaron (and the rest of the team) would have been to make that final and beat the living hell out of Duke. While hindsight may or may not have supported a substitution, I will never believe Cal allowed the game and history to slip away for the draft status of one player. I do not believe that the very thought of such would have crossed his mind then or ever.

I'll be honest, I don't think that Cal has the market cornered on stressing individual performance to strengthen team performance. Remember the Army jingle? Be the best you can be, join the Army (you the individual, join the team)? If you've ever had the honor to work with a Navy Seal, you see this all over them. I've worked with two. In both cases, it was "I can handle this for us." or "I'm really good at <whatever>, let me do that" They were supremely trained and skilled and as such were nearly the perfect team player. These guys are such team players, some even interpret it as arrogance. I can tell you though, they are hammers. Its not exactly the same for sure and the stakes are far lower than our military, but I see the same pattern in Cal as a leader pushing his players to be their best so that the team can be its best.

Anyway, if you care to read through it, that's my take.

Yea that's a great take. I certainly could see Cal attempting to take any pressure off both Andrew & Aaron. It appeared to have worked in Andrews case anyway as anyone could see his play improve during the middle to late portion of the season. I do wonder if he stuck with Andrew at times longer than he might've otherwise, with Ulis ready & able to come in & perform. I will say he had no problem sitting Aaron at times in favor of a more consistent shooter in Booker.
As for the final game, I, probably wrongly, liken it to the Pete Carroll Super Bowl situation. I don't think Coach Carroll did anything sinister like not wanting Lynch to be the hero. I just believe his affection for Wilson clouded his judgment in a split second decision & he went one way when going another might've given his team the best chance to win.
Likewise with Coach Cal & Andrew. Nothing sinister, but his affection & desire to let Andrew show the world may have influenced his decision.
The player first philosophy is fine I guess. I just tire of hearing Cal trumpet it as if it's something revolutionary. It's like me constantly making sure to tell the world that I don't beat my wife. It's a good thing, but not a transcendent philosophy on living.
Of course, I could be wrong. :)

I've never understood the parallel between Carroll's history making, umm trying to avoid derivations of the f word, "foul" up?

Calipari made a judgment call. I can understand the call. I might have made the same call. Maybe, in hindsight, he might have made a different call. Carroll made the single biggest bonehead, stupid, ill informed, unsupportable, completely crazy, ignorant, "FOULED UP" call in the history of . . . time. Did I leave anything out? I can understand Calipari. Carroll should be investigated.

Ok, I think I see where you are off track on the player first philosophy. Take my wife. She is the sweetest, most thoughtful, tolerant woman ever put on the face of this earth. I make sure she knows it. I put her first, well second, but you know what I mean.

I'll also get supper tonight. Calipari also gets recruits, mostly.

See the difference?

Ha fair enough!! My only response would be that Cal went with that judgment call about 3-5 consecutive times down the floor, with the same result & no attempt to change the call.

But water under the bridge! Thanks for the discussion.

Ha fair enough!! My only response would be that Cal went with that judgment call about 3-5 consecutive times down the floor, with the same result & no attempt to change the call.

But water under the bridge! Thanks for the discussion.

That last 3 - 5 minutes was worst case everything. Offense faltered. The most effective defense over the last 5 minutes I've ever seen faltered. We couldn't hit free throws. Coach was playing checkers. Guards were playing keep away. Front line was in the popcorn line. I was having Georgetown flash backs (Yeah, I'm old enough to have those). They say no one thing makes a plane crash. It takes multiple failures. That last 5 minutes was a plane crash if I ever saw one.

My explanation is this. Hermione is a Wisconsin fan and she was putting the mojo on our arse big time. Best I can come up with to explain that chain of events.

Sometimes bad chit happens. I thought they had it in the bag when they were 4 points up. Shows you what I know. I survived Georgetown. I'll survive this.

Homers whining about the whining. Par for the course, especially when it comes to Cal.
I see no reason to question his recruiting tactics whatsoever because he is the best, but his coaching can be suspect at times.
Opposing viewpoints keep everyone on their toes.
Without them Tubby would have just completed his 18th season because pumpers can't visualize that there is always room for improvement while also being content that we needed the FF banner anyway to close with UNCheat.

Look, this is how it is. If you want the best of the best to come to UK, Calipari is going to have to make "players first" abundantly clear. You can't tell kids with dreams and aspirations that they're a stepping stone to achieve your dreams and aspirations, so Calipari restructured the program to work in this manner, and everybody's benefited from it.

I don't think this is true. Coach K has no problem getting elite players and he preaches Duke first, not players first.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT