ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Cal:We may never platoon again, but players will always come first

my gosh, we get it!!!

Players first, players first, players first, players first....it's been rammed it down our throats.

You are for the name on the back of the jersey. That's fine. And you do an excellent job.

But I'm for the name on the front.

(didn't read the article)

Last edited:
Reactions: teamcanada
my gosh, we get it!!!

Players first, players first, players first, players first....it's been rammed it down our throats.

You are for the name on the back of the jersey. That's fine. And you do an excellent.
That is a ridiculous reply. Nobody has gotten players to buy into a "team first" mentality more than Cal. Nothing is further from the truth than the notion that "players first" means Cal encourages or allows for "me first" play. Also his "players first" emphasis has consistently gotten us the top talent in the country.

Some people are too stupid to get the marketing strategy that has netted UK either the #1 or #2 recruiting class every year since Coach Cal has been here. Cal says what he says for players and recruits, not the fans. If you do not get that by now, you are just clueless.

If you do not like to hear it...do not be on the site every day, or maybe go root for UL and Pitino.

my gosh, we get it!!!

You are for the name on the back of the jersey. That's fine. And you do an excellent.

My gosh we get it!!

3rex knows better than Cal, 3rex knows better than Cal,3rex knows better than Cal.......it's rammed down our throats

You are all about bitching and moaning. That's fine. And you do an excellent job.

But I'm for winning games and competing for National Titles.

my gosh, we get it!!!

is that your version of heat? good luck with that.

Most consistently miserable poster in the history of RR. UK has always been Players first. Look at the facilities we have and the treatment out guys get even after being off campus 20+years.

Cal just markets it to provide the greatest benefit to the UNIVERSITY. They aren't separate concepts. One drives the other.

These 4 final fours in 6 years and a championship during this "players first" experimental era have been terrible for the university . And the one year we were in the tournament an failed to make the final four was one of the most exciting seasons in UK history that didn't end in a title.

This article tells me that the platooning hurt us in recuirting this spring. I still think it was the right thing to do with the team we had.

This is needed. With all the negative recruiting regarding the platoon system I think Cal needed to remind recruits why he does the things he does. Its always for the players. I think some of these 2015 recruits are going to find out that their coaches may not be the "player's coach" they portrayed themselves to be.

This article tells me that the platooning hurt us in recuirting this spring. I still think it was the right thing to do with the team we had.

Other than Lee, I really do not know who you could have cut out of the rotation this past season. I suppose DJ by season's end...and he was not playing as much then.

And funny thread here, that "other poster" says I'm a Cal lover and his stalker but it appears you guys all agree with me that he is a troll and a Cal hater and Pitino Lover.

But, I thought according to most on here anyone who said platooning hurt recruiting this year was an idiot???

Again, what was the alternative? Not play star guys at all or 5 min a game? Wow, that would have helped our pitch a lot!!

He did the best with the circumstance of key guys coming back, he thought the Harrisons and WCS would leave. The only reason a lot of you are p*ssing and moaning about it is because we didn't win it all...take the title last year and this year is a throw-away and no one gives a sh*t about recruits we didn't get.

Reactions: Brando Mac
Most consistently miserable poster in the history of RR. UK has always been Players first. Look at the facilities we have and the treatment out guys get even after being off campus 20+years.

Cal just markets it to provide the greatest benefit to the UNIVERSITY. They aren't separate concepts. One drives the other.

These 4 final fours in 6 years and a championship during this "players first" experimental era have been terrible for the university . And the one year we were in the tournament an failed to make the final four was one of the most exciting seasons in UK history that didn't end in a title.

Ok, I will play along. What is it about "players first," whatever that means, that has brought these 4 Final Fours? What is it about players first that is different from what Rupp, who won multiple National Championships...or Joe B. Hall, who won a National Championship...or Rick, who won a national championship...or even Tubby, who won a National Championship...
I'm curious & willing to listen & learn. What is it about his "players first" that is different, and has brought us all of this success. Be specific as I actually want to hear what it is.

One other question. Is Cal the only coach in the country who puts players first?

I just get tired of hearing it. It's like me standing up & saying, for everyone to hear..."I love my family!"
Well, of course, I love my family...but so do you, and so do most. I don't expect to get a pat on the back, or an attaboy, from everyone I run into because I am so great for loving my family.

Last edited:
Again, what was the alternative? Not play star guys at all or 5 min a game? Wow, that would have helped our pitch a lot!!

He did the best with the circumstance of key guys coming back, he thought the Harrisons and WCS would leave. The only reason a lot of you are p*ssing and moaning about it is because we didn't win it all...take the title last year and this year is a throw-away and no one gives a sh*t about recruits we didn't get.

I agree. And boy it sure sucks having all these guys "playing for the name on the back" as they have only been to 4 final fours in 5 years with a natty title. That one poster longs for the days of those 4 year recruited players Coach G and Tubby had that played for UK...that never did anything, unless they had a team of Pitino recruits around them or once Cal got ahold of them after G left.

3rex getting absolutely destroyed. I love it. What's Cal's record against your hero while at UK?

I agree. And boy it sure sucks having all these guys "playing for the name on the back" as they have only been to 4 final fours in 5 years with a natty title. That one poster longs for the days of those 4 year recruited players Coach G and Tubby had that played for UK...that never did anything, unless they had a team of Pitino recruits around them or once Cal got ahold of them after G left.

You seem to talk about Pitino more than any poster on this board...and on threads that have nothing to do with him. Strange...
Me, I basically never do.

You seem to be a closet U of L fan...

Reactions: ala_kat2
For the record, how many people are criticizing Cal for platooning? I'm not seeing it.

You do understand that's different than saying it may have hurt our recruiting, right? Nobody (with half a brain) is blaming Calipari for that.

Those of you being critical of Cal's "players First" policy would be better suited to cheer for a lesser team. Most of today's top players want to go where they can be featured and be the top dog. That's just the way it is anymore.

Those who wish it was all about the name on the front of the jersey may as well change their fandom to schools that only recruit good but far from great players. That is just the way that college basketball has evolved in the last decade or so. I wish it wasn't that way but...

Those of you being critical of Cal's "players First" policy would be better suited to cheer for a lesser team. Most of today's top players want to go where they can be featured and be the top dog. That's just the way it is anymore.

Those who wish it was all about the name on the front of the jersey may as well change their fandom to schools that only recruit good but far from great players. That is just the way that college basketball has evolved in the last decade or so. I wish it wasn't that way but...

To be honest, I agree with this.

But I still ask, "what is 'players first,' specifically, that is that different from what any other school or coach does, besides doing all he can to help them be drafted in the NBA?"
And, yes, I'm sure there's more to it...so, what is it specifically?

3rex getting judi-kicked

buffy-kick-1.gif

lol...its ok. I'm like Floyd Mayweather, you come at me 3 feet, and I back up 6 feet. So I'm pretty much unschathed... :)

Thank God, the idiots can shut up with the "DO WE PLATOON NEXT YEAR?" crap.

He probably should have put this out earlier, but in all honesty I don't believe it cost us any recruits.

Also he HAS TO REPEAT PLAYERS FIRST because the kids he's targeting now haven't heard it for the last 5 years like we have, with our hyper focus and all.

But I still ask, "what is 'players first,' specifically, that is that different from what any other school or coach does, besides doing all he can to help them be drafted in the NBA?"

It's more of a marketing tool than anything, just a catchy slogan to help get guys thinking what Cal is about. He just wants to reinforce the message that he will not hold anyone back, as other coaches have been known to do.

He is obviously saying that he used the platoon because it was best/fairest to the players. Is he saying that he did this because it was best for them even though he thinks we would have been better as a team without it? Obviously when all was said and done we were 38-1 but I wonder if at some point he made a conscious decision early last year that he was rolling with the platoons even though he thought we might be better with a tighter rotation. Players first?

It's more of a marketing tool than anything, just a catchy slogan to help get guys thinking what Cal is about. He just wants to reinforce the message that he will not hold anyone back, as other coaches have been known to do.

fair enough...I know I'm in the minority but I tire of hearing it. And it does seem like there is a fine line between "not holding anyone back," and creating a culture that is all about coming to the University to prepare yourself for the NBA draft (many times just 10 months later), which is what we seem to have developed.
But I could be wrong... :)

I think Duke fans would beg to differ. K gets top talent at Duke and none of them are bigger than the Duke brand, and if they start thinking they are...well then, see Sulaimon. Duke's elite, alpha dogs, play for Duke first, otherwise K wouldn't have them around.

I'm not saying it's not the same for Calipari and UK, just disagreeing with those that say it can't be done.

I think 3rex is being sincere here so with that, I say this:

"Players First" is simply Calipari's marketing strategy. The goal for all coaches is the same- win games and keep their job. The selling point on how to do that ranges from "playing for the name on your jersey" to promises of "if you come here you'll be the guy". For Calipari, his players first marketing strategy tells kids in this day in age that my focus is on YOU. That comes across as selling out the name on the front of the jersey, but if you look at Cal's teams at UK they have been all about selfless, sacrificial, teammate focused basketball because it makes individual ball players better. It promotes the individual skill of each player to contribute to the benefit of the entire team. In the mean time he ensures that his players are achieving their academic priorities and becoming better citizens with charity work and embracing the erratic fan base worship. He takes the "players first" mantra and twists it to become about a bunch of individual young men improving themselves to become one cohesive unit. The marketing element appeals to the kids psyche but in turn it turns them into better people and basketball players. That's they way I see it.

several things. surprised you have to ask since they are so obvious:
  • not playing mind games with players, holding them back. lets them play through mistakes. lots of coaches, bench players...hold them back until they "know" their system -> Self
  • Cal changes the offense each year to highlight the talent he has. its not about Cal's system and forcing players to adapt. Cal adapts to the players. -> Pitino
  • Cal makes players in games work on what they need to work on. Cal could have let Davis, Towns play on the perimeter where they are better, but having them work on an area where they need work, makes them better, more prepared for the next level. They could dominate being used in other ways.
  • Cal gets them information and then supports whatever decision they make. Whether its a good one or not...he stands behind them. You don't see Cal coming out in the middle of the year throw his players under the bus for having a bad game. -> Boehiem
Cal does right by the players first. I recommend to find a way to accept and deal with it or just not be a fan of UK for the considerable future. It doesn't appear that you are all that support of the program/university anyways.

my gosh, we get it!!!

You are for the name on the back of the jersey. That's fine. And you do an excellent job.

Apparently, you don't get it. You're also miserable as hell.

fair enough...I know I'm in the minority but I tire of hearing it. And it does seem like there is a fine line between "not holding anyone back," and creating a culture that is all about coming to the University to prepare yourself for the NBA draft (many times just 10 months later), which is what we seem to have developed.
But I could be wrong... :)

In the words of Cal, "this isn't for you." Feel free to tune out the constant marketing and NBA draft being part of the season gobbledygook. There is zero reason any fan should pay attention to that unless they want to. It's all done to pique the interest of high level prospects, and that is all it is.

"Players First" Is Cal's promise to any player that he will do what is the very best for each individual player's future. Not only is it a proclamation of understanding, it started out as a dig at the coaches that convinced players to come back to school when it was to the player's benefit to turn pro. It's also not pushing players out the door to make room for an incoming player. It even includes helping a player that wants to transfer find the right school for him.

So, in the case of last season, it was beneficial for some players that thought they would be One-and-Done, to return to school to improve.Then "Players First" also means that Cal will not push a player out the door to make room for the next group of recruits.

Now, Cal is making sure the world knows that "Platooning" is NOT the mantra for UK Basketball!!
PLAYERS FIRST IS!!!

I think Duke fans would beg to differ. K gets top talent at Duke and none of them are bigger than the Duke brand, and if they start thinking they are...well then, see Sulaimon. Duke's elite, alpha dogs, play for Duke first, otherwise K wouldn't have them around.

I'm not saying it's not the same for Calipari and UK, just disagreeing with those that say it can't be done.

Duke is no different than UK. Duke had to become like UK to remain relevant.

Reactions: Federal Cat
ADVERTISEMENT