ADVERTISEMENT

Catsfan3523 vs Hotelblue NBA GM draft poll

Which team is better suited to win now and the long run?

• Catsfans3523

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • Hotelblue

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
ok i'm in full agreement with this. we should each get a couple level headed sponsor voters each, and let the tiebreak be the drafter's vote. or just do the 13 votes (draftees only) which is nice and uneven, for each matchup. all cat voters naturally, i actually was joking at kaiser but it came out wrong. last summer he was picking guys with terrible teams but had uk players and it was quite funny.

btw thanks for the vote. i think my owner/gm would be happy with the franchise's roster/future. i don't mind losing to his team. i got to admit though I thought i had this draft rung. maybe the guidelines will be more rigid next time if people want to be serious. it can only get better figuring out new ideas. nothing crazy. i've obviously enjoyed doing this as i do any basketball talk on here.

We could have posted for people to vote on the NBA Real GM boards as well.

you guys really think my franchise isn't in better shape for the future? i thought i did really good here, especially getting the 14th pick. pretty sure i have the youngest average age. and i'm pretty sure that means something.

lol at jordan/redick as my only good players. they are probably the least valuable. so my only question for you guys is this....

who in this draft has a better young core for the future than the following....

jahlil okafor/willie cauley-stein
julius randle/frank kaminsky
victor oladipo/sam dekker
ben mclemore/evan turner
michael carter williams

cuz i don't see one. had a feeling the blinders for current success would dominate the voting. you guys that say it's an easy pick, i'm a bit surprised.

I'll bite. You have no balance in your roster. Your bigs are pretty good, but you can really only play 2 at a time (and maybe even just 1). I don't buy Kaminsky as a 4, and WCS with your lack of 3 point shooting is not a good fit at all - cramped spacing. So 4 guys are best at C (Jordan, Okafor, Kaminsky, WCS). 4 of your best. Your wings suck. Who plays the 3 spot? Dekker and . . . Turner? Turner is bad, McLemore can maybe get to 5th best guy on a contender (if he pans out), MCW is not good (I don't see it at all... not even a little), Oladipo is fine. Reddick is quality. Randle is coming off of injury. No shooting at all except Reddick and maybe Kaminsky. Is Randle the only true 4? Coming off injury? Yikes.

I see what you did and what you were going for, and I don't fault the strategy, but the guys you got left you with an imbalanced roster with little shooting, no 3s or small ball 4s, and too much overlap in skills. Teams will pack the paint, sag off Oladipo/MCW/Walker to shoot terribly, and make life difficult for your bigs. On defense you could be good (depending on your bigs) until you run up against a good 3/4 with size - PG13, Lebron, Durant, Melo, Giannis, Pierce, Hayward, Gallinari, Wiggins, Iggy, Parson, Kawhi.

Kemba Walker - meh, maybe 18th best PG
Michael Carter Williams - I'd guard him from the charge circle and feel confident, good defender, though
Ben Mclemore - upside of possible starter!
J.J Redick - solid defender, terrific shooter
Victor Oladipo - good (but overrated) defender, terrific driver, meh at best shooter
Evan Turner - as an 8th man, I like him to run bench units for 5 minute stretches
Sam Dekker - upside of starter?
Julius Randle - poor man's Elton Brand before injury?
Frank Kaminsky - Channing Frye upside
Willie Cauley-Stein - ultimate boom or bust depending on fit, and this is a poor fit
Jahlil Okafor - solid low post scorer, but defense?
DeAndre Jordan - max worthy player, best to surround with PnR PG and shooting

i'll take 20 year old randle over milsap. easy. i'll take 19 year old okafor over howard easy. i might even take them for just this season goodness me.

You're an optimist, and I respect that, but taking Randle over Milsap anytime in the next 3 years (barring injury) is insane. Same with Okafor over Howard unless you really have no faith in his back. Rookies tend to suck even if they turn out good later. You might end up with a roster of terrific assets down the line, but I just don't see it. Turner and Walker - youngish, but you know what they are at this point.

I think the guidelines were pretty clear...draft a team that can compete now and can compete down the road. Well-balanced, not too front or back-loaded. I don't think the idea (or the way I took it anyways) was to think about trading away/for assets or draft picks down the road.
not saying they weren't clear. that's something else.

wouldn't trade for assets or draft picks either. would trade them away. doesn't need to be clear and can remain vague in terms of what can be done. the point is the franchise has the capability to do what it wants to make a title winning roster. to trade for one mega star player is more likely the hypothetical scenario.

the draft picks thing is too vague and i just flat gave myself that for being 14th lol. but that people didn't question the logic (as many said as i well admitted... not even making the second round in the present with my squad) is proof no rules were set on that. it's a trifle i guess, i'm just the type to want more variable in a game.

in this case it's actually a safe guard lol for those that don't have a title team right off the bat. you could award a few year's draft picks. wouldn't be hard to do. you have the drafters vote on the top 14 nba players. the number one choice gets the 14th draft pick starting year two. you could do it for one year or all. one pick or several. you could do all this type of stuff. salary cap included if you really wanted to get technical and have fun.

You're an optimist, and I respect that, but taking Randle over Milsap anytime in the next 3 years (barring injury) is insane. Same with Okafor over Howard unless you really have no faith in his back. Rookies tend to suck even if they turn out good later. You might end up with a roster of terrific assets down the line, but I just don't see it. Turner and Walker - youngish, but you know what they are at this point.
we're not drafting players for three years, we're drafting them for ten. so for ten years you rather have milsap? well i can't help feeling that 7 of those ten i have the better prospect.

i also think i have the most versatility defensively with my younger players.

oladipo 2-3
carter williams 1-3
willie cauley-stein 3-5
randle 3-4

This post makes your roster make more sense to me, but I think you're vastly overrating the defensive versatility of your roster. Randle cannot guard NBA 3s. Neither can Oladipo or MCW unless the other team is running a similarly small 3. And cross-matching is always dangerous because it creates opportunities in transition. And if you put WCS or Oladipo or MCW on a 3, I would put a shooter out there and park him in the corner. Now your best defensive players are pretty much wasted. Better to hide a crappy D point guard like Irving or Lillard.

we're not drafting players for three years, we're drafting them for ten. so for ten years you rather have milsap? well i can't help feeling that 7 of those ten i have the better prospect.

I mean, I guess. But I would rather have Milsap for at least the next 3 then a replacement via free agency or the draft. Milsap is terrific in a lot of ways that don't show up in the box score, and he's good in the box score as well. Realistically, he'll be better than Randle for at least 5 years. I assume that y'all aren't locked into a particular roster for the next 10 years, right? Like a 48 year old Dirk won't be tied to a team?

and so you're not an optimist and probably voted against me. that's fair, really is. i have been optimistic. just get back to me on who you'd rather have for 10 years, okafor/randle or howard/milsap?

or just the advantage in general for my opponent over myself for the majority of the ten years.

also guys no one including myself said i was trading for draft picks. it'd be the exact opposite, and with my surplus of youth would still be two or three to one trades. maybe once. you guys are getting that part wrong, or blowing it out of proportion in terms of the strategy. i love my players. i just like that incredible flexibility as an organization as well.

Last edited:
This post makes your roster make more sense to me, but I think you're vastly overrating the defensive versatility of your roster. Randle cannot guard NBA 3s. Neither can Oladipo or MCW unless the other team is running a similarly small 3. And cross-matching is always dangerous because it creates opportunities in transition. And if you put WCS or Oladipo or MCW on a 3, I would put a shooter out there and park him in the corner. Now your best defensive players are pretty much wasted. Better to hide a crappy D point guard like Irving or Lillard.
we can break down the starting fives for each year if you want and subs/pers/situationals matchups and everything if you want. i will for my team anyway. maybe just randle defensively. is besides the point anyway. i never overrated them, i said i had the most versatile young defenders as a group of anyone in this draft. prove me wrong. or at least try. that would be an argument actually based on my initial evaluations.

Congrats, you have been awarded Most Versatile Young Defenders As A Group of Anyone In the Draft......I don't think you would win 20 games in the NBA next season.

we can break down the starting fives for each year if you want and subs/pers/situationals matchups and everything if you want. i will for my team anyway. maybe just randle defensively. is besides the point anyway. i never overrated them, i said i had the most versatile young defenders as a group of anyone in this draft. prove me wrong. or at least try. that would be an argument actually based on my initial evaluations.
I still like my guys more defensively...Korver and Parker aren't great but my starting 1, 4, and 5 spots are among the best in the league defensively. Winslow is the wildcard. Could be great, might not be.

I'll bite. You have no balance in your roster. Your bigs are pretty good, but you can really only play 2 at a time (and maybe even just 1). I don't buy Kaminsky as a 4, and WCS with your lack of 3 point shooting is not a good fit at all - cramped spacing. So 4 guys are best at C (Jordan, Okafor, Kaminsky, WCS). 4 of your best. Your wings suck. Who plays the 3 spot? Dekker and . . . Turner? Turner is bad, McLemore can maybe get to 5th best guy on a contender (if he pans out), MCW is not good (I don't see it at all... not even a little), Oladipo is fine. Reddick is quality. Randle is coming off of injury. No shooting at all except Reddick and maybe Kaminsky. Is Randle the only true 4? Coming off injury? Yikes.

I see what you did and what you were going for, and I don't fault the strategy, but the guys you got left you with an imbalanced roster with little shooting, no 3s or small ball 4s, and too much overlap in skills. Teams will pack the paint, sag off Oladipo/MCW/Walker to shoot terribly, and make life difficult for your bigs. On defense you could be good (depending on your bigs) until you run up against a good 3/4 with size - PG13, Lebron, Durant, Melo, Giannis, Pierce, Hayward, Gallinari, Wiggins, Iggy, Parson, Kawhi.

Kemba Walker - meh, maybe 18th best PG
Michael Carter Williams - I'd guard him from the charge circle and feel confident, good defender, though
Ben Mclemore - upside of possible starter!
J.J Redick - solid defender, terrific shooter
Victor Oladipo - good (but overrated) defender, terrific driver, meh at best shooter
Evan Turner - as an 8th man, I like him to run bench units for 5 minute stretches
Sam Dekker - upside of starter?
Julius Randle - poor man's Elton Brand before injury?
Frank Kaminsky - Channing Frye upside
Willie Cauley-Stein - ultimate boom or bust depending on fit, and this is a poor fit
Jahlil Okafor - solid low post scorer, but defense?
DeAndre Jordan - max worthy player, best to surround with PnR PG and shooting
fair enough. willie cauley stein is a four. kaminsky is a four (would like to hear your argument otherwise) randle is a four. that's three fours none older than 22. yikes? no.

oladipo is not fine. he's my three against half these rosters. (three guards with mclemore or redick and mcw). he guards lebron and makes him shoot. depends on who i'm facing and who is in. there are more than a few situations where randle could play the three as well. just say i disagree with a lot of you guys on that.

just because i have an old school four on the bench like a kaminsky who is not athletic like today's fours doesn't mean he's not effective. it depends on who you're putting on the floor as your four in the second/third wave. he's going to stretch the floor against any bruiser.

btw how is cauley-stein a bad fit on any team? i thought you're breakdown of my perimeter is spot on. i drafted these young players based on a lot of things including everything you said.

I still like my guys more defensively...Korver and Parker aren't great but my starting 1, 4, and 5 spots are among the best in the league defensively. Winslow is the wildcard. Could be great, might not be.
dude no way lol. i gots the better defenders. wcs, jordan, oladipo, mcw alone tips the scale. but i can break down each guy again, but really?

Congrats, you have been awarded Most Versatile Young Defenders As A Group of Anyone In the Draft......I don't think you would win 20 games in the NBA next season.
i don't either. luckily it's not a one year project.

and thanks for adding sarcasm even though i wasn't the one who got confused. really adds that je na sais quoi.

dude no way lol. i gots the better defenders. wcs, jordan, oladipo, mcw alone tips the scale. but i can break down each guy again, but really?
Just my preference...I'd take Ibaka/Cousins/Conley/Winslow for what they give me on both ends of the court. But I love that group's ability to defend.

WCS and Winslow are unknowns at the NBA level but I like both of their outlooks.

WCS has offensive limitations. On a well spaced team, I love him. On one that lacks spacing, I think he is too much of a liability. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but I watched the last 3 years. Kaminsky might be able to play stretch 4 on offense, but he lacks the foot speed to play that for more than small stretches.

I'm not a fan of Oladipo at the 3. Just don't see it working out well for long stretches. I think your thinking of playing guys out of position is fine for short stretches, but you also need more traditional matchups as well. Lebron would destroy Oladipo in the post, btw. Like, eviscerate. He's probably the best offensive post player in the league. And I don't see Randle guarding 3s. Ever. I think we just differ on how we evaluate these particular players. I think MCW and Oladipo guard 1s and 2s just fine, 3s are pushing it. Randle plays the 4 defensively, I don't see him ever at the 3. Kaminsky guarding 4s? Now, you have WCS. But I don't think you have the team on offense to put around him.

In terms of future/present, I tend to value the present production higher. It's more certain. The further out you go, the harder it is to project. Sure, maybe you'd want Randle over Milsap in 7 years, but it's not certain. I think it's more likely that you'd want 5 years of Milsap and take your chances on the back half with his replacement. And so many guys were either projected highly, started well, or both and turned out to be meh 5 years out.

Just my preference...I'd take Ibaka/Cousins/Conley/Winslow for what they give me on both ends of the court. But I love that group's ability to defend.

WCS and Winslow are unknowns at the NBA level but I like both of their outlooks.
cousins over jordan defensively is not even close. and cuz is my favorite player in the league. recover time, help defending, defensive rebounding, shot blocking. it's really not close my friend. and cuz is solid. deandre is dpoy category. mcw has two extra positions he could guard in a pinch over conley. i prefer that for my team.

cousins over jordan defensively is not even close. and cuz is my favorite player in the league. recover time, help defending, defensive rebounding, shot blocking. it's really not close my friend. and cuz is solid. deandre is dpoy category. mcw has two extra positions he could guard in a pinch over conley. i prefer that for my team.
Hey man, I respect that. We're just different GMs.

WCS has offensive limitations. On a well spaced team, I love him. On one that lacks spacing, I think he is too much of a liability. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but I watched the last 3 years. Kaminsky might be able to play stretch 4 on offense, but he lacks the foot speed to play that for more than small stretches.

I'm not a fan of Oladipo at the 3. Just don't see it working out well for long stretches. I think your thinking of playing guys out of position is fine for short stretches, but you also need more traditional matchups as well. Lebron would destroy Oladipo in the post, btw. Like, eviscerate. He's probably the best offensive post player in the league. And I don't see Randle guarding 3s. Ever. I think we just differ on how we evaluate these particular players. I think MCW and Oladipo guard 1s and 2s just fine, 3s are pushing it. Randle plays the 4 defensively, I don't see him ever at the 3. Kaminsky guarding 4s? Now, you have WCS. But I don't think you have the team on offense to put around him.

In terms of future/present, I tend to value the present production higher. It's more certain. The further out you go, the harder it is to project. Sure, maybe you'd want Randle over Milsap in 7 years, but it's not certain. I think it's more likely that you'd want 5 years of Milsap and take your chances on the back half with his replacement. And so many guys were either projected highly, started well, or both and turned out to be meh 5 years out.
could you pick any two better young offensive players to bookend cauley-stein than randle and okafor? wow.

we can agree to disagree on randle. same with him vs milsap. projections are hazy indeed. but randle over milsap for the majority of the ten is more than safe imo. randle isn't replacing anyone. i think he starts right away. in real life.

if james abuses everyone in the post what's the difference? make them use the whole clock to get it there and maybe have wcs or deandre weak side. he got to make damn jump shots to beat my team lol. more than a few times a game he's going to unload of course. he's the best player in the world. no shame in that.

btw kaminsky playing small stretches is the idea.

Catpaw has read all of the arguments in this thread and has spent the last 12 hours thoroughly researching all of the players on both teams via NBA.com, ESPN.com, FoxSports.com, Wiki and some other relevant sites to be named later. All of the data was gathered and entered into the Catpaw 5000 XTE Mega Computer which is networked with the Jaguar Cray HT5-HE SuperComputer located at the Oak Ridge National Lab. The final results...

Catpaw says: Catsfan still wins in a landslide. It's actually more of a lopsided victory given the findings from my in depth, computer analyzed scientific study.

Hotelblue you pretty much did this draft how I would draft in NBA2k15. I'm not hating you for it. I understand what you are trying to do. I think your team could win a "different draft" more focused on a rebuilding effort. I could easily see your team being a top 3 team in this draft if there was say 32 owners like in real life.

i like guys flaming in our draft thread. only on rafters. i bet 8 of the last 10 voters were the same type. because only two guys have even actually discussed the topic with me besides the op.

Hotelblue you pretty much did this draft how I would draft in NBA2k15. I'm not hating you for it. I understand what you are trying to do. I think your team could win a "different draft" more focused on a rebuilding effort. I could easily see your team being a top 3 team in this draft if there was say 32 owners like in real life.
thanks. you're the second draftee to comment on the actual procedure i took. and both have been pretty complimentary. that helps ty

btw i don't play video games, but if my idea came from that all i can say is crap. if that's how people do it that's hilarious. and i imagine effective. too bad it didn't translate.

No problem.. I watch the NBA religiously just like I do UK basketball. Just next year unless we increase owners... I'd just try to build for the next 1-4 years.

Yea people draft just like you did on here in video games. It is much easier building a dynasty by stockpiling young talent like you did. Either letting them grow or trading them for high end talent. You are right it didn't translate on here.

i guess so. just don't sound off like jordan/cousins is my opinion. it's a fact.
No worries. I never said Cousins individually was better than Jordan defensively. Just that I thought that my group as a whole was pretty comparable to yours skill and versatility-wise.

Now offensively...........

btw i don't play video games, but if my idea came from that all i can say is crap. if that's how people do it that's hilarious. and i imagine effective. too bad it didn't translate. you'd probably would have to trade them all after a few years for the cap, but i would keep most of my guys.

No worries. I never said Cousins individually was better than Jordan defensively. Just that I thought that my group as a whole was pretty comparable to yours skill and versatility-wise.

Now offensively...........
we can talk offense.

BTW...I didn't even vote in the poll. And I doubt my nonsensical posts had any baring on anyone voting seriously. Try not to get so worked up, man. It's just a fake draft on a meaningless message board.This is RR. Hardly the place for a draft like this to be taken completely serious by very many people other than those directly involved in the 4 week drafting process. Just about everyone voting on RR will have UK homer tendencies.

Catpaw says: Good luck next time, hotelblue.

Catpaw says: Good luck next time, hotelblue.
well i guess that ends this voting session.

btw i can assure you pretty much everyone in this draft follows the nba closely and took this particular game seriously. we just spent hours of our time over the course a couple weeks. yeah just a game, but a long one.

hmm i have okafor though for ten years. he ain't miles ahead of him. good lord i'm gonna need him to win roy. i'll bet at least comparable over the ten years. as cousins i think is going to improve his per even more.

hmm i have okafor though for ten years. he ain't miles ahead of him.
Would you really take Okafor over Cousins for the next 10 years? Not me. Not with the mix of skills Big Cuz brings to the table.

1st time All-Star this year (should have been his 2nd) who happens to already be the best C in the league and isn't even into his prime yet? Yeah, I'll keep him.

Would you really take Okafor over Cousins for the next 10 years? Not me. Not with the mix of skills Big Cuz brings to the table.

1st time All-Star this year (should have been his 2nd) who happens to already be the best C in the league and isn't even into his prime yet? Yeah, I'll keep him.
no i wouldn't. i said he would not be miles ahead. and am betting comparable over ten years. comparable, not better.

no i wouldn't. i said he would not be miles ahead. and am betting comparable over ten years. comparable, not better.
Gotcha.

Sorry you got bounced in the first round man, would have loved to have debated our teams in the next round or beyond. I think focusing on potential and defense a little too much hurt you with this crowd of voters. Most of us want it sooner rather than later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT