ADVERTISEMENT

Catsfan3523 vs Hotelblue NBA GM draft poll

Which team is better suited to win now and the long run?

• Catsfans3523

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • Hotelblue

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters

catsfan3523

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 14, 2013
Catsfan3523 roster

Russell Westbrook
Jordan Clarkson
Cameron Payne
Goran Dragic
Wes Matthews
Devin Booker
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
Joe Johnson
Paul Millsap
Terrence Jones
Dwight Howard
Timofey Mozgov

Hotelblue roster

Kemba Walker
Michael Carter Williams
Ben Mclemore
J.J Redick
Victor Oladipo
Evan Turner
Sam Dekker
Julius Randle
Frank Kaminsky
Willie Cauley-Stein
Jahlil Okafor
DeAndre Jordan

@catsfan3523 gets my vote. Westbrook is a top 5-6 player, I really like Milsap as well. Howard gets hated on but he can play and won't be asked to carry the load here.

Last edited:
Starters
C: Dwight Howard (15.8 ppg, 10.5 rpg, 1.3 bpg. 19.31 PER. Top 20 among centers in PER.)
PF: Paul Millsap (16.7 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 3.1 apg. 20.1 PER. 9th best PF in PER.)
SF: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist ( 10.9 ppg, 7.6 rpg, 15.14 PER. 16th best SF in PER.)
SG: Goran Dragic (16.3 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 4.5 apg. 17.47 PER. 8th best SG in PER.)
PG: Russell Westbrook ( 28.1 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 8.6 apg. 29.12 PER. Best PER among PGs. 2nd best PER overall.)

Bench

Jordan Clarkson: 11.9 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 3.5 apg. 16.94 PER.
Wesley Matthews: 15.9 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 2.3 apg. 16.15 PER
Joe Johnson: 14.4 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 3.7 apg. 14.11 PER.
Terrence Jones: 11.7 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.8 bpg. 18.31 PER.
Timofey Mozgov : 9.7 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 1.2 bpg.16.59 PER.
Devin Booker
Cameron Payne

My team has good balance on both sides of the ball. I have a top 5-10 player in the NBA in Russell Westbrook. Westbrook could drop 50 points on any night to go along with 12 assists and 10 rebounds.

Dwight Howard didn't have the best year this year but toward the end of the year he started to get his feel back pretty good. With my team he don't need to be a big time scorer just a lock down post defender and a big time rebounder.

Paul Millsap showed his versatility in full this year. He can bang down low with any power forward and can also step out and knock down the 3 with consistnecy.

Goran Dragic can knock down the 3 or take his defender to the basket. Can also run the point some for Westbrook to work some off the ball too.

MKG is the ultimate competitor. He is working very hard to make his jump shot better. Elite lockdown defender.

My bench has a good blend of old and young players that will be able to contribute instantly. Wesley Matthews is one of the best 3 and D guys in the NBA. Jordan Clarkson showed a ton of upside for the Lakers toward the end of the year. Joe Johnson brings veteran leadership to my team as well as a big threat off the bench. Timofey Mozgov is a very good center able to step out and knock down the 15 to 18 foot jumper. Terrence Jones is a solid all around player.

I'm hoping Devin Booker can step in and learn the ropes under Wesley Matthews and end up being an excellent 3 and D player.

Cameron Payne can come in and not have to play significant minutes right away and learn from Westbrook and Dragic on how to be a good point guard or combo guard.

Catpaw says: One team has 3 former Cats. The other team has 2 former Cats but also has JJ Redick (WTF?) and Kemba Walker. Easy choice indeed.

Major Advantage: Catsfan 3523...in a mercy rule blowout.

{{Sidenote: This game should not even be played...just let Catsfan advance on principle alone.}}

you guys really think my franchise isn't in better shape for the future? i thought i did really good here, especially getting the 14th pick. pretty sure i have the youngest average age. and i'm pretty sure that means something.

lol at jordan/redick as my only good players. they are probably the least valuable. so my only question for you guys is this....

who in this draft has a better young core for the future than the following....

jahlil okafor/willie cauley-stein
julius randle/frank kaminsky
victor oladipo/sam dekker
ben mclemore/evan turner
michael carter williams

cuz i don't see one. had a feeling the blinders for current success would dominate the voting. you guys that say it's an easy pick, i'm a bit surprised.

Catpaw says: You initiated your own demise when you chose to draft JJ Redick. You maybe could have survived the Walker pick as a stand alone...but the addition of JJ Redick sealed your fate. Live and learn, grasshopper.

no one answered to my strat in the draft thread, and no one has here. it's fine, it's fun, just don't think any of you want to talk about future the same way i do. you all want to win now like the lakers, instead of waiting two years and having a top draft pick at every position. you guys would get phil as your coach. my franchise would have needed hubie or larry brown. but in five years i think would have the best franchise for the present and the future again.

Catpaw says: One team has 3 former Cats. The other team has 2 former Cats but also has JJ Redick (WTF?) and Kemba Walker. Easy choice indeed.

Major Advantage: Catsfan 3523...in a mercy rule blowout.

{{Sidenote: This game should not even be played...just let Catsfan advance on principle alone.}}
so non-cats cancel out cats? lol you're system is flawed this time. but thanks. 3 cats and a mercy blowout. sure didn't make a recent amendment to your formula. cuz i think you did. remember you last draft. so don't lie...

Don't think Hotelblue's best two players can play at the same time, and that's gonna hurt him.
what hurts is not one person acknowledging my youth and future trade value. pretty sure i have been up front for a couple weeks about my prospects for the first three years. i guess you missed it. not going for a title year one.

i would not start jordan and okafor together. and again for my future this is neither here nor there. having no star for title now has everything to do with picking 14th, and playing for the future. no one has as many players that can play 10+ years.

Catpaw says: Drafting JJ Redick would cancel out 5 former Cats...thus giving you a score of -2. Catpaw was being nice by calling it a mercy rule blowout. Didn't want to stir a commotion by justifiably calling it what it is...an azz whooping of epic proportions the like of which no red headed step mule could fathom. See what you made me do?

Catpaw says: Drafting JJ Redick would cancel out 5 former Cats...thus giving you a score of -2. Catpaw was being nice by calling it a mercy rule blowout. Didn't want to stir a commotion by justifiably calling it what it is...an azz whooping of epic proportions the like of which no red headed step mule could fathom. See what you made me do?
yeah i just made you talk trash about a team coached by rupp and hall. check the draft thread. lmao

FYI we never even played against redick when he was in college. he's also not the cocky sob he was. so your -5 sure looks judgemental to say the least lol

all these basketball minds, and not one sees that with a ten year projection and no salary cap, my organization will have more trade value than any here. you can take 10% of the names off the draft probably after 2 years, and probably another 30% after 5 years. my franchise would also be getting the top pick for next year in theory. do you guys even consider these things or are just glancing at the roster and voting?

i'll take 20 year old randle over milsap. easy. i'll take 19 year old okafor over howard easy. i might even take them for just this season goodness me. the only player i have no match for in the present is westbrook. and the reason i don't is because i was 14th. so i got young players like turner, carter-williams, mclemore etc.

oladipo/kidd gilchrist is a wash to me.

future front court is jones and mozgov. mine is okafor/kaminsky/randle/cauley-stein.

at present he has howard, i have jordan. who btw is 3 years younger.

he has matthews/booker/clarkson, i have turner/mclemore/carter-williams/walker.

and joe johnson is 34.

The best player on your roster is either a ball-hogging pg (Kemba) or the 2 guard for a 25 win team (Oladipo).

Your next 2 best players are the 3rd and 4th options for the Clippers.

Your 5th best player, right now, is probably Evan Turner, who averaged 10/5.

There is not a single lock among any of your young talent. Lots of question marks.

Personally, I think Okafor will do well, and Randle will do ok. But there is a big difference between possibilities and proven talent.

Benefit of the doubt...if all of your prospects pan out you could have a loaded roster down the road. But it is hard to project your team ahead of multiple teams loaded with young talent that has already performed at a high level.

You could be right. We will know in 5 years. Bookmark this and we will check back in 2020.

Reactions: hotelblue
neither redick nor walker would start i don't think. they may be douches, but their numbers are pretty good. both average 17. i'm getting flack for their college success? redick is a solid pro. hate him all you want it just goes off topic for me. walker though definitely would not start.

you guys like to glance right over my 21 year old pg who averages roughly 15, 7 and 5. and is great defender. as if i was really relying on walker redick for more than support, or anything at all after a few years.

earth to guys, redick/walker/jordan are not pieces to the puzzle after a few years. trying to be ultra clear about this franchises' future. am trying.

JJ Redick and Kemba Walker [poop]

it's like starting up a Nintendo game back in the day and before the first screen loads you unplug the machine just because. Didn't even give yourself a chance.
not sure if you've been following our draft, but these players aren't much for my franchise. nor were they intended to be. i took best player available one time. once, and it was deandre jordan. you could at least make that argument depending on if your team needed a big. so really you don't even know what my strat is if you singled those two out on this draft's youngest team.

redick was my only defensive pick of the draft. i know 4 teams that if got would have been too much for us. i know for a fact he would have gone in the same round, and in the draft thread people were actually saying he was my only good proven player. yeah.

neither redick nor walker would start i don't think. they may be douches, but their numbers are pretty good. both average 17. i'm getting flack for their college success? redick is a solid pro. hate him all you want it just goes off topic for me. walker though definitely would not start.

you guys like to glance right over my 21 year old pg who averages roughly 15, 7 and 5. and is great defender. as if i was really relying on walker redick for more than support, or anything at all after a few years.

earth to guys, redick/walker/jordan are not pieces to the puzzle after a few years. trying to be ultra clear about this franchises' future. am trying.

I'm not a big fan of MCW. I know some others are. Would be pretty boring if we all agreed, right?

I'm not a big fan of MCW. I know some others are. Would be pretty boring if we all agreed, right?
not singling you out. other voters seem to think i really needed kemba walker to secure my franchise lol. just pointing out my starters and main contributors for the future. redick and walker will be on the way out. mcw at least is very young. same with mclemore.

So you're just stockpiling assets? This isn't so much a roster as a collection of pieces that can be traded/packaged and that will guarantee you a high draft pick for a couple of years? You're taking the Sixers approach.

That's actually a really interesting approach. I don't think it's something you can defend or that's even realistic in a league with only 14 teams and so much young talent on each roster, but it's a novel concept for sure and stuff like that makes this sort of thing more fun.

btw aike, do you really think randle will just do "ok"? also jordan is better and more valuable than walker. and whether or not every player pans out actually doesn't really effect their value the first few years. teams trade for players who they think they can develop better all the time. and still pay top price because they are young and we're high drafts picks.

So you're just stockpiling assets? This isn't so much a roster as a collection of pieces that can be traded/packaged and that will guarantee you a high draft pick for a couple of years? You're taking the Sixers approach.

That's actually a really interesting approach. I don't think it's something you can defend or that's even realistic in a league with only 14 teams and so much young talent on each roster, but it's a novel concept for sure and stuff like that makes this sort of thing more fun.
it's realistic according to your rules sir. and it seems people voted without even realizing this.

also i did list my future core, and can go + or - two players that could be dealt. now you have a rough estimate of who would be kept. which would be most of them. so it's not blind stockpiling which was your first thought. interesting since i have each position doubly accounted for and even a couple defensive tweeners.

btw aike, do you really think randle will just do "ok"? also jordan is better and more valuable than walker. and whether or not every player pans out actually doesn't really effect their value the first few years. teams trade for players who they think they can develop better all the time. and still pay top price because they are young and we're high drafts picks.

I'm a Laker fan, so I hope he does better than ok. I love Randle, but so far he is an injury prone, slightly undersized PF. With health and the right situation, he could excel.

You are probably right about Jordan vs. Kemba. One has been the primary or secondary focus of a fringe playoff team. The other is the third guy on a middle of the pack playoff team. But I would rather have DJ on my roster.

but i'm glad for the acknowledgement, even though it's after the majority of the voting. i layed it out in the draft thread and no one said anything there or here, except for a laugh i guess.

i also think i have the most versatility defensively with my younger players.

oladipo 2-3
carter williams 1-3
willie cauley-stein 3-5
randle 3-4

and it isn't for draft picks gonzo. i would only see that the first year or two in theory. trade possibilities would be there yes but i also believe in the majority of these players and pretty much see something close to a starting 5 for the future. if i can hypothetically trade a couple non-starts for a superstar or two with the excess, that's the ideal position. even then i still see solid role players making a young and dynamic bench.

My young core of Cousins (4-5)/Ibaka (3-5)/Winslow (1-3)/Smart (1-3) may have something to say about that...
maybe. winslow 1? ibaka 3? really? in that case wcs is definitely 1-5. cousins 4 and ibaka 3 from about 12 feet on in?

Last edited:
maybe. winslow 1? ibaka 3? really? in that case wcs is definitely 1-5. cousins 4 and ibaka 3 from about 12 feet on in?
I'm fully confident Winslow could lock-down a 1 w/ his speed and length...and if Ibaka got switched onto a 3 outside of 12 feet w/ his athleticism I don't think it would be a problem at all.

We are referring to what positions they could comfortably defend, correct?

I'm fully confident Winslow could lock-down a 1 w/ his speed and length...and if Ibaka got switched onto a 3 outside of 12 feet w/ his athleticism I don't think it would be a problem at all.

We are referring to what positions they could comfortably defend, correct?
yes sir. and you have versatility too. i just got a little rangier guys imo. and a couple more of them. as i forgot to add turner. winslow and ibaka are your stoppers. and good ones.

I'm not being serious, nor is anyone else that's picking on you. I don't know anyone that's taking this entire thing seriously other than the guys that picked teams.
lol. don't do such good analogies then. people still voting didn't need the negative pub. not sure why you'd post that in fact but ok. it's nothing, but actually i think people did take it serious and actually researched their picks. which is why, among other things, we had an 8 clock for each pick. hard to pass time (this draft) if you're not doing something engaging. most here are engaged and explaining their franchise/roster thoroughly.

yea... like I said... no one's taking it seriously that didn't pick a team. You're letting the entire board vote. Probably should've thought of a way to leave voting up to only the other guys that picked teams. People aren't gonna take it seriously... just more likely to pick a team for whatever reason. I voted for you :fistbump:.

Guarantee that a team made of nothing but UK players would beat every other team in voting, though.

Would compete for a title now and for years to come...I'd take my chances on it:

PG -- Wall/Bledsoe/Knight/Rondo
SG -- Booker/Meeks/Young
SF -- MKG/Lyles
PF -- Davis/Kanter/Jones/Randle
C -- Cousins/Noel/WCS

Last edited:
Reactions: hotelblue
yea... like I said... no one's taking it seriously that didn't pick a team. You're letting the entire board vote. Probably should've thought of a way to leave voting up to only the other guys that picked teams. People aren't gonna take it seriously... just more likely to pick a team for whatever reason. I voted for you :fistbump:.

Guarantee that a team made of nothing but UK players would beat every other team in voting, though.
ok i'm in full agreement with this. we should each get a couple level headed sponsor voters each, and let the tiebreak be the drafter's vote. or just do the 13 votes (draftees only) which is nice and uneven, for each matchup. all cat voters naturally, i actually was joking at kaiser but it came out wrong. last summer he was picking guys with terrible teams but had uk players and it was quite funny.

btw thanks for the vote. i think my owner/gm would be happy with the franchise's roster/future. i don't mind losing to his team. i got to admit though I thought i had this draft rung. maybe the guidelines will be more rigid next time if people want to be serious. it can only get better figuring out new ideas. nothing crazy. i've obviously enjoyed doing this as i do any basketball talk on here.

Last edited:
ok i'm in full agreement with this. we should each get a couple level headed sponsor voters each, and let the tiebreak be the drafter's vote. or just do the 13 votes (draftees only) which is nice and uneven, for each matchup. all cat voters naturally, i actually was joking at kaiser but it came out wrong. last summer he was picking guys with terrible teams but had uk players and it was quite funny.

btw thanks for the vote. i think my owner/gm would be happy with the franchise's roster/future. i don't mind losing to his team. i got to admit though I thought i had this draft rung. maybe the guidelines will be more rigid next time if people want to be serious. it can only get better figuring out new ideas. nothing crazy. i've obviously enjoyed doing this as i do any basketball talk on here.
I think the guidelines were pretty clear...draft a team that can compete now and can compete down the road. Well-balanced, not too front or back-loaded. I don't think the idea (or the way I took it anyways) was to think about trading away/for assets or draft picks down the road.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT