ADVERTISEMENT

Best beer for pizza?

KingOfBBN

All-American
Sep 14, 2013
We have had many beer discussions on The Paddock but I wanted to discuss the best beers strictly for pizza. What do you got?

It has been my experience that just about any decent beer goes well with pizza.

If it's not milk, it doesn't matter. Milk and Pizza.. don't ask me how or why..

Am I the only one that hates mixing alcohol and food? When I'm eating something, I generally drink water or the closet thing to it. I love beer. And I love drinking.. but never been a fan of drinking while eating.

If it's not milk, it doesn't matter. Milk and Pizza.. don't ask me how or why..

Am I the only one that hates mixing alcohol and food? When I'm eating something, I generally drink water or the closet thing to it. I love beer. And I love drinking.. but never been a fan of drinking while eating.

Probably not the only one but beer makes pizza and wings better and wine makes steak and seafood better.

A malty Amber is outstanding with pizza. In the fall, a nice American made octoberfest is killer with pizza. IMO, an IPA is too bitter for pizza, but not a deal breaker.

I love IPAs and big Pales with spicy food or Asian food.

Touche.. wings and beer work pretty well. And anything Buffalo flavored. Still like keeping my boozing separate from food on a general basis though.

I can't believe some of you philistines would attempt to answer this question without the relevant information: Toppings, crust depth, type and thickness of cheese, heat of oven and length of cooking cycle. To just suggest a beer without careful regard for the particulars of the food offends my gustatory sensibilities.

Reactions: KidnamedKI
Any beer goes w/ pizza.

You will need a fine wine if you decide to enjoy Papa Johns in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg though. Top notch.

Sam Adams Octoberfest is indeed great with pizza in the fall.

I also love Japanese beer. Kirin, Sopporo and Asahi are excellent to drink with just about anything.

To me it depends on the pizza.

-Chicago deep dish - gotta go heavy......like a nice porter = Smuttynose Robust Porter
-New York Style.....foldable pizza - I'm thinking Amber or strong Lager = Great Lakes Nosferatu
-Chain (Domino's, Papa John's, etc) - need something cheap and light to go along with the cheap/light pizza - Miller Lite, Bud.

-Thin crust, designer pizza - This is where the IPA's come in. When you want to go all-in on the trendiness of the IPA's and don't want to get caught eating something that a Californian hippie wouldn't touch. = He'Brew Hop Manna IPA.......because Bell's hasn't been the same since it went all mainstream. Oh, and don't forget that it's gotta be gluten-free.....you beatnik, left-wing, free-spirit

I like a pilsner or lighter-bodied lager when eating thinner crust pizza. Miller Lite is acceptable too. In college I was a Bud Light guy, but now I can't drink that crap. Miller Lite all the way.

Deep dish pizza - not necessarily a stout, but I'd go with a full-bodied IPA.

If I were able to pick a single beer for all pizza - Michelob Heavy - the original. Loved that beer.

little_kings.png

Miss the Weidemann's in the stubby bottle

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT