ADVERTISEMENT

Any Soccer Fans...

One of the things that really drew me into the game was the fact that it's a running clock and no commercial breaks.

I love basketball games but the end of games can take forever with teams fouling and calling timeouts that then lead to commercials.

When I go to UK football games I hate the referee with the red hat that stops the game flow for TV timeouts.

- Team scores a TD and after the extra point - commercial. Then after the kickoff here he comes for another TV timeout.

- What really kills me is when it's 4th down at the end of a quarter and the team lets the clock run out and there is a commercial break between quarters. That's ok. Then the team punts and after the play is over here comes that a-hole with the red hat for another tv timeout. YOU JUST HAD ONE 30 SECONDS AGO! :uzi:

Not with soccer. Game starts - 45 minutes or so later it's halftime. Then 2nd half begins and 45 minutes or so it's over. I love that.

Just watch whatever on Saturday mornings or maybe match of the day recaps, eventually you will develop an affinity for some team or another by style of play or whatever other reason. Or follow a team with an American player like Howard for Everton. Or look in to club history some of them are pretty interesting how they formed in 1800s what they were like during world wars etc.

Great suggestions, all of them. I think I'll do a little of the bolded this afternoon, as my post-lunch productivity starts to wane here at work.

I've been wanting to find an EPL squad to start rooting for, to give me a viewing interest. It's really hard to just pick one out of the blue though. Would still like to start watching more.

Nothing wrong with just watching a league and finding a team that piques your interest. I became a Spurs fan when they had Friedel (from Ohio), Bale, Modric, and Van Der Vaart.

Reactions: BigBlueSean
Tottenham Hotspur is by far the best team name lol. I however am an Arsenal fan. I just got into heavy recently and I wanted to pick a team with history, but wasn't just a bandwagon Chelsea/ Man U/ FC Barca. Arsenal has one of the most rabid fan bases in the world and while we have had our success, its kind of sporadic. We tend to win the league once or twice every decade but remain pretty relevant. We have struggled a tad since we lost Thiery Henry, but we are on our way back. Arsenal and Arsene Wenger really invest in youth development, which I love. Kid played against Wolfsburg and he was I believe barely 18.... Jeff Reine-Adelaide and he absolutely killed it...he could start for our US team.

The exciting thing right now is Arsenal is pursuing Karim Benzema (who in all of soccer has accounted for more goals via assist/own goals outside of Messi and Ronaldo). He tweeted this morning "The past is now the past, time to embrace the future" and did not travel with Real Madrid to China and has no plans of rejoining. I think and PRAY he is headed our way. Tough to turn down 38 million which is crazy because Arsenal isn't know for spending that kind of money. You pair him with the rising star Alexis Sanchez and Giroud as well as Ozil and that could be an EXTREMELY fun team to watch and a legitimate threat to take down Chelsea.

Im not sold on Man U's moves. Bad decision in letting Van Persie go along with Di Maria. Bastian is good but he cant stay healthy. I like the Schinderlin (sp?) move. To me they didn't improve or get worse. Their losses kindof cancelled out their additions. Still need someone to compliment Rooney, especially if Benzema ends up in North London.

IMO Chelsea is gonna be tough to dethrone. The won it going away last year. But IF Arsenal can add Benzema to go along with elite GK Petr Cech, they could make it interesting and you can never count out Man U.

The thing that helped me the most is when I learned the system and how everything works. Its confusing at first, but I love the Relegation/Promotion aspect.... I also love that the season lasts nearly 9 months.

I don't know if he will catch on right away but Memphis Depay is going to be a STAR for Man U. As Much as it hurts to admit.

NBC Sports ran several programs last year introducing you to all the teams and giving a little bit of background on them. I'm sure they will do the same leading up to this season.

In reading up on this year's EPL clubs, I noticed Bournemouth has been promoted for the very first time. Promoted to League One after the 2009-10 season, promotes to the Championship after the 2012-12 season and then won the Championship title last season.

Looks like a vacation town on the coast. Their stadium only seats 11,700 - a baby compared to the other clubs. My interest has been officially piqued by The Cherries. Has anyone followed their run over the last 5 years?

11,700 seats?

Swansea will not have the smallest stadium in the BPL next year! Liberty Stadium holds 20,827.

That's another thing I like is reading up on all the stadiums. Just a completely different style of build than what you are use to here. A lot of history in some of them too.

Emirates Stadium looks pretty sweet....I wanna go one day...holds 60,500

Emirates-Stadium-designed-by-Populous-%C2%A9-Simon-Warren1-990x465.jpg

Emirates-Stadium-London_1280_x_800.jpg

Emirates_Stadium_-_East_side_-_Composite.jpg

In reading up on this year's EPL clubs, I noticed Bournemouth has been promoted for the very first time. Promoted to League One after the 2009-10 season, promotes to the Championship after the 2012-12 season and then won the Championship title last season.

Looks like a vacation town on the coast. Their stadium only seats 11,700 - a baby compared to the other clubs. My interest has been officially piqued by The Cherries. Has anyone followed their run over the last 5 years?

It's always pretty tough for a newly promoted club to stay up but Bournemouth might just be able to do it. They scored a TON of goals in the Championship last season. Should be pretty fun to watch.

Reactions: BigBlueSean
Here is Fox Sports' broadcasting schedule of the Bundesliga through the first 7 weeks of the season. Not bad but I wish more Schalke games were going to be shown on FS1 and FS2.

http://mobile.philly.com/blogs/?wss=/philly/blogs/thegoalkeeper/&id=319497851&
Thanks!

I believe the first broadcasted Schalke game this season on Fox will be played up in Bremen. One of these days during a home game in Gelsenkirchen at Veltins, I may see my son and his uncle Andre in the crowd.

Thanks!

I believe the first broadcasted Schalke game this season on Fox will be played up in Bremen. One of these days during a home game in Gelsenkirchen at Veltins, I may see my son and his uncle Andre in the crowd.

That would be cool! I like to have a team to root for in each of the big leagues and Schalke have always caught my eye in the Bundesliga. The atmosphere in Veltins is always top notch. The ultras and tifo's in Germany are 2nd to none.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Hate that Fox is pushing some games to Fox Soccer Plus - I don't get that. Still should not have a problem being able to find a good game to watch on the weekends.

NBC Sports - Premier League
Fox Sports - Bundesliga
Bein Sports - La Liga, Seria A, some English Championship games
FOX Sports & ESPN - MLS

Plus being able to watch games before College and NFL games start is a great way to start the weekend.

They take a month long winter break in the Bundesliga correct?

So the real question is, when I ditch cable, can I get all of my soccer over the internet? Sports (especially soccer) are the only reason I have cable

Yeah, but for anything other than the Premier League you might have to use some dodgy streams. The easiest way to get PL games is to find a buddy who has NBC Sports Live Extra and get him to let you log in to his account. You can watch all matches live on your computer, phone or tablet.

So Arsenal with a nice win today. Of course afterwards all eyes were on Mourinho and Wenger. Did not shake hands (twice) and then Mourinho tossed his runner up medal in the crowd. [roll]

Reactions: O-Ville_CAT_FAN
Have season tickets to Louisville City FC. Will not be happy until it goes MLS.

... will be interesting to see Schweinsteiger at Man U and Vidal at Bayern

I was falling in and out of sleep but I saw the goal by Ox. Pretty nice. I'm surprised Chelsea didn't score. I'll have to catch the replay when it's on.

The real thing starts next weekend! Nothing like Premier League Matchdays.

How is that Louisville FC? Fun games to watch? Do they play at Louisville Slugger field?

I love it, I'm not gonna lie. Went to the first game because I thought it'd be different and ended up turning into a legit fan. I wish Lexington had a team and we could make a pretty bad ass rivalry. Used to hate sports during the summer because baseball has gotten so boring, but it fills the void.

This team is really good too. They are 2nd in the USL East as a franchise team and 2nd in overall attendance. Slugger Field really is a great venue.

I love it, I'm not gonna lie. Went to the first game because I thought it'd be different and ended up turning into a legit fan. I wish Lexington had a team and we could make a pretty bad ass rivalry. Used to hate sports during the summer because baseball has gotten so boring, but it fills the void.

This team is really good too. They are 2nd in the USL East as a franchise team and 2nd in overall attendance. Slugger Field really is a great venue.

Season ticket holder as well. Agree on all points. Can see us getting a MLS team.

Have been to Columbus twice to see the Crew. Had a great time, great atmosphere there with the supporters sections. Would love for Louisville to get an MLS team, that would be a perfect spot for MLS expansion, btw.
Follow Everton in the EPL due to Howard and Donovan's two loan stints.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
Have been to Columbus twice to see the Crew. Had a great time, great atmosphere there with the supporters sections. Would love for Louisville to get an MLS team, that would be a perfect spot for MLS expansion, btw.
Follow Everton in the EPL due to Howard and Donovan's two loan stints.

What is old Landy Cakes up to these days?

I really want to get up and check out a Louisville City game. Everything I've heard has been positive about the experience & they are playing very well right now.

Agree about Lexington getting a team, that would be great & closer for me to get to.

Anybody heard anything about LCFC's stadium situation? Doesn't the USL want all teams to be in soccer specific stadiums by 2020?

I really want to get up and check out a Louisville City game. Everything I've heard has been positive about the experience & they are playing very well right now.

Agree about Lexington getting a team, that would be great & closer for me to get to.

Anybody heard anything about LCFC's stadium situation? Doesn't the USL want all teams to be in soccer specific stadiums by 2020?

USL says it's their goal to have all teams be primary tenant of a stadium by 2020. Read earlier today though that Reno is signing on to the USL to also play in a baseball ballpark, so Louisville won't be alone there. The ownership of the team wants out of Slugger Field regardless though because of high costs and lack of revenue from things like concessions, which they are not collecting at Slugger Field.

Only news that has broke in regards to a stadium was the suggestion it will be west of 9th street, which is an area the city wants to rejuvenate (and that is cheap). Who knows with that though....

Last edited:
Reactions: Kentucky Bandit
I was just looking over the USL stats and Louisville City is in the top 5 of almost every single category! It's so awesome how well they are doing in their first season. I still haven't made it to a game but I watch all I can on youtube. Fondy is a beast, I really like Dacres and Rasmussen as well. Will be interesting to see how this roster carries over from season to season and if anyone gets a chance with a bigger team.

I was just looking over the USL stats and Louisville City is in the top 5 of almost every single category! It's so awesome how well they are doing in their first season. I still haven't made it to a game but I watch all I can on youtube. Fondy is a beast, I really like Dacres and Rasmussen as well. Will be interesting to see how this roster carries over from season to season and if anyone gets a chance with a bigger team.

I compared their attendance to orlandos who moved on to the MLS and it was I positive.

There was a rumor and a news report that Cincinnati is getting a USL team. That would be a great rival for Louisville.

In my dream world, MLS expands to about 40 teams with an American and National League. 20 teams in each league that don't play until MLS Cup.

Since I started watching the BPL I've been interested in promotion and regulation. I know it will never happen in the US - Owners will not want to spend a lot of money and not be in the top level league - but it would be interesting.

Get up to 60 MLS teams and have MLS I, MLS II, MLS III with promotion and regulation between the three.

Speaking of the BPL worried for Swansea ahead of their trip to Stamford Bridge to face Chelsea. Feel like Mourinho will want to put up a big win to get over that Arsenal loss. At the same time it seems like Chelsea is not the same team without Costa and he might not play - but probably will.

I say play the Champions League games in the US. Better yet, just co opt their teams.

Since I started watching the BPL I've been interested in promotion and regulation. I know it will never happen in the US - Owners will not want to spend a lot of money and not be in the top level league - but it would be interesting.

Get up to 60 MLS teams and have MLS I, MLS II, MLS III with promotion and regulation between the three.

Speaking of the BPL worried for Swansea ahead of their trip to Stamford Bridge to face Chelsea. Feel like Mourinho will want to put up a big win to get over that Arsenal loss. At the same time it seems like Chelsea is not the same team without Costa and he might not play - but probably will.

Personally, I hate pro/rel. I think it's outlived its usefulness in the day and age of moneyball in European soccer. That's one of the reasons I actually prefer MLS to other leagues. Is the quality as good? Hell no! But at least you don't have the same four teams (one in Germany) winning the title every year. I'm a Spurs fan but I hate knowing that the best they can hope for is a miracle year to make the top four.

Sorry. I had to have a rant there.

I can understand your position Morehead. I can see what you are talking about because since I have started following the BPL in 2011 the champions have been Man City, Man U, Man City, Chelsea. In fact the last 10 years those three have been the only teams to win titles.

It's crazy how much they can spend though.

The NPSL championship will be here in Chattanooga this weekend. I try and go to most of the home matches- its decent soccer and cost like $5. They actually get really good crowds. About 10k last weekend and probably a bit more than that for the final. For sub-division soccer its a great atmosphere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT