ADVERTISEMENT

Doug Gottlieb talks Mark Pope

Do you feel better now because most people have gotten over the shock and their anger is gonna throw their support behind Pope but a few of you guys want to keep being curmudgeons just go ahead

This is a tired strawman.

As I said numerous times I'm absolutely going to support pope and hope he kills it.

The egregious mishandling of the process is altogether another issue.

This is a tired strawman.

As I said numerous times I'm absolutely going to support pope and hope he kills it.

The egregious mishandling of the process is altogether another issue.
If you think this is a strawman argument, then you don’t know what a strawman argument is, but I totally agree about the way. Mitch did the process. It was utter complete bull crap the way he did it.

I keep seeing his x and o coaching over and over. Ok great but that's only part of the job. And apparently it only applies to offense.

Also I don't want to hear about Hubert and scheyer. But for a miracle run Hubert is a disaster. He'll prove that out in the next few years. Scheyer massively underperformed given the talent. So they are far from the shining examples. Even despite having Jordan and Nike in their respective corners.

Furthermore for the few times this type of hiring actually works, there are 10 examples of how it didn't.

He might do well but there are way too many questions to warrant him being that high on the list. And he damn sure shouldn't be getting paid what we're paying.
Can you elaborate on the we're paying?
Are you speaking in relative terms?

If you think this is a strawman argument, then you don’t know what a strawman argument is, but I totally agree about the way. Mitch did the process. It was utter complete bull crap the way he did it.
Is it possible that we, not Mitch assumed the desire to be the next coach was more wishful thinking than reality?

Reactions: KYFOSSIL
They absolutely were not happy how Mitch went about it. I'm not even close to some basketball insider. So if I know this, it isn't exactly a secret.

Because it's objectively a waste of money that could be better put to use in other ways.
As you said, very little of that comes from the University. Also, we were prepare to give Hurley twice what Pope is getting, so I don't think it's an issue. Well, other than for you.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Pitino seems absolutely giddy over this. As do his former players that I’ve seen comment on it.

I think he’s long wanted back in the BBN family, but that wasn’t gonna happen as long as Calipari ran the show. For Cal to not only leave, but be replaced by one of Pitino’s favorite former players? That’s like his dream scenario come true.
This is what I have been wanting. Getting back to what makes Kentucky Kentucky. We're going to hopefully see more and more former players around the program. There are serious good vibes right now around the program if you are the type of fan who values things like that. This is all a breath of fresh air and the loss of Cal is quickly in my rearview.

Not even close. Hubert is backed by mj and scheyer by Nike.

Cmon now

And they aren't even successful given the talent. So if that's the best comparison, it isn't encouraging.

How about Dan Hurley? Before UConn he was at Wagner and Rhode Island. He missed the tournament 5 times, made the NIT once and the Big Dance twice making it to the Round of 32. Would you have hired him at that point in time?

How about Dan Hurley? Before UConn he was at Wagner and Rhode Island. He missed the tournament 5 times, made the NIT once and the Big Dance twice making it to the Round of 32. Would you have hired him at that point in time?

I see this thrown around a lot. Also see people saying rupp was a highschool coach lol.

Hurley is an extreme exception. For everyone with that resume that succeeded, there are a 1000 that didn't.

Plus when UConn needed a new coach, they didn't have a blank check. They hired a good coach with a good pedigree for a reasonable price.

Speaking of - do people realize we are paying Pope twice what Hurley made last year? Lol only Mitch.

I see this thrown around a lot. Also see people saying rupp was a highschool coach lol.

Hurley is an extreme exception. For everyone with that resume that succeeded, there are a 1000 that didn't.

Plus when UConn needed a new coach, they didn't have a blank check. They hired a good coach with a good pedigree for a reasonable price.

Speaking of - do people realize we are paying Pope twice what Hurley made last year? Lol only Mitch.

Hall was promoted from being an assistant. His critics were many. The chat boards would have crucified him.
Sutton was successful at Arkansas but he nearly destroyed the program.

Pitino had one great year at Providence (FF) but otherwise not impressive. He was terrific for us.

Tubby was darn good at Tulsa and Georgia. Did well with Pitino's players but very little afterward. Finally flopped out at High Point.

Billy G looked good prior to UK but was a complete and total disaster at UK.

Cal had success before he was hired and great success at UK until the last 4 years. The wheels fell off.

I am not sure if there really is a blueprint for hiring a successful coach.

credit card debt GIF

Pitino seems absolutely giddy over this. As do his former players that I’ve seen comment on it.

I think he’s long wanted back in the BBN family, but that wasn’t gonna happen as long as Calipari ran the show. For Cal to not only leave, but be replaced by one of Pitino’s favorite former players? That’s like his dream scenario come true.
100% agree!

Hall was promoted from being an assistant. His critics were many. The chat boards would have crucified him.
Sutton was successful at Arkansas but he nearly destroyed the program.

Pitino had one great year at Providence (FF) but otherwise not impressive. He was terrific for us.

Tubby was darn good at Tulsa and Georgia. Did well with Pitino's players but very little afterward. Finally flopped out at High Point.

Billy G looked good prior to UK but was a complete and total disaster at UK.

Cal had success before he was hired and great success at UK until the last 4 years. The wheels fell off.

I am not sure if there really is a blueprint for hiring a successful coach.

Hall was 50 years ago. Pitino was good with the Knicks, which everyone conveniently leaves out. Pitino and cal were both no brainer home runs.

We didn't have this time which is why I advocated for pearl. Pearl would've been no less than bet good. Plus he lasts maybe five years and gives a clear choice time to emerge.

You don't massively overpay for a massive risk.

The biggest difference in a Hubert/Scheyer situation is they were groomed as long-term assistants when they took over. However, Mark Pope became a head coach well before any of these guys did and in year one in the Big 12 was able to beat Kansas, Baylor, Texas, Kansas State, NC State, TCU and Iowa State as well as a great game with Houston. Things I did not realize at first on top of the restrictions on student-athletes at BYU that impacted the players that would be willing to come. All of that out of the window now with a large NIL pool to work with.

Reactions: preacherfan
Not a huge fan of Gottlieb, but I've been listening to mainly KY pundits talk about it. I wanted to step out and listen to someone else.

He brought up some good points, like the fact that Duke and North Carolina both have coaches that are head coaching for their first time.

Now even he admits that this is a bit different as they were a successor and they have a past head coach in the wing. However, I think Pitino is going to be more involved than we think, which I welcome.

Recruiting is, of course, a consideration, but he has the KY brand behind him and I think Pitino is going to be a great advisor for him.

I'm honestly getting excited. Worried and ticked the first night, but now we have a Kentucky boy that knows and loves this school, and possibly a hall of fame head coach giving advice that loves this school.

Thoughts on his comments?

I’ve been watching Gottlieb on Field of 68 the last year and he was very fair to the Cats honestly. So was Goodman for some reason. I said the same thing about Duke and UNC and I think that’s why they didn’t try to poach a coach. We just witnesses how hard it could be.

I keep seeing his x and o coaching over and over. Ok great but that's only part of the job. And apparently it only applies to offense.

Also I don't want to hear about Hubert and scheyer. But for a miracle run Hubert is a disaster. He'll prove that out in the next few years. Scheyer massively underperformed given the talent. So they are far from the shining examples. Even despite having Jordan and Nike in their respective corners.

Furthermore for the few times this type of hiring actually works, there are 10 examples of how it didn't.

He might do well but there are way too many questions to warrant him being that high on the list. And he damn sure shouldn't be getting paid what we're paying.
Ul is looking for some fans like you. We’ll see you now, hear.

Nonsense. You pay someone what it takes and nothing more. He's overpaid by double. Pope would've accepted for at least half this money. Maybe less. Only Mitch would pay double for a stretch hire.

Also it isn't exactly a secret done boosters are not pleased. The school only pays 400k of that contract and the rest is a combination of donations and marketing deals. At least some of these fund sources are not happy about Mitch going rogue and spending this much on a reach.
You have no clue about that stuff. Just stop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT