ADVERTISEMENT

A relatively small stipend is holding up Z's approval by NCAA

As far as a lawsuit wouldnt Z himself have to bring it? Uk cannot on his behalf (as far as I’m aware of) now of course they can get him the best lawyers pro bono. But him not being a us citizen does he even have a legal avenue to pursue? He’s on a student visa, right? And this isn’t impacting his ability to be a student so I’m not sure if he has anything legal to pursue.

As usual screw the NCAA

If this is the case, and I've no doubt that it is 100% accurate, because it makes perfect sense, considering it's the NCAA we are talking about here......

so if this is the case, it is beyond laughable, it's criminal, a direct positive sign that the NCAA has a vendetta against Cal / Kentucky. I really don't know what you would need to show something as absolute PROOF of that being the case, and I don't particularly care for conspiracy theories.

Just mind numbingly stupid, outrageous. I mean, this kid's CAREER is quickly being derailed by the NCAA.

I'd just go ahead and move on if I were him. That is surely what the NCAA would love to see happen so this would all just go away for them.

Total travesty, a true shame for the young man.

I hope every single future potential player coming to the NCAA looks at this result, real carefully, as part of the process to decide to even play basketball at this level.
and to think the NCAA used to advertise being for the "student" athlete. What a joke the NCAA has become.......

If Barnhart had any balls he'd already threatened with lawyers. Shouldn't ever drag out this long
yes sir, do it the "Carolina way".........isn't that what Dickie V used to say when he was bragging about how squeaky clean UNC & Deans Smith were. Then it all came out how much of a cheat they were & Dean was right in the middle of it

The NCAA is acting against its charter. They have become an overt enemy of UK and foreign players who want to play at UK.

Its amazing that they still get to behave like this in anonymity. That simple issue needs to end, now.

Kentucky lawmakers need to require any governing body, like the NCAA, to operate in complete transparency. Better yet, they need to make these targeted attacks against any Kentucky schools and/or players. In simple terms, Kentuckys legislature needs to make this behavior criminal.

It would end, immediately.

Some of you need to pay attention. UK admitting Z was over a bogus English class. The NCAA has zero to do with that class.
Weird, I feel like you may need to pay attention. The person I quoted stated that Cal has tried to spin this as a failed English exam issue for months and I asked for proof of him doing so.

As far as a lawsuit wouldnt Z himself have to bring it? Uk cannot on his behalf (as far as I’m aware of) now of course they can get him the best lawyers pro bono. But him not being a us citizen does he even have a legal avenue to pursue? He’s on a student visa, right? And this isn’t impacting his ability to be a student so I’m not sure if he has anything legal to pursue.

As usual screw the NCAA
Valid points I think!
What is the rule he appears to have violated? Non-amateur status because he was paid a stipend?
What grounds does he have to seek legal remedy?
I feel for the kid and UK in this situation.

I can't help wonder why seeking the legal angle hasn't happened?

Barnhart sucks as an AD. He still wants to be part of the NCAA cocktail circuit, so playing hardball would ruffle too many feathers.

Ivisic has been wronged by this situation, and considering the current state of NIL and "amateurism," it is far more egregious than what they did to Kanter. There are few actual "amateurs" in upper division college basketball right now. How many players are millionaires from NIL collectives acting as thinly veiled pay-for-play schemes?

We need to bring the NCAA down and fire everyone working in Indianapolis. It is time to start over and rethink how college basketball should look to keep up with the future of the sport.

Reactions: Smashcat
Disclaimer - I can't stand the NCAA and think it is a terrible organization and the major conferences should just go independent for the major sports.

That being said, I'm still amazed by all the outrage and accusations from people who actually have no relevant facts of the situation. We know he played professionally, and Cal mentioned something cryptically about a stipend. That's all we know. How can we be so sure that the NCAA is actually screwing over the kid and UK?

Cal said the stipend was too much (kind of). Even if that's a ridiculous rule, if it's actually the rule and his stipend was too high, then he's not going to be eligible. And how did UK not already know he'd accepted a stipend that was too high before bringing him over?

So that makes me wonder how we can be sure that UK didn't already know it was a long shot and they just got him over here to earn NIL, give our 7 footers another body to practice against, and give Cal another draft pick?

Reactions: JFCats22
Disclaimer - I can't stand the NCAA and think it is a terrible organization and the major conferences should just go independent for the major sports.

That being said, I'm still amazed by all the outrage and accusations from people who actually have no relevant facts of the situation. We know he played professionally, and Cal mentioned something cryptically about a stipend. That's all we know. How can we be so sure that the NCAA is actually screwing over the kid and UK?

And how can we be sure that UK didn't already know it was a long shot and they just got him over here to earn NIL, give our 7 footers another body to practice against, and give Cal another draft pick?
Stop with your logic. We need more conspiracy theories instead of reasonable thoughts!

There has been more than ample time to make a decision. At some point in time prior to mid/early October 2023 his connection to any pro/semi pro ended. It would seem to me that there would be no new development or new information relevant after that date certain. How long was he a member of the team in question? It is a finite time frame. What benefits did he receive? A stipend infers money to cover expenses. This isn't rocket science nor is it some complicated economic calculation that would require a team of IRS tax lawyers to sort out.

It isn't as though the NCAA has thousands of cases to review. It isn't like an in game review where a call is made and we go to the monitor for a review. He is either eligible or he is not, how much time does it take to figure out that 2+2= 4?

Reactions: rivercatinfl
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT