ADVERTISEMENT

A relatively small stipend is holding up Z's approval by NCAA

A couple hundred dollars is holding up Big Z’s eligibility

On that note, Calipari addressed the 7-2 elephant in the room with Kentucky in Zvonimir Ivisic. Arriving back in October, the freshman forward has yet to hear a final answer on his eligibility from the NCAA now 14 games into the regular season, going on 15.

And now we know why, the most specific answer we’ve heard on his case up to this point.

“We have one we’re waiting on,” Coach Cal said of Z. “He made a stipend and you’re saying it was too much of a stipend? Juniors in high school and seniors in high school are making hundreds of thousands and you’re talking about his $200? A stipend $200 too much or $300, whatever it was? We’ve got to move with the times and what’s going on right now.”

**** THE NCAA

Reactions: bbncal02
Kanters was around $26,000 and he never cashed the checks.. He kept them in case they made a big deal of it to give back and still fckd him over..

Exactly. He and his parents kept the money in a separate bank account and never used a cent of it. His father actually said they knew he might want to play college ball so they didn't want to use those funds so he could retain eligibility. He wanted to go to college. Offered to pay multiple charities or anything the NCAA wanted him to pay to so he could become eligible. But the NCAA said no and deemed him a pro. Guess they had to use all their available resources to clear Marvin Bagley in a 2 week time frame. I'm just glad they care so much about the student athletes.

I don’t believe cal. I just can’t get with anything he says. He’s known the dude was a long shot from the get go. Just win games that’s all I’m saying. Make a stinkin March run. Z at this point he might cost us some games trying to get him in. We roll with what we got now plus adou.

The beggining of the end for the NCAA has already begun. And they continue to remove any doubt whether it should be buried forever.

Reactions: Fox2monk
May be wrong, but I read that as $200 too much, not the stipend being $200.

Either way, doesn’t change the fact the NCAA sucks.
Not sure what Calipari meant... but I believe that Stipends are allowed both here in the US and also for overseas players. Supposed to only cover "room and board" and travel expenses.

Ok NCAA, so is it an issue or not? Make a freaking decision. As dumb as it would be to deny a kid playing in college over 200 damn dollars, it’s even DUMBER that they’re apparently still just sitting back and saying “hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…”

Just tell the kid if he can play or not. Jesus.

Reactions: FFWhite
May be wrong, but I read that as $200 too much, not the stipend being $200.

Either way, doesn’t change the fact the NCAA sucks.
I read it the same. That's why I asked earlier where it said per week.

And if makes a difference if that actually means $200 too much each time it was paid.

And then Cal throws in at the end that it might be $300. He's a real wizard at deception.

Sounds to me like someone at UK either didn't do the proper vetting, or UK knew all along this was the case (this is my guess) and they were either trying to argue him in or have a different agenda altogether - like a well paid NIL practice player for our bigs.

Last edited:
I don’t believe cal. I just can’t get with anything he says. He’s known the dude was a long shot from the get go. Just win games that’s all I’m saying. Make a stinkin March run. Z at this point he might cost us some games trying to get him in. We roll with what we got now plus adou.
Cal has little to do with this. Logically, when he spits out actual numbers, he isn’t lying or tip-toeing. But whatever.

Cal has little to do with this. Logically, when he spits out actual numbers, he isn’t lying or tip-toeing. But whatever.
Well he said $200, but then at the end he said maybe $300? So he's not sure or being deceptive?

Also doesn't say anything about how the frequency of the stipend or how long received.

Finally, it's not real clear whether that's the whole stipend or the amount over.

Not sure how that jives with your definition of not lying or tip toeing.

I read it the same. That's why I asked earlier where it said per week.

And if makes a difference if that actually means $200 too much each time it was paid.

And then Cal throws in at the end that it might be $300. He's a real wizard at deception.

Sounds to me like someone at UK either didn't do the proper vetting, or UK knew all along this was the case (this is my guess) and they were either trying to argue him in or have a different agenda altogether - like a well paid NIL practice player for our bigs.

Not sure what Cal and UK knew or didn’t know or what their agenda is, but it is INSANE the ncaa would hold out any player at this point for being paid.

Saying this guy can make millions, but that guy can’t make thousands is just ridiculous. Kids are getting paid all over the place. Just read that Mikey Williams owns a multi million dollar home and he’s out there shooting at people. He’s still going to play…

So an American kid can make millions while trying to kill people…all good. A foreign UK player gets paid a stipend and it’s stop the presses. Asinine…

A couple hundred dollars is holding up Big Z’s eligibility

On that note, Calipari addressed the 7-2 elephant in the room with Kentucky in Zvonimir Ivisic. Arriving back in October, the freshman forward has yet to hear a final answer on his eligibility from the NCAA now 14 games into the regular season, going on 15.

And now we know why, the most specific answer we’ve heard on his case up to this point.

“We have one we’re waiting on,” Coach Cal said of Z. “He made a stipend and you’re saying it was too much of a stipend? Juniors in high school and seniors in high school are making hundreds of thousands and you’re talking about his $200? A stipend $200 too much or $300, whatever it was? We’ve got to move with the times and what’s going on right now.”

Hahaha this is exactly the type of thing I’d guess the NCAA would hold up.

• Wow
Reactions: runt#69
Suing them will definitely not allow Z to play this year since it will take months to settle which is why UK is playing it by the book. Regarding the stipend, the NCAA requests details on what stipends are supposed to cover. Getting that info from teams in foreign countries who do not want to cooperate is probably the holdup.

Just pay it back and get to play? I mean come on.
These idiots can't be for real. Seems like a huge disparity in treatment for Z given what HS players are making. Good grief.

How does he get this resolved if not by paying it back? I guess the answer is he won't get to play for us due this asinine situation.

Exactly. Telling me the free gear given to aau kids doesn't amount to that much?

But that's ok because it comes from shoe companies.

The real irony is the NCAA just changed it's rules to make it easier to recruit foreign players. Wow thanks. Too bad UK can never get any eligible

Reactions: rivercatinfl
Whoever was assigned this review of Z at the NCAA is likely a grad of a school like IU, UL, KU, UNC, UCLA, Puke or Tennessee. Back when Emmert oversaw the Kanter comedy, we all knew that the cause was Emmert from Washington being pissed that Kanter reneged and chose UK. So he used his power in the NCAA to screw Kanter and UK as payback.

This situation, however, makes no sense. The NCAA has all but been nonexistent these last few years, but now they step up and hold back this kid from playing college ball for TWO HUNDRED BUCKS?!?!
Emmett may no longer be there with his hate of UK,…. but his people (those he hired with his same bias or that he indoctrinated) are still there.

Yes, the NCAA does suck and are hypocritical on so many levels.
And once again Calipari and or the UKAA has tried to spin this as an English test issue for months.
I understand keeping health issues from the fanbase.
I do not understand obfuscating and concealing about something like this from the beginning.
And some of you seem bewildered why many of us don't care for Cal anymore.
I grow tired of constantly being lied to about stuff there is no reason to lie about.
I guess in a few weeks we will find out it's a lot more than what they are stating now.
2 different issues entirely. The English test that you mention had nothing to do with eligibility and Cal never claimed it did. The English test was a hold up by UK admissions for him to be able to enroll in school. NCAA eligibility is a totally separate issue.

Reactions: FFWhite
So a player from another country that try's to play for UK does not have the opportunity to make any money??? But kid's born in America can make whatever they can from anyone and be eligible to play in college!!!! Seems like the NCAA has a bias... That represents being a hypocrite and liars to anyone that has no brains to listen.... NCAA is trash and has been for 50 years..... Time for them to close shop and let the presidents from the schools come up with a new way to govern the sports team's, because they need to make a new way to steal money from parents and tax payer's to foot the bill's...
Now that the kid's have a say in how much money they can make the NCAA has no reason to exist.... I am tired of this sick organization taking advantage of these kids... Lock them out!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Grow some balls presidents and do what is right for everyone involved...

GBB
Its because they are usually on a school visa. Oscar went through this. He had to do his NIL stuff in the bahamas.

Reactions: westerncat
Well he said $200, but then at the end he said maybe $300? So he's not sure or being deceptive?

Also doesn't say anything about how the frequency of the stipend or how long received.

Finally, it's not real clear whether that's the whole stipend or the amount over.

So because Cal isn’t telling you every tiny detail about this case (who knows what he can talk about with NCAA privacy rules), he’s the bad guy?

There’s PLENTY we can all be upset about with Cal over the past several years, but this isn’t really one of them.

So because Cal isn’t telling you every tiny detail about this case (who knows what he can talk about with NCAA privacy rules), he’s the bad guy?

There’s PLENTY we can all be upset about with Cal over the past several years, but this isn’t really one of them.
Context. I was replying to someone who said he was being open and honest. I'm not upset about it at all.

If this is the case, and I've no doubt that it is 100% accurate, because it makes perfect sense, considering it's the NCAA we are talking about here......

so if this is the case, it is beyond laughable, it's criminal, a direct positive sign that the NCAA has a vendetta against Cal / Kentucky. I really don't know what you would need to show something as absolute PROOF of that being the case, and I don't particularly care for conspiracy theories.

Just mind numbingly stupid, outrageous. I mean, this kid's CAREER is quickly being derailed by the NCAA.

I'd just go ahead and move on if I were him. That is surely what the NCAA would love to see happen so this would all just go away for them.

Total travesty, a true shame for the young man.

I hope every single future potential player coming to the NCAA looks at this result, real carefully, as part of the process to decide to even play basketball at this level.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
If this is the case, and I've no doubt that it is 100% accurate, because it makes perfect sense, considering it's the NCAA we are talking about here......

so if this is the case, it is beyond laughable, it's criminal, a direct positive sign that the NCAA has a vendetta against Cal / Kentucky. I really don't know what you would need to show something as absolute PROOF of that being the case, and I don't particularly care for conspiracy theories.

Just mind numbingly stupid, outrageous. I mean, this kid's CAREER is quickly being derailed by the NCAA.

I'd just go ahead and move on if I were him. That is surely what the NCAA would love to see happen so this would all just go away for them.

Total travesty, a true shame for the young man.

I hope every single future potential player coming to the NCAA looks at this result, real carefully, as part of the process to decide to even play basketball at this level.
Agree with all. He will never play at UK Kanter 2.0

Mickey Williams committed to UCF, I just saw where they are trying to get him eligible immediately. If he gets eligible before big z than that just shows how ridiculous everything is

Suing them will definitely not allow Z to play this year since it will take months to settle which is why UK is playing it by the book. Regarding the stipend, the NCAA requests details on what stipends are supposed to cover. Getting that info from teams in foreign countries who do not want to cooperate is probably the holdup.
There have been other cases where a judge has issued an injunction declaring a player eligible while case is decided

I know you’re looking for a slap fight and I just can’t help ya out, man. Apologies.

Reactions: ganner918
I know you’re looking for a slap fight and I just can’t help ya out, man. Apologies.
Don't care about fighting. But if you think he's being completely honest, you're wrong. And I don't expect him to be completely transparent. No other coach would be at this point.

2 different issues entirely. The English test that you mention had nothing to do with eligibility and Cal never claimed it did. The English test was a hold up by UK admissions for him to be able to enroll in school. NCAA eligibility is a totally separate issue.
Oh look, yet another new screen name pops up to defend Calipari. He and or the UKAA lied by omission. If you can't pass an English competency test you aren't eligible to be fully enrolled. On top of that Calipari prattled on about food sickness for weeks with nary a mention of stipends. That's called deflection. There is no reason for me to even believe their couple hundred dollars claim now. Just more spin and trying to deflect our anger towards the ncaa.

Last edited:
Oh look, yet another new screen name pops up to defend Calipari. He and or the UKAA lied by omission. If you can't pass an English competency test you aren't eligible to be fully enrolled. On top of that Calipari prattled on about food sickness for weeks with nary a mention of stipends. That's called deflection. There is no reason for me to even believe their couple hundred dollars claim now. Just more spin and trying to deflect our anger towards the ncaa.

Surprised to read conspiracy theories from a guy named after Bigfoot. You listed at least 4 in one paragraph 😂

I'm over the Z thing at this point. For his sake, I hope he gets cleared. For the team's sake, he'd just be another skinny tall dude to push around down low this year. I don't feel like his addition really fills any holes we have.

IMO, you play him now and then sue them afterwards. No way the NCAA wins the suit.

NCAA-Finger.gif
Have to agree. We have college kids pulling in 6 figures at placea, football teams getting brand new trucks for a season, etc and THIS is what they’re are worried about. They’re really going to cite amateurism and **** over a kid.

Time for UK to sue the crap out of them.

It’s been reported that the team he played for has been fully cooperative. This is the NCAA being anti UK. Again. How many times do we have to do this song and dance for parts of our fan base to wake up to the fact there is a very REAL hate out there for Kentucky.

And you don’t sure for only Big Z. You sue so that the next kid that want to come to this country to make a better life by coming to play for Kentucky doesn’t get screwed over. You do it to protect your recruiting.

The whole thing is asinine. Some paper pusher is getting their rocks over screwing over a kid. It’s sick.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT