ADVERTISEMENT

Now is when Cal should guarantee a starting position

ukfan1622

Junior
Jan 15, 2021
To Big Z(only conditional on him working hard). It's in UK's interest and Big Z's interest and should be an easy sell...get paid late first round or 2nd round money for 4 years or get a similar amount in NIL and
be a lottery pick after next year.

I don't mean a guarantee for all year no matter how you play, like Edwards for example. I mean your positon to lose. Yours to start with but you have to outplay the other guys at your position to keep it. I believe that kind of guarantee to a returning player is a common thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: JonathanW
To Big Z(only conditional on him working hard). It's in UK's interest and Big Z's interest and should be an easy sell...get paid late
first round or 2nd round money for 4 years or get a similar amount in NIL and
I’d rather him guarantee Omoruyi a starting spot.

The only thing you contribute to this board is insults. The only reason you come here
is to be an ahole to people and I know that so piss off.
Wrong again. You're at least 0-2 in this thread. Maybe 0-3.

Facts are sometimes wrong but I was not wrong; that was my genuine opinion on your character based on the posts I've seen from you.
You seriously think it's a good idea to guarantee a starting spot? Yes or no?

Z would start regardless for just about any D1 team in America. Unfortunately for Z (and us) cal is one of the few coaches in today’s game that has no idea to how use him to the betterment of his skill set. Z will be a square peg that cal will shove through a round hole all year. For Z’s sake I wish he would transfer away from cal as I would love to watch Z ball out somewhere next year to see his true potential. Not happening under cal.

You seriously think it's a good idea to guarantee a starting spot? Yes or no?
I'm happy to engage in real talk instead of just insults so I'm happy to answer your question.

I think it's perfectly acceptable for a coach to tell a returning player he'll be the starter
when practice begins but if he gets outplayed by his backup he'll lose the position.
I also think coaches tell potential returning players that all the time and there is nothing wrong
with it. All potential returning players need to know how they fit into the coach's plans.

I most certainly would not make any guarantees of starting or playing time to freshmen.

I'm happy to engage in real talk instead of just insults so I'm happy to answer your question.

I think it's perfectly acceptable for a coach to tell a returning player he'll be the starter
when practice begins but if he gets outplayed by his backup he'll lose the position.
I also think coaches tell potential returning players that all the time and there is nothing wrong
with it. All potential returning players need to know how they fit into the coach's plans.

I most certainly would not make any guarantees of starting or playing time to freshmen.
That's not a guarantee, though.

Z would start regardless for just about any D1 team in America. Unfortunately for Z (and us) cal is one of the few coaches in today’s game that has no idea to how use him to the betterment of his skill set. Z will be a square peg that cal will shove through a round hole all year. For Z’s sake I wish he would transfer away from cal as I would love to watch Z ball out somewhere next year to see his true potential. Not happening under cal.
So true. Cal tried to plant his ass in the paint after the Georgia coming out party. Not his game at all. But we saw the same thing with Skal. Cal didn’t know how to use him either.

• Angry
Reactions: TM2013 and cathouse
To Big Z(only conditional on him working hard). It's in UK's interest and Big Z's interest and should be an easy sell...get paid late first round or 2nd round money for 4 years or get a similar amount in NIL and

I don't mean a guarantee for all year no matter how you play, like Edwards for example. I mean your positon to lose. Yours to start with but you have to outplay the other guys at your position to keep it. I believe that kind of guarantee to a returning player is a common thing.
Makes sense so CCC won't consider it. That's how he operates, do exact opposite of what is obviously best for the program. He's more likely to start Wagner every game to rub it in our faces while he gets paid to lose.

My point is that is why I called out the original post. When pressed, you admit a guarantee isn't a good strategy.
I start a thread to start a discussion and I'm not one of those people who get triggered by the word "wrong" or by being wrong so all my opinions are subject to change.

What I meant really was a guarantee of being the presumed starter but you always should have to earn it to keep it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT