ADVERTISEMENT

••OFFICIAL KENTUCKY VS GEORGIA GAME THREAD••

Yes, because that is the mindset Cal instills. When you are coached to not be aggressive offensively this is what happens. Cal will never change. Ever. We lost an undefeated season because of his unwillingness to change. He has to be the most stubborn human alive.

What? lol.

We GOT to an undefeated season up until that point because of what he did lol.

What's lost in all this, is what if Kentucky tried those last 10 minutes at 100% and someone got injured? We won the game with 10 minutes left. I PREFERRED that we took our foot off the gas. It's January. lol.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I feel like this team can be good defensively when they are engaged. They played pretty well on that side of the ball in the first half. They just played so lazy on the defensive end in the 2nd half. Cal has to find a way to get maximum effort out of them even when we're blowing a teams doors off. I still had fun today and am happy with the win. Big Zs debut was exciting.
Dominant offensive teams can be of the "try on defense only when necessary" ilk. UNC in 2008 and UF in 2007 are two such examples. To and extent, the 2012 Kentucky team was like this. See the 1st round game against WKU as an example.

That's the only rosy point I could take from Georgia's layup line in the second half. Maybe it was easy because we didn't have to try.

Cal hasn't had a top defensive team since 2019. Porous defending is kinda his thing these days. If we are to win, we will have to score and score a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: blubo and Fox2monk
Shep's lack of effort at a point when Georgia was making a comeback is beyond lazy. It looked like he didn't care because the game was over. Totally unacceptable.
Dillingham went 1-6, had 3 turnovers and didn't come to meet the ball on that pass when Tre got the rebound and passed it to him and the UGA player stole it to cut the lead to 9.

Reed had a few mistakes too, but nothing like Dilly.

DJ played pretty good.

Our defense at the end was terrible. Big Z is our best rim protector, and Cal had him on the bench to end the game. Edwards was another liability too.

Far too many people here don't understand that UK checked out with 10minutes left.

I would not put any stock into what we did from then on. We got to 89 points and were up by like 25-30. We were packing our bags.
You’re correct
They did
I still believe a large part of that was officiating though. Even so should keep fighting..

Dude, you have a raging hate hard-on for Reed don't you? Good Lord.
Only you would make such a statement. It was just a few games ago that I was accused of being too much of a Shep fan. Well, I call it just the way I see it. Shep doesn't play as well as he did early in the season and I have called him out for it. If you don't like it, that is your problem because there is nothing you can do about it.

You’re correct
They did
I still believe a large part of that was officiating though. Even so should keep fighting..

There's merit to that. But WITH that officiating, maybe the team just wanted to get out of there. I'm a big believer in the notion that whatever teams is healthiest to end the season, has the best chance. That more so applies to football. But we've seen injuries derail us at UK. I'm glad that UK not only won by minutes 30, but then was smart to take their foot off the gas and not risk injury.

Whistle happy refs. 1 of those on Z was legit.

The other one was bullshit. And I’m ok with Cal getting that one for those shitty ass officials.
The elbow was just retaliation I'm sure after he got hurt. He wasn't gonna put up with it and that's great! We have 15 fouls at that position.

People want to know why we are rated where we are in the metrics. The end of this game is exactly why.

This is an extremely good team. A possible title contender. But again we are continue to hover around the lines. It's hard to move up in the NET when you are just performing as is. You need to beat UGA by 20.........25 which is where we were at most of this game.

Dillingham went 1-6, had 3 turnovers and didn't come to meet the ball on that pass when Tre got the rebound and passed it to him and the UGA player stole it to cut the lead to 9.

Reed had a few mistakes too, but nothing like Dilly.

DJ played pretty good.

Our defense at the end was terrible. Big Z is our best rim protector, and Cal had him on the bench to end the game. Edwards was another liability too.
If today is a little example of what Big Z can do playing in his first game, he is clearly the best player on this team and it isn't even close.

Reactions: catben
You’re correct
They did
I agree. But UGA isn’t a bad team and when they get every call they’re gonna catch up. We also let down as well and played some stall ball.

People want to know why we are rated where we are in the metrics. The end of this game is exactly why.

This is an extremely good team. A possible title contender. But again we are continue to hover around the lines. It's hard to move up in the NET when you are just performing as is. You need to beat UGA by 20.........25 which is where we were at most of this game.

That's fine, but this is exactly why metrics can't be trusted. We are much better than whatever the defensive metrics say about us tonight. If we wanted to hold them to 75, we could have.

Good thing metrics won't mean dick when we're a 1 or 2-seed.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
some dumb turnovers the last few minutes. out of sync. And the T on Z for the dunk.,,u knew that was coming, but what a debut performance! Loved it.

I’m legit pissed, that game was so fun and the refs totally made it absolutely a BS game. I’ve never seen anything like those last 10 minutes.
Idk, reminded me a little of Wednesday night. These Cats are supremely confident they can turn it on at will. Could be their only weakness unless it's true of course. SEC refs haven't changed much really.

If Virgina wins by 7 or 8 while scoring 58 points, no one cares, if UK scores 105 and their opponent scores 90+, people start freaking out. A different kind of winning.
It matters because we nearly gave up a 30 point lead in 3 or 4 minutes because we started acting like it was an NBA all-star game.

Reactions: JFCats22
That's fine, but this is exactly why metrics can't be trusted. We are much better than whatever the defensive metrics say about us tonight. If we wanted to hold them to 75, we could have.

Good thing metrics won't mean dick when we're a 1 or 2-seed.

But are we?

I mean at some point when the defense continues to blow massive leads maybe we are what we are. A top 5 offensive team. A fringe top 50 defensive team. And possibly a 10-15 ranked overall kind of team.

The really good teams don't let up like this. Maybe we'll get better.

If Virgina wins by 7 or 8 while scoring 58 points, no one cares, if UK scores 105 and their opponent scores 90+, people start freaking out. A different kind of winning.

And guess which team is one of the biggest under-performers come March? If not for the basketball gods (and maybe a bit of the NCAA helping create a storyline), UVA doesn't get that bounce back title. Felt like the universe handed it to them after being the FIRST 1-seed to ever lose to a 16-seed.

Offense only teams might not win much in March.. but neither do defense-only teams.

And the last few title winners were certainly more offensive driven.

We could have probably scored 125 points today. Not sure if that's good for this team though. Not sure what lesson can be made from this game minus Zvonimir can really play.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
But are we?

I mean at some point when the defense continues to blow massive leads maybe we are what we are. A top 5 offensive team. A fringe top 50 defensive team. And possibly a 10-15 ranked overall kind of team.

The really good teams don't let up like this. Maybe we'll get better.

Dude, it's pretty clear we checked out. Now, maybe we can ask "Will they check out in a game that isn't quite over?".. fair to ask. Maybe we will.

But we simply didn't try those last 10 minutes.. AND this was a huge officiating screw job, which often doesn't happen outside the SEC. The metrics for tonight will be deceiving.

Idk, reminded me a little of Wednesday night. These Cats are supremely confident they can turn it on at will. Could be their only weakness unless it's true of course. SEC refs haven't changed much really.
You are correct and I will add this. This team doesn't appear capable of handling a lot of success at this point. Hopefully they will be there by March. If Georgia earned the comeback, you simply tip you hat to them; however, we were just clowning around.

Dude, it's pretty clear we checked out. Now, maybe we can ask "Will they check out in a game that isn't quite over?".. fair to ask. Maybe we will.

But we simply didn't try those last 10 minutes.. AND this was a huge officiating screw job, which often doesn't happen outside the SEC. The metrics for tonight will be deceiving.

It's of course possible we did check out. Massive leads usually teams do let up

But honestly I haven't seen anything from this defense to make me think in a close tournament game when we need back to back stops, we can get them.

It matters because we nearly gave up a 30 point lead in 3 or 4 minutes because we started acting like it was an NBA all-star game.
But that's why it shouldn't bother people as much as it does. The team checked out entirely, playing even a modicum of defense and we win by more.

Make no mistake, I want us to play hard till the end, but UGA scoring as much as they did is more so because UK let them than it was UK being broken down on effort D.

I also have to imagine UK is a top3 offense after tonight.. if not THE top offense.

This isn't just some top15 offense.. it's at THE top. And it was done with a pretty tough schedule so far.

Reactions: jameslee32
I have zero doubts in this teams ability to put the ball in the hoop. The massive amount of weapons we have is unreal.

But there will be a time where we are trailing late and cannot afford the trading of baskets. There will come a time the defense will need to make crucial stops.

It's of course possible we did check out. Massive leads usually teams do let up

But honestly I haven't seen anything from this defense to make me think in a close tournament game when we need back to back stops, we can get them.

Oh I'm 100% sure we checked out.

And Im not saying our first 30 minutes of defense doesn't need work, it does. I'm just saying, the eye test that I use tosses those last 10 minutes out. Gun to Cal's/Player's head to play for all 40 minutes? Georgia doesn't reach 75.

This game will drop us say 15 spots.. when in reality, it should only drop us maybe 5. (numbers might be off, but you get the point). We aren't THIS bad at defense.

Reactions: MidseasonTweak
But that's why it shouldn't bother people as much as it does. The team checked out entirely, playing even a modicum of defense and we win by more.

Make no mistake, I want us to play hard till the end, but UGA scoring as much as they did is more so because UK let them than it was UK being broken down on effort D.
Championship caliber teams don't check out of games until it is over.

Like, Golden State Warriors took their foot off the gas in PLENTY of games in their run. Players like Tatum and Brown got pulled last week because they were getting blown out by 40pts. Nobody looks at the final score or possessions of those games, and gives it any relevance.. because at the end of the game, players weren't in or were checked out,

You have to apply a little bit of that here.

Thing is relying on one side isn't the best chance to win in March.

Alabama came into today with the best offense in terms of points per possession. They played UT and only score 71 points in 77 possessions today.

They didn't have the defense to make up for that.

Like, Golden State Warriors took their foot off the gas in PLENTY of games in their run. Players like Tatum and Brown got pulled last week because they were getting blown out by 40pts. Nobody looks at the final score or possessions of those games, and gives it any relevance.. because at the end of the game, players weren't in or were checked out,

You have to apply a little bit of that here.
Yep. When we played Kansas and lost, our team played with a lot of effort till the end. The result just wasn't a win.

It's human nature to check out up big.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT