ADVERTISEMENT

ZONE

Go

Go back and watch the Wisconsin game again and get back with me. Playing nothing but man in that game cost us dearly. Booker got destroyed repeatedly on bad switches. As for the 2012 title team, we had Davis to erase mistakes all other players made. We funneled drives to the basket for Davis to clean up. We don't have that and haven't had it since then.

Think about 2014. We go zone at the end of the 1st half of the title game against Uconn and cut their lead from 15 to 9. Then we proceed to never zone again for the rest of the game. Why?

Playing some zone in the UConn title game would've also very likely won us another title. Once again, we had trouble keeping their guards out of the paint.

Reactions: BoxterS
Again, I've never called for us to be a zone dominant team. Far from it. We're always going to rely on man defense as long as Cal is here. I've just stated many times that we also need to be able to play zone when our man defense isn't working. I've seen it too many times before when it's cost us games. Tall, long teams sometimes have trouble manning up against shorter, quicker teams. A zone can help offset that. Plus, being able to switch up defenses can keep opposing teams from getting into an offensive flow. It's hurt our offense many times in this manner.

Tyler was but ONE player on that roster. We had one of the tallest and longest teams in the history of college basketball that year. He wasn't even a starter. Your response is moronic beyond description.
Many of you lament that Tyler wasn’t in at the end of the game. You can’t have it both ways. Bottom line Cal isn’t perfect. But the hate and consistent bitching you, 43 and others show on here 24:7 365 is deeply pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good teams destroy zones. That's why good coaches hate to have their teams play it. When they do, it's because their teams can't defend or a key player is in foul trouble and they will use it to protect that player from fouling out of the game.
Exactly that is why Self used Junk defenses to beat us the last 2 seasons esp 2 years ago at Kansas. Self at halftime looked shell shocked. Refs took Willis and Poythress out of the game with bs calls then self went to the gimmick defense to stop Murray! Did pretty much the same thing. Last year to stop Fox and Monk at rupp. I hate gimmick defense its the ultimate admission that I can't beat you straight up. I don't mind a zone it's not quite the admission saying i can't beat u straight up plus we all know this team will be scary man to man by March so the zone to win games where experience is killing us so we aren't hurt in seeding. I think if Richards continues to be able to improve the zone helps with foul trouble inside so that could be big too

I’m sure you are an expert at being a moron so I’ll defer to your professional opinions. Many of you lament that Tyler wasn’t in at the end of the game. You can’t have it both ways. Bottom line Cal isn’t perfect. But the hate and consistent bitching you, 43 and others show on here 24:7 365 is deeply pathetic.

There's the big disconnect right there. You just summed it up perfectly. You called our posts "hate". Nothing could be further from the truth. But this is valuable insight as to why this board is so defensive and frankly, appalled when Cal is critiqued or questioned. The board sees it as hate. Why? It's hate to ask why zone isn't used more? Look, you seem like a bright dude. I'm not sure what kind of IQ you have, if it's high, low, or average. But surely you understand the difference between hate and objectivity.

Reactions: BourbonBalz
I’m sure you are an expert at being a moron so I’ll defer to your professional opinions. Many of you lament that Tyler wasn’t in at the end of the game. You can’t have it both ways. Bottom line Cal isn’t perfect. But the hate and consistent bitching you, 43 and others show on here 24:7 365 is deeply pathetic.

Well, you continue to impress. Point out ONE time I've gripped about Cal. The ONLY thing I've ever pointed out is his refusal to play any zone. Yes, others on here bitch and moan about everything, but I'm not one of them. Get your crap straight before calling others out.

Cal does not play zone because it simply does not prepare you for NBA. I don’t like 100% zone but it can change the tempo of a game. Not playing zone againt UConn and Wisconsin cost us both games as another poster stated. Cal is about players first. Some of you have not figured it out.

There's the big disconnect right there. You just summed it up perfectly. You called our posts "hate". Nothing could be further from the truth. But this is valuable insight as to why this board is so defensive and frankly, appalled when Cal is critiqued or questioned. The board sees it as hate. Why? It's hate to ask why zone isn't used more? Look, you seem like a bright dude. I'm not sure what kind of IQ you have, if it's high, low, or average. But surely you understand the difference between hate and objectivity.
Fair enough but I don’t believe you or wild cat for life are generally objective. The posts about whether a zone would or would not work are speculative.

Fair enough but I don’t believe you or wild cat for life are generally objective. The posts about whether a zone would or would not work are speculative.

Pretty much everything posted on message boards is speculative. People post their opinions on their team's performance, things they'd like to see, etc. Isn't that why we're here?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT