ADVERTISEMENT

ZONE will NOT fix our issues

Originally posted by FlCATFan:
Citing Syracuse as a reason not to use the zone is just silly. I don't think anyone is advocating using a zone defense all game, every game. But as an occasional tool to throw at the other team for a few possessions during a game can be a very effective tool. It can disrupt the offensive flow of the other team.It can force the other team to adjust their offensive strategy. And it can force the coach of the other team to spend practice time preparing for a zone.

UK sees as much zone as it does precisely because it is perceived that the Cats are stronger in the paint than on the perimeter. But there were periods in the A&M game were the Aggies were absolutely dominating in the paint. Specifically in the first few minutes where A&M outscored the Cats 20 to 4 in the paint. And IMO the only reason UK didn't win in regular time against A&M is because the Aggies used an incredibly effective zone the last few minutes of the game.

I truly appreciate what Cal has done for UK and wouldn't want any other coach. But that doesn't mean he is perfect or that he doesn't occasionally need to change his strategy. Nor should it mean that he should be immune from criticism.
You mean disrupt the same way running a full court press as opposed to man, or deciding to trap or double certain parts of the floor do...yeah, stick with man. All zone does is gives teams a chance to catch their breath.

Fixing our issues:

1. Lrn2offense

That's about it. We're still on pace to be an all time great defense.

The myth of the 2014 title game being lost because of going back to man to man in the 2nd half makes me chuckle. Is that the same half where we held UCONN to 25 effing points? I think it was.

Anyone who wants to argue we lost that game because of D does not know basketball, plain and simple. We had chance after chance to get the lead in that game, and our offense blew chance after chance with turnovers and missing shots, some of them wide ass open ones from 3.

Besides, I thought we lost the title because of FTs? People switch their narratives on here so much to fit their Cal bashing agendas. We lost the title because of 1. WCS being out 2. Poy and Randle not at 100% 3. UCONN hitting everything they put up early on (zone definitely helped us get back in it) 4. Missing some key FTs 5. Never getting the lead, not shooting well overall fro the field as we only scored 23 points in the 2nd half for God's sake.

Losing a game happens for tons of reasons, more than I even listed.

As far as playing zone, if we really need it, then I am sure Cal can play it ala UCONN last year in spots.

And to the one poster who said Cal has been to more Final Fours at UK than Jimmy B at Syracuse. It is actually a 4 to 3 edge for Boeheim in his WHOLE career of 38 (I think) years vs. Cal's 5 at UK. Of course, Cal has a 5 to 4 edge already over his career, no matter what the NCAA says.

Originally posted by WildmanWilson:
Listen people...no one said to play zone every play of every game. Just because we have the number one defense doesn't mean we can't do other things at times to help get a win. I guess A&M didn't get the memo about our defense because they ate our lunch inside with drive after drive. They shot 2 for 15 from the 3. Let them prove they can beat you from up top and stop the thing they are beating you with.

We would have lost this game had they hit a few free throws. They put more field goals in than we did. A zone can work. I've seen it work. Stop acting like its a disgrace to use it at times.
I don't remember defense being the problem. They just shut us down. Practicing against it will definitely help the offense, but outside of the Ole Miss game, which I feel was just a fluke performance by the Rebels, the defense has not been the problem. The only thing on defense that I would change is our bigs coming out so aggressively on screens, regardless of who has the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT