ADVERTISEMENT

Zimmerman to UNLV (for real)

Originally posted by bigblueinsanity:
No inside info but I don't think he was ever a priority target. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he had only a contingent offer.
Lol...be serious. Cal visited him umpteen times and watched him play over and over. He was a PRIORITY target. We just didn't get him. I guess him staying close to home and playing for a mid major is better than him choosing KU or Zona over us.

Actually the red flags were there all along. Glad Zimm has a great relationship with his mom (kudos), but usually with tight knit attachments, they aren't going to be too far from Mother Hen.

Best of luck at UNLV.

What ever happened to Rashad Vaughn as well? Is Zimm going to fall into that black hole? Remember Vaughn was our target before Booker, and we see who that worked out for...

Originally posted by Blueisbest:

Zimmerman goes to UNLV and nobody ever heard from him again.
He's chosen to go into the witness protection program @ Vegas.
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by sluggercatfan:
Originally posted by gracetoyou:
If he chose UCLA I could somewhat understand.

If he chose Arizona I could understand.

UNLV...makes no sense at all. I'd love to hear the line of bull they were fed to buy into a crappy program.
Its HOME AND THAT IS WHERE MAMA IS!!...You an never fault a kid for this...Kids have to do what they think is best for them...
Yea, I would never fault a kid for wanting to stay close to home where his family/friends can watch a lot of his games. He's 18 years old and decided he wasn't ready to travel across the country for college. Nothing at all wrong with this and if people don't understand that, then that's on them and not Zimmerman.

Well crap! Really liked this kids game, but onward and upward he chose to play for the home team.

Circle the wagons, in Cal I trust!

Originally posted by Brando Mac:
Why any big man that has NBA aspirations wouldn't want to play for Cal and UK at this point is beyond me.

Looks like we're going to have to play some small ball next season and do a lot of scoring in transition. This team will struggle in a half-court scheme with our limited amount of shooters and without a true go-to back-to-the-basket post. You can say Skal, but I think it's to his and the teams benefit that he be used more in the Kevin Durant style since that's a lot closer to his natural game than forcing him to be a Boogie Cousins or Karl Towns monster down low.
Aw, nuts. UK has signed the number #1 center in the country and the best true point guard. And a tremendous "glue" wing player. Offense won't be a problem next season. (See the scouting report thread.) I guess it's easy to forget the tremendous lulls in the offense last season and they ran off 38 straight wins.

Originally posted by rabidcatfan:

No inside info but I don't think he was ever a priority target. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he had only a contingent offer.
Lol...be serious. Cal visited him umpteen times and watched him play over and over. He was a PRIORITY target. We just didn't get him. I guess him staying close to home and playing for a mid major is better than him choosing KU or Zona over us.
Cal visits alot of kids. We know he wanted 2 or 3 more. Zimmerman may have been the 3rd; but I think Maker and Newman were the 2 priorities.

I agree with someone above about Zimmerman. I never really saw the major talent there. He has size but seemed extremely thin to be a center. I watched him in the Mickey game. Had he signed with Kentucky, I still wouldn't have been impressed. Maybe I just haven't seen enough of him.

What is crazy is what he was waiting on. Nothing changed at UNLV for him to wait this long to commit to them. Maybe Cal did back off for some reason and we don't quite know why at this point.

Originally posted by rabidcatfan:

Cal visits alot of kids. We know he wanted 2 or 3 more. Zimmerman may have been the 3rd; but I think Maker and Newman were the 2 priorities.
Having priorities is one thing, but thinking that a player like Zimmerman would have a contingent offer at this point in the recruiting process is laughable.

Originally posted by Oboro3:
What is crazy is what he was waiting on. Nothing changed at UNLV for him to wait this long to commit to them. Maybe Cal did back off for some reason and we don't quite know why at this point.
That's really the thing to me.

Matt Jones said he felt good about it for a long time, then it recently changed. Jerry Meyer recently changed his stance. So, all I can guess is Zimmerman was waiting to see what happened with UK, and then something changed his mind.

Laughable? So you think Cal preferred Zimmerman over Maker and Newman?Possible but I doubt it.

Plus as other posters pointed out, if it was UNLV all along; he wouldn't wait this long.

The only other possibility was that KU was his choice until Ellis stayed.

The content of this thread is the exact reason Why myself and many others watched in excitement as Wisconsin beat you guys. Sorry guys Kentucky is not the center of the universe. Say what you want about our past struggles and our conference but our talent and schedule is loaded next year. Trust me you will be hearing and seeing us a lot more next season.

Originally posted by s89103:
The content of this thread is the exact reason Why myself and many others watched in excitement as Wisconsin beat you guys. Sorry guys Kentucky is not the center of the universe. Say what you want about our past struggles and our conference but our talent and schedule is loaded next year. Trust me you will be hearing and seeing us a lot more next season.
Like I give a squirt of donkey pee about what you and others think about UK. I can tell you're one of those "My opinion is important" kinda guys.

Me: "Oh no, I wonder what s89103 thinks about us. Hopefully it's all good because I don't know how I will go on in life if he doesn't approve of us."

Lmao you're team isn't loaded. Your team is a nobody and always will be a nobody. Zimmerman now joins the list of nobody's. It's sad when one of the biggest things your school is known for is its streak of consecutive games with a 3 pointer.

Get off off the big boy board and go back to the irrelevant place you came from.

Lmao you're team isn't loaded. Your team is a nobody and always will be a nobody. Zimmerman now joins the list of nobody's. It's sad when one of the biggest things your school is known for is its streak of consecutive games with a 3 pointer. Get off of the big boy board and go back to the irrelevant place you came from.

I think this is what happened with Zimmerman. He said and thought all along that he would go to the best school in the country as long as all our bigs went pro. He really did want to come here but he was also very nervous and timid about the distance and leaving his mom. So he acted like he would come if they all left because in the back of his mind he thought that surely they wouldn't all leave and it would give him a justifiable reason to then stay at home. Well they all leave, he's surprised, he'd like to go to UK, but the fear of the distance and leaving mom is the ultimate factor and he backtracks and goes to UNLV.

Here's a couple of "worthy to read" tweets:

BTW....those ARE NOT UK fan tweets

This post was edited on 4/17 3:30 PM by gracetoyou

LOL. I literally had to look up the name of your second-rate conference. I knew it had the word 'Mountain' in it, or Coast. Or West. WAC? WCC? MWC? WGAF?

Like every year we'll be "hearing and seeing" you in the days before Selection Sunday when analysts start reminding us that there is such a conference and some of the teams have rolled up gaudy records playing each other, and thus will make the Big Dance, only to disappear in the first weekend and be heard from no more. I'd guess Kentucky has been to the Final Four more times in the past five years than your entire conference has since 1939.

Laughable? So you think Cal preferred Zimmerman over Maker and Newman?Possible but I doubt it.

Plus as other posters pointed out, if it was UNLV all along; he wouldn't wait this long.

The only other possibility was that KU was his choice until Ellis stayed.
Yes, laughable. Again, I am not talking about who he might have wanted more or put as a priority. I am talking about the idea that he gave a contingency offer to the #11 player in the nation. That is what is laughable. We have 8 guys on our roster right now and you think he might have given the #11 player in the nation a contingency offer?

We will have no less than 1 5 star and 7 4 star recruits. I know no one is gonna believe it until it's proven but there is no denying the talent on the team. Also were playing in Maui and have a couple other high profile games where we will be able to show it off early. Enjoy being able to point out how bad we have been lately because it's not gonna last very long.

Man conference affiliation has really hurt Gonzaga, Witchita etc get a better argument. Also Rashard Vaughn is slated about 20 spots above Aaron Harrison on nbadraft.net fyi.

This post was edited on 4/17 4:07 PM by s89103

Originally posted by gracetoyou:
Here's a couple of "worthy to read" tweets

BTW....those ARE NOT UK fan tweets

This post was edited on 4/17 3:30 PM by gracetoyou
I'm pretty sure GregNJ is a huge UK basketball fan. I get your point though.

Umm...greg is a hella UK fan, and also someone I trust and use often. He was a source on TBK for a long time, and one of the good guys from that site.

S89... the only problem is that you guys aren't Gonzaga, and you aren't Wichita State. You had a good run with Johnson, Augmon, etc.

That's the past.

Today, you're irrelevant. Maybe it would be a good idea to wait until your team accomplishes something, anything, before you come spouting of to the fans of the winningest program in CBB history.

Man conference affiliation has really hurt Gonzaga, Witchita etc get a better argument. Also Rashard Vaughn is slated about 20 spots above Aaron Harrison on nbadraft.net fyi.

Their conference affiliation does hurt them. They play nobody after December (much like UNLV) and they pay for it once they get to the tourney. Wichita had the Final 4 team but outside of that team, what have they really done? Unless you follow a team who counts the round of 32 or the Sweet 16 an accomplishment (which it seems like you do), then what they've done in the tournament amounts to a hill of beans.

Ya gotta love a fan of a mid major program thumping their chest over a recruit to UK.
laugh.r191677.gif

It's like the bank losing a dollar and a transient finding it and laughing at the bank.

Oh, and the conference shifts are damaging lots of mid majors, including Memphis/Gonzaga/Wichita and when the shifts happen again(which they will) your teams might not even be part of the major set up. The landscape in the next 50 years is going to change tremendously. And even if mid majors sports teams survive the changing climate, you will have to deal with things like a players association, no major revenue from a power 5, and a blackout on television.

But hey, I think Zimmerman could solve all of that, eh?
roll.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/17 4:23 PM by .S&C.

We went 10-1 in 1977 and Tim Couch was the number 1 draft pick in 1999.

Oh wait...thought I was on the Alabama football board.

We will have no less than 1 5 star and 7 4 star recruits. I know no one is gonna believe it until it's proven but there is no denying the talent on the team. Also were playing in Maui and have a couple other high profile games where we will be able to show it off early. Enjoy being able to point out how bad we have been lately because it's not gonna last very long.
1 5 star? Wow, we only had 5 on the bench this past season. Larry Johnson is not walking through that door.

I was just pointing out the facts Why everyone hates your program and loved it when you lost to Wisconsin. I havent said anything about your team and its place in college basketball, just about the fans. And about the conferences no mid major team has ever fielded a team with this many highly rated recruits. Our conference is mid major but nothing is mid major about our ability to recruit and schedule, facilities, game atmosphere, history etc.

I was just pointing out the facts Why everyone hates your program and loved it when you lost to Wisconsin. I havent said anything about your team and its place in college basketball, just about the fans. And about the conferences no mid major team has ever fielded a team with this many highly rated recruits. Our conference is mid major but nothing is mid major about our ability to recruit and schedule, facilities, game atmosphere, history etc.
Better to be hated than irrelevant.

Trying to remember the last time I went to the UNLV board to talk trash...

We know everybody "hates" our program.

We also know that everyone "hates" the Yankees.

And everybody "hates" Jeff Gordon.

And everybody "hates" the Lakers.

And everybody "hates" Bill Belichick & the Patriots.

And...well you get the idea

Now go on home. You're out of your league here.

:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT