ADVERTISEMENT

Zimmerman to UNLV (for real)

gracetoyou

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
per his twitter
rolleyes.r191677.gif

I wanted him, but he was never a game changer. We need another big.

No inside info but I don't think he was ever a priority target. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he had only a contingent offer.

If he chose UCLA I could somewhat understand.

If he chose Arizona I could understand.

UNLV...makes no sense at all. I'd love to hear the line of bull they were fed to buy into a crappy program.

Might have just wanted to stay home. That's always frustrating but it's hard to argue it.

May have been intimidated to play for an elite program like UK or Kansas. For god's sake, Rashad Vaughn was as well known as any one and done prospect last year, put up excellent numbers, and you could count the times you heard his name from the time he committed to UNLV until his draft declaration on one hand. If he wanted to play ball and vanish, he made a good decision.

Originally posted by bigblueinsanity:
No inside info but I don't think he was ever a priority target. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he had only a contingent offer.
No offense but....really? I firmly disagree. He was a major target.

Oh well...hoping for some good news on Maker

I live in Vegas and not surprised he chose unlv, but Cal is way better coach than Dave Rice and thought he (rice) maybe gone in a year or two. Sure we can land a big and Newman

Better there than somewhere he could be a threat.

Legit 7 footer with great athleticism and good skill, he'll be a player. Wish he was coming here, but best of luck to what seems like a good kid with a good mom.

LoL, yeah sure .

I remember reading from several of the recruiting guys that they believed he was one of Cal's favorite. I hate when our fans act like this.

We missed. Let's not be babies.

I wish him well unless he plays us of course. Zimmerman is a poor mans bj Mullens lol. Only Mullenswas a can't miss player that got drafted 24th overall and his stellar career is going strong in the nbdl.

Really wanted to get the guy, but like others have said, at least he isn't going to Zona or KU! Off to UNLV where he will be in the national conversation as much as Rashad Vaughn!

I never got too invested in this guy's recruitment. I know others did. Wish him well.

Originally posted by gracetoyou:
No offense but....really? I firmly disagree. He was a major target.

Oh well...hoping for some good news on Maker
Definitely grace, he was a major target, to say otherwise makes us all sound like sour grapes, bad form.

Originally posted by Aike:
I never got too invested in this guy's recruitment. I know others did. Wish him well.
Ditto for me.

Figured he'd stay out west. I like his game, but it's not like the he was a must have John Wall-type guy.

I hope he does well at UNLV. Seems like a nice kid.

Originally posted by gracetoyou:
If he chose UCLA I could somewhat understand.

If he chose Arizona I could understand.

UNLV...makes no sense at all. I'd love to hear the line of bull they were fed to buy into a crappy program.
Its HOME AND THAT IS WHERE MAMA IS!!...You an never fault a kid for this...Kids have to do what they think is best for them...

Originally posted by Aike:
I didn't for the longest time.

I think it was around the time of the ESPY's. There story about him texting Cal, then there was a lot of pro-UK vibes.

After the season ended--the momentum seemed to grow, and initially after the guys declared for the draft--seemed like all the buzz was Zimmerman and Newman to UK

Perhaps the most curious thing: To keep saying "let the kid have his moment"

Why do it on Twitter? Why not do an announcement in front of the home town fans? Are you just so frustrated with everyone saying UNLV that you say "f**k it, I'll tweet it."

It really sucks if the internet took the fun out of it for the kid. At the same time, if you knew---why didn't you set an announcement up sooner?

I really enjoy caneintally's posts, but what happened here?

Bet we miss on Newman, too.

I wanted Zimmerman, but he chose the school that he thought was the best decision for him. He decided to stay home. I wish him well unless he is playing kentucky. I hope we can land Diallo, or Maker as a big in this class, but we can survive signing none or even Thorne. I'm more concerned with the wings. I really want at least one of Newman, Ingram, Brown

Originally posted by Cats192:

I remember reading from several of the recruiting guys that they believed he was one of Cal's favorite. I hate when our fans act like this.

We missed. Let's not be babies.
I'm not. It's a guess. I think Cal wants Maker and Newman. The rest were/are backup plans.

This kid is good. Just not elite. Jmo

He is one of the biggest mama's boy I've ever seen. Mommy fought so many Twitter battles for him. That would embarrass the hell out of me if I were him. But no doubt Cal wanted him and he's a huge miss. He's the only big left that could produce on offense. Much rather have him than Maker or Diallo and especially Thorne. I think it's clear that Cal and other coaches were told where he was going a week or so ago. That would be why he started recruiting Thorne at that time. Honestly, people "stealing his moment" is what he deserved if he knew for the last few weeks and didn't announce it. If you wait just to build suspense and string people along then it's fair game.

As for Caneintally. I wanted to ask u before this announcement if you wanted to make a bet? If you were right and we got Zim and Newman then u could choose for me to make my signature whatever you'd want it to say and I'd have to leave it that way until BBM. And if we missed on both then the same would apply to you. We can still do the same for Newman if you're feeling lucky?

Here's a question. We all remember Alex legion, and his mom and her prophecies about UK and how we would win it all with legion there. I also loved her comment about not wanting bcg to destroy his lucrative nba career lol. I know these kids moms go to bat for these kids, in your opinion is it a blessing in disguise that he didn't come to UK? We all know how parents are if their kid isn't getting 40 mins. With simmer and mom being all over social media and involved in everything he does, is it a hidden blessing he didn't land here? We all know some of our fans and how they go off the deep end when we're bashing a kid because he didn't walk fast enough, cheer hard enough, or any other flaw he might have. I think he will be a good player, but with his mom being a social media queen, it owouod take one bad game in which we criticize his flaws. Could criticism possibly played a role in his decision?

Originally posted by Wall2Boogie:
Here's a question. We all remember Alex legion, and his mom and her prophecies about UK and how we would win it all with legion there. I also loved her comment about not wanting bcg to destroy his lucrative nba career lol. I know these kids moms go to bat for these kids, in your opinion is it a blessing in disguise that he didn't come to UK? We all know how parents are if their kid isn't getting 40 mins. With simmer and mom being all over social media and involved in everything he does, is it a hidden blessing he didn't land here? We all know some of our fans and how they go off the deep end when we're bashing a kid because he didn't walk fast enough, cheer hard enough, or any other flaw he might have. I think he will be a good player, but with his mom being a social media queen, it owouod take one bad game in which we criticize his flaws. Could criticism possibly played a role in his decision?
I would like to think criticism didn't play a role in his decision. What those of us on here say about a kid should go in one ear and out the other. The only criticism a player should ever worry about is that coming from his coaches.

I don't think she would have been one to criticize for how Stephen was played or his playing time. But I could definitely see her getting into a HUGE Twitter fight with fans that pick him apart after a few bad games. Lol she'd lose her ish if Stephen got ripped like Andrew did last year.

I was indifferent on Zimmerman from the start. I wish him well, but not too concerned about not getting him.

Why any big man that has NBA aspirations wouldn't want to play for Cal and UK at this point is beyond me.

Looks like we're going to have to play some small ball next season and do a lot of scoring in transition. This team will struggle in a half-court scheme with our limited amount of shooters and without a true go-to back-to-the-basket post. You can say Skal, but I think it's to his and the teams benefit that he be used more in the Kevin Durant style since that's a lot closer to his natural game than forcing him to be a Boogie Cousins or Karl Towns monster down low.

Originally posted by ukfan041:
Really wanted to get the guy, but like others have said, at least he isn't going to Zona or KU! Off to UNLV where he will be in the national conversation as much as Rashad Vaughn!
At least he's no threat to steal a W from UK now.

Originally posted by ZaytovenCat:
He is one of the biggest mama's boy I've ever seen. Mommy fought so many Twitter battles for him. That would embarrass the hell out of me if I were him. But no doubt Cal wanted him and he's a huge miss. He's the only big left that could produce on offense. Much rather have him than Maker or Diallo and especially Thorne. I think it's clear that Cal and other coaches were told where he was going a week or so ago. That would be why he started recruiting Thorne at that time. Honestly, people "stealing his moment" is what he deserved if he knew for the last few weeks and didn't announce it. If you wait just to build suspense and string people along then it's fair game.

As for Caneintally. I wanted to ask u before this announcement if you wanted to make a bet? If you were right and we got Zim and Newman then u could choose for me to make my signature whatever you'd want it to say and I'd have to leave it that way until BBM. And if we missed on both then the same would apply to you. We can still do the same for Newman if you're feeling lucky?
Yet another totally classless post.

Grow up (a lot).

Contingent on who?

What did I tell you. Any time a recruit and their family comes out and denies a recruiting analyst knows where they're going, that's the tell. They just want to preserve their time in the limelight. Otherwise, they wouldn't care.

Zimmerman is seemingly taking the comfortable road, and I get that. Kind of like a potential military recruit getting all clammy the day before he/she signs on for four years of commitment. They look across the table and mom and dad and ask the question, "Do I really want to do this?" Mom and dad look back and nod, "You don't have to do this."

Five star kids who wait this long, however, using social media the entire time to build their name recognition and the hype (particularly those with UK on their list), can't cry wolf when it backfires and virtually everyone locks in on their recruitment post-3 early entries and a 38-1 season.

All eyes were on Zimmerman. He fed the beast, and he can live with it from both sides of the coin. I wish him well.

This post was edited on 4/17 6:46 AM by Son_Of_Saul

ADVERTISEMENT