Votes: 26 12.8%
  • Nate Oats-Alabama

Votes: 37 18.2%
  • Tony Bennett-Virginia

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Frank Vogel-LA Lakers

Votes: 13 6.4%

• Total voters
Was Pat Riley ever a candidate for the hires in the 80s? I know that he was winning championships in the NBA at the time, but given his attachment to the school he would possibly have left at the time...

Out of the above list there are only two worth considering--Tony Bennett from UVA and Scott Drew from Baylor. One of them would definitely come to Lexington. The others are Billy Clyde Gillespie picks.

Reactions: SkyPrince1
Was Pat Riley ever a candidate for the hires in the 80s? I know that he was winning championships in the NBA at the time, but given his attachment to the school he would possibly have left at the time...
Some people believe UK basketball is comparable to the New York Yankees and Lakers, but it’s simply not. We’re the best college basketball team ever overall, but that’s a whole different world from professional sports.

Reactions: Zissou87
The fact that Scott Drew Peterson and Nate Quaker Oats are the two leading the pack as picked by this board tells me everything I need to know about this board in general.

Some look at standings every given year and go "humph, whale them there Baylor Burrs is good this yur, how bout dem Crimson Todd, thems good too"

Last year it was Holtmann...now it is Drew and Oats....who by the way both have incredibly experienced teams and neither have proven Jack crap at the collegiate level.

Now, they may be fine coaches but this is the BCG hire....you don't make it.

Why the hell isn't Fran Drescher McCaffery on the list too? We need the trifecta!

I like Oates because his brand of basketball is exciting and I think with UK backing him he’d become an excellent recruiter. These kids want to have fun and win. That’s what Oates could do with better players. He is quite unproven though.

Have to make a run at Billy, Brad, and Few. Not sure we can offer 9 mil a year out the gate with the buyout and drop in funds from limited fans and no tourney this season (and no tourney last season), but you could certainly explain that and work emphasize Salary increases are on the way.

I want to see what oats does this year in the tournament with a stud team. You get bama to a sweet sixteen or elite 8 and that will be impressive

He’s the head of the program. Happened under his watch.....twice

he’s responsible
Show me the evidence. Show me where the NCAA gave him violations. He turned Camby. The NCAA CERTIFIED Derrick Rose Three times making him eligible to play. What coach wouldn’t have played him? Show me the Cal violation documents. I will hang up and listen.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Show me the evidence. Show me where the NCAA gave him violations. He turned Camby. The NCAA CERTIFIED Derrick Rose Three times making him eligible to play. What coach wouldn’t have played him? Show me the Cal violation documents. I will hang up and listen.

Doesn’t matter. He’s CEO of the program.

He’s responsible for everything that goes on in his program. Happened under his watch. Same thing with Pitino/strippers. Didn’t know but happened in his program

Deal with it

Last edited:
DC for the win...

image.jpg
I like it. I like it a lot. It will never happen, but I like it a lot.
I still say he didn’t send that cash, but what do I know.

Reactions: CatPhight
What a terrible list. None of those choices would excite me as a UK basketball fan. And all of them a downgrade from Cal. This board had lost it’s mind.

Reactions: Rockfly78
Tony Bennett is the best college coach available all things considered.
Neither Beard nor Oates will ever be offered IMO. Don't believe either could handle the off court responsibility of the UK head coach.
Both Donovan and Stevens have been in the NBA long enough that they're probably not returning to the college game.

Mark Pope - nope. Yet to make an NCAA tournament.
Chris Beard - best candidate on the list imo. Don’t know a ton about his personality. Only issue might be the pressure at UK.
Scott Drew - has only made it past the first weekend (lost in the Sweet 16) once in the past 6 years. Needs more NCAA tourney success.
Richard Pitino - nope. 1 NCAA tournament win in his coaching history.
Travis Steele - nope. Yet to have a winning conference record at XU.
Chris Holtmann - nope. Hasn’t made it out of the first weekend yet at Ohio State.
Bruce Pearl - unsure. I like him as a coach...not sure about him as the guy at UK.
Nate Oats - unsure. Too early. Not sure we need to be taking a chance on an up and comer.
Tony Bennett - unsure. His record speaks for itself, but he has been all or nothing to me the tournament. Would get run out of town imo.
Frank Vogel - unsure. How good would he be at make the transition to recruiting (and he’s not leaving the Lakers anyway)
How many of these coaches are 5-12 this year? How many of these have player retention problems like UK, how many start frshman guards every year?? Well I think there are some very good coaches here and would benefit greatly what we offer. We need a coach who can develop players, not 6 months and send them to the place where they learn there craft.

If we were to get a new coach, I hope it is one that understands Kentucky basketball, does not come from the New York area, does not have greasy gangster hair do's, does not cheat, keeps the political BS where it belongs, embraces the fans and wins.
Am I asking for too much?

How many of these coaches are 5-12 this year? How many of these have player retention problems like UK, how many start frshman guards every year?? Well I think there are some very good coaches here and would benefit greatly what we offer. We need a coach who can develop players, not 6 months and send them to the place where they learn there craft.
Step off the ledge. This year sucks, no doubt. We are terrible. We finished the season ranked in the top 10 in 4 of the last 5 years (the other season we we were #18). Cal needs to make some adjustments, no doubt. Half those coaches are a joke..

Reactions: Rockfly78
Step off the ledge. This year sucks, no doubt. We are terrible. We finished the season ranked in the top 10 in 4 of the last 5 years (the other season we we were #18). Cal needs to make some adjustments, no doubt. Half those coaches are a joke..
So you are ok with the last 5 years, getting other teams seniors, freshman who come and leave every year who go undrafted , players who quit playing in December,....what is going to change next year??? We already take a player from WV. I love Calipari as a coach...been to 2 fantasy camps and more...but this dude is NOT changing..

Let’s just all hope .......... Brad Stevens wouldn’t shake my hope. The Calipari experiment has run it’s course

Start your list and then make dudes say NO to UK and $8-10M

Brad Stevens
Jay Wright
Scott Drew has to climb this list now
Mark Few
Billy Donavon

Then if those guys all so No...move to next set of candidates
Dwayne Casey is intriguing to me
Chris Beard
Tony Bennett
If Nate Oats has worked to this level

And go from there.

Out of the above list there are only two worth considering--Tony Bennett from UVA and Scott Drew from Baylor. One of them would definitely come to Lexington. The others are Billy Clyde Gillespie picks.

Scott Drew has been past round of 32 once while at Baylor but okay lol

Aside from coaching acumen, it takes a special personality and Bruce Pearl would eat it up here at UK. His recruiting would catapult to new heights and he plays an exciting style of basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT