Gabriel
Bamba

To start the year, with position rotation:

PG - Green, SGA, Baker
2G - Diallo, SGA, Cam, Baker
SF - Vanderbilt, Washington, Cam
PF - Gabriel, Washington, Bamba
C - Bamba, Richards, SKJ

Basically, a platoon that Cal isn't going to call a platoon and isn't going to wholesale substitute out as a platoon just make sure no one uses the word.

I think Cal is going to be hitting hard on defense early with this team - unlike last year - defense is what will make this team special, and he's got the guys and the personalities he needs to have a defensive juggernaut. Offense will come around.

I expect to see Gabriel come back next year ripped with about 30 lbs of muscle added and beasting. He can do it if he works hard enough. If he doesn't, his arse will ride the bench. Same for SKJ.

A poor man's 2015. Yes they're young, but that is a group of really smart, savvy, hard-working kids. By the end of the year, they'll be a tough out.

Who have we had shoot 40% from 3? LMAO. Come on cuz. Lamb, Booker, Ulis his frosh year, Murray, Monk, Willis (Jr year), Wiltjer, and didn't Knight? And who else? Know there's 2-3 more. Maybe Darius one year? Hell even Poy did his frosh year. But the bottom line is Hami is a superstar who knows he's not known for being a great shooter. He's been working on his shot non stop, and has a really good looking stroke. He's gonna get better and better and better, and I'd bet anything he shoots at a high clip next season.

You cant pay that much attention to AAU or even HS shooting stats. Like I said people didn't think Monk would shoot 40%. Markell Fultz only main weakness was 3pt shooting. He shot 41 at U-Dub this year. Doran Lamb wasn't expected to be a great 3pt shooter. But a lot of guys shoot a higher % in college than in HS.

All those guys were renowned for being respectable to great 3 point shooters coming in. Diallo isn't considered that. That's the difference.

His reputation as a shooter is probably more along the lines of Archie Goodwin's, Marquis Teague's, or even De'Aaron Fox. Capable of hitting an open one, but definitely the weakness in their game. And certainly not 40% 3pt shooters.

Poy did his freshman year because he only averaged attempting 1 a game. With how his career played out, do you think he's a 40% 3pt shooter? His stats show otherwise once you factor in a larger sample size of his soph, junior, and senior seasons.

And ESPN said this under Fultz's strengths in his HS scouting report, "Both his three-point stroke and pull-up game are gradually becoming more dangerous and he's capable of making both and getting into a good rhythm from virtually any spot on the floor."

Don't even have to look up Diallo's profile because I know it says nothing close to that.

LMAO. Almost everybody. That was considered his biggest weakness.....3pt shooting. He just shot 41% at U-Dub. Also. Most people didn't realize how good of a 3pt shooter Monk would be either. The shooters in that class was Fergie, Guy, and Ball.

Fultz was a little shaky from three early in his high school career, but he still shot 32% from three the summer before his senior season. That's nothing like Diallo.

By the time his high school days were finished, Fultz was a 34% career three point shooter, according to the draft express database.

So I think you are mistaken about Fultz. He did improve in college, but he was never terrible and was actually pretty good before he set foot on campus.

You will have to find a better comparison if you want to sell anyone on Diallo jumping 20%.

Reactions: BBN Catz 89
I'm just being real bro. I'm the biggest UK fan you'll see. I'd rather break both my legs than us lose in the tourney, but you gotta be real. Tai will probably never be any count whatsoever, I mean we seen him play a little this year. I'll be 100% real and say what I feel, and what I feel is I hope he transfers to open up another scholly as we'll have a handful of kids returning next year most likely.

Yeah..that's the sad part. You do it on purpose...

Reactions: Aike
Forget about Hami for a second.

Starting lineup First up. Hami is gonna surprise some people with his shooting. People said Markell Fultz couldn't shoot. Look what he just did. Happens every year. Some even said Lamb wasn't a great 3pt shooter. List goes on. Hami's been working non stop on his shot, and I see him picking up where Monk left off as a high volume, high % 3pt shooter. It amazes me he's not getting the credit he deserves. This kid would have been top 10 in this past years class, IMO, the best SG in this class. We're actually gonna have a really good 3pt shooting team.

Quade Green - 11pts, 5ast, 3rbs, 41% from 3
Hamidou Diallo - 15pts, 4rbs, 2ast, 40% from 3
Jarred Vanderbilt - 13pts, 7rbs, 4ast, 1blk, 33% from 3
PJ Washington - 12pts, 7rbs, 1blk, 1ast, 38% from 3
Mohamed Bamba - 11pts, 10rbs, 4blks

Bench

Shai Alexander - 6pts, 3ast, 3rbs, 1stl, 36% from 3
Cam Johnson - 8pts, 5rbs, 2ast, 44% from 3.
Jemarl Baker - 4pts, 2ast, 2rbs, 42% from 3 (IMO. Plays 12ish mins a game, and surprises some)
Wenyen Gabriel - 6pts, 5rbs, 1blk, 34% from 3
Nick Richards - 7pts, 7rbs, 2blks
Sacha Killeya Jones - Odd man out
Tai Wenyard - Odd man out, should transfer, open up a scholly as he's never going to be any good

We're gonna be a long, athletic, great defensive team full of mismatches, but we'll also still be a juggernaut offensively and IMO we'll still be able to put up some big numbers points wise. I think with all the talent we have we'll be, like last year, averaging at or over 90 a game early in the year. I think my predictions puts us at 90 even. completely possible considering the weapons we have. We'll score A LOT of points off offensive rebounds, lobs, and put backs. And we have several guys who can score in multiple ways. This is gonna be a juggernaut team.
You realize that you just predicted us to have possibly the greatest 3 point shooting team in UK history?

We have like 2 1/2 known good shooters on this roster. I'm optimistic that we'll do fine in that department, but you just casually put up a roster with a 38/40/41/42/44% group of shooters. C'mon.

Green, Diallo, Johnson, Vanderbilt, Bamba.

Those are the 5 most talented players on the team and leave no weaknesses to exploit.

Don't know how anyone can think Johnson is a better player in Cal's system than PJ Washington.

PJ is exactly what Cal has been missing for a couple of years, a versatile forward who can play and capably guard 3 positions, score inside and out, handle the ball, and grab a ton of rebounds.

He'll either start or be first man off the bench and play 20+ mpg.

Don't know how anyone can think Johnson is a better player in Cal's system than PJ Washington.

PJ is exactly what Cal has been missing for a couple of years, a versatile forward who can play and capably guard 3 positions, score inside and out, handle the ball, and grab a ton of rebounds.

He'll either start or be first man off the bench and play 20+ mpg.
Yeah Cam is not a starter here next year.He would be the 7th or 8th man IMO . But we could use him as JV's back up for sure but he is not a must get.

Yeah Cam is not a starter here next year.He would be the 7th or 8th man IMO . But we could use him as JV's back up for sure but he is not a must get.

I just do not see Cam picking UK. Not enough minutes.
I predict
Green/SGA
Diallo/SGA/Baker
Washington/Vanerbilt or Gabriel
Gabriel or Vanderbilt(20 minutes each)
Bam or Bamba (we get only one)/SKJ/Richards

I'm kind of thinking Johnson may be a contingency if we miss on Bamba, even though they are completely different players.

If we miss on Bamba, Washington and Vanderbilt will be playing a lot of 4 and there will be minutes at the 3. If we get Bamba, those same two guys are going to have to play a lot of minutes at the 3 to get on the floor.

I just do not see Cam picking UK. Not enough minutes.
I predict
Green/SGA
Diallo/SGA/Baker
Washington/Vanerbilt or Gabriel
Gabriel or Vanderbilt(20 minutes each)
Bam or Bamba (we get only one)/SKJ/Richards

Yes but he also wants to win...

ADVERTISEMENT