ADVERTISEMENT

Your friends' and family's teams.

SemperFiCat

All-American
Mar 2, 2009
Central Indy
Anyone have really close friends and family members that you either:
A) Kinda cheer for because of them, or
B) you are at odds because they are diehards for a bitter rival?

I kinda cheer for Virginia and Purdue due to some of my close Virginia friends, and some co-workers and friends are Purdue fans. So it's fun to team up and dig at the Hoosiers.

My closest cousin is a bit of a UNCheat diehard, but his UofL parents have slowly been converting him over the years. It's all in good fun with him though.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I have three sons :

My 32 year old USED to be a Louisville fan. Even he got tired of being embarrassed by their Shenanigans. Now he only cheers for WKU.

My 30 year old is a die hard Florida fan. He has been so every since he was old enough to watch sports and remember teams.

My 25 year old is a UK fan with me.

We all 3 cheer for WKU and we have season tickets for basketball and football. It is a really great luxury to have living in Bowling Green. We also attend several Hot Rods games a year. Owensboro and other cities other than Louisville / Lexington, do not have the luxury to jump in the car and be at any of the games in 15/20 minutes. Especially enjoyable when WKU has really good football and basketball teams. The Hot Rods have had very successful single A minor league seasons. Several division titles, deep runs in the post season, even a championship.

Owensboro has always tried to compete with BG for the 3rd biggest city in KY. It is a river town with Moonlight, Old Hickory, and a couple other BBQ places. Enjoy ? BG has the mentioned sports teams, Beech Bend Park, A nice drag racing track, kayaking, Old Stone golf course, a couple nice public courses. I never understood why Owensboro hasn't tried to at least attempt to have sports teams (I get it they do not have a D1 college), but there are other sports to pursue. As far as being the #3 city in KY, not even close. My post was not intended to turn into a BG vs Owensboro post, just amazed the lack of sports activities available for a city that size, but more so, happy BG does have so many choices.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Growing up outside of the Cincinnati pro sports market (EKY); I grew up getting the Braves in FSS and Cowboys games (national broadcast in the 90s). A lot of my friends and family are Reds/Bengals fans so I still pull for them secondarily…it’s also the games I went to once every handful of years growing up as it’s technically the closest.

I also have a bunch of Virginia Tech friends now via the Marine Corps as they were I the corps of cadets at VT…spent a decent amount of time in Blacksburg as a result while stationed in Quantico…. So if we take a VA team in the SEC I hope it’s VT

I have three sons :

My 32 year old USED to be a Louisville fan. Even he got tired of being embarrassed by their Shenanigans. Now he only cheers for WKU.

My 30 year old is a die hard Florida fan. He has been so every since he was old enough to watch sports and remember teams.

My 25 year old is a UK fan with me.

We all 3 cheer for WKU and we have season tickets for basketball and football. It is a really great luxury to have living in Bowling Green. We also attend several Hot Rods games a year. Owensboro and other cities other than Louisville / Lexington, do not have the luxury to jump in the car and be at any of the games in 15/20 minutes. Especially enjoyable when WKU has really good football and basketball teams. The Hot Rods have had very successful single A minor league seasons. Several division titles, deep runs in the post season, even a championship.

Owensboro has always tried to compete with BG for the 3rd biggest city in KY. It is a river town with Moonlight, Old Hickory, and a couple other BBQ places. Enjoy ? BG has the mentioned sports teams, Beech Bend Park, A nice drag racing track, kayaking, Old Stone golf course, a couple nice public courses. I never understood why Owensboro hasn't tried to at least attempt to have sports teams (I get it they do not have a D1 college), but there are other sports to pursue. As far as being the #3 city in KY, not even close. My post was not intended to turn into a BG vs Owensboro post, just amazed the lack of sports activities available for a city that size, but more so, happy BG does have so many choices.
Owensboro also has Rompfest

Growing up outside of the Cincinnati pro sports market (EKY); I grew up getting the Braves in FSS and Cowboys games (national broadcast in the 90s). A lot of my friends and family are Reds/Bengals fans so I still pull for them secondarily…it’s also the games I went to once every handful of years growing up as it’s technically the closest.

I also have a bunch of Virginia Tech friends now via the Marine Corps as they were I the corps of cadets at VT…spent a decent amount of time in Blacksburg as a result while stationed in Quantico…. So if we take a VA team in the SEC I hope it’s VT
VaTech and Blacksburg fit the SEC mold pretty well. Great fans, and beautiful area for sure!

I don't really closely follow any sports aside from college basketball, so I just cheer for the Reds, the Bengals, and some of my friends' teams (mainly the Vikings).

Reactions: Fox2monk
Daughter - Packers, Va Tech, ETSU and is a HUGE NFL fan overall. Watches NFL Network while getting ready for work and listens to NFL Radio on Sirius/XM while in her car.

Son in-law - Va Tech, Tennessee Tech, Packers

Grandson - Va Tech, Titans, Celtics, Braves, UT-Chattanooga

Son - Titians, UT, Celtics, ETSU, Pirates

Nieces - Va Tech, Stillers. They usually go to see the Stillers a couple of times a year.

Nephew - UK, Celtics, Stillers

Nephew - Va Tech, NY Giants, Braves, Celtics

Me - UK, ETSU, Fins, Heat, Braves

I got a buddy who grew up in KY but his Dad is from New York so they follow Syracuse.

Moms side of family live in Ohio so they follow Ohio St. in football but some still follow UK in Basketball

My brothers and daughter…UoL
My one brother who died..I will wear the sweatshirt on anniversary of his passing

I kinda cheer for Virginia and Purdue due to some of my close Virginia friends, and some co-workers and friends are Purdue fans. So it's fun to team up and dig at the Hoosiers.

My closest cousin is a bit of a UNCheat diehard, but his UofL parents have slowly been converting him over the years. It's all in good fun with him though.
My friends and family are split among UK. UofL, and Indiana. I cheer for Purdue outside UK because I spent a lot of time visiting my friends there in college and they beat IU which is cool.

Same Braves, Bulls, and Cowboys. All were always on TV as a kid. Plus I mean Michael Jordan.

One of my 3 daughters is a big UK fan. One of the others roots for UL (where did I go wrong). The 3rd daughter doesn't care about sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT