ADVERTISEMENT

Your friends' and family's teams.

SemperFiCat

All-American
Mar 2, 2009
Central Indy
Anyone have really close friends and family members that you either:
A) Kinda cheer for because of them, or
B) you are at odds because they are diehards for a bitter rival?

I kinda cheer for Virginia and Purdue due to some of my close Virginia friends, and some co-workers and friends are Purdue fans. So it's fun to team up and dig at the Hoosiers.

My closest cousin is a bit of a UNCheat diehard, but his UofL parents have slowly been converting him over the years. It's all in good fun with him though.

I have three sons :

My 32 year old USED to be a Louisville fan. Even he got tired of being embarrassed by their Shenanigans. Now he only cheers for WKU.

My 30 year old is a die hard Florida fan. He has been so every since he was old enough to watch sports and remember teams.

My 25 year old is a UK fan with me.

We all 3 cheer for WKU and we have season tickets for basketball and football. It is a really great luxury to have living in Bowling Green. We also attend several Hot Rods games a year. Owensboro and other cities other than Louisville / Lexington, do not have the luxury to jump in the car and be at any of the games in 15/20 minutes. Especially enjoyable when WKU has really good football and basketball teams. The Hot Rods have had very successful single A minor league seasons. Several division titles, deep runs in the post season, even a championship.

Owensboro has always tried to compete with BG for the 3rd biggest city in KY. It is a river town with Moonlight, Old Hickory, and a couple other BBQ places. Enjoy ? BG has the mentioned sports teams, Beech Bend Park, A nice drag racing track, kayaking, Old Stone golf course, a couple nice public courses. I never understood why Owensboro hasn't tried to at least attempt to have sports teams (I get it they do not have a D1 college), but there are other sports to pursue. As far as being the #3 city in KY, not even close. My post was not intended to turn into a BG vs Owensboro post, just amazed the lack of sports activities available for a city that size, but more so, happy BG does have so many choices.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Growing up outside of the Cincinnati pro sports market (EKY); I grew up getting the Braves in FSS and Cowboys games (national broadcast in the 90s). A lot of my friends and family are Reds/Bengals fans so I still pull for them secondarily…it’s also the games I went to once every handful of years growing up as it’s technically the closest.

I also have a bunch of Virginia Tech friends now via the Marine Corps as they were I the corps of cadets at VT…spent a decent amount of time in Blacksburg as a result while stationed in Quantico…. So if we take a VA team in the SEC I hope it’s VT

I have three sons :

My 32 year old USED to be a Louisville fan. Even he got tired of being embarrassed by their Shenanigans. Now he only cheers for WKU.

My 30 year old is a die hard Florida fan. He has been so every since he was old enough to watch sports and remember teams.

My 25 year old is a UK fan with me.

We all 3 cheer for WKU and we have season tickets for basketball and football. It is a really great luxury to have living in Bowling Green. We also attend several Hot Rods games a year. Owensboro and other cities other than Louisville / Lexington, do not have the luxury to jump in the car and be at any of the games in 15/20 minutes. Especially enjoyable when WKU has really good football and basketball teams. The Hot Rods have had very successful single A minor league seasons. Several division titles, deep runs in the post season, even a championship.

Owensboro has always tried to compete with BG for the 3rd biggest city in KY. It is a river town with Moonlight, Old Hickory, and a couple other BBQ places. Enjoy ? BG has the mentioned sports teams, Beech Bend Park, A nice drag racing track, kayaking, Old Stone golf course, a couple nice public courses. I never understood why Owensboro hasn't tried to at least attempt to have sports teams (I get it they do not have a D1 college), but there are other sports to pursue. As far as being the #3 city in KY, not even close. My post was not intended to turn into a BG vs Owensboro post, just amazed the lack of sports activities available for a city that size, but more so, happy BG does have so many choices.
Owensboro also has Rompfest

Growing up outside of the Cincinnati pro sports market (EKY); I grew up getting the Braves in FSS and Cowboys games (national broadcast in the 90s). A lot of my friends and family are Reds/Bengals fans so I still pull for them secondarily…it’s also the games I went to once every handful of years growing up as it’s technically the closest.

I also have a bunch of Virginia Tech friends now via the Marine Corps as they were I the corps of cadets at VT…spent a decent amount of time in Blacksburg as a result while stationed in Quantico…. So if we take a VA team in the SEC I hope it’s VT
VaTech and Blacksburg fit the SEC mold pretty well. Great fans, and beautiful area for sure!

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT