ADVERTISEMENT

Your Favorite Kentucky of all Time

Cobb4uk

Junior
Gold Member
May 18, 2019
Benton, ky
I'm nervously awaiting the big game today, need something to get my mind off the game, that's the reason for this post.

My all time favorite team was Rupp's Runts team that lost in the finals of the NCAA to Texas Western. I was at my Aunts and Uncle's house in Illinois and was so mad we lost I hit her coffe table so hard with my fist it broke it in half, that cost me. If we could turn back or move time forward everyone today would absolutely love that team. They had shooters everywhere along with great passers and plenty of speed. I can only imagine what Dampier would have done from the 3 point line, and with Riley, Conley and Conner great shooters as well. So much for the walk down memory lane, GO CATS BEAT those other cats.

I was 7 and 9 when the 96-98 teams were playing so saying them would feel like cheating.

First thought was the 2012 team and then 2015 but I'll go with 2010 something about watching John Wall, Cousins and Bledsoe putting UK back on the map was special.

Reactions: sdryan2
I'm nervously awaiting the big game today, need something to get my mind off the game, that's the reason for this post.

My all time favorite team was Rupp's Runts team that lost in the finals of the NCAA to Texas Western. I was at my Aunts and Uncle's house in Illinois and was so mad we lost I hit her coffe table so hard with my fist it broke it in half, that cost me. If we could turn back or move time forward everyone today would absolutely love that team. They had shooters everywhere along with great passers and plenty of speed. I can only imagine what Dampier would have done from the 3 point line, and with Riley, Conley and Conner great shooters as well. So much for the walk down memory lane, GO CATS BEAT those other cats.
You are thinking of Tommy Kron, not Conner.

That was the first UK team to captivate me. I kept my own (terrible) stats in a notebook.

I went from casual kid fan to diehard the year before. The last shot of the Duke game was my first of many UK basketball-related emotional outbursts. Both of my parents cried that night. My folks are super fans. I vaguely remember them being sad during probation.

The 93 team had a bonafide superstar In Mashburn, a sharpshooting Kentucky boy, a hot shot recruiting class with several burger boys, a legit big man in JUCO transfer Rodney Dent + a strong supporting cast of guys we’d grown to love over Pitino’s first few seasons. That team had some impressive regular season wins, and an absolutely epic postseason in terms of margin of victory. I was fortunate enough to get to go to the Final Four. I was 12. We sat damn near the roof. I left the Superdome that night a sobbing, crying, snotting mess. I still hate all 5 of the Fab 5.

Rupp’s Runts

University of

But Northern has a special place in my heart. A 16 seed was pure ignorance and probably only because they have Kentucky in the name.

92 team - who can forget the Unforgettables!
98 team - truly a team that was better than the individual players, down goes Puke!
78 team - pressure all year
70 team - Dan Issel, Mike Pratt, Tom Parker who would have won the championship had Mike Casey not been out injured that season

The 1978 title team. I was a freshman and had a front row seat to a team of veteran, skilled players who played a beautiful game of basketball.

Reactions: Indyadolph
I was a Junior in high school. The last time UK had won a championship I was negative 3 yrs old (1958).
That 77-78 season was such a fun year.

"Notre Dame had fun in St. Louis."
Joe B. (at the pep rally the day after the Duke win)

"Something I'm happy about in addition to winning the championship: we won that game on Indiana's home court."
Joe B. (at the pep rally the day after the Duke win)
Clarification for above: the court at the Checkerdome was damaged (water damage, I believe). So Indiana shipped their court to St. Louis for the Final Four.

Reactions: BluPappi81
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT