ADVERTISEMENT

Young is one of the weakest Heisman winners

The worst in my lifetime was Gino Torretta (QB Miami) winning over Marshall Faulk, Garrison Hearst and Marvin Jones. Gino won mostly based on his team's undefeated regular season performance (thanks to Miami's incredible defense). Gino was drafted in the 7th round of the NFL draft which showed his true talent level.
The Heisman is the most overrated award in sports. It is always given to the most hyped player on a top 5 ranked team. I would argue that the Heisman winner is the best player in the country less than 25% of the time.

The Heisman is the most overrated award in sports. It is always given to the most hyped player on a top 5 ranked team. I would argue that the Heisman winner is the best player in the country less than 25% of the time.
Can't disagree with this one bit.

It’s an MVP award. It almost always goes to the best player in the country who also leads their team to national prominence. Bryce Young was the obvious winner. Whatever your gauge is, he had one of the greatest seasons statistically, of any Heisman quarterback ever. Then he caps it off with the amazing Iron Bowl finish and the total destruction of Georgia’s historically unbeatable defense. I mean seriously, what more do you want? He also had the 7th most #1 votes in the history of the award.

Who was your pick?

Reactions: BigTyrone
There's been 14 Heisman winners since 1969 to go No. 1 in the NFL Draft. Obviously, it's not always the best player in football. It's just such a BS offensive award for a top team. I imagine you should be able to put up big numbers when you touch the ball every time, play terrible teams for 80% of the season so yeah, you'll become more showcased by the media than an offensive linemen, a defensive end, or linebacker.

There's been 14 Heisman winners since 1969 to go No. 1 in the NFL Draft. Obviously, it's not always the best player in football. It's just such a BS offensive award for a top team. I imagine you should be able to put up big numbers when you touch the ball every time, play terrible teams for 80% of the season so yeah, you'll become more showcased by the media than an offensive linemen, a defensive end, or linebacker.
You’re right. The SEC sucks lol. Good call.

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
You’re right. The SEC sucks lol. Good call.
Uh it does. It's a top heavy league as usual.

Let's see outside of Georgia, what did Bama's schedule look like

Miami 7-5 (ACC was terrible)
Auburn 6-6
Mercer
Southern Miss
New Mexico State
Florida

Ole Miss and Georgia are their two top wins. Who was Ole Miss's best win? An 8-4 team.

Again, it's a top heavy league with one to maybe, three really good teams and the rest are just like everyone else.

Auburn 6-6
Mercer
Southern Miss
New Mexico State
Florida

Ole Miss and Georgia are their two top wins. Who was Ole Miss's best win? An 8-4 team.

Again, it's a top heavy league with one to maybe, three really good teams and the rest are just like everyone else.
LOL … you can’t be serious.

Reactions: UKat1
It’s disappointing because if there were ever a year to not give this to a QB due to a weak field, it was probably this year.

At least Smith got it last year but the default of “Oh just give it to the QB of a playoff team” is old.

Don’t care about his stats. Young isn’t that good.
You know nothing about football

He sucked most of the auburn game but rallied to win at the end. The msm went all in on his "Heisman moment" which was a pitch down field that was a routine play for decades.

Imo all those guys were incredible college players even if they sucked in the nfl
I did not see all of the Auburn game, but what I saw was a QB often on the run and under blitz pressure. Mason dialed up a great game plan. Not sure many QBs could have handled that.

You know nothing about football
Lol. Go ahead and suck off the SEC and act like Bama is representative of the rest of the conference. It is not.

As usual, this conference was too heavy. Bama, Georgia above everyone. Then no one special including us.

“Know nothing about football” *proceeds to regurgitate the most popular BS promoted by media* 😂👌

“OMG! The SEC could make the nfl playoffs!” - Delusional fans on this board

Last edited:
OPs football knowledge keeps showing itself throughout this post. SEC sucks huh? That must be why the SEC set the record for most bowl eligible teams in one season this year
Lol. There’s so many bowls. Congrats on boasting as a conference cause a team went 6-6 And had conference records of 2-6, 3-5, and 4-4 (Five SEC teams are 6-6). Very impressive.

Lord. You people are clueless.

Lol. There’s so many bowls. Congrats on boasting as a conference cause a team went 6-6 And had conference records of 2-6, 3-5, and 4-4. Very impressive.

Lord. You people are clueless.
So Bryce Young and they SEC sucks and the rest of us are clueless? Lay off the pipe my guy. So what conference is better than the SEC and who do you have going number 1 over Young next year?

Didn’t Charlie Ward win the Heisman and then wind up playing basketball because he didn’t make an NFL roster? I may be wrong about that.

It’s disappointing because if there were ever a year to not give this to a QB due to a weak field, it was probably this year.

At least Smith got it last year but the default of “Oh just give it to the QB of a playoff team” is old.

Don’t care about his stats. Young isn’t that good.
You don't know what you're talking about.....

I did not see all of the Auburn game, but what I saw was a QB often on the run and under blitz pressure. Mason dialed up a great game plan. Not sure many QBs could have handled that.

He struggled bigtime against pressure and when he was forced to move out of the pocket. Lack of depth and the decision by AU to drop into cover cost them that game, well other than Tank running out of bounds.

A Heisman winner shouldn't look that pedestrian under pressure. Of course he had a great game the next week vs Georgia who doesn't like to blitz.

Troll KingofBBBadTakes strikes again….. somebody obviously didn’t watch the last 2 Bammer games
Somebody didn’t watch the last 18 NFL Drafts, or 65 percent of the National Title games since 1997.

And somebody hasn’t been watching the bowl results the last ten, the last twenty, or the last fifty years!!

Reactions: Samurai Cat
It's an awful award. I feel this way just about every year. I stopped watching the ceremony.

My gut feel is because the past winners get votes, and they are mostly from programs that won titles and were usually QBs and RBs they just keep voting on that model of player. A more open-minded group would have voted for Ndamukong Suh in 2009 as he was clear and away the best player that year. Way better than the winner Ingram.

Maybe it's a sign of progress that Hutchinson got second this year, but Young won in a landslide so it doesn't feel that way (684 first place votes to 78 first place votes). Shout out to the 9 voters who voted Jordan Davis first place: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...nner-voting-results/hurt6hj6ikgb1xhblgdip9h96

Suh probably stomped his way out of contention. There were several times on the field where he did sketchy stuff to hurt opposing players. But I agree with your point and he probably wouldn't have won anyway.

It’s an MVP award. It almost always goes to the best player in the country who also leads their team to national prominence. Bryce Young was the obvious winner. Whatever your gauge is, he had one of the greatest seasons statistically, of any Heisman quarterback ever. Then he caps it off with the amazing Iron Bowl finish and the total destruction of Georgia’s historically unbeatable defense. I mean seriously, what more do you want? He also had the 7th most #1 votes in the history of the award.

Who was your pick?
First I never mentioned him specifically but the Heisman award as a whole. Second being the MVP of a nationally prominent team doesn’t mean you are the best player in the country. It is widely recognized as the POY award and should be given to the best player regardless of if his team is top 3-4.

Auburn 6-6
Mercer
Southern Miss
New Mexico State
Florida

You can argue it’s too top heavy but to me one way to see how the rest of the league does is their bowl game record and in the past 10 year the only SEC team with a losing bowl record is Tennessee. So it seems the teams not named Bama or UGA are holding their own.

First I never mentioned him specifically but the Heisman award as a whole. Second being the MVP of a nationally prominent team doesn’t mean you are the best player in the country. It is widely recognized as the POY award and should be given to the best player regardless of if his team is top 3-4.
LOL … now I see why you chose that user name.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT