ADVERTISEMENT

Young is one of the weakest Heisman winners

KingOfBBN

All-American
Sep 14, 2013
It’s disappointing because if there were ever a year to not give this to a QB due to a weak field, it was probably this year.

At least Smith got it last year but the default of “Oh just give it to the QB of a playoff team” is old.

Don’t care about his stats. Young isn’t that good.

Who would you give it to? The cracka from Michigan who racked up a whole bunch of sacks vs. B1G teams?
Sure. Over Young. It’s even less impressive that you can pass against shit competition to a loaded roster of highly-ranked recruits.

Regardless, this year was sooooo weak.

Reactions: KentuckyDC
The worst in my lifetime was Gino Torretta (QB Miami) winning over Marshall Faulk, Garrison Hearst and Marvin Jones. Gino won mostly based on his team's undefeated regular season performance (thanks to Miami's incredible defense). Gino was drafted in the 7th round of the NFL draft which showed his true talent level.

Last edited:
It’s disappointing because if there were ever a year to not give this to a QB due to a weak field, it was probably this year.

At least Smith got it last year but the default of “Oh just give it to the QB of a playoff team” is old.

Young is going to be the number 1 pick next year and has looked very good to me. Think it was a bit of an underwhelming Heisman year all together but to call him not good is kinda laughable. Highly regarded QB recruit who just shredded the best defense in college football. I’d say he qualifies as good

Young is going to be the number 1 pick next year and has looked very good to me. Think it was a bit of an underwhelming Heisman year all together but to call him not good is kinda laughable. Highly regarded QB recruit who just shredded the best defense in college football. I’d say he qualifies as good
I said he isn’t THAT good indicating he’s not the best player in the country. He’s not.

I’d take that bet on him being No. 1. Right now, Mac Jones is the only QB Saban has put in the NFL that looks good.

Reactions: KentuckyDC
The problem is team record has way too much sway in this vote. I'd wager Matt Corral was the most impressive QB thru SEC play but he is not on stage due to Ole Miss record (which ain't bad at 2 losses).

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Young ranks fourth nationally with 4,322 yards passing and trails only Western Kentucky's Bailey Zappe with 43 passing touchdowns. Baker Mayfield threw for 4,340 yards and 41 TDs when he won. Granted, Mayfield QB efficiency was record breaking, but Lincoln Riley also runs a form of the air raid. Matt Corral passed for 3,339 yards and 20 TDs. Corral rushed for just under 600 yards. Seems Young is a deserving winner as a QB.

It's an awful award. I feel this way just about every year. I stopped watching the ceremony.

My gut feel is because the past winners get votes, and they are mostly from programs that won titles and were usually QBs and RBs they just keep voting on that model of player. A more open-minded group would have voted for Ndamukong Suh in 2009 as he was clear and away the best player that year. Way better than the winner Ingram.

Maybe it's a sign of progress that Hutchinson got second this year, but Young won in a landslide so it doesn't feel that way (684 first place votes to 78 first place votes). Shout out to the 9 voters who voted Jordan Davis first place: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...nner-voting-results/hurt6hj6ikgb1xhblgdip9h96

Regardless of how good you really are, it doesn't hurt to have mostly 4 and 5 star players surrounding you. It would be nice to see how good these Heisman winners are if they had to play with mostly 3 star players. Could they still look like the best player in the country? Sort of like how good Josh Allen performed here in that situation, but didn't get a mention in the Heisman voting.

4,000 yards passing and 43 TDs is not weak. He might not be the person who should have won the trophy but he is legit. The problem here is what the award had evolved into. Essentially the award is for the best QB or receiver on the team expected to win the championship. As long as that's the standard for the award then it's pretty meaningless. I would have gone with Jordan Davis myself but then again that's not what the award is these days.

The problem is team record has way too much sway in this vote. I'd wager Matt Corral was the most impressive QB thru SEC play but he is not on stage due to Ole Miss record (which ain't bad at 2 losses).
Yeah Ole Miss needed him more than other teams needed these other guys

Young is a really good player but also a product of the surrounding talent. You put him on a lesser team and it would completely change his production.

This was the weakest group I can remember. Someone had to win. Should've just given it to Saban instead for assembling the talent to make young look so good

It's an awful award. I feel this way just about every year. I stopped watching the ceremony.

My gut feel is because the past winners get votes, and they are mostly from programs that won titles and were usually QBs and RBs they just keep voting on that model of player. A more open-minded group would have voted for Ndamukong Suh in 2009 as he was clear and away the best player that year. Way better than the winner Ingram.

Maybe it's a sign of progress that Hutchinson got second this year, but Young won in a landslide so it doesn't feel that way (684 first place votes to 78 first place votes). Shout out to the 9 voters who voted Jordan Davis first place: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nca...nner-voting-results/hurt6hj6ikgb1xhblgdip9h96
Josh Allen was the best defender in the nation his senior year. A game changer. And, yet, I don’t think he received top 10 votes. Ignorance always impacts these awards.

Reactions: Mark80
Regardless of how good you really are, it doesn't hurt to have mostly 4 and 5 star players surrounding you. It would be nice to see how good these Heisman winners are if they had to play with mostly 3 star players. Could they still look like the best player in the country? Sort of like how good Josh Allen performed here in that situation, but didn't get a mention in the Heisman voting.
Doesn’t hurt to be a QB in the Big 12, throwing against those defenses.

To say Bryce young isn’t good is laughable lol. I agree that award has dissolved into the best QB and occasionally WR on the best team

Reactions: stuway
Josh Allen was the best defender in the nation his senior year. A game changer. And, yet, I don’t think he received top 10 votes. Ignorance always impacts these awards.
I still don’t understand how Josh Allen being NDPOY didn’t have higher consideration but Hutchinson finished second this year with lesser stats. And before someone says they’re a playoff team, Kentucky has their best season in nearly three decades that year with no where near the comparable level of surrounding talent that UM’s defense has

It's a beauty pageant anymore. I personally felt either Pitts QB or the Michigan D guy were better candidates.

Young essentially won it based on the last two weeks of Alabama. I don't think he was the shoe in leader before that.

It's a beauty pageant anymore. I personally felt either Pitts QB or the Michigan D guy were better candidates.

Young essentially won it based on the last two weeks of Alabama. I don't think he was the shoe in leader before that.

So playing acc cupcakes makes the Pitt guy better than the guy who broke the 85 bears uga defense?

Sorry 100% disagree.

Reactions: mebeblue2
What galls me is the Heisman winner being laureled with every other award for which he conceivably qualifies. Maxwell and O'Brian could have found unique honorees, I assume, based on some difference in criteria. Perhaps not? I dunno. If not, maybe they need to work on that, so as to avoid simply being "amen" awards?

I laugh at your statement when I see Danny Weurfel and Gino Torreta standing on the stage as previous Heisman winners.

Reactions: southindycat
I laugh at your statement when I see Danny Weurfel and Gino Torreta standing on the stage as previous Heisman winners.
Maybe Toretto but Danny was awesome in college and that was even the East was great and FSU was as well. That was also when it wasn’t common to sling it as much as it is today.

Jason White would’ve been a better example to laugh at or Eric Crouch.

Reactions: BigTimeBecks3500
So playing acc cupcakes makes the Pitt guy better than the guy who broke the 85 bears uga defense?

Sorry 100% disagree.
Thats fine. I think Pickett will be the better, longer tenured QB in the NFL when it's all said and done. Thats what Im basing my opinion on. It doesn't really matter because Young won the thing.

Thats fine. I think Pickett will be the better, longer tenured QB in the NFL when it's all said and done. Thats what Im basing my opinion on. It doesn't really matter because Young won the thing.

And that may be true. Nothing to do with Heisman and college though.

These awards usually go to guy on best team often in college and pros. I think young was the clear choice after the auburn comeback and uga win. If alabama played jn the acc young probably has 55 to 60 total tds against that joke conference.

And that may be true. Nothing to do with Heisman and college though.

These awards usually go to guy on best team often in college and pros. I think young was the clear choice after the auburn comeback and uga win. If alabama played jn the acc young probably has 55 to 60 total tds against that joke conference.
He might. He wasn't super impressive earlier in the season. Hell look at Justin Herbert now. No one thought he'd end up being the best QB in his draft class but here we are. And he played terrible PAC competition. Or Josh Allen at Wyoming. It's a beauty popularity whatever contest anymore with the Heisman. I find it interesting to speculate on but I don't really care who wins. Our Josh Allen absolutely deserved to be there and yet...nothing.

This is a offensive award only it’s not the best player award always has been and always will be because media vote points not defensive players media reports scores and numbers

Reactions: KingOfBBN
I said he isn’t THAT good indicating he’s not the best player in the country. He’s not.

I’d take that bet on him being No. 1. Right now, Mac Jones is the only QB Saban has put in the NFL that looks good.
That is a ridiculous bar. Any QB who is playing at all in the NFL is good. Young is terrific. Did you see the Auburn game? I smell Bama hate.

Reactions: IrishPokerDog
That is a ridiculous bar. Any QB who is playing at all in the NFL is good. Young is terrific. Did you see the Auburn game? I smell Bama hate.

He sucked most of the auburn game but rallied to win at the end. The msm went all in on his "Heisman moment" which was a pitch down field that was a routine play for decades.

Maybe Toretto but Danny was awesome in college and that was even the East was great and FSU was as well. That was also when it wasn’t common to sling it as much as it is today.

Jason White would’ve been a better example to laugh at or Eric Crouch.

Imo all those guys were incredible college players even if they sucked in the nfl

Uh yeah I despise Bama and Young sucked up until the final minute of that game and should’ve lost had Auburn back not let himself be taken out of bounds to save Bama 40 seconds.

Young isn’t even as good as Tua who was as obvious a future bust as one could be (just chucking it down the field to a five star against crap competition isn’t that impressive).

There’s times when a defensive star should get it instead of a QB who touches the ball every single time. It’s just an offensive player award for one of the playoff teams.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
Facing defeat against their biggest rival Bama got the ball on their 3 yard line with 1:35 to play, drove 97 yards, converting a 4th and 7 along the way, and took it to overtime where Bama won in 4 overtimes. I don't know another team in the country that could have won in that environment. The guy isn't perfect but that was a clutch few minutes of football which could ultimately lead to the national title. In my opinion, that drive to tie the game probably won him the Heisman. It was epic.

Facing defeat against their biggest rival Bama got the ball on their 3 yard line with 1:35 to play, drove 97 yards, converting a 4th and 7 along the way, and took it to overtime where Bama won in 4 overtimes. I don't know another team in the country that could have won in that environment. The guy isn't perfect but that was a clutch few minutes of football which could ultimately lead to the national title. In my opinion, that drive to tie the game probably won him the Heisman. It was epic.
that sounds like something Brady or as bad as i hate to say it Big Ben would do

We have some high IQ football posters on this site. And we also have some posters who just can’t help themselves lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishPokerDog
He was considered the Heisman favorite before the Auburn game. That game clinched it — even before the kid destroyed the #1 defense in the country in the SEC championship game.

Reactions: zcats

Tua went 3rd and wasn’t nearly as good as Young. Mac went pretty high too so should only help Young’s chances of going number 1 only. Over 4,000 passing yards and 43 TDs to 4 INT is number 1 pick stuff

Reactions: zcats
If Justin Fields fooled ppl into believing he was an NFL quarterback, then anything is possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT