ADVERTISEMENT

You should always foul

Maybe. Maybe not

But Reed ball hawking and and feet nearly in the paint behold his man is open at three point line …up three with 10’ seconds…pretty stupid play by Shep

Cal cost us a game tonight. Should have fouled As well as no time out. I know some don’t want to hear it but you can’t lose at home to non contenders in the conference and expect to win the conference or advance on the big dance. A horrible loss but I know some of you are happy we played close. UK will never see another SEC title or sweet 16 with Cal.

This shit is rigged. Why would you never foul under 5-6 seconds? How often has it backfired? Florida money line and the over.

Reactions: TFCats11
Does no one remember when Cal told Reed to foul in that exact situation earlier this year and Reed ignored him? You are falling for the "players always do exactly what the coaches say" fallacy again.

Good lord guys......... the real problem was NOT calling a timeout to set up the inbounds ... There is no way in hell you should let Reed inbounds the ball ... he needs to be one of the 2 players shooting free throws.. not inbounding it
Reed should always be shooting the free throws at game end. Good coach would have made sure, but not ccc

Cal cost us a game tonight. Should have fouled As well as no time out. I know some don’t want to hear it but you can’t lose at home to non contenders in the conference and expect to win the conference or advance on the big dance. A horrible loss but I know some of you are happy we played close. UK will never see another SEC title or sweet 16 with Cal.
Could not win a church league with ccc as coach

Maybe. Maybe not

But Reed ball hawking and and feet nearly in the paint behold his man is open at three point line …up three with 10’ seconds…pretty stupid play by Shep
True, he and Dillingham gamble too much

Reactions: K_TIME
This idiot doesn't even use his use it or lose it time out after repeatedly seeing his team make mistake after mistake after mistake in end half situations.

Should have fouled. I agree
Yep, that's true, but missed layups by UGO and Mitchell, Mitchell's and Dilly's inability to hit FTs, a non-call on offensive goal tending, and losing DJ who could have done a better job shutting down that hot guard, all were huge factors. I'll have to see the last 13 seconds, but it may have been one of those missed FTs that the other team grabs and rushes the ball up court before you have an opportunity to foul. Reed left him wide open and that led to the tying 3p shot. While Ugo was terrific tonight, his inability to finish at the rim was incredibly costly. All of those things are not on Cal. Get real.

People who know the game have been saying this for years. Those who don’t always get disappointed when they don’t win it all.

FWIW, Ken Pom shows slightly better chance of winning by defending instead of fouling.

Ken Pom Should You Foul Up 3
That’s interesting analysis that’s a lot closer than I would have guessed. I do wonder how those numbers have changed in the past 11 years between the growing emphasis on 3 point shooting and the fouling strategy becoming a little more acceptable and likely having a bigger sample size now.

Watch Reed....he completely falls asleep on the 3pt to push to overtime. He does this ball watching crap way too much.

Reactions: ukcatz12
May I add......why is ypur best FT shooter inbounding the ball, when ypu know they are gonna foul? I know Shep usually does. But in that situation he's gotta have the ball in his hands
Another lack of preparation from a coach who has ten million reasons to have his team prepared.

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
Good lord guys......... the real problem was NOT calling a timeout to set up the inbounds ... There is no way in hell you should let Reed inbounds the ball ... he needs to be one of the 2 players shooting free throws.. not inbounding it
This is spot on. Once Reed was inbounding ball all Florida had to do was guard Reeves, Dilly injured and Tre having off night, so sort of limited the 3 Threat. I just didnt get it. Let’s hope they get all the kinks out before March.

I think if we would’ve fouled accidentally, Cal would’ve put all 5 guys back in our paint.

Reed totally losing their best shooter multiple times, missed free throws, none of that was coaching but not fouling was and If your not going to foul, did Cal hammer it home to tell to stay tight on three point shooters that a two won't hurt because we didn't play it that way. Do we practice late game situations? Cal should have called time out before Rob took those foul shots and made sure everyone knows what to do on makes and misses to stay within a foot of anyone thats above the three point line .

May I add......why is ypur best FT shooter inbounding the ball, when ypu know they are gonna foul? I know Shep usually does. But in that situation he's gotta have the ball in his hands
Was it Arky game where Cal had DJ step out of bounds get the ball from Reed and then throw it in to him. Where was that play tonite?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT