ADVERTISEMENT

You know what really cheeses me off?

StubbornPenny

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2009
Yes, the prevent on 3rd and 18, yes the turnovers, we’ve been over it. Here’s what really makes me mad..

Davis scores and we go up 4. Every college coach, every high school coach, every 8 year old playing Madden knows that you ALWAYS GO FOR TWO. END OF STORY. 100% of the time. FULL STOP.

Being up 4 or 5 does not make any difference. Being up 6, sure they still have to go for the TD, but you stand a small chance at them missing the XP, resulting in a tie, not to mention future score implications. I understand it didn’t really bite us, and the chance to win maybe would only go up a percent…,

but this coach is paid NINE MILLION A YEAR TO DO EVERYTHING IN HIS ABILITY TO GIVE US A BETTER CHANCE TO WIN and HE BLATANTLY IGNORED AN ESTABLISHED BASIC FACT ABOUT FOOTBALL.

If you are not doing everything in your power to win, you are actively losing. You play. To win. The game. Forgetting is not an excuse. Playing it safe is not an excuse. It is malpractice pure and simple.

Reactions: UKat1 and GGary
It’s debatable. If you don’t get the 2-point conversion, you are up 4 and a touchdown and 2pt conversion puts you down 4. If you go up 5, your opponent has to go for 2, as they did, just to keep the game at a FG. Otherwise, a last second FG wins the game. So, Madden aside, this is not one of those automatic decisions.

Reactions: grevey35
Don’t agree. Here’s why: the chance of them missing the XP is very very slim to almost zero. Going for two and not getting it which we haven’t been very successful at leaves us up 4 and having to get a FG to tie assuming they do come back and score. I prefer taking the point there so a FG would win the game should they have gotten in position to do so. But Clemson went for two and got it so would have been for the tie anyway but at least we made them go for it there instead of us.

Let’s think

We go for two, make it. We’re up 36-30 Clemson comes down and scores a TD.

1. Clemson hits XP. Well, if we had managed the clock right (another maddening issue), we should have had about 30 seconds or so to get into FG range, kick, win by 2

2. Clemson misses XP. Still can tie or kick to win.

We miss the 2pt conversion. We are up 34-30. Clemson scores a TD.

1. They kick the XP. Clemson up three, 37-34. If we managed the clock, we’d have a chance to tie.

Clemson clearly understood this, as they went for two because being up 1 or 2 is no difference, but 3 is a huge difference.

BASIC DAMN FOOTBALL. Inexcusable.

It’s debatable. If you don’t get the 2-point conversion, you are up 4 and a touchdown and 2pt conversion puts you down 4. If you go up 5, your opponent has to go for 2, as they did, just to keep the game at a FG. Otherwise, a last second FG wins the game. So, Madden aside, this is not one of those automatic decisions.
Yes it is. Clemson does not go for two on the last touchdown if we attempted a 2pt before. Look at the explanation above. It is a 100% thing.

Reactions: UKat1
And if we stop them on defense, none of it matters anyway. You attempt the two to preserve the most winning options if they do score a TD.

I agree some of the scenarios are highly unlikely. But you should be doing everything in your power to give yourself the most possible winning options, and we did not.

Yes it is. Clemson does not go for two on the last touchdown if we attempted a 2pt before. Look at the explanation above. It is a 100% thing.
It is debatable. Look at the explanations above. Your explanation only considers making the conversion. That is a bad approach when you balance both options. It is debatable. 100%.

It is debatable. Look at the explanations above. Your explanation only considers making the conversion. That is a bad approach when you balance both options. It is debatable. 100%.

My explanation also covers missing the conversion. You didn’t read it all.

Let’s think

1. Clemson hits XP. Well, if we had managed the clock right (another maddening issue), we should have had about 30 seconds or so to get into FG range, kick, win by 2

1. They kick the XP. Clemson up three, 37-34. If we managed the clock, we’d have a chance to tie.

Clemson clearly understood this, as they went for two because being up 1 or 2 is no difference, but 3 is a huge difference.

No. We kick the extra point and we are UP 35-30, not 34-30. That is what you are not considering.

No. We kick the extra point and we are UP 35-30, not 34-30. That is what you are not considering.
But being up 4 or 5 makes no difference.

Ok we kick the XP. We are up 35-30. Clemson scores a TD to go up 35-36. In no scenario will they kick the XP because being up 1 or 2 makes no difference. They will go for two.

1. They make the 2pt. They are up 38-35. FG ties it.

2. They miss 2pt. They are up 36-35. FG wins it.

Same scenarios, but without giving yourself a small boost, however small, to win. I realize I’m talking about maybe a 1% boost, but that’s also my point. Whatever you can do, no matter how small, to increase your chances.

But being up 4 or 5 makes no difference.

Ok we kick the XP. We are up 35-30. Clemson scores a TD to go up 35-36. In no scenario will they kick the XP because being up 1 or 2 makes no difference. They will go for two.

1. They make the 2pt. They are up 38-35. FG ties it.

2. They miss 2pt. They are up 36-35. FG wins it.

Same scenarios, but without giving yourself a small boost, however small, to win. I realize I’m talking about maybe a 1% boost, but that’s also my point. Whatever you can do, no matter how small, to increase your chances.
It does make a difference.

35-30

They score and DON’T make the 2-pt conversion and now they are up 1 and a FG wins the game for UK. If they make the 2pt conversion, UK can still tie.

It’s debatable.

What really bothered me at the time was absolutely ZERO effort by the team to block that long field goal. When the ball was snapped, the entire team just stood up and watched. It almost looked the whistle had blown. Not saying it was, just saying that the team did nothing. Long field goals are the easiest to block because the kicker has to kick it lower. Go back and watch. Team took the kick play completely off.

Yes, the prevent on 3rd and 18, yes the turnovers, we’ve been over it. Here’s what really makes me mad..

Davis scores and we go up 4. Every college coach, every high school coach, every 8 year old playing Madden knows that you ALWAYS GO FOR TWO. END OF STORY. 100% of the time. FULL STOP.

Being up 4 or 5 does not make any difference. Being up 6, sure they still have to go for the TD, but you stand a small chance at them missing the XP, resulting in a tie, not to mention future score implications. I understand it didn’t really bite us, and the chance to win maybe would only go up a percent…,

but this coach is paid NINE MILLION A YEAR TO DO EVERYTHING IN HIS ABILITY TO GIVE US A BETTER CHANCE TO WIN and HE BLATANTLY IGNORED AN ESTABLISHED BASIC FACT ABOUT FOOTBALL.

If you are not doing everything in your power to win, you are actively losing. You play. To win. The game. Forgetting is not an excuse. Playing it safe is not an excuse. It is malpractice pure and simple.
Capitalism at work...

Stoops plays not lose... our HC that just resigned after being named Region coach of the year (huge joke, the assts cared the team..lol) he was so much like that... I may lose my job but the program will be better off

Let’s think

Clemson had no choice but to go for two as you stated no difference in being up 1 or 2. If we go for 2 and don’t get it, the best we can do is tie the game. Taking the XP forces them to make the 2 instead of us. I’m not confident in us making a 2 point try so I’m glad they played it the way they did.

sorry caveman , its not debatable .. you have to go for 2 there . Extra points in college are not automatic , and there's not any solid NOT top go for 2 . Heck they could muff the snap , he could simply shank it , we could block it .. all reasons to go for 2 . A grade school coach can make that call. Heck look at the card in your pocket .. it tells you what to do .. but Stoops blows it ? The moment is nearly ALWAYS too large for this guy .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT