ADVERTISEMENT

Would you rather

seccats04

All-American
Dec 6, 2004
Would you rather UK be in the ACC where we could compete for a championship in a weak conference? Or be in the best conference, the SEC, and be a bottom feeder? With a 12 team playoff coming, it would be much easier to get in playing in the ACC.

Reactions: blubo
I get the reason why you shouldn’t leave the SEC. But if we were in the ACC we would be contending for conference championships a lot of the time. We talk about our program taking the next step, the next step if we were in the ACC would be consistently winning conference titles aka become the next Clemson. Would be fun

• Love
Reactions: seccats04
Actual National titles would be tough either way.

When the SEC and Big Ten figure out a way to leverage their 50 million dollar profit advantage into buying the best players, teams left out of those two super conferences will be on the outside looking in.

I get the reason why you shouldn’t leave the SEC. But if we were in the ACC we would be contending for conference championships a lot of the time. We talk about our program taking the next step, the next step if we were in the ACC would be consistently winning conference titles aka become the next Clemson. Would be fun
Not necessarily....an awful lot of the talent we recruit are kids that want to play in the SEC and UK is their best chance. ...think Ohio kids that want to be close enough to home that family can come see them .

Go to ACC and that pool dries up .....we go back to recruiting acc level kids and we may not be competitive .

Not necessarily....an awful lot of the talent we recruit are kids that want to play in the SEC and UK is their best chance. ...think Ohio kids that want to be close enough to home that family can come see them .

Go to ACC and that pool dries up .....we go back to recruiting acc level kids and we may not be competitive .
Precisely. We’d be back to recruiting in the 45-50 range which would put us mid pack ACC and it’s also just a matter of time until that conference is ripped apart.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
You stay in the SEC bc the ACC will most likely eventually fall apart.

Also, I wonder how big of a hit our recruiting would take when we can no longer recruit on the basis of playing in the best league in the country. I think that has landed us a number of northern recruits who wanted to stay closer to home while also playing in the SEC.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
So, i guess from reading all the replies, we’re just as well to suck it up and remain as one of the sec’s eternal little brothers. could be worse i guess.

Yeah, if BCS playoffs or even top tier bowls are the goal/justification for leaving, we don't gain any ground in that regard by moving to ACC. It's the same 6-8 schools in the mix for play-offs and top tier bowls.

This move also assumes retaining same level of talent, but I don't think we would. We would probably lose ground in recruiting.

Best case we're in the mid-tier ranks winning 8 games playing in the Music city bowl.

Even if we catch a hot year, guess what we're fighting at season's end..."Ya'll ain't sh*t...we could dominate that conference...acc is weak...leave them out of the play offs..."

If just a couple more wins and finishing 2nd to only UGA is the goal...that's obtainable. We've sniffed it briefly. All this staff has to do is not lose to SC and Missouri. You figure we trade blows with UT and FL... some years we get them and finish 2nd, some years they inevitably get us.

If UK goes to the ACC they would start getting ACC level recruits. Many if not most of the better players we recruit or get through the portal are coming here to showcase their talents in the best conference in hopes of advancing their NFL aspirations.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
Go to the ACC and in a few years we would have no conference.

How about we find a way to truly compete in our own conference?
But we really haven't competed since the 1950's. And now the SEC will be even tougher adding Oklahoma and Texas and the league going to a 9 game schedule probably after next year. I just think the gap is gonna widen further once all this happens.

So, i guess from reading all the replies, we’re just as well to suck it up and remain as one of the sec’s eternal little brothers. could be worse i guess.
Will there be places that continue to have advantages? Yes. But as this super conference thing develops the advantages shrink some once you get past the truly elite and the value to how well you run your organization increases because all participants don’t have the same income and assets but they all have competitive level resources. The NIL won’t stay like it is right now and new rules will come into play. The new lawsuit in Oregon will probably force some adjustments even if the ncaa doesn’t introduce more formal rules but will take a few years to have some impact. The challenge for us is we need to be very organized in everything and in our coaching.

If UK goes to the ACC they would start getting ACC level recruits. Many if not most of the better players we recruit or get through the portal are coming here to showcase their talents in the best conference in hopes of advancing their NFL aspirations.
Probably true. But the problem is our 'SEC level' recruits are still nowhere near competing in the SEC. And our recruiting would probably drop if we moved to the ACC but that league doesn't recruit nearly as well as the SEC so we would be on a more even level and a better chance to compete.

I mean Stoops himself pretty much conceded after the Georgia loss that we are nowhere close to competing for the SEC title when he made the NIL comment.

But we really haven't competed since the 1950's. And now the SEC will be even tougher adding Oklahoma and Texas and the league going to a 9 game schedule probably after next year. I just think the gap is gonna widen further once all this happens.
I don’t think the gap widens but it will expose how well we really are doing things as we lose more of the formula for managing outcomes.

This is right

Any football not in sec or big10 ain’t going to be considered legit here in next five years. Best player will want to be in those two conferences
The playoffs will still take 1-2 teams from the ACC every year and we'd have a much easier time competing for one of those spots (see UL this year) than we will in the SEC.

Reactions: blubo and K_TIME
Precisely. We’d be back to recruiting in the 45-50 range which would put us mid pack ACC and it’s also just a matter of time until that conference is ripped apart.
Mid pack in the ACC is still much easier to overcome vs being in the bottom 3 or 4 in the 16 team SEC. This is my point.

Reactions: blubo and bluecoon1
Don't get me wrong it's fun playing in the SEC and getting to play Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, etc every year. But now we'll also be adding a couple of games from Bama, Auburn, Texas, Oklahoma, TxAm, etc every year. How much fun is it gonna be to get our teeth kicked in 90% of the time? We won't be able to feast on a down Missouri and S Carolina, Vandy and Miss St every year anymore. And now, UL is not an automatic win either with Brohm there.

Reactions: Docpath1972
Will there be places that continue to have advantages? Yes. But as this super conference thing develops the advantages shrink some once you get past the truly elite and the value to how well you run your organization increases because all participants don’t have the same income and assets but they all have competitive level resources. The NIL won’t stay like it is right now and new rules will come into play. The new lawsuit in Oregon will probably force some adjustments even if the ncaa doesn’t introduce more formal rules but will take a few years to have some impact. The challenge for us is we need to be very organized in everything and in our coaching.
And, all that could very well be true, but if all that does happen it will be equally applied to sec teams and uk will remain on the same rung as now.

SEC is best fit as a total picture. For Volleyball track baseball ETC SEC works well for our teams. UK would struggle to be top tier regardless of conference in Football given recruoting base but have a winning Iowa or Wisconsin like program is achieveable with the occasional shot at big upsets. Basketball should be Elite regardless. SEC money is good.

THIS. And when it happens, UK would never get back in SEC. The B1G not going anywhere & if we was there, at least they have a lot more mediocre teams we could compete with.

This... I don't even know why it's even a subject to discuss..... you would have to fail basic money math to be in favor of a move to the ACC..

Or we could realize we’re extremely fortunate to be one of like 30 teams in the only two conferences that will matter after this year.
We also have a transfer portal and can pay players.

There’s NO reason we shouldn’t be able to compete for one of those 12 spots with an overwhelming majority of our best players being transfers from all the other teams not in the sec or big whatever they are now.

Reactions: vhcat70
How does that make it better for uk fans?
This. Who cares about the money, right? We've been told all year, "who cares how much money Stoops/Cal makes, it's not your money." Why do I care if UK makes a bunch of money. Hopefully they turn around and spend the majority of it on football but you know what? So are the other football powerhouses who are already ahead of us and most likely will be throughout future seasons.

I want to win. I want conference titles. I wanna go to the 12 team playoff. All of those are unlikely in the new look SEC.

This. Who cares about the money, right? We've been told all year, "who cares how much money Stoops/Cal makes, it's not your money." Why do I care if UK makes a bunch of money. Hopefully they turn around and spend the majority of it on football but you know what? So are the other football powerhouses who are already ahead of us and most likely will be throughout future seasons.

I want to win. I want conference titles. I wanna go to the 12 team playoff. All of those are unlikely in the new look SEC.
damn hard head.. you do know your performance will drop with less money right? Give it a rest already.

Reactions: mrschwump
The bid came in the late 90s when C.M. Newton was the AD. The AD of Duke on behalf the conference, came to Lexington and extended the invite. At that time we obviously had not made a commitment to trying to be a complete athletic department that could compete in the SEC where we are a Founding Member. It was tempting because of basketball and the commitment and a lack of expansion that has now gone in the ACC being weaker in basketball. But C.M. stuck with loyalty to being a founding member and our history of the SEC and declined. At the time, I thought it was a mistake, but in 2023, it was one of the best moves ever made for UK and its Athletics programs that could be not be more stable because of being a SEC member.

Reactions: Deeeefense
5 years from now you won’t be able to compete for a national championship in the ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT