ADVERTISEMENT

Would you rather pitch a Perfect Game or win a World Series?

Would you rather pitch a Perfect Game or win a World Series?

• Perfect Game (never win a ring)

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Win World Series as a Starter

Votes: 14 70.0%

• Total voters

HeismaNole

Sophomore
Nov 29, 2023
On a bit of a baseball movie kick lately watching Field of Dreams, For Love of the Game, and Moneyball on Peacock. It got me thinking what would be the more desired accomplishment?

Personally, I’d go with the Perfect Game. There’s been what? Only like 20 people to ever do that? Most times, people couldn’t tell you who won the World Series three years prior. So, I’d take an average career with one Perfect Game over a ring.

You?

In 150+ years of Major League Baseball (238,500+ games), a perfect game's only been achieved 24 times -- 22 since the modern era began in the early 1900s. Cy Young threw the first perfect game under modern rules, in the deadball era, in 1904.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cy_Young's_perfect_game

It's one of the rarest accomplishments in all of sports, so that's what I'd go with.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeismaNole
iu

Reactions: Col. Angus
While pitching a perfect game is an awesome achievement only accomplished by a handful of people, winning a World Series is a feat that makes you praised by your teammates and your entire fan base.
Personally, I don't care about praise by others. Only from within, did I do well. Team success is very important to me.
Had the OP not said "you were a starter" for the WS, I would have easily said Perfect Game. If OP had said you won Game 7, or were WS MVP or something else that indicates might not have won the WS without you, then I would have easily said World Series. But just that you were a starter, but no info on how you did, to me puts it in that gray area. I might lean slightly to Perfect Game, and no WS doesn't mean your teams didn't have lots of success in your career (e.g. I think the Kelly Bills were very successful despite no SB win).

Reactions: HeismaNole
Myself, winning a championship trumps ANY individual accomplishment. Now throwing a no hitter / perfect game while winning the championship would be a dream come true, but if forced to pick, give me the ring. I am pretty sure Barry Sanders would agree. I mean Greg Maddux, Steve Carlton, Pedro Martinez, Curt Shilling, and the great Roger Clemons, never threw a no-no. ALL HOF pitchers. Cy Young, Sandy Koufax, randy Johnson are pitchers who never threw a perfect game. team accomplishments always take honors over personal accomplishments. Your goal is to be the best team every year, not be perfect for ONE game.

Guys like Domingo German, Phillip Humber, Dallas Braden, Len Barker, have thrown a perfect game.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
Craziest perfect game stat is that none happened between 1922 - 1956 and then you had 3 in the same year (2012). Give me a decent career and starting pitcher in the World Series where we won the ring over a perfect game any day of the week.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
A perfect game is a team accomplishment, fellas -- the catcher calls every pitch, and your nine defensive players can't make a single mistake.
GAME, as in ONE. That is not as great as winning the championship. That just means you was great for ONE game. Winning a championship means you are the best TEAM in your sport, not best player for ONE game. Barry Sanders, Walter Peyton, several others, won rushing titles, hold individual records or known as THE BEST at their position, but they would gladly trade those awards for a championship.

I do not think any great player when setting goals for the year, would ever list throwing a perfect game above winning the championship. Same in football, or NBA, rushing titles and scoring titles are secondary compared to winning a ring. You do not get anything for a one game accomplishment, you get a ring and trophy for championships. Take golf for example, not ONE player would list a hole in one or sub 60 round as more important than winning a major of Fed Ex Championship.

I'd rather be a champion for a whole season over personal success in a single game. Share the glory with my teammates over my own single game success. More people will likely remember what team won a championship over what guy threw a perfect game on a random team (except for maybe the diehard fans). How about just throwing the perfect game during a World Series winning season? 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT