ADVERTISEMENT

Some perspective on Payne/Flint

I don’t doubt your friend and I appreciate your opinion. Your friend telling you that Clarke was coming to UK and would reclass last spring doesn’t really weigh on who was his primary recruiter. And I really don’t think giving Payne the credit for 5/9 guys paints an accurate picture.

Like I said, be happy to detail why I am stating this in private. Feel free to PM me. I'm going to stick with what I was told and why I say this. I'm just glad Clarke chose Kentucky, but my friend knows quite a bit about who/how things get done and not going to doubt him. He has no reason to make anything up and never has. He's also comfortable in saying "I don't know" if he doesn't know.

Just read Kyle Tucker’s piece, which was sobering. This quote especially stands out:

Obviously Cal and the rest of the coaching staff are a big part of it, but I think KP is really the guy that gets things done. That relationship we build with KP from when he first steps in your house to recruit you to the season when he’s pushing you — the way he doesn’t just tell you what you want to hear — that relationship just continues to grow even after you leave Kentucky.” — Tyler Herro

Reading the praise former players have for KP doesn’t make you think, ‘no way Bruiser can fill those shoes.’ What it makes you think is ‘no one can fill those shoes’.

On the other hand, this was interesting:

“They’re just making us feel very wanted,” Clark’s father, Kenny, told The Athletic this week. “The relationship we have with Joel Justus is amazing. We talk all the time. He texts Skyy all the time. They get on FaceTime. Same with me. There’s a real connection there and Joel has just been great through this whole process. That has been really important with all this COVID stuff, not being able to see coaches in person. Relationships matter.”

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
Excellent post, OP. It genuinely blows my mind how people can think they know better than a coach who is in the Naismith Hall of Fame. Literally, the man has been awarded the highest distinction one can garner in the sport and posters here want to argue. Glad you brought some perspective. Again, great post.

Let's give Flint a season or two before we start the Fire Flint mob. Indiana is a terrible place to try and land high profile recruits.

That's not how things work at all. Elite assistant coaches bring so much more to the program than you think. They do what they are told in terms of assignments given to them by Cal, but their expertise and most importantly personalities are individual traits. Payne could speak to the players on a level Cal couldn't because Payne was an elite player, who made it to the NBA from the perspective that nobody else on the staff had. He also was a guy who was willing to work with them and listen to them when they were homesick, frustrated, etc...or just wanted to put in work. Saying the program will be fine without him is one thing, but to diminish his impact is wrong.

Payne was the good cop, to Cal's hard ass, and he was the guy who had Cal's respect that if certain things needed to be said to Cal, players and other coaches often went to him/through him.

Recruiting wise, the thing about having elite staff is when you have 2 to 3 coaches who are relentless, connected, can close guys, and all the Head Coach has to do is show up on in-home and things are done....you get the level of success UK had from 2011-2015. The results speak for itself. UK rarely missed on top targets, and the staff was connected in how they viewed players but also could develop. Eye for talent/fit in the program. That's changed a bit and we've seen program still succeed, but not quite get to the level when staff was filled with the killers that I and some other fans would prefer. Doesn't mean you can't be successful but it's seemed like UK has been 1 to 2 players short ('17/'19) or just made bad choices ('16 and '18 specifically the Slice debacle, Quade Green) and this past year we'll never know how it would've ended up but my take was they weren't quite good enough to get to a Final Four/and didn't see SEC as strong as it will be this year or has been in recent years. Maybe I'd have been wrong but all we've got is opinions because unfortunately we'll never know.

the years the recruiting dropped off, other programs paid to get theirs. So I really don’t see any recruiting drop off. In fact calipari proved
He is the best recruiter in the world even thru those times we did not get top 5 guys. Others like greene I think were recruited because they brought other guys with them. So the whole recruiting talk to me is irrelevant when you have to compete with schools who hire their relatives or flat out pay for the kid.

I will suggest that it was Coach Cal who engineered the recruitment of Clark. Sometimes it doesn't matter who holds a recruit's hand during the run up to commitment. In other words, Clark was right out of Cal's Compton.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT