ADVERTISEMENT

Would you favor using AI for referees?

I would. I think it takes the bias out Of the game and you can’t bribe a robot . No more Higgins or his buddies trying to screw UK or Cal.

I have long thought baseball was missing an opportunity to have lasers call balls and strikes .

Awfully hard for a coach or manager or fan to argue with AI calls.
Now there comes a point where the sport is unrecognizable. When I can no longer throw a brick thru my tv when a real life ref makes a terrible call, we will have reached that point. Baseball now is at that point with the universal dh and pitch clock. Communist conspiracies to make us weak!

Actually holding refs accountable when cheating is obvious and a lot of the BS would go away. We don’t need AI, we need accountability.

Have a whole committee that investigates possible cheating. First strike is a hefty fine and 2nd strike is fired and possibly jail time since it’s interfering with betting. I guarantee you would see a fair game called and would be a totally different look to the game than what we get today.

The game is so physical now. If it's too exacting you'd never be able to complete the game. Everybody would foul out.
Makes sense to determine balls and strikes.
Players would adjust. It’s so physical now because refs allow it to be.

I would. I think it takes the bias out Of the game and you can’t bribe a robot . No more Higgins or his buddies trying to screw UK or Cal.

I have long thought baseball was missing an opportunity to have lasers call balls and strikes .

Artificial Insemination? Heck yeah. It’s amazing.

Now there comes a point where the sport is unrecognizable. When I can no longer throw a brick thru my tv when a real life ref makes a terrible call, we will have reached that point. Baseball now is at that point with the universal dh and pitch clock. Communist conspiracies to make us weak!
Don’t worry there will be a brick throwing app that simulates a real brick smashing into a TV.

But don’t download the free version, it’s full of dumbass ads.

Reactions: drbubba

The problem is, you still have to have the human element to program the AI. Who's to say an unscrupulous programmer wouldn't weigh the calls. Something along the lines of: AI must be 95% certain of a foul before calling a foul on team A, but only 75% sure before calling a foul on team B. I'd still be leary of gamblers and such finding ways to manipulate the software.

All I ask for is the folks in the striped shirts to be fair and consistent. I know they're not going to get every call right or be the call I want, because nobody's perfect. But if they would just be fair and consistent in how games are called, I could live with the rest. That's still probably asking too much though.

Just as long as John Higgins didn't get to program the AI that was reffing the UK games.

Maybe in the Matrix world they create for us the Cats win every game. If so, sign me up!!
This is an interesting proposition.

If (or more appropriately when) technology advances to the point that you can experience a seemingly completely real world via wearable technology, would a sports fan be interested in checking out of the real world and diving into a simulated world where their favorite team never loses?

If it were indistinguishable from the real world, would it matter if it was real or not?

I can see AI “outpainting” historical games. It’s probably already possible for those savvy enough. Imagine watching the 92 Duke game and seeing Laettner’s shot clang off the rim and then him crumbling in agony as Coach K sneers in the background.

They just need to give coaches a couple of challenges for anything per half AND if they are successful they don’t lose one. Then track which refs are consistently awful (we know the ones) and do something about it. Had this been in place we easily win the Wisconsin game in 2015 as well as the UNC/Monk/Higgins debacle.

Last edited:
Maybe a more interesting question is "Would you favor AI as an in-game Head Coach?".
I can't see anyway AI could do practices and player development. But as far as putting in the right combinations of guys, and calling instant plays, why not?

Reactions: travisbickle
Maybe a more interesting question is "Would you favor AI as an in-game Head Coach?".
I can't see anyway AI could do practices and player development. But as far as putting in the right combinations of guys, and calling instant plays, why not?
It’s well within the capabilities of AI to accomplish this.

I would like to see coaches challenge's be part of the college game. I like them in the nba game, the reviews don't take very long either.

I’ve thought the same thing for a long time about balls and strikes in baseball.

In basketball, because everyone is moving, it would take a lot of different camera angles for AI to be reasonably accurate.
I've done a lot of image recognization and you're correct. However it could be used as an aid for the officials. Providing a percentage of correctness of what AI found. I'ld start with flopping and charges lol. The officials don't always get the correct camera angle either.

Why not have AI monitor and eliminate stupid posts. It would cut down on a lot of wasted reading.
I ran this through Bard, Google's AI. Here's what Bard said:
There are a few reasons why AI might not be the best solution for eliminating stupid posts.

• It can be difficult to define what constitutes a "stupid" post. What one person finds stupid, another person might find funny or insightful. AI would need to be trained on a massive dataset of human-labeled posts in order to develop a reliable understanding of what constitutes stupidity.
  • Even if AI could accurately identify stupid posts, it would still be difficult to determine whether or not they should be eliminated. Some stupid posts might be harmless, while others could be harmful or offensive. AI would need to be able to make these kinds of judgments in order to avoid censoring legitimate content.
  • Finally, even if AI could accurately identify and eliminate stupid posts, it would still be a controversial move. Some people might argue that it is wrong for AI to censor content, even if it is stupid. Others might argue that AI is not capable of making these kinds of judgments accurately.
For all of these reasons, it is not clear that AI is the best solution for eliminating stupid posts. More research is needed to determine whether or not AI can be used effectively for this purpose.

In the meantime, there are other ways to deal with stupid posts. For example, users can block or report posts that they find offensive or harmful. They can also choose to ignore posts that they don't find interesting. By taking these steps, users can help to create a more positive and productive online environment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT