ADVERTISEMENT

Would you favor using AI for officiating ?

Catfanlou

Sophomore
Oct 30, 2014
There is no question with the advances in AI that very shortly robots will exist that can do a much better more accurate job of
officiating than SEC officials. I would favor using AI. It’s all about getting the call right and a robot woukd b more accurate and not subject to bias .

There is no question with the advances in AI that very shortly robots will exist that can do a much better more accurate job of
officiating than SEC officials.
I think the first Texas Instruments hand-held calculator could have done better than SEC officials dating back to the 70’s.

I would not hand the game over entirely to AI. But there are some things that could help: when the ball crosses the plane should never be an issue, as the ball and the plane could be measured to the nearest millimeter with tiny sensors in multiple places on each ball, etc.

I think the first Texas Instruments hand-held calculator could have done better than SEC officials dating back to the 70’s.

I would not hand the game over entirely to AI. But there are some things that could help: when the ball crosses the plane should never be an issue, as the ball and the plane could be measured to the nearest millimeter with tiny sensors in multiple places on each ball, etc.

I agree that is one area that a monitoring system on 1st downs and TDs would assure proper spotting of the ball. But other areas like holding, PI which require judgement would be an issue.

Reactions: The-Hack
Robots will never do an overall better job than refs, but some tech, specially on ball spots and TD's could be used pretty effectively. Couple sports already use it like Soccer, and Tennis. The NFL already has RFID chips on most players and in the ball to track movement, speeds, impacts, and other things.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT