ADVERTISEMENT

Would we still dump Cal for Musselman?

Muss recruited himself into a culture problem. He didn't forget how to coach, he just recruited at least some kids who have zero self discipline. Going to be a painful lesson for them to learn.

Don't worry, I'm sure all their loose cannon guys will be dialed in when they play us.

lol no……. Cal is a HOF coach and still recruits at a high level, and seems to be getting back to the swaggy Cal we have missed the last 3 years.
Recruiting as a coach at Kentucky is obviously much easier than at Arkansas. There is no way that Cal would have had the same recruiting success at Arkansas.

There is no way that Cal would have had the same recruiting success at Arkansas.
Of course he would. Unless it's someone like Reed, kids really don't care about the tradition and success of the program they play for. They care about the coach and now NIL. Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe didn't come here to play for UK, they came here to play for Cal. Before that class he was starting to get heavily into the one and done guys with Wall and Tyreke Evans. If he stayed at Memphis the vast majority of the five start one and done recruits that came here would have played for Cal at Memphis.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Of course he would. Unless it's someone like Reed, kids really don't care about the tradition and success of the program they play for. They care about the coach and now NIL. Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe didn't come here to play for UK, they came here to play for Cal. Before that class he was starting to get heavily into the one and done guys with Wall and Tyreke Evans. If he stayed at Memphis the vast majority of the five start one and done recruits that came here would have played for Cal at Memphis.
Before Cal, players came to UK because of UK's tradition. It started to change after Cal turned us into one-and-done university. You must be a newbie if you don't realize this fact. You must be one of those who think Cal brought basketball to Kentucky. Lol

Before Cal, players came to UK because of UK's tradition. It started to change after Cal turned us into one-and-done university. You must be a newbie if you don't realize this fact.
Cal didn't change that. The cultural of college basketball and what recruits valued changed. Cal just saw the writing on the wall before other coaches did.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Cal didn't change that. The cultural of college basketball and what recruits valued changed. Cal just saw the writing on the wall before other coaches did.
That is absolutely a lie. You fail miserably at revisionist history. Cal started it and other teams like Duke reluctantly jumped onboard after realizing that by not doing so they were allowing Cal to have free pickings of the nation's top recruits.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
People who despise Cal, have no clue if we can get anyone better than him. He’s made some really good improvements. And as of right now, this year he’s showing he’s currently one of the best coaches in the country

Yeah exactly lol. It proves players play for coaches and not programs.
Ok newbie, you go ahead and believe that nonsense. If Cal really thought that players would follow him no matter where he went, he would have taken his balls and gone elsewhere. He knows his act has grown tired in Kentucky. Cal is no fool. You might believe your nonsense, but Cal doesn't. He needs UK more than UK needs him.

• Haha
Reactions: shodaman
We only have 7 players and they’re all freshmen. Musselman took a picture with his players and trainers while we only have 7 players. 😂🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Doodah859
Ok newbie, you go ahead and believe that nonsense. If Cal really thought that players would follow him no matter where he went, he would have taken his balls and gone elsewhere. He knows his act has grown tired in Kentucky. Cal is no fool. You might believe your nonsense, but Cal doesn't. He needs UK more than UK needs him.
If Cal were at Arkansas he’d still be killing it and would have more instate talent.

If Cal were at Arkansas he’d still be killing it and would have more instate talent.
It is too bad that Cal doesn't have the same confidence in that as his worshipers. However, it doesn't matter about how much talent he has because he is unable to do much with it. No other coach has as many NBA players as Cal who has very little to show for it. So, if you get excited by lots of glitter and sparkles, you should be excited. However, if you are looking for production, there isn't a lot to get excited about.

Recruiting as a coach at Kentucky is obviously much easier than at Arkansas. There is no way that Cal would have had the same recruiting success at Arkansas.
I don’t know
He seemed to do ok at Memphis and UMASS
Granted UK should be easier but with his OAD philosophy (plus the rule changes) he’d have done pretty well I think in recruiting

Results are another story

I don’t know
He seemed to do ok at Memphis and UMASS
Granted UK should be easier but with his OAD philosophy (plus the rule changes) he’d have done pretty well I think in recruiting

Results are another story
I am not talking about doing ok; I don't think anyone would consider his recruiting at Kentucky as just ok. Cal never even came close to reaching the same level of recruiting success at UMASS as at UK. His recruiting at UK has either been at the top or certainly top 5 every year he has been here. I think that is way more than just ok. Coaches who have recruited at just the ok level have been the ones winning championships. I am more interested in what he does with his recruits than just the simple fact that he gets them here. His lopsided recruiting advantage has only produced one NC and that simply isn't good enough.

Last edited:
Phrase it this way....

Would you trade a 64 year old with:
6FF
1NC
3x coach of year
801 wins, 76% win percentage

For a 59 year old with:
0FF
0NC
0x coach of year
214 wins, 73% win percentage

???

I mean...no thank you. If I'm going out on a limb give me Tommy Lloyd or hell...even the Golden guy from Florida. I don't need a 60 year old who pulls his shirt off and does track sprints in the locker room...lol.

Reactions: yoshukai
Phrase it this way....

Would you trade a 64 year old with:
6FF
1NC
3x coach of year
801 wins, 76% win percentage

For a 59 year old with:
0FF
0NC
0x coach of year
214 wins, 73% win percentage

???

I mean...no thank you. If I'm going out on a limb give me Tommy Lloyd or hell...even the Golden guy from Florida. I don't need a 60 year old who pulls his shirt off and does track sprints in the locker room...lol.
I agree 100% with you. I certainly wouldn't want to replace one old coach with another one. I would be looking for someone in his late 30s or early 40s.

Or like actual reasonable people have to deal with you garbage you mean? Blows my mind the Cal hate given what he has built this season.
Those who have been around for a while are very familiar with Cal's ability to build programs and we are equally familiar with Cal's inability to do very much with what he builds. Lol, They don't give out banners for just building good programs. The program has to win something. If they gave out banners for talking BS, there wouldn't be enough room in the rafters for all the banners.

Last edited:
It is too bad that Cal doesn't have the same confidence in that as his worshipers. However, it doesn't matter about how much talent he has because he is unable to do much with it. No other coach has as many NBA players as Cal who has very little to show for it. So, if you get excited by lots of glitter and sparkles, you should be excited. However, if you are looking for production, there isn't a lot to get excited about.
Who worships Cal? Saying he would still be killing it in recruiting at Arkansas is worshipping him? Some of y’all need to seek therapy, a coach shouldn’t make you this miserable and irrational.

I am not talking about doing ok; I don't think anyone would consider his recruiting at Kentucky as just ok. Cal never even came close to reaching the same level of recruiting success at UMASS as at UK. His recruiting at UK has either been at the top or certainly top 5 every year he has been here. I think that is way more than just ok. Coaches who have recruited at just the ok level have been the ones winning championships. I am more interested in what he does with his recruits than just the simple fact that he gets them here. His lopsided recruiting advantage has only produced one NC and that simply isn't good enough.
Fair enough; point conceded
And I entirely agree with you about the results or lack thereof

Who worships Cal? Saying he would still be killing it in recruiting at Arkansas is worshipping him? Some of y’all need to seek therapy, a coach shouldn’t make you this miserable and irrational.
It isn't the coach that people are reacting to; it is those who worship him. Maybe you shouldn't let the fans who don't agree with you get you so worked up. Maybe you are the one who needs therapy.

Fair enough; point conceded
And I entirely agree with you about the results or lack thereof
Your points were well taken. Sometimes I let these newbies get me worked up and then I start firing in all directions. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Bkocats
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT