ADVERTISEMENT

Would Knox even consider doing this one more year?

KMKAT

All-American
Sep 17, 2003
Duluth
Wishful thinking, but we saw the influence of what the Harrisons were able to do for us

How much better would he be next year, instead of fighting for a roster spot or being pushed down to G-League stints?

Would Monk ever admit he made the wrong decision and would Monk be that much better after 2 years? Monk would definitely be drafted higher as the top SG.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Wishful thinking, but we saw the influence of what the Harrisons were able to do for us

How much better would he be next year, instead of fighting for a roster spot or being pushed down to G-League stints?

Would Monk ever admit he made the wrong decision and would Monk be that much better after 2 years? Monk would definitely be drafted higher as the top SG.
Monk absolutely needed another year. As good as he was, he is very perimeter oriented and if he wasn't hitting his shots, he did not add much. Sub par rebounder, defender and play maker. He also needed to develop some PG skills.

If Lyles had come back for a soph year he would have been a super soph and A-A. So would Knox but I don't expect it because Cal will tell him to jump even if he wants to come back.
I think Cal does do that and it is a disservice to most players. Knox is not ready for the NBA in any way. He is so unprepared that I worry he may wash out. The NBA isn't the most laid back group. Next man up has a totally different meaning there.

Let’s be honest Knox has a lot of holes in his game which he made strides on this year but a full summer and another year he could improve infinitely on and be one of the best players in the nation.I think he knows that and it is possible he returns.

I think Monk could possibly start on some teams but veteran players are not going to give up their spot that easy. I know this thread is about Knox but that's why I find it hard to believe that the NBA would want high schoolers going straight to the pros.

Reactions: Mr_GG
You have to look at it as a financial decision. It doesn’t matter if Knox “needs” another year in college. It’s about where he falls in the draft. If a player is a lottery pick, he should go. Williams from A&M and Bridges from Michigan State made a poor decision last year. They probably lost 3 million dollars of life long basketball income. Let’s a player’s NBA career is around 15 years. Williams and Bridges now have 14 years left instead of 15. Better start making money before you body breaks down. Therefore Knox and SGA. The rest will have decisions to make. If they can get in the lottery next year, then maybe they come back.

He ain't coming back, and for good reason. Someone is going to offer the kid a guaranteed contract. Will he play and last, who knows. But he isn't stupid, you take the money. Working on his game at the next level, full time, while earning millions - no brainer. I wish he would come back, but to ask that of a first round pick is just silly.

Regardless - he is what he is. Another year in college isn't going to prepare him any better than spending a year in an NBA organization. If he doesn't make it, he won't make it either way.

“It would be crazy if a lot of us came back,” Knox said. “With the recruits we’ve got coming in, next year we’d be really dangerous. A lot of guys could come back, a lot of guys could leave. I’m pretty sure next year it’s going to be crazy. We learned so much this year that we can help the freshmen coming in and we can intake next year. It’s going to be a great season next year, regardless of who comes in, who doesn’t. I’m really looking forward to it.”

https://kentucky.247sports.com/Arti...2-13-0D-E1-80-38180324_132019KentuckyWildcats

You can't focus on "will a kid improve if he comes back to college."

He'll improve at the NBA. It's silly to think the NBA doesn't have people that can develop talent and that they don't routinely do it

For most kids--being a 1st round pick is good enough. Why put off the money hoping you'll make more next season?

In the case of Knox--he's likely a lottery pick. Why come back and risk injury in hopes of going higher than already being a pretty high draft pick.

The kids that wind up in the G-league--there's no guarantee they won't be in the G league if they come back.

If Lyles had come back for a soph year he would have been a super soph and A-A. So would Knox but I don't expect it because Cal will tell him to jump even if he wants to come back.

"Coming back helps me and my family, helps the team, but what does it do for YOU?"

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Just so I get this correct. Monk made the wrong decision?

The #11 draft pick.

He is paid $2.9 million this year, $3.5 million next year, $4.1 million in 19/20 and $5.4 in 20/21....He should have passed up $16 million to come back for one more year???

The #11 draft pick.

He is paid $2.9 million this year, $3.5 million next year, $4.1 million in 19/20 and $5.4 in 20/21....He should have passed up $16 million to come back for one more year???
People assume that because you come back to school that you’re going to automatically improve your draft stock which isn’t true.

For some reason they also think staying in school means you’re automatically going to have a better NBA career because of it.

Would love to get Knox back for another year, that's the kind of thing that needs to happen for UK to get #9, but the odds of that happening are extremely thin.

If Skal can stick in the league, so can Kevin. Both players could shoot, but both lacked a high motor.

If Kevin ever played really hard he would dominate, but he hasn't figured that out yet. But I'm thinking he's going to figure it out in an NBA uniformuniform.

“It would be crazy if a lot of us came back,” Knox said. “With the recruits we’ve got coming in, next year we’d be really dangerous. A lot of guys could come back, a lot of guys could leave. I’m pretty sure next year it’s going to be crazy. We learned so much this year that we can help the freshmen coming in and we can intake next year. It’s going to be a great season next year, regardless of who comes in, who doesn’t. I’m really looking forward to it.”

https://kentucky.247sports.com/Article/Kentucky-basketball-With-season-over-questions-arise-on-UKs-roster-next-year-116592037?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=180324_132019_Kentucky Wildcats&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=7B-56-25-5E-6C-E3-89-8F-10-9A-F2-13-0D-E1-80-38180324_132019KentuckyWildcats

I think he's posturing. They all do it.

The only way he comes back is if he wants to be a top 5 pick. I'd give that <1% though.

The #11 draft pick.

This...people seem to forget that first founders are guaranteed money even if they are a bust.

0% chance he returns. I wouldn't.

You guys act like he can't work on his game in the pros especially with no classes to distract him.
It isn't his game I'm worried about. He is immature and I'm not saying that in a derogatory way. Emotionally and mentally, he isn't ready. That is dangerous. A kid like that could easily get overwhelmed and lose his confidence.

He ain't coming back, and for good reason. Someone is going to offer the kid a guaranteed contract. Will he play and last, who knows. But he isn't stupid, you take the money. Working on his game at the next level, full time, while earning millions - no brainer. I wish he would come back, but to ask that of a first round pick is just silly.

Regardless - he is what he is. Another year in college isn't going to prepare him any better than spending a year in an NBA organization. If he doesn't make it, he won't make it either way.

This......for those who even thinking Knox will come back you need to use common sense. If you were offered millions would you come back ?

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
The most depressing thing about this whole situation is how many of our fans are willing to put a bad NBA teams bench ahead of the University of Kentucky. All of you who act like you care about these kids futures are liars. It is fraudulent the way our fans believe this players first crap.

I don’t care if Knox is projected to be the number 1 pick and has Michael Jordan potential. I want him to come back and I wish our coach and fans would fight like hell to bring him back. Instead a lot of us take a holier than thou philosophy and try to act like it is selfish to put the Cats quest for # 9 ahead of the NBA.

The most depressing thing about this whole situation is how many of our fans are willing to put a bad NBA teams bench ahead of the University of Kentucky. All of you who act like you care about these kids futures are liars. It is fraudulent the way our fans believe this players first crap.

I don’t care if Knox is projected to be the number 1 pick and has Michael Jordan potential. I want him to come back and I wish our coach and fans would fight like hell to bring him back. Instead a lot of us take a holier than thou philosophy and try to act like it is selfish to put the Cats quest for # 9 ahead of the NBA.

I agree. It's obvious Cal can't recruit like he used to so barring that screw the kids. They absolutely should be fighting for our 9th rather than these kids futures. Cal was brought here to win championships not to produce future NBA stars.

Reactions: susan2361 and KMKAT
You have to look at it as a financial decision. It doesn’t matter if Knox “needs” another year in college. It’s about where he falls in the draft. If a player is a lottery pick, he should go. Williams from A&M and Bridges from Michigan State made a poor decision last year. They probably lost 3 million dollars of life long basketball income. Let’s a player’s NBA career is around 15 years. Williams and Bridges now have 14 years left instead of 15. Better start making money before you body breaks down. Therefore Knox and SGA. The rest will have decisions to make. If they can get in the lottery next year, then maybe they come back.
This is a myth. If they want to come back, GOOD FOR THEM! Let them be kids while they still can be. After so long and so much money, you're just counting paper. You can easily take the millions they are going to make and invest it towards generational wealth just as easily as making the money from the NBA. If they're really smart, they'll take the money from their first contract and invest it into franchises, stocks, real estate, etc. Just because they stayed one year longer doesn't mean they are going to be hurting financially in any way. Unless they're stupid with their money and blow it all on cars, women, possee, gambling, etc.

It isn't his game I'm worried about. He is immature and I'm not saying that in a derogatory way. Emotionally and mentally, he isn't ready. That is dangerous. A kid like that could easily get overwhelmed and lose his confidence.
This right here. Sums it up perfectly. If he doesn't make it on their timeline, it's bye bye Knox. Cya in the D League or overseas. You can tell Knox is still a kid physically and emotionally.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA

Why is it clear that he should take the money now?

Right on! Let's keep these players family's in the ghetto's. All the hell I care about is UK have W's. [eyeroll]

Right on! Let's keep these players family's in the ghetto's. All the hell I care about is UK have W's. [eyeroll]

Exactly, 4 years or a title. We bring players here to win until they do keep them in the ghettos. We are UK fans first, not fans of these players. The University, the coaches and the fans need to understand this. They should be fighting like hell every year to keep as much talent as possible.

It’s crazy how many people believe the only choice is between the NBA or the ghetto. It’s like you have taken this players first slogan, tattooed it to the inside of your eye lids, and then threw your brain away.

Not a soul on this board want some of these for sure lottery pick players to leave . We just understand why they do leave unlike some of you

Last edited:

Until the ncaa can make it far less risky for a player like Knox to come back its not gonna happen and this may be the most cold hearted post i have ever read on rafters to be honest. All of us want them to return but it's a disservice to these kids to keep them here if they aren't going to increase their stock. Now all of these players need to understand the realities of the NBA particularly the money management side of it and let that factor in their decision to go or stay

This is a myth. If they want to come back, GOOD FOR THEM! Let them be kids while they still can be. After so long and so much money, you're just counting paper. You can easily take the millions they are going to make and invest it towards generational wealth just as easily as making the money from the NBA. If they're really smart, they'll take the money from their first contract and invest it into franchises, stocks, real estate, etc. Just because they stayed one year longer doesn't mean they are going to be hurting financially in any way. Unless they're stupid with their money and blow it all on cars, women, possee, gambling, etc.

Lol, they are not smart with their money. They end up blowing a ton on houses, cars, jewelry, paying friends mortgages, friends bills, bad investments. Didn’t you watch the 30 for 30, Broke? Hopefully our guys are smarter. Believe me, I hope they all come back and we never lose a game again at UK, but it’s not going to happen.

According to a friend of mine in Tampa, the day after the game, the local paper had an interview with Knox's father who said they were considering a return to college. I highly doubt it and maybe a negotiating strategy. But, it would be nice. Supposedly, Knox likes the college life.

All of us want them to return but it's a disservice to these kids to keep them here if they aren't going to increase their stock.

This is the part that drives me nuts. To act like we are doing something wrong if we want a kid to come back and play at UK is the complete opposite of everything this program should be about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT