ADVERTISEMENT

Would a zone

When did he do that?

Calipari hates zones because it invites 3s and in a zone it’s a team problem instead of a player problem

He throws his players under the bus defensively all the time

He loves to blame certain players when it doesn’t work

He’s just a very poor X and O in-game coach

A zone is harder to rebound out of. But hell, if you ain't rebounding in man what does it matter. Bottom line is that AM will not shoot like that the rest of the season. Hell, they probably won't combine for 97 in their next 2 games combined.

This is why you just throw random defenses out, when you're that bad. Mix it up, keep them off balance. Maybe one defense starts to work, so you keep running it. Cal is not a good head coach, when it comes to just doing the basic shit.

Reactions: KyCatFan
Calipari hates zones because it invites 3s and in a zone it’s a team problem instead of a player problem

He throws his players under the bus defensively all the time

He loves to blame certain players when it doesn’t work

He’s just a very poor X and O in-game coach
When did he do that ?

Reminded me of when Auburn-who had just lost their best player the game before- put us out of the NCAA tourney in 2019. They had spread the floor on us and drove to the basket the whole game. A zone would have 100% definitely stopped that, but the jackass just sat back and watched it happen the whole game, never made the adjustment.

Clearly confused in stretches, for example we scored zero field goals in OT.

A&M played straight man, a switching man, some type of hybrid match up zone and a 2-3 zone.

We play man 100% of the time and get beat off the dribble or ball screen all day long.
We suck at defense overall but rebounding was a bigger issue. Along with the fact they couldn’t miss. You wanna zone a hot shooting team who gets offensive boards? It would have been worse. I’m all for switching defenses but this game was not the game to be in a zone.

Who knows what the outcome would be if we played some zone. Instead of going all out on playing a zone for extended minutes, why not change up the defense at times; play a 1-3-1 with either a quick player on the point or a taller player making hard to see over the zone, Why not use a 3-2 with two bigs on the back side?

I just think we are missing how valuable Thero is to this team. I truly think he would have guarded one of the two guards for AM at some point Saturday. Not saying he would have been a complete stopper, but he would have made a difference on a few possessions for sure.

Yup….would have taken their greatest weapon (dribble penetration) away from them.
Yes Sir! The overwhelming majority of three points made in any given game is off dribble penetration against man to man defenses. Just takes the first drive to start moving the pieces around to rotate for the open look.

That is MUCH easier to do against man to man than against a zone defense and even harder to do against a MATCUP zone defense where the zone is extended on the perimeter and they are matching up just like man on shooters.

You guys have to stop thinking of a zone defense as some stand still 2-3 that we all played in Junior Pro. A good matchup zone gives you all the benefits of man without the chasing, fouling, fatigue and breakdown for easy dribble penetration and open perimeter shots.

Now once again Ive said over and over I am fan of mixing the two and changing during games because I do like some hustle man to man at times to be more physical but when it comes to the topic of why are we giving up so many threes, its because your playing too much MAN and not too much ZONE.

Reactions: HalHR2500
We still scored 90. I don’t think we were all that confused. AM shot the lights out. If we zone them they hit even more 3’s and outbound us even more.

I wish cal played zone on occasion too. But this was not the game to do it. They were just tougher than us and had 2 kids go off.
2 kids went off because our defense sucks. No one could stay in front of them and that’s when u try something different only if for a little while. If you play the zone correctly, it won’t be any easier to hit 3’s nor is it harder to rebound. That is all a bunch of malarkey from people that don’t believe in zone.

We suck at defense overall but rebounding was a bigger issue. Along with the fact they couldn’t miss. You wanna zone a hot shooting team who gets offensive boards? It would have been worse. I’m all for switching defenses but this game was not the game to be in a zone.
We have the players needed to play zone. Cal is too damn lazy to teach it.

2 kids went off because our defense sucks. No one could stay in front of them and that’s when u try something different only if for a little while. If you play the zone correctly, it won’t be any easier to hit 3’s nor is it harder to rebound. That is all a bunch of malarkey from people that don’t believe in zone.
I like zone. I’ve coached zone myself. But a zone does allow more open shots. It’s a ball stopper first. I want cal to incorporate zone and I always have. I just don’t think it would have made much of a difference in this game. They were just tougher point blank.

No, we do the same thing for 40-45 minutes no matter what. Man to man defense is the only defense that works at the University of Kentucky.
No, we do not try something different even for 4-5 minutes a half because there is no way it is going to work at the University of Kentucky. We just don't do that.

And people that have watched a lot of Kentucky basketball know within 5 minutes if an opposing player is going to be a big problem for the entire game. Because we also know there won't be an adjustment to make him change what he is doing.

Rupp use to have a 1 3 1 zone the back lines man had to run like hell to cover side to side Joe hall used it too

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT