ADVERTISEMENT

Would a zone

No you don't zone a team that is shooting 3's like A&M did today.
You do if you tell your team to favor their two shooters and make someone else beat you. Also most of their 3’s were coming off the bounce which if you are in a good shooting rhythm that is the type of shot you want. Most open looks on 3’s from a zone are more of a set variety and doesn’t necessarily mean you will shoot those just as well. Bottom line is it can’t hurt to try.

Hell yes use some zone. Make them go sideways. Mix it up.
Probably what these freshmen played in high school.

We basically were a turnstile on defense.

A&M was shooting 26% on 3s.40% on 2s. Poor poor shooting team. We have enough length to shade their shooters.

Can’t understand why with our athletes length speed size and quickness we can not stay in front or defend the high ball screen?

What are we doing wrong defending the ball screen.

Also are we reading a scouting report and staying on the dominant hand or taking the ball out of the better players hands.

Cant be any worse than the defense they've been playing
It absolutely can, which is why we haven't played it. It's not as easy as just switching to a zone. For it to actually work it would have to be something they've worked on in enough in practice. Given how bad the defense has been, practice time is better spent trying to actually make the usual defense at least good. It's better to be good at one thing than suck at two things.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Zones and cal nba
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Zones aren't that hard to run. You just have to guard a certain area of the floor based on where the ball is. Much easier than chasing a guy everywhere while trying to get through multiple screens. Our guys are horrible dealing with screens. We either get caught in a bad switch or we don't get around the screen fast enough. It can't be that hard to incorporate a zone for a few plays a game to mix things up. Maybe even throw in some full court pressure. Anything is better than doing the same thing for 40 minutes a game.

I think we should play some zone.
I want to make abundantly clear.
I must say, though, I do not recall announcers or commentators ever mentioning that teams should go to zone defense in games. Not sure why it isn’t mentioned, especially since it’s always discussed here … particularly after losses.

I complained last game about never using a Zone. Now against A & M for some of the reasons above it might not be a good idea. However, like last time when you allow inside out 3's that's where a zone would help. The answer will become evident when another team (if it hasn't already occurred) uses it and we see that A and M losses their offense or not.

One reason it might have been of value at least for a few possession in the first half was A and M dictated their tempo. They were the aggressors on offense and it might have thrown them off changing the defense.

If you can't rebound and you give up 3's in man already, what's the difference in trying zone? The weaknesses are already a weakness, but it also cuts off the driving lanes. That's another thing we are bad at. Plus if you practice zone, it might just help you perform better against it. Definitely would be nice to mix things up more. With all these guards, we should be pressuring our opponents more as well.

Is there any evidence Cal is capable of coaching a zone?
Delegate running it to an assistant who acts as defensive coordinator. Coach Welch could probably help as well.

Tyler probably played some zones in the pros and all the players did in high school. It’s not rocket science.

Throw some zones in as a change up and make teams go sideways instead of straight lines to the basket off high ball screens or the kick outs for shots. We were a turnstile on defense yesterday

Yes on the zone.. another tool in the tool box is always a good option... the unavailable option to use a zone limits Cal on his ability to become a better floor coach.

But they did not shoot the three that great in the second half. Playing zone here and there would have changed the pace, instead of letting A&M drive to the basket at will. Face it Cal's Kryptonite has always been aggressive guards who could shot the three but drive relentlessly to the basket, and without a really great shot blocker to clean up that mess, it is going to be a problem this season as well.

No but a zone would stop the other team from driving to the basket time & time again shooting layup after layup..... If I'm coaching against Kentucky. I'm telling my players drive it to the basket every time we get the ball & if the shot doesn't go in. We get the offensive rebound & put it back in. Since Pitino's 1st team a team with no size & no athleticism this is the worst defensive team that UK has had since I became a fan. And other than Adou Thiero we don't have a player that's man enough to fight for a rebound. No defense, no rebounders will result in another early exit from the NCAA tournament. Because there's going to be a game at tournament time when our shots aren't falling and your defense has to save you.

You switch defenses to confuse the opponent and keep the flow off balance...you know, like A&M did to us.
We still scored 90. I don’t think we were all that confused. AM shot the lights out. If we zone them they hit even more 3’s and outbound us even more.

I wish cal played zone on occasion too. But this was not the game to do it. They were just tougher than us and had 2 kids go off.

I think it's something you have to be working on all year. Cal prefers to have his guys play man defense and he usually has a lock down defender or two.

We certainly have the ability and talent for some of these guys to be great on-ball defender, and I think we should get there. I mean how many years do we generally have a great defense? Last few years weren't great, but I think that was due to personnel.

By the end of the year I would expect to see some games where a guy like Dilly is just a straight up menace to the opposing teams best offensive player or PG. And we DID see a bit of that yesterday when he was put on Wade at the end of the game. That's the one to watch, Dilly. It wasn't great defense but he answered the call and he did a nice job of not letting him get the ball on a few possessions.

You get a guy like that to do that all game, and it could totally change our defense. And I would not be shocked to see this more from Dilly.

We still scored 90. I don’t think we were all that confused. AM shot the lights out. If we zone them they hit even more 3’s and outbound us even more.

I wish cal played zone on occasion too. But this was not the game to do it. They were just tougher than us and had 2 kids go off.
Clearly confused in stretches, for example we scored zero field goals in OT.

A&M played straight man, a switching man, some type of hybrid match up zone and a 2-3 zone.

We play man 100% of the time and get beat off the dribble or ball screen all day long.

Reactions: KyCatFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT