ADVERTISEMENT

Worst case

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
Well for some of you, best case as you get excited at the thought of UK going down in flames.

Oscar told to not return. And I get this, because I do think while he raises our floor, he also lowers our ceiling.
Wallace and Toppin to NBA.
Fredrick to hang them up so he can walk painfree at 40.
Reeves decides G-league or Europe.
Wheeler thinks K St knows how to play short guys, ignoring the skill difference, but still has a good season there.
Onyenso and Livingston let their “people” decide for them what to do and leave.
Dillingham not qualify academically.
Collins transfers to Ark St to be closer to home and where he knows he can be best player on team.

That leaves Ware, and Theiro, and FR Edwards, Wagner, Bradshaw and Sheppard. And then try for 4-6 portal transfers, which are good for complimentary pieces, but rarely to be centerpieces.

I haven’t heard what’s going on with Dillingham (not a premium member), but if it has to do with academics, I would tell the NCAA to F right off. North Carolina proved the NCAA has no power to enforce academic integrity. I despise cheaters, but I’m tired of trying to compete with them while playing by the rules. That ship has sailed.

I haven’t heard what’s going on with Dillingham (not a premium member), but if it has to do with academics, I would tell the NCAA to F right off. North Carolina proved the NCAA has no power to enforce academic integrity. I despise cheaters, but I’m tired of trying to compete with them while playing by the rules. That ship has sailed.
Same

Reactions: pardaisy
I’ll disagree about the portal not being the place for centerpieces. I think our opinion of the players from the portal is a bit jaded due to us looking for complimentary players in the portal due to our existing rosters. Look at Baylor at Creighton, Texas whole team essentially, Kansas State, etc just for teams still standing.

Also in that worst case scenario I would argue the hardest player to replace would be the guy that hasn’t played in months essentially Ugo. Reeves- scoring transfer guard is the easiest thing to find in the portal, Livingston- tweener forward that showed very little in the half court, Collins- sadly provided very little, Lance- same.

I would argue this would have a very good chance at allowing a better roster next year. No Dilly/Reeves allows you to get in the running for best portal guard. No Livingston and depth bigs should mean the same for the 4 position. Without depth bigs you should be able to get some in the portal that have actually proven something unlike ours.

Worrying about keeping players with past lofty high school rankings that have been disappointments in college is not something a program like UK should be worrying about IMO.

Reactions: G-PIP
I think we all gave Collins a pass this year, under his circumstances. Many of us expected big things from him this year before…. So I think that improvement may just come one year later.

I like the portal. And yes you can find pivotal pieces from there, but I stand by my statement that they are rare, that they are mostly complementary (4-8th option, not 1-3rd option).

Last edited:
What about Edwards?
He'll probably be our best player next year.

But we need to load up on the portal. I just don't think Cal will be willing to do that, however, and if he does, he'll fail to land the necessary pieces to make a deep run.

Well for some of you, best case as you get excited at the thought of UK going down in flames.

Oscar told to not return. And I get this, because I do think while he raises our floor, he also lowers our ceiling.
Wheeler thinks K St knows how to play short guys, ignoring the skill difference, but still has a good season there.
Collins transfers to Ark St to be closer to home and where he knows he can be best player on team.

That leaves Ware, and Theiro, and FR Edwards, Wagner, Bradshaw and Sheppard. And then try for 4-6 portal transfers, which are good for complimentary pieces, but rarely to be centerpieces.
You have been listening to Cal for way too long if you think the way to a championship is making transfer portal players complementary pieces to our freshmen class. Have you noticed who is currently dominating the tournament? It is certainly not freshmen dominated teams. As with Cal, you are about 5 years behind on what is going on with college basketball. Also, why the hell should Reeves go to the G league to make less money than he can make in college? If he hangs his survival on this incoming freshman class, he is dumber than I thought.

Last edited:
You have been listening to Cal for way too long if you think the way to a championship is making transfer portal players complementary pieces to our freshmen class. Have you noticed who is currently dominating the tournament? It is certainly not freshmen dominated teams. As with Cal, you are about 5 years behind on what is going on with college basketball. Also, why the hell should Reeves go to the G league to make less money than he can make in college? If hangs his survival on this incoming freshman class, he is dumber than I thought.
Uh…I don’t listen to Cal at all.
And I’m not saying you should have FR led teams. I think it should be led by your Soph-Sr recruited players, guys who were highly thought of but were not a OAD. Ulis, PJ, Quickley, Richards, Patterson, Miller, Liggins, Lamb, Jones.
Guys like Wall and Davis don’t come around often.
This is why the thread title “worst case” because those experiencesd Cats might not return.

Reactions: fatguy87
Uh…I don’t listen to Cal at all.
And I’m not saying you should have FR led teams. I think it should be led by your Soph-Sr recruited players, guys who were highly thought of but were not a OAD. Ulis, PJ, Quickley, Richards, Patterson, Miller, Liggins, Lamb, Jones.
Guys like Wall and Davis don’t come around often.
This is why the thread title “worst case” because those experiencesd Cats might not return.
Based on what you are saying, why would you not want to keep Reeves? Surely, you are not done with him because he had a bad game against K-state. Without his play down the stretch, we would never have made it to the tournament. Reeves is certainly a keeper. He has endured a year of Cal and is unlikely to be negatively affected by Cal's Full Metal Jacket approach to coaching. Our incoming freshmen will be so shelled shocked by Cal's behavior that it will take them at least half the season on Prozac to become productive. Players like Reeves and strong transfer portal additions will be needed to sustain this team through our typical weak preconference schedule until some of the young kids are ready to contribute.

I haven’t heard what’s going on with Dillingham (not a premium member), but if it has to do with academics, I would tell the NCAA to F right off.
That’d turn out swell.

Last edited:

You are a very gifted negative person. You have made Kentucky fans so happy.

So you tell them you to F off. Then what?

Lawyer up and cite the UNC case as legal precedent for doing whatever you damn well please academically. Oh, and don’t forget to let a few regular students fake coursework too. That’s what makes it all acceptable! 😉

Reactions: Jumpercat
The true worst case senario:

All that happens (I think it will)

We have another disasterous season

Cal is back for 2024-25.

We will be beside ourselves.
Already thinking I will be checking out for a good portion next year. I might start the year off with the champions classic but a loss there to Kansas followed by 2-3 other losses in early December will probably have me done as will have seen that movie before. If all plays out as described and cal returns yet again I’ll check out for good until he’s gone. Only thing keeping me with options to watch next year is the hope that it s his last. I just can’t watch his shit shows any longer.

Reactions: UKMKG
Lawyer up and cite the UNC case as legal precedent for doing whatever you damn well please academically. Oh, and don’t forget to let a few regular students fake coursework too. That’s what makes it all acceptable! 😉
Oh. OK. Sadly, Greg Sankey who is the SEC president concluded UNCs business is their business regarding what is legitimate academics. The accreditation agency is tasked with policing their academics. The accreditation agency put them on probation. That ship sailed.

Last edited:
Short sighted viewing. It all depends on the recruiting class. If there's studs and you recruit well then things are great. The portal should be to fill gaps, plug holes, and build depth.

Nobody wants Kentucky to be bad or hve the issues they have, I never get why some on here use that as a point to negativity. Why would fans want Kentucky to be and or have players leave, that whole thought process is silly. On the roster of the doomsday scenario does happen, then the Kentucky team next year will be worse than the one this year

Reactions: BlueWhite21
I’ll disagree about the portal not being the place for centerpieces. I think our opinion of the players from the portal is a bit jaded due to us looking for complimentary players in the portal due to our existing rosters.

I would argue that we've gotten the very best transfer in the history of transfers. A NPOY, 2-time All-American is pretty centerpiece.

I'm not sure this is as cut-and-dry as you make it seem. For instance, Dillingham and Wagner kind of clash, same as Edwards and Livingston, as well as Onyenso and Bradshaw. Can they play together or sub in for each other? Of course. But I could see some of this as possibly being a blessing in disguise.

• Haha
Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT