ADVERTISEMENT

Workplace pet-peeves?

I'm retired but I have a part-time job at a golf course for free golf so here's mine...

Club members that think that "we" workers lost their clubs.

Member: I can't find my clubs...what did you all do with them?

Me: Hey member, have you checked the trunk of your car?

Member: Oh, I forgot I took them with me last time...

Me...

iu

• Haha
Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
I could list quite a few. But I’ll stick with my number one. Meetings for the sake of meetings.

I have a new supervisor. She joined our very large company with no knowledge of our industry, no knowledge of our operating system, and no knowledge of how or what I do. She tells me that every third Tuesday of the month at 10am, she and I will have a “touch base” meeting via Teams.

She rings me up on Teams last Tuesday to touch base. She wants to know if I have any questions for her. No! I’ve been in my position for 23 years. She’s been with the company of a month. She knows nothing. What am I supposed to ask her?

Thank gawd I only got a year to go before retirement.
Is she hot? You’d be shocked how often hot, unqualified women are hired.

Coworkers and clients. I mean, just PEOPLE in general I guess. That is the major source of discontent.

It's not that I HATE people, it's just that, when I'm trying to deal with a task or project, I don't want any interaction, until I present a draft etc. of the solution. At THAT point, there is no getting around input and discussion, but until then, I don't want to be pestered (unless I'm exceeding the original timeline, but if I see that coming, I would reach out beforehand)

I guess it boils down to this: Give me a defined task/project, and I'll go work on it. If I need further input, or something clearly needs to be modified, I'll call YOU. But it needs to be a one way street. Otherwise, you're just impeding the process. LOL

Also, I have no interest in signing cards or participating in Dirty Santa, department potlucks etc. Believe me, no matter HOW many times you say, "You don't know what you're missing" I can assure you, I DO...

Last edited:
“Oh good, you’re still here.” The timing is always bad, you’re getting sucked in for the long haul, and nothing good ever comes after those words.

• Love
Reactions: HymanKaplan
Off topic a bit. But has anyone on here worked remotely (out of state) for a company based in California, but did have to go there a few days a year? How bad and complicated were the CA taxes?
I live in Louisville and I worked for a company located in Irvine, CA for 7 years, another in Dallas TX for 11 years, and one in Atlanta, GA for 7 years. Each job required mutiple visits per year. It had no impact on my state or local taxes.

Last edited:
I could list quite a few. But I’ll stick with my number one. Meetings for the sake of meetings.

I have a new supervisor. She joined our very large company with no knowledge of our industry, no knowledge of our operating system, and no knowledge of how or what I do. She tells me that every third Tuesday of the month at 10am, she and I will have a “touch base” meeting via Teams.

She rings me up on Teams last Tuesday to touch base. She wants to know if I have any questions for her. No! I’ve been in my position for 23 years. She’s been with the company of a month. She knows nothing. What am I supposed to ask her?

Thank gawd I only got a year to go before retirement.

I feel like a lot of the PM folks, and other types who don't actually provide true work, love to schedule meetings for the sake of meetings, just to prove their value. I have several of those that could be emails, but if they were just automated emails, then this person wouldn't really be needed.

And similar to this, are those "working sessions", where I'm driving and tinkering, and 10 other people are on the meeting watching what I do. Because again, if they didn't have meetings to sit in, they wouldn't be given a salary. If I ever find myself in those meetings and I'm not working, I always ask "Am I needed for these two hours?" and if no one responds I just leave and continue on with my actual work.

Good for you on retiring soon. I can't wait to be out of the corporate world. I hate this place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT